Text Size

No Holds Barred

This is Ridiculous...

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

This is Ridiculous...

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:10 pm

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/98 ... unk-friend

http://www.masslive.com/news/boston/ind ... _athl.html

Sad when the 17 yr old girl (honor student) is the only one doing the right thing and it costs her her captaincy and five games?

This story pisses me off.

WTF lesson is this supposed to teach her or any other kid?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: This is Ridiculous...

Unread postby coachMueller » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I've been in public education for 12 years and these types of "no tolerance" policies are sadly the norm. There is usually no choice at the local level. I saw a senior student council rep just months from graduation expelled for using a box-cutter to break down a box while she was cleaning up after an after school event. Another student I taught was expelled for bringing a medium-sized samurai sword to a football game. This may sound more dangerous, but he was a special education student who wouldn't have laid a hand on anyone. He was really into fantasy, ninjas, dragons, etc. and just wanted to show the sword to his buddy. Teachers and administrators might be trusted to teach children, but we are not trusted to have good judgment when a child might need to be punished.
coachMueller

Favorite Player: Mickey Callaway
Least Favorite Player: John Elway

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:31 pm

coachMueller wrote:I've been in public education for 12 years and these types of "no tolerance" policies are sadly the norm. There is usually no choice at the local level. I saw a senior student council rep just months from graduation expelled for using a box-cutter to break down a box while she was cleaning up after an after school event. Another student I taught was expelled for bringing a medium-sized samurai sword to a football game. This may sound more dangerous, but he was a special education student who wouldn't have laid a hand on anyone. He was really into fantasy, ninjas, dragons, etc. and just wanted to show the sword to his buddy. Teachers and administrators might be trusted to teach children, but we are not trusted to have good judgment when a child might need to be punished.

Fair enough and understood. No gray area when making the initial decision. That's fine. Sad, but understandable that peope we pay to think and teach aren't permitted to do so.

But what about the fact this didn't occur on school property, at a school event or based on teacher interjection? That it was based on a police response to, apparently, private property, during and after which they confirmd the girl was not in possession of alcohol, not drunk and was not charged as such?

This mean the girl also can't go to a restaurant that serves alcohol? A wedding reception? A ballgame?

On the surface this seems draconian and, well, stupid. If the strory is as the girl, the police and the media say, then it's pathetic.

This was a call that administrators made based on a

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Go on...
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:47 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Go on...

Oops.

Based on a policy they implemented to herd a shit load of sheep that doesn't apply to the situation at hand.

Why don't you dig into this and see if there's more than meets the eye. Shake down some CIs you have up in that area and get back to us with the truth.

Thanks. And yeah, if you have to shoot someone to satisfy my quest for truth and justice, have at it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks. And yeah, if you have to shoot someone to satisfy my quest for truth and justice, have at it

Fuckin-A!!!

:thumb up:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:31 pm

I saw this report and wasn't surprised. I can see the administrators all debating what would happen if they let this girl off the hook and then every other kid at a party just used a "I'm here to pick up my friend" excuse. Because God forbid anyone ever have to look at a situation and think of what is right and fair. It's all CYA.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:08 am

coachMueller wrote:I've been in public education for 12 years and these types of "no tolerance" policies are sadly the norm.

Here's the problem with these things- there is no room for judgement. The policy is black and white. Weapon= expelled.

School boards adopt these policies because it's good press. All it does is remove judgement and decency from some of the most hard working and understanding people in the world.

The entire notion of school boards is ridiculous. Let professionals make the decisions. Does a group of publicly elected people sit on medical boards?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/9826842/high-school-athlete-massachusetts-suspended-driving-drunk-friend

Sad when the 17 yr old girl (honor student) is the only one doing the right thing and it costs her her captaincy and five games?

Zero tolerance is stupid. However, pressure from outside sources (interest groups and parents) prevents rational case-by-case judgements. Just laziness and cowardice.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Orenthal wrote:
peeker643 wrote:http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/9826842/high-school-athlete-massachusetts-suspended-driving-drunk-friend

Zero tolerance is stupid. However, pressure from outside sources (interest groups and parents) prevents rational case-by-case judgements. Just laziness and cowardice.

nah, risk management and litigation costs killed common sense.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:30 am

jb wrote:
nah, risk management and litigation costs killed common sense.

Ding, ding ding!

Every decision is based on this statement- Could a reasonable group of my peers find this action negligent? The answer is always yes, and so every decision is made out of fear of what could be.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:29 pm

JB, I suppose I agree. My comment is more based on an ideal world (FIGHT U BASTARDS) yours in the real world (If we lose we pay bigger $$$$$).
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to No Holds Barred