Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Oral history of 1989 World Series

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Oral history of 1989 World Series

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Really entertaining piece on Grantland on the 1989 World Series:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/985 ... al-history

I was 8 when this happened, so my memory surrounding the event was pretty hazy. I love that when Oakland went to Phoenix to play intersquad games, Eck plunked Canseco with his first pitch and they almost fought.

My favorite quote in the piece though has to be this one:

McCarver: Baseball has often been criticized for having games start at five or eight Eastern [Time] for big events like the World Series, but imagine if that hadn't been the starting time. Just imagine the casualties — because instead of people already at home ready to watch the game in the Bay area, it would've been more devastating because that would've been in rush hour.

Of course, the game was scheduled to start at 5pm Pacific time, 8pm Eastern time. Right in the middle of rush hour. Keep being you, Tim McCarver.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Oral history of 1989 World Series

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Read this yesterday when Grantland first posted it.

I remember watching the beginning of the game and then to see everything that happened outside of the Candlestick area.

I went back to their piece on the Malice in the Palace, which is a great read as well
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 pm

I remember being a senior at BGSU, living in an efficiency apartment above some bar (a bar next to Uptown/Downtown). Lisa was over and we were watching that. But for the most part it was black out and, like they describe, no coverage for an hour or so afterward. At least nothing from the game site itself.

Interesting article. Love how Steinbrenner busted Fay Vincent's balls for not wearing a tie 36 hours after a disaster of that magnitude.

And love Eck hitting his own guy in the middle of the back.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Rickey Henderson probably called for a ride to the rest of the series b/c he only knew one route to the stadium.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:25 am

peeker643 wrote:I remember being a senior at BGSU, living in an efficiency apartment above some bar (a bar next to Uptown/Downtown). Lisa was over and we were watching that. But for the most part it was black out and, like they describe, no coverage for an hour or so afterward. At least nothing from the game site itself.

Interesting article. Love how Steinbrenner busted Fay Vincent's balls for not wearing a tie 36 hours after a disaster of that magnitude.

And love Eck hitting his own guy in the middle of the back.

Then Canseco asking Henderson if he thought Eck hit him on purpose,
Henderson chuckles- " He's walked 3 guys all season. "
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB