Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Here's the full release from OSU:

Six years of Big Ten Conference schedules set

The Big Ten Conference released its nine-game schedules for 2018 and 2019 today

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The next six years of Big Ten Conference football schedules are in place as the conference released today its 2018 and 2019 schedules.

The Buckeyes’ 2018 Big Ten schedule will run like this: home games vs. Rutgers, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska and Michigan, and road games at Penn State, Purdue, Michigan State and Maryland. The Buckeyes will also play at TCU and host North Carolina in 2018. A season-opening home game is still to be determined. (See game dates below.)

And in 2019, Ohio State will play host to Michigan State, Wisconsin, Maryland and Penn State while travelling to Indiana, Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers and Michigan. Ohio State has non-conference home games set in 2019 against Cincinnati and TCU, and it will schedule one more non-conference home game, preferably on Aug. 31.

A look at the upcoming schedules reveals …

§ Ohio State opens Big Ten play in 2019 with consecutive road games: at Indiana and at Nebraska.

§ Ohio State, in 2019, will be making its first visit back to Evanston to play Northwestern since the thriller two weeks ago.

§ Also in 2019: Wisconsin will play in Columbus for the first time since the game earlier this season. (That’s six-year breaks between Ohio State’s last visit to Northwestern and Wisconsin visits to Ohio State).

§ After its home opener in 2019 (still to be determined) Ohio State plays Cincinnati, at Indiana, TCU, at Nebraska, Michigan State, at Northwestern and Wisconsin.

§ North Carolina’s visit to Ohio Stadium in 2018 will be its first since 1975.

§ Ohio State will play for the first time at TCU in 2018. The return game against the Horned Frogs in 2019 will be TCU’s first visit to Columbus since 1973.

§ The Big Ten begins its nine-game conference schedules in 2016.

§ The Buckeyes will play nine consecutive weeks of Big Ten games in 2016 without an off week.

§ Ohio State and Indiana will kick off the 2017 season Sept. 2 in Bloomington. The game will represent Ohio State’s first season opener vs. a Big Ten school since 1976 (Michigan State) and it will be the first time Ohio State has opened a season on the road since 1998 (at West Virginia).

§ Ohio State will resume its 2017 Big Ten campaign four weeks after the IU game. The Buckeyes will play at Rutgers Sept. 30 before hosting Maryland Oct. 7 for its first Big Ten home game.

§ The 2014 Big Ten schedule will feature a new East/West division alignment and include the conference debut of Maryland and Rutgers.

§ Ohio State will kick off its 2014 Big Ten season, and its first season as a member of the Big Ten’s East Division, with the first of consecutive games against the two newest members of the Big Ten, Maryland and Rutgers. The Buckeyes travel to College Park, Md., Oct. 4 for their first-ever game against the Terrapins at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium and, following an off week, host the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Oct. 18 at Ohio Stadium.

2014 Ohio State Football Schedule

Aug. 30 – vs. Navy (at Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium)

Sept. 6 – Off

Sept. 13 – Kent State

Sept. 20 – Virginia Tech

Sept. 27 – Cincinnati

Oct. 4 – at Maryland

Oct. 11 – Off

Oct. 18 – Rutgers

Oct. 25 – at Penn State

Nov. 1 – Illinois

Nov. 8 – at Michigan State

Nov. 15 – at Minnesota

Nov. 22 – Indiana

Nov. 29 – Michigan

Dec. 6 – Big Ten Championship Game



2015 Ohio State Football Schedule

Sept. 7 – at Virginia Tech

Sept. 12 – Hawaii

Sept. 19 – Northern Illinois

Sept. 26 – Western Michigan

Oct. 3 – at Indiana

Oct. 10 – Maryland

Oct. 17 – Penn State

Oct. 24 – at Rutgers

Oct. 31 – Off

Nov. 7 – Minnesota

Nov. 14 – at Illinois

Nov. 21 – Michigan State

Nov. 28 – at Michigan

Dec. 5 – Big Ten Championship Game



2016 Ohio State Football Schedule

Sept. 3 – Bowling Green

Sept. 10 – Tulsa

Sept. 17 – at Oklahoma

Sept. 24 – Off

Oct. 1 – Rutgers

Oct. 8 – Indiana

Oct. 15 – at Wisconsin

Oct. 22 – at Penn State

Oct. 29 – Northwestern

Nov. 5 – Nebraska

Nov. 12 – at Maryland

Nov. 19 – at Michigan State

Nov. 26 – Michigan

Dec. 3 – Big Ten Championship Game



2017 Ohio State Football Schedule

Sept. 2 – at Indiana

Sept. 9 – TBA

Sept. 16 – Oklahoma

Sept. 23 – at North Carolina

Sept. 30 – at Rutgers

Oct. 7 – Maryland

Oct. 14 – at Nebraska

Oct. 21 – Off

Oct. 28 – Penn State

Nov. 4 – at Iowa

Nov. 11 – Michigan State

Nov. 18 – Illinois

Nov. 25 – at Michigan

Dec. 3 – Big Ten Championship Game



2018 Ohio State Football Schedule

Sept. 1 – TBA

Sept. 8 – Rutgers

Sept. 15 – at TCU

Sept. 22 – North Carolina

Sept. 29 – at Penn State

Oct. 6 – Indiana

Oct. 13 – Minnesota

Oct. 20 – at Purdue

Oct. 27 – Off

Nov. 3 – Nebraska

Nov. 10 – at Michigan State

Nov. 17 – at Maryland

Nov. 24 – Michigan



2019 Ohio State Football Schedule

*Aug. 31 – TBA

Sept. 7 – Cincinnati

Sept. 14 – at Indiana

Sept. 21 – TCU

Sept. 28 – at Nebraska

Oct. 5 – Michigan State

Oct. 12 - Off

Oct. 19 – at Northwestern

Oct. 26 – Wisconsin

Nov. 2 – Off

Nov. 9 – Maryland

Nov. 16 – at Rutgers

Nov. 23 – Penn State

Nov. 30 – at Michigan



*The preferred date for Ohio State’s third non-conference game in 2019.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:16 pm

appropos of little, did Mitch Trubisky red shirt?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Yes. He was red-shirted.

And even with Renner hurting (when he's not sucking) they have enough QBs there on the roster to leave him red-shirted.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:42 pm

peeker643 wrote:Yes. He was red-shirted.

And even with Renner hurting (when he's not sucking) they have enough QBs there on the roster to leave him red-shirted.



That adds a twist to that 207 game potentially if Mitch plays. personally I'm betting he turns into a pretty darn good college QB. Greater than the sum of his parts.

Love the fact we have some NC quality games in the future. VA Tech is perfect. Not a season risker like mid Otts Texas but no cake walk. They need to earn it and face a challenge instead of scrimmages.

That's what conference play is for! Thanks delaney....
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 pm

2017 is a hell of a OOC slate with both Oklahoma and UNC. Probably get a MAC school to open the season, but even then it's still a good schedule.

2015 is set up pretty well to be the recovery post-Braxton as well, since we should be able to at least go 3-1 against that OOC schedule with whomever is starting at that point (either JT Barrett, Cardale, or a hot-shot top recruit, the hot-shot being the most likely in my opinion).
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm

fairvis wrote:2017 is a hell of a OOC slate with both Oklahoma and UNC. Probably get a MAC school to open the season, but even then it's still a good schedule.

2015 is set up pretty well to be the recovery post-Braxton as well, since we should be able to at least go 3-1 against that OOC schedule with whomever is starting at that point (either JT Barrett, Cardale, or a hot-shot top recruit, the hot-shot being the most likely in my opinion).


JT is the hot-shot, #1 Dual Threat QB last year. He is coming off an ACL early last season, so that makes RS really easy to swallow. Don't sleep on Cardale either. He will be cashing his first social security check in 2015, but he will also still have 2 years of eligibility (Grey Shirt, Red shirt, RS Fresh this year).

As I read the opening lines of that release, I was reminded how much I HATED this round of expansion. OSU was developing a nice rivalry with Wisconsin, but now with Rutgers and MD we will see them about 3X per decade. That sucks. Well at least we will get to play Rutgers and Maryland (and continue to be penalized for having a crap SOS). Following the next round of expansion OSU will be forced to schedule the top 4 teams in the country on the road in order to have a middle of the pack SoS, due to Delaney adding the Houston Cougars and Florida A&M due to their large television markets.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6414
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Well at least we know the B1G teams will spend all that enormous TV money to enhance the on field product by paying for better facilities, coaches and assistants..... HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH. Almost got that shit out with a straight face.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6414
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:40 am

furls wrote:As I read the opening lines of that release, I was reminded how much I HATED this round of expansion. OSU was developing a nice rivalry with Wisconsin, but now with Rutgers and MD we will see them about 3X per decade. That sucks. Well at least we will get to play Rutgers and Maryland (and continue to be penalized for having a crap SOS). Following the next round of expansion OSU will be forced to schedule the top 4 teams in the country on the road in order to have a middle of the pack SoS, due to Delaney adding the Houston Cougars and Florida A&M due to their large television markets.


I agree that it sucks to lose the annual game with Wisconsin. I'd imagine the chances are pretty good that we meet a handful of times in the championship game during the 6 years that they're off the schedule though. That will definitely add flames to the budding rivalry.

Also, adding Rutgers and Maryland obviously waters down the conference even more, but there's no reason that those two programs can't be perennially solid teams (think what Illinois and Iowa used to be). Both have pretty large HS talent beds to pull from and both could/should benefit from PSU eventually falling way down during their sanctions. The switch in the Big 33 format to PA vs. MD helps Maryland gain even more exposure in PA now too. I wouldn't be surprised to see both programs rise up behind OSU and Wisconsin (and maybe Nebraska if they get the right coach in there) as the next tier with MSU and Northwestern.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 am

neoleo wrote:
furls wrote:
Also, adding Rutgers and Maryland obviously waters down the conference even more, but there's no reason that those two programs can't be perennially solid teams (think what Illinois and Iowa used to be). Both have pretty large HS talent beds to pull from and both could/should benefit from PSU eventually falling way down during their sanctions. The switch in the Big 33 format to PA vs. MD helps Maryland gain even more exposure in PA now too. I wouldn't be surprised to see both programs rise up behind OSU and Wisconsin (and maybe Nebraska if they get the right coach in there) as the next tier with MSU and Northwestern.


You mean other than about 100 years of history? I don't think that history is predictor of the future, but it can be a hell of an indicator. If Rutgers and Maryland become middle of the pack B1G teams it will be because the middle of the pack came down to meet them halfway (cue JB).

I hate that round of expansion, but I hear OSU fans trumpeting it because of the TV$$. Why would we as fans give a shit about how much money the BTN makes, it is not like schools are using the cash to improve the football program. Do you guys care what the Browns cut of the NFL TV rights is? As long as the team doesn't move and the game is on TV who cares? Adding teams like Rutgers and Maryland actually works against a league that is struggling with its national competitiveness, and I tell you what, if the rest of the league doesn't improve the interest in it as a football entity outside of its major population centers will wane.

The fact that Delaney seems enamoured with bringing in UNC and UVA just further makes my point.

I agree that more money is generally good for the SCHOOL, but there are better ways to make money. The "but for Ohio State" campaign has raised nearly $1.8B in the last 3 years.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6414
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 am

furls wrote: You mean other than about 100 years of history? I don't think that history is predictor of the future, but it can be a hell of an indicator. If Rutgers and Maryland become middle of the pack B1G teams it will be because the middle of the pack came down to meet them halfway (cue JB).

I hate that round of expansion, but I hear OSU fans trumpeting it because of the TV$$. Why would we as fans give a shit about how much money the BTN makes, it is not like schools are using the cash to improve the football program. Do you guys care what the Browns cut of the NFL TV rights is? As long as the team doesn't move and the game is on TV who cares? Adding teams like Rutgers and Maryland actually works against a league that is struggling with its national competitiveness, and I tell you what, if the rest of the league doesn't improve the interest in it as a football entity outside of its major population centers will wane.

The fact that Delaney seems enamoured with bringing in UNC and UVA just further makes my point.

I agree that more money is generally good for the SCHOOL, but there are better ways to make money. The "but for Ohio State" campaign has raised nearly $1.8B in the last 3 years.


Great points. I guess I can say, that's my hope. I'm hopeful that Rutgers and Maryland overcome what they've been in the past 100 years because of the added revenue and the added exposure in some traditional recruiting hotbeds. My hope is also that the added revenue, and maybe even Rutgers and Maryland coming in and improving, actually lights a fire under the other big ten teams to get their collective heads out of their asses and turn these programs around to what they used to be. I mean, even OSU wasn't paying going rate for their assistants before Meyer took over and Gene was deadset against it before then. The conference won't turn around until they start getting top coaches again, and I'm hopeful that the expansion and the money that will come with it will help in that area.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Maryland HS have been loaded with talent for the past few years and is 100% a team on the upswing in terms of recruiting. Impossible to argue otherwise.

Ditto for Rutgers.

And if I can sign one school in the country based on high school talent in the area right now it's UVA who is bringing home some absurd classes.

There is plenty to not like about this round of expansion but you have to be really, really gawd damn stubborn to not notice the recruiting efforts coming from MD and Rutgers right now especially in a conference right now that can't recruit it's way out of a paper bag.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 pm

FWIW: Rutgers is currently #21 on Rivals, four places behind scUM for third in the B1G. Rutgers in currently 48th (with some five stars heavily leaning that way including a guy OSU wants badly in Prince) nationally which is a very solid middle of the B1G ranking that will be going up.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:05 am

e0y2e3 wrote:FWIW: Rutgers is currently #21 on Rivals, four places behind scUM for third in the B1G. Rutgers in currently 48th (with some five stars heavily leaning that way including a guy OSU wants badly in Prince) nationally which is a very solid middle of the B1G ranking that will be going up.


FWIW that's not really worth a lot. NJ plays pretty good HS ball, but most of their elite kids will continue to do what they have always done.... leave Jersey as fast as they can.

UVA, seriously? Yeah, they are going to get a couple of decent kids out of the elite home state talent, but really? The only thing they bring to the table is being one of the top 2-3 public schools in the country.... in academics. I really don't care about the academics.

Maryland.... see UVA minus the elite academics (with a mix of the getting the fuck out jersey/maryland thing).

Delaney needs to start turning some screws and making these schools reinvest some of this money in the on the field product or his network will not prosper for long. He also needs to focus on poaching the FSU's, Texas' and Oklahomas of the world. Fuck the academic fit.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6414
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:21 pm

FWIW: regardless of what you want to believe, for the last couple years all three of those schools have recruited in the top fifth of the B1G.

I understand you hate them being brought in and that's fine, really, but ignoring how much better they are recruiting and how much more potential those regions have then the rest of the B1G is just being flat stubborn. The Midwest is dying, period and with no population comes huge recruiting problems. Not to mention the south is doing as well in Illinois as anyone right now.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:28 pm

And obviously I would have preferred Texas, I just don't think that strengthening the middle of the conference is some disaster.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:24 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:FWIW: regardless of what you want to believe, for the last couple years all three of those schools have recruited in the top fifth of the B1G.

I understand you hate them being brought in and that's fine, really, but ignoring how much better they are recruiting and how much more potential those regions have then the rest of the B1G is just being flat stubborn. The Midwest is dying, period and with no population comes huge recruiting problems. Not to mention the south is doing as well in Illinois as anyone right now.

Are you speaking of specific areas in the midwest, b/c the midwest has over 60 million people as recent as 2011 IIRC.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:41 pm

How close was the big 10 to adding Missouri in reality?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: OSU announces B1G schedules through 2019

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 pm

It was pretty close from what I read.

At one point I thought it was probably about 75-80% likely. There are those that believe that B1G could still pull Mizzou out of the SEC. I am skeptical about that one.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6414
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard


Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests