Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns vs. Chiefs: Really? Edition

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns vs. Chiefs: Really? Edition

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:06 pm

So, is Campell's ability to move the team down the field just more proof Holmgren was doing it wrong? (HINT: This is a rhetorical question)

This game unexpectedly became entertaining.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Browns vs. Chiefs: Really? Edition

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:11 pm

i never thought of Alex Smith as elusive but damn he's making our D look keystone copish.
municipalmutt

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Brutal game by Bess. single handedly lost this game between his 4,356 drops and the critical punt return fumble. They should leave him in KC as punishment.
municipalmutt

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Who had the worse game: Cousins in the opener or Bess at KC?
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:01 pm

I was there, and I could smell the Bess stank from my seat.
I am in disbelief he actually lead the nfl in 3rd down catches last year. One could characterise his drops on unfamilieraly with Jason Campbell, but there is no excuse when the ball hits you in the hands. Whether its Tebow, Brees, or Campbell throwing you got to catch it. He couldn't catch a cold out there today.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm

kman_holla8 wrote:I was there, and I could smell the Bess stank from my seat.
I am in disbelief he actually lead the nfl in 3rd down catches last year. One could characterise his drops on unfamilieraly with Jason Campbell, but there is no excuse when the ball hits you in the hands. Whether its Tebow, Brees, or Campbell throwing you got to catch it. He couldn't catch a cold out there today.

"The Art of the Tank" by Bess. Truly a masterpiece.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:26 pm

bookelly wrote:
kman_holla8 wrote:I was there, and I could smell the Bess stank from my seat.

"The Art of the Tank" by Bess. Truly a masterpiece.

I'm starting to get the sense this team is going to some how stumble it's way to 7-9 or 8-8. It's not going to be pretty, but now that they have a marginal QB behind center there is just to much fight , and god forbid talent in this team to tank.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:46 am

Nah, I think you saw their very best effort on Sunday. As the season goes on and the losses pile up, they'll stop trying so hard.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 am

Hikohadon wrote:Nah, I think you saw their very best effort on Sunday. As the season goes on and the losses pile up, they'll stop trying so hard.

(Head in Hands) Yep, I can't fault the logic in this statement. ::doh::
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:00 am

Yesterday was a snapshot of the NFL. There really isn't much difference between the 8-0 Chiefs and the Browns. The Chiefs acquired a competent NFL quarterback this year who is not great but the last few years has proven he can win in the NFL. I remember the threads last year and the discussions on whether the Browns should trade for Alex Smith. One of the main arguments is he was younger than Weeden thus had a bigger upside!! You saw Alex Smith and a poor man's Alex Smith in Jason Campbell fart around for 4 quarters in a pretty evenly matched game. When the Browns get semi-competent qb play they are fine...as in the 3 Hoyer starts....in the 3rd one when he got hurt, Weeden came in and played fine for 3 quarters and he played fine the first half against Detroit and they took a 17-7 lead against a decent team. Weeden's last 6 quarters were then a complete abomination and they were destroyed 2nd half against Lions and GB. Yesterday, Campbell did not destroy stuff and they competed with an 8-0 team.

They beat the 6-2 Bengals....they outplayed the 5-3 Lions for a half with Weeden at qb, and they played with the 8-0 Chiefs yesterday. They play Baltimore at home, Jacksonville, two with the Steelers, the Jets, the Bears at home. I somewhat agree that they could easily go 7-9 and play .500 their last 8.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:43 am

To further that, what also can't or shouldn't be ignored is the effect on the rest of the club when they get "competent" QB play. When Campbell looked like shit and the offense was on the field for 9 plays over the first three drives the defense looked like shit trying to chase those backs and receivers all over the field against the Chiefs short passing game, screen game and inside running game.

Magically, when Campbell got his feet underneath him and the offense was successful, the defense looked much better as well.

Not saying the defense is great. It's not. But it, like everything else, is better when the offense is doing its part.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:52 am

The Clowns in the first half looked like a lower tier ITCL team getting beaten to death in all aspects.

As noted Campbell got the rust knocked off and inspired everyone in the 2nd half........= another heartwrenching loss.

Bess ........horrid.

We are only 10 players away.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby scott » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:37 pm

pod2dawg wrote:
We are only 10 players away.

Closest we've been in 15 years, sadly.

I think they end up around 7-9 as well. Jets, Jags, Steelers still on the schedule.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby Spin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Whoever made the decision to start Brandon Weeden over Campbell and Hoyer those four games needs to be fired. If that's all the better they can judge talent they need a new career. Far far away from football. :gah:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Spin wrote:Whoever made the decision to start Brandon Weeden over Campbell and Hoyer those four games needs to be fired. If that's all the better they can judge talent they need a new career. Far far away from football. :gah:

I'm not trying to defend, but it's hard to tell until real games. In practice where there is no hitting the QB, and the preseason with vanilla defense and little blitzing...I don't doubt that Weeden and his cannon arm look awfully damn tantalizing.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:47 pm

Spin wrote:Whoever made the decision to start Brandon Weeden over Campbell and Hoyer those four games needs to be fired. If that's all the better they can judge talent they need a new career. Far far away from football. :gah:

Every damn person that watched them said Weeden easily outperformed Campbell and Hoyer in TC. We watched the Preseason games, and Weeden looked good.

Not their fault that Weeden shat the bed when the regular season began. Props to them for at least knowing when to make the change.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Heh....

Weeden was lights out in Pre and peeps were sucking his schlong and swallowing his jism...

Then I reminded folks of how Timmah lit up the Pack...

<---shrugs

More than likely they were the same ones who were blowing Sanchez his rookie year...

Everything pointed to Weeden... to question now is just stupid Monday Morning QB shit...as if 'you' knew

<---shrugs again
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL