Text Size

College Sports Arena

Midseason report card

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Midseason report card

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Everyone else is doing one, so lets get one started here:

Here is my defensive top 3:

1. Bennett: He has been unblockable against the pass and a force against the run. I think he is a first rounder in the 2015 draft. He is a serious player that is getting overshadowed by two guys (Spence and Washington) that really have not done that much. Don't get me wrong, they are good players and make some plays, but Bennett has been a machine.

2. Bosa: I can't remember being this impressed with a true freshman since Katzenmoyer. I cannot believe the things that Bosa can do already and he looks to have a JJ Watt like ceiling. Imagine what he plays like when he develops the violent hands that Bennett has gotten from Vrabel.

3. Shazier: Makes a lot of big plays, would be higher if his fundamentals were better (not a great form tackler). I wonder if this (and the rest of the LB play) is an indictment of Fickell. I think that is a discussion for another thread.

Offense:

1. Corey Brown: He actually looks like a legit NFL receiver now, probably like a 4th-6th rounder, but that is a far cry better than he was last year.

2. Carlos Hyde: Would be #1 if he had been doing what he has been doing for the entire season. Again, he looks like an NFL back. He is hitting the hole a lot harder this year and is showing better vision.

3. Braxton Miller: He has been pretty good. I still hate watching him run the read option, and I am not convinced he was healthy during the NW game based on how tentative he looked while running. Throwing motion is better, but he still carries the ball like a loaf of bread.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Midseason report card

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:24 pm

My honorable mentions on D:

CJ Barnett and Doran Grant (most improved player on the team).

My honorable mentions on O:

Devin Smith, Kenny G and Dontre Wilson (needs more touches, every time he touches the ball I think he is going to score ala Ginn)
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:07 pm

QB: Miller - C; Guiton - A
RB: B
WR: B
OL: C - could be more overrated but I don't know how
TE: All courses incomplete (Brother D Day)

DE: B+ and rising; pressure good, sacks need to come, need contain improvement
DT: B and rising - Tommy's back

LB: C for Shazier (overrated) all else F
S: C with Bryant, now D
CB: F

very overrated defense.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Not sure I can get behind your position on the OL or on the RBs.

Ohio State is 10th in the nation in rushing yards per game at 281 per game! They rank 7th in YPC at 6.08 and they have only allowed 8 sacks this season. That is pretty good if you ask me, particularly because 4 of the sacks came in the first week when Taylor Decker was doing his swinging door impression in his first start. FWIW, Buffalo is #5 nationally in sacks with 21 this season. I have no idea how anyone cannot be happy with the OL.

I also have no idea how you can say this D is overrated. Pretty much everyone I know thinks the entire back 7 is playing like garbage, I don't know anyone that is even pretending that they are playing well. Even the most homeriest of the homers has to concede this D is NOT playing well. There are a few players that look like keepers (all on the DL, Barnett and Grant) other than that, flush the rest and start over.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:09 pm

furls wrote:Not sure I can get behind your position on the OL or on the RBs.

Ohio State is 10th in the nation in rushing yards per game at 281 per game! They rank 7th in YPC at 6.08 and they have only allowed 8 sacks this season. That is pretty good if you ask me, particularly because 4 of the sacks came in the first week when Taylor Decker was doing his swinging door impression in his first start. FWIW, Buffalo is #5 nationally in sacks with 21 this season. I have no idea how anyone cannot be happy with the OL.

I also have no idea how you can say this D is overrated. Pretty much everyone I know thinks the entire back 7 is playing like garbage, I don't know anyone that is even pretending that they are playing well. Even the most homeriest of the homers has to concede this D is NOT playing well. There are a few players that look like keepers (all on the DL, Barnett and Grant) other than that, flush the rest and start over.

They play against garbage. Only 1 RB can gain yards consistently. But you're right. They are better than average. I'll give them a B but they need to improve.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

DL: A- (Mike Bennett is the mid-season MVP, easily. Diesel hasn't even been healthy yet and Bosa is a freak)

LB: B (Shazier might be the most overrated player in the country, JB is right there)

Safety: B- with Bryant, F----------- with Pitt Brown. Powelll has a long, long way to go too.

OL: B

QB: A - Brax is so good it makes JB cry

RB: A (this one is sincere, Hyde is really good and if he wasn't suspended we might be getting Heisman hype)

WR: B (solid all around)

TE: INC (give TEs a lot of snaps and stuff)
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:07 pm

JB obviously has an agenda with Brax. I mean he says the TE are incomplete, how can Brax not be close to incomplete then? He's only played in two real games (Buffalo does't count remember JB) and in those two games he was about 73.7% healthy.

WRs are as much a product of Brax's issues (health and read option) as anything else, hard not to grade them well for now.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:15 am

I know the Bucks haven't been throwing the ball to the TE's but I'll tell you.... Heuerman is an animal run blocking on the edge. He is one of my favorite players.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:06 am

Stay off the FUCKIN FLOWERS.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:48 am

FUDU, Homie don't play grade inflation.

A is excellent
B is above average
C is average/neutral
D is below average

We've see Miller for 2+ seasons. You saw a game changing Heisman candidate last year.

Are you honestly seeing "above average/good " play from Braxton Miller at QB? Pretend he plays for Colorado. Brax is far too careless with the ball and his running has been meh. He misses open throws too much. But he also does some good things. Average.

So you talk to me about agendas now?

Furls makes a good point about Heirmans blocking. I didn't factor in. Eye makes a good point about Hyde but I graded all RBs. Until Wilson gets more looks he's clearly all they got.

The DL players are playing A ball individually. When they play as a unit they rise to an A. Individual penetration is blowing by the QB too much. The rush lanes are a free for all. When they start getting to the QB, to the extend the poor D coaching coordination fixes that, they get an A.

The OL should have gotten a B. just bitter cause I expected excellence.
jb

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:07 am

jb wrote:FUDU, Homie don't play grade inflation.

A is excellent
B is above average
C is average/neutral
D is below average

We've see Miller for 2+ seasons. You saw a game changing Heisman candidate last year.

Are you honestly seeing "above average/good " play from Braxton Miller at QB? Pretend he plays for Colorado. Brax is far too careless with the ball and his running has been meh. He misses open throws too much. But he also does some good things. Average.

So you talk to me about agendas now?

Furls makes a good point about Heirmans blocking. I didn't factor in. Eye makes a good point about Hyde but I graded all RBs. Until Wilson gets more looks he's clearly all they got.

The DL players are playing A ball individually. When they play as a unit they rise to an A. Individual penetration is blowing by the QB too much. The rush lanes are a free for all. When they start getting to the QB, to the extend the poor D coaching coordination fixes that, they get an A.

The OL should have gotten a B. just bitter cause I expected excellence.

Quality post. I have Shazier graded higher than both you and EYE because he is literally the only decent thing happening at that level of the defense. Last year he struggled a lot early too until he got some help at the MIKE with Boren. His play before and after Boren was night and day.

I hate to be one of those 18-0 Buckeye fans that can't stop whining.... (but here comes the whine):

WTF is up with the defensive coaching?

-Lots of folks are hating on Fickell and I think there is something there, but his Co-DC, Everett Whithers, deserves some ire. As the Co-DC that is also the safeties position coach, you have to think Whithers is running a lot of the coverage calls and frankly they have sucked. The secondary play really has not been good since Tressel was here.

-Fickell's LBs are not good, and they really aren't improving. A few years ago, the Buckeyes brought in the best OL class in the country (the Brew Crew) and all those guys looked great as freshman, they looked like guys that had the tools to succeed; they flashed. None of them came close to reaching their potential because of shitty position coaching. Wonder if the same is happening with the LBs, Shazier is about as good now as he was as an elite athlete making plays, masquerading as a LB.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Ross Fulton on OSU Defense and specifically defensive backs and coverage schemes...

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/10/2 ... ive-review
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:05 pm

A lot of great stuff in that article. Ross is one of my favorite football writers because he is actually technical in his approach, without being overly technical.

I didn't realize how close that 60 yard pass in the NW game was to being a pick 6 until I saw the GIF. Gotta give NW some credit on that for hitting an open window that wasn't open log. Gotta also say, Roby's angle was abysmal.

For the rest of the year I would like to see the Buckeyes abandon the 3 man rush, play zone consistently, take better angles and stop giving up huge plays. I think the forrays into man coverage have just been disastrous. I would like to see the 8-10 yard cushion on the outside in cover 3 closed up to 6-8.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena