Text Size

College Sports Arena

Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Does an undefeated OSU team make the NCG?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:29 am

My guess for a random Big ten team to knock off the Buckeyes is Penn State a week from Saturday. It makes no sense at all, and that's why I'm picking it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am

Speaking of how pathetic Michigan is, this is funny...from the MGoBlog:

http://mgoblog.com/content/picture-page ... y-football
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 am

Major announcement on future OSU scheduling happening at noon today. Heard a rumor about a home and home with Alabama. Don't quote me.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:53 am

I read that article yesterday and it is fantastic. I know I have been frustrated with the playcalling at OSU (in the second half of not so close, but not quite blow out games), but holy shit does Borges suck. I have seen every scUM game thus far except last week's. They are terrible and his play calling does not help.

He is the master of the square peg, round hole:

-He has a QB that can run, but can't handle the blitz.
-He has 0 decent RBs. Don't even mention Touissant as a decent RB, 27 carries for 27 yards last week.
-He has recruited 16 OL in the last 3 years and none are any good.
-The middle of his OL couldn't run block my kid's HS team, in the dearth of HS football that is CT.

Sounds like he should keep running the ball to me...

That outside zone, stretch play they run is not only predictable, but awfully executed. The only thing Touissant has in his favor is he is somewhat quick (not fast, and not overly quick), so by running the stretch, all they do is nullify his one capability and allow the DTs/SSDE to blow up the play at the LOS.

I now realize how critically important armpunt was to their offense. He was certainly not a good QB, but he did make plays and it was relatively easy to get him the ball. The only guy on scUM's entire O that I think would start at OSU is Funchess. Gardner may have gotten some time over Evan Spencer as a WR.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 am

danwismar wrote:Major announcement on future OSU scheduling happening at noon today. Heard a rumor about a home and home with Alabama. Don't quote me.

I read it was just the release of the 2018-19 conference schedules.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:58 am

furls wrote:
danwismar wrote:Major announcement on future OSU scheduling happening at noon today. Heard a rumor about a home and home with Alabama. Don't quote me.

Huge!

I'm waiting to plan my Rutgers party now!!!
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:11 am

You don't have to wait that long, jb. See you in Jersey 10/24/15.

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:29 am

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I wonder if it would be more clear if JB was actually holding a pointy stick and shaking at you guys while typing this.

Home, home of deranged,
Where the Hurr (you) and theDurr (FUDU) play.
Where never is heard a discouraging word,
And the skies are all Scarlet all dayyyyyy.

I'm pulling the Eye card here. You've been at soccer and volleyball games of sitting in a tree stand waiting to send Bambi to her maker. Don't even front like as if you've watched college football.

These two things can both be true and are not mutually exclusive statements:

It is a down year for BCS and there's probably not any truly great teams on both sides of the ball, altho Oregon may prove to be as close as there is to one.

The Buckeyes aren't that good and are overrated, have been playing with fire and underachieving vs very poor Big 10 competition and a high school NC schedule.

Michigan blows. But they are at home, they do have some players that can hurt yah, and the Buckeyes have yet to put it together against a BCS team with Miller on the field.

The Big 10 is pathetic.

I've watched each and every Buckeye game. Which makes me as expert as you on Braxton. Which is how I know you're trolling.

And if not flat-out trolling you're sticking your hand in the hive and hoping for buzz.

You know as well as I do what kid's mechanics were turned into under Fickell. And that when you mess with QB mechanics there's a huge lag while the kid adjusts. You can see improvement in motion and mechanics even while you can see the gears turning on the field and he's thinking rather than reacting.

Ain't gonna undo what they done in 4 games.

BTW, I've watched too much college football. What it's told me is that the entire sport is 'down' this season. I agree on Michigan being bad. And I agree there's a chance the Buckeyes slip and fall at some point. Point being, this season, as we've already seen, there's that chance for all these teams. I see no one in the game immune to it. I also happen to agree Buckeyes are Top 10 but surely not elite. But that doesn't mean they don't get to title game because of above. They have a solid chance of doing so IMO. Not because of them so much, but because schedule is soft and others will fall by the way side.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:48 am

furls wrote:

Yes, that's right. Not serious about the rumor.

danwismar

Unread postby Squints » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02 pm

danwismar wrote:
furls wrote:

Yes, that's right. Not serious about the rumor.

Alabama? Or Alabama A&M ;-) ;) :wink:
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I wonder if it would be more clear if JB was actually holding a pointy stick and shaking at you guys while typing this.

Home, home of deranged,

I'm pulling the Eye card here. You've been at soccer and volleyball games of sitting in a tree stand waiting to send Bambi to her maker. Don't even front like as if you've watched college football.

It is a down year for BCS and there's probably not any truly great teams on both sides of the ball, altho Oregon may prove to be as close as there is to one.

The Buckeyes aren't that good and are overrated, have been playing with fire and underachieving vs very poor Big 10 competition and a high school NC schedule.

Michigan blows. But they are at home, they do have some players that can hurt yah, and the Buckeyes have yet to put it together against a BCS team with Miller on the field.

The Big 10 is pathetic.

I've watched each and every Buckeye game. Which makes me as expert as you on Braxton. Which is how I know you're trolling.

And if not flat-out trolling you're sticking your hand in the hive and hoping for buzz.

You know as well as I do what kid's mechanics were turned into under Fickell. And that when you mess with QB mechanics there's a huge lag while the kid adjusts. You can see improvement in motion and mechanics even while you can see the gears turning on the field and he's thinking rather than reacting.

BTW, I've watched too much college football. What it's told me is that the entire sport is 'down' this season. I agree on Michigan being bad. And I agree there's a chance the Buckeyes slip and fall at some point. Point being, this season, as we've already seen, there's that chance for all these teams. I see no one in the game immune to it. I also happen to agree Buckeyes are Top 10 but surely not elite. But that doesn't mean they don't get to title game because of above. They have a solid chance of doing so IMO. Not because of them so much, but because schedule is soft and others will fall by the way side.

Top ten team, not elite is pretty much the best way to put it. They have a top 5 offense and middle of the pack defense (good against the run, bad vs. the pass). This year, that could actually be enough to get it done. They just have to play someone with a containable offense, and they've got a puncher's chance. Give Meyer 8 weeks to game plan and study film, and I am sure he will come up with something.

That said, I have 0 confidence in Fithers or Wickell if you prefer coming up with anything. OSU's only hope on D is that Fithers gets pneumonia or something in November and it keeps him down until January and Jim Heacock steps in.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

Home, home of deranged,

The Big 10 is pathetic.

How did Luke Fickell ruin Braxton Miller's mechanics?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:22 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

Home, home of deranged,

The Big 10 is pathetic.

His staff, his responsibility, he's ultimately accountable. Like most head coaches would be. And has been stated multiple times, Miller was more mechanically sound in high school than after Fickell's staff tried to 'tweak' his motion.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Top 10 team and not elite is pretty close if we agree it's more 8 - 12 is about right.

Top 10 due to schedule.

If this were John Cooper's Big 10 relatively speaking this is a 3 loss club.

If this were Earle Bruce's Big 10, ditto.

Even SV's early Big 10 it's a 2 - 3 loss team.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:29 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

Home, home of deranged,

The Big 10 is pathetic.

His staff, his responsibility, he's ultimately accountable. Like most head coaches would be. And has been stated multiple times, Miller was more mechanically sound in high school than after Fickell's staff tried to 'tweak' his motion.

Meh.

OK, let's run with the illusion that Sicilianao didn't coach Miller correctly.

It still means jack squat.

Miller's issues this year are that he's been sloppy with the ball which is a QB no-no and he's been hurt which is not his fault. You can make the case his option read is meh.

All that means is there are reasons why so far the Bucks sputter on O at times with Miller and Hyde has carried load.

maybe this improves by season's end. maybe it doesn't.

Miller was Miller because he was an elusive witch as a runner and made huge plays. That;'s missing this year. Hope the knee gets better.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:34 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

Home, home of deranged,

The Big 10 is pathetic.

Meh.

OK, let's run with the illusion that Sicilianao didn't coach Miller correctly.

It still means jack squat.

Miller's issues this year are that he's been sloppy with the ball which is a QB no-no and he's been hurt which is not his fault. You can make the case his option read is meh.

All that means is there are reasons why so far the Bucks sputter on O at times with Miller and Hyde has carried load.

maybe this improves by season's end. maybe it doesn't.

Miller was Miller because he was an elusive witch as a runner and made huge plays. That;'s missing this year. Hope the knee gets better.

I agree with that. W/O the threat of the run he's not a good enough thrower of the football to dominate. He's a better thrower than he was two years ago or even a year ago and I'm hoping that arc continues and that the knee improves to 100% by January.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 pm

It is a joke that Mizzou is in the Top 5 BCS standings. They beat UGa when gurly was hurt and UF when they were missing half there defense and offense has been lost all year. This week they play USCsr with there backup QB. There going to jump in the polls again.

SEC is overratted. The 4th best Big12team aTm comes in an cracks heads last year and this year the 5th best Big12 team comes in and is second best. Then as noted earlier in thread the best teams don't even play each other....What a crock. F Mizzou
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:35 pm

That's not an unfair assessment JB, Brax can however dominate a game with his arm IF his legs are working well and he is seeing things well.

His legs drive his game, but there is nothing wrong with that.

His lack of ball security is an unexpected issue and surely a downfall to his success this year.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

OSU being 4th in the first BCS rating is a surprise, and a help.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Pretty much where I figured they would be. There does seem to be a lot of growing support for Baylor these days. I don't know if Baylor should be ranked above OSU, but I sure as hell know that I wouldn't want to see them play the Buckeyes.

1. They are good.
2. They are Baylor and even if you do win, everyone will say, "Well, OSU beat Baylor... so what?"
3. Their strengths are OSUs weaknesses on O vs. this D, much like Oregon. TERRIBLE MATCH UP.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Top five of BCS, who has most impressive victory, who has played two good to very good teams?

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:51 pm

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:57 pm

Can't stand Baxendell. Even though I read 247/BN, I don't read a single thing he writes anymore, it is so bad I can't tolerate it. It is like listening to Rush Limbaugh talk about Republicans or Rachel Maddow talk about "progressives."

FSU has the best looking win.

No one has really played a great schedule yet. God, I hope you weren't talking about NW or Wisco... those teams are not good to very good teams. You could make the case that Wisco is good (not very good) or that NW is average, but that is about it. OSU's D is so bad it made NW look good. How impressive are OSU and NW's Cal wins now? It actually looks like they should have both had an easier time with them, because Cal is awful.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 am

furls wrote:Can't stand Baxendell. Even though I read 247/BN, I don't read a single thing he writes anymore, it is so bad I can't tolerate it. It is like listening to Rush Limbaugh talk about Republicans or Rachel Maddow talk about "progressives."

FSU has the best looking win.

No one has really played a great schedule yet. God, I hope you weren't talking about NW or Wisco... those teams are not good to very good teams. You could make the case that Wisco is good (not very good) or that NW is average, but that is about it. OSU's D is so bad it made NW look good. How impressive are OSU and NW's Cal wins now? It actually looks like they should have both had an easier time with them, because Cal is awful.

No I'm not trying to prop up OSU's wins by any means, just pointing out that there are few teams that have two wins against good to very good teams, from what I can tell.

I don't listen or read Bax very much at all, but I think he makes a very fair point regarding Missouri. A middle of the road Big12 team is controlling the SEC East. I don't think he is suggesting the SEC isn't the top conference in football, I think he is saying the gap between them and everyone else isn't near what it is hyped up to be, particularly the East. I just don't think his POV is irrational and completely homer.

With how much time is left on many schedules by the end of the year the teams that do take on a loss won't necessarily have the benefit of the doubt to claim they had these X number of wins v. good/very good teams and just get to dismiss the loss.

His other point, which is again hard to hard argue with, is this thing usually works itself out, the BCS that is. Since what 1981 only once has 3 top flight programs finished undefeated creating some controversy about who is what at the end of the year rankings.

I'm not the biggest fan of the BCS, but it isn't a completely inept system that can be deemed a failure. Frankly the biggest problem with college football (outside of the NCAA itself) is a win is NOT a win in CFB (like the NFL). Style matters, and way way way too much.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 am

kman_holla8 wrote:It is a joke that Mizzou is in the Top 5 BCS standings. < rant > .... .What a crock. F Mizzou

An undefeated SEC team in the top 5 is a joke?

Beam me up, Scottie.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

FUDU wrote:

Absolutely nothing.

The dif in the OSU O is Brax creating something out of nothing on the ground. pairing that with effective but not great passing and pounding Hyde is formidable indeed, providing the TO's cease.

But the D. The D. Oy.
jb

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:04 pm

jb wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Absolutely nothing.

The dif in the OSU O is Brax creating something out of nothing on the ground. pairing that with effective but not great passing and pounding Hyde is formidable indeed, providing the TO's cease.

But the D. The D. Oy.

I disagree on the passing. It was great last week. I am pretty hard on Braxton as a passer, but I have to give him credit.... He was sharp in that Iowa game. Those outs routes and bubble screens were NFL caliber. He wasn't just hitting his guys, he was hitting his guys on time and in stride. He really was tremendous, and I think we started to get a glimpse of his ceiling last week. It looks like an NFL QB ceiling too. That said, he had ALL DAY to throw because the OL was tremendous.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Spin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 pm

It's a little ironic (even for a Buckeyes fan) that the very elitist system Gee and his cronies created is about to screw his old school. Guess he never thought the rest of the B10 would collapse and the Buckeyes schedule strength would screw them.

Bye bye Gord...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Juannieboy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:51 pm

Spin wrote:It's a little ironic (even for a Buckeyes fan) that the very elitist system Gee and his cronies created is about to screw his old school. Guess he never thought the rest of the B10 would collapse and the Buckeyes schedule strength would screw them.

Bye bye Gord...

Help us Obie-Won-Kanobee...Alabama needs to suck a big weenie vs. LSU and Oregon be smitten by Stanford again this year.....your our only hope.
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:22 pm

You know what's weird? I have kind of reached this happy place where I don't even care if they play for the NC, as long as they keep winning. I am being totally serious. They are probably not the best team in the country, so I don't really care. I just want to see the Buckeyes beat the rest of the B1G by 50 for the rest of the year.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 pm

^^^ And whomever they face in the Bowl.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:31 am

furls wrote:You know what's weird? I have kind of reached this happy place where I don't even care if they play for the NC, as long as they keep winning. I am being totally serious. They are probably not the best team in the country, so I don't really care. I just want to see the Buckeyes beat the rest of the B1G by 50 for the rest of the year.

Be fine with that as well.

Even better when Meyer goes nuts about it, keeps gathering his recruits and then takes it out on the college football world next season and beyond. And by that time the Buckeyes might be bad-ass enough to bounce the big boys.

Which would turn the humps in the media around to be like, "How the hell did an undefeated OSU NOT make the last BCS title game..."

This could work out well.

But I still think if they win out that they get in.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:42 am

I too am sort of resigned to them not making the title game. I just think it's too long a shot to expect two of the teams above them to take a loss. I don't see Oregon or FSU losing. Bama maybe.

What I worry about is FSU and Bama playing for the title, and OSU getting matched up with a revenge-minded Oregon team in the Rose Bowl. That could end badly.

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:59 am

3 teams rarely end up with a doughnut in the loss column.

Handle your business and you will be playing that game.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

pup wrote:3 teams rarely end up with a doughnut in the loss column.

Handle your business and you will be playing that game.

Honestly, I think this is the year that we see at least 3 undefeated, major players. I just don't see any losses waiting for any of the 3 teams ahead of them. I know crazy shit happens every week, but I just don't see any games that I would pick any of the top 3 to lose.

'Bama: LSU and @Auburn
Oregon: If they get past Stanford next week they are home free (don't give me this garbage about Ore. St.)
FSU: Miami this week and FL in the last week are the biggest threats. Both of those teams are bad.

My little model has OSU as 50:50 to actually be in control of its own destiny, implying that is a 50:50 shot that at least 2 teams a head of them will lose.

My joint probability of 4 undefeated teams is up to 10% now.

If FSU, 'Bama, and Oregon win out the next 2 weeks those odds drop to 31% and the odds of 4 undefeated balloon to 24%. The coming week and change is CRITICAL. After that week it will take a couple of MAJOR upsets to put OSU in the NCG. Honestly, if I were a betting man and I could get even odds on OSU finishing undefeated and missing the NCG, I would take it.

I think we see 'Bama and Oregon in the NCG due to the perceived strength of the PAC12. I think we see OSU vs. Stanford in the Rose bowl.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Spin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:53 pm

peeker643 wrote:
furls wrote:You know what's weird? I have kind of reached this happy place where I don't even care if they play for the NC, as long as they keep winning. I am being totally serious. They are probably not the best team in the country, so I don't really care. I just want to see the Buckeyes beat the rest of the B1G by 50 for the rest of the year.

Be fine with that as well.

Even better when Meyer goes nuts about it, keeps gathering his recruits and then takes it out on the college football world next season and beyond. And by that time the Buckeyes might be bad-ass enough to bounce the big boys.

Interesting. Lots of motivation to build the shit out of this program if Urban needs more. Nothing like a chip on the shoulder.

And don't forget, next year four teams get in. We're not having this discussion. On the flip side the Bucks will have to get through two great opponents, then.

We're talking going 37-0 under Urban to get there...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:55 am

I am on board with all of that.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 am

BTW, does anyone in the top 10 of the BCS have a weaker schedule than Baylor? I know it isn't the teams ranked ahead of them that's for sure.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am

My now wish is that bama loses and we get them for the runner up bowl. The way this team has come together, and I know I had to preach patience to you guys and that they would, I think bama is now the best match up

Aye fay Shoo and Oreygun in the BCS.

It could happen.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:29 pm

jb wrote:My now wish is that bama loses and we get them for the runner up bowl. The way this team has come together, and I know I had to preach patience to you guys and that they would, I think bama is now the best match up

It could happen.

No such thing as the runner-up bowl. If OSU wins the B1G and doesn't make the title game, it's the Rose...and probably Stanford.

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:39 pm

danwismar wrote:
jb wrote:My now wish is that bama loses and we get them for the runner up bowl. The way this team has come together, and I know I had to preach patience to you guys and that they would, I think bama is now the best match up

It could happen.

No such thing as the runner-up bowl. If OSU wins the B1G and doesn't make the title game, it's the Rose...and probably Stanford.

I just made it up. It'd be awesome.

In all seriousness, the Stanford scenario is absolutely perfect.

A team that can make the Buckeyes look fast.

Lock up another top 3 recruiting season , hope the OL can be reloaded and gel, and maybe next season play with the elite.
jb

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:10 pm

If the PAC 12 winner plays in the NCG , doesnt the Rose Bowl have the right to pick a non-PAC 12 team i.e. a hypothetical 1 loss Bama? I was under the impression that only the outright B1G and PAC12 winners where guaranteed a slot.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Rose Bowl could take who they wanted (with a couple of exceptions) to replace Oregon. The issue is that many of these conferences are already tied in to other BCS bowls. If Bama loses the CCG, then the Rose Bowl could potentially snap them up. If Bama lost to someone else on the way (LSU or Auburn) and then won the CCG, they would be tied to the Sugar Bowl.

I don't think there is anyway in hell the Rose Bowl passes on Stanford unless they lose another game after the Oregon game. The Rose Bowl loves its own tradition and for the 100th anniversary game they will certainly go B1G vs. P12.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:18 pm

So are we getting Sparty in the Big 10 CG?
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Sure looks that way, jb.

Michigan is out. They have two losses to MSU's zero...plus they lose a tiebreaker. Nebraska was almost out...and their ass was saved by a Hail Mary vs NW Saturday.

MSU has to travel to Lincoln in two weeks, but the Huskers have four sort of decent opponents left...UM, MSU, PSU, Iowa. Any loss for the Huskers (who have one B1G loss already)would make it almost impossible for them to overcome Sparty.

Been hearing people remind me that Minnesota is "still in it" at 7-2, 3-2. Pretty funny...especially since they still have PSU, Wisky and Sparty still on the schedule.

---
Starting to get some national pub on the "OSU needs help" theme:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -need-help

danwismar

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 pm

They need to just go ahead and bump that playoff up a year on the schedule, cuz undefeateds Bama vs. OSU and FSU vs. Oregon in the playoffs would be damn delectable.

On its death bed, the BCS laughs at us all.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Juannieboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:26 am

Tonight the dominoes must begin to fall! Stanford must take out Oregon or it may be all over....except the shouting. FSU does not appear capable of losing in the ACC.
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:14 am

Is the ACC really better then the B1G....? Is that the world I am living in now....? Serious props to what FSU is doing this year, but the media would have you believe that they are playing in the little SEC, and I just don't buy it. FSUs best wins are against Clemson , and Miami. Clemson was considered a impressive win because they beat Georgia a team that in retrospect is not nearly as good as everyone thought they would be, and Miami beat no one of note except for a overrated deeply flawed Florida team. The B1G has got some serious flaws, but is there that much of a gap between say Clemson, Miami, VT, N. Carolina and Maryland as there is between MSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, MU and Minnesota??
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:39 am

Juannieboy wrote:Tonight the dominoes must begin to fall! Stanford must take out Oregon or it may be all over....except the shouting. FSU does not appear capable of losing in the ACC.

I'm not convinced that Stanford winning tonight will be ideal for the Buckeyes, simply b/c wouldn't Stanford jump us with that win?

FUDU

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:43 am

FUDU wrote:
Juannieboy wrote:Tonight the dominoes must begin to fall! Stanford must take out Oregon or it may be all over....except the shouting. FSU does not appear capable of losing in the ACC.

I'm not convinced that Stanford winning tonight will be ideal for the Buckeyes, simply b/c wouldn't Stanford jump us with that win?

No team with 1 loss would jump us..... Maybe Maybe Bama....
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena