Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:12 am

Most notably with two teams that have won 4 of the last 8 SBs (Steelers & Giants), both captained by "elite" QBs, sporting a combined 0-9 record.

Atl at meh-4, with Matt Ryan.

Plenty of supposed good QBs leading some very questionable teams to meh seasons.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby fairvis » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:24 am

Things I've found fascinating about this season:

1. The shittyness of the NFC East. Dallas is the only team with a positive points differential, Philly's offense has had its sputters, RGIII looks completely hamstrung, and the Giants really blow.

2. "Elite" QBs not cutting it: ATL, NYG, PIT all really suck with "good" QBs, as you've just said. Philip Rivers in SD isn't showing much, either.

3. Prejudged QBs not cutting it: Last year, there were good performances from Christian Ponder, Matt Schaub, Andy Dalton, and RGIII that made them saviors of their respective teams. They all seem to have regressed some this year, as they either look horrible (Ponder, Schaub) or have regressed (Dalton, RGIII).

4. Overall de-emphasis of the running game, leading to interchangeable running backs. Right now, there are only 2 RBs averaging more then 86 yards/game, and only 5 averaging more then 80 yards/game. Meanwhile, there are 18 recievers averaging more then 80 yards/game. I've really noticed this in fantasy FB ranks, as in deep leagues (I'm in one with 12 teams), there just aren't many RBs doing much outside of McCoy and Peterson.

I really hope the Giants and Steelers finish with top-5 picks, because you know they won't take a QB.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:29 am

fairvis wrote:I really hope the Giants and Steelers finish with top-5 picks, because you know they won't take a QB.


Be nice if the Giants finished with the worst overall record by some bizarre chance.

Think they'd go for the following:

2013 1st (us)
2013 1st (Colts)
2013 3rd
2014 1st
2015 2nd

?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 am

That is a great point about the Giants and Steelers, however maybe they should consider it? Big Ben is an old 31 and not getting younger with their line. For my money Eli is being exposed as what some have said all along as over rated and living off of a few games and a pedigree. Eli's 32 don't forget. But I'm with you in that neither team will, however they will get a lot for their high pick if they continue to lose like this.

I've not been sold on Dalton at all during his short career.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 am

Triple-S wrote:
fairvis wrote:I really hope the Giants and Steelers finish with top-5 picks, because you know they won't take a QB.


Be nice if the Giants finished with the worst overall record by some bizarre chance.

Think they'd go for the following:

2013 1st (us)
2013 1st (Colts)
2013 3rd
2014 1st
2015 2nd

?


You want to trade 5 plus picks? For what an earthquake machine, sheesh.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13349
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 pm

FUDU wrote:That is a great point about the Giants and Steelers, however maybe they should consider it? Big Ben is an old 31 and not getting younger with their line. For my money Eli is being exposed as what some have said all along as over rated and living off of a few games and a pedigree. Eli's 32 don't forget. But I'm with you in that neither team will, however they will get a lot for their high pick if they continue to lose like this.

I've not been sold on Dalton at all during his short career.

Ha, finally someone else is interested to discuss it.

I don't at all assume PIT won't go QB. In fact, almost guarantee they would. They figure they won't be that high in the draft again anytime soon and take their successor to POS. Let him "learn" for a year or two (if you can learn anything from a guy like that), then he takes over and you get to go franchise QB to franchise QB without those uncomfortable shit QB years like we've had since forever.

So if the Steelers do get a top 5 pick, I think you can safely cross a QB off the board.

They also could put together a better package for a team like the Giants if they want to move up (and I wouldn't discount them taking a QB either).
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4194
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:That is a great point about the Giants and Steelers, however maybe they should consider it? Big Ben is an old 31 and not getting younger with their line. For my money Eli is being exposed as what some have said all along as over rated and living off of a few games and a pedigree. Eli's 32 don't forget. But I'm with you in that neither team will, however they will get a lot for their high pick if they continue to lose like this.

I've not been sold on Dalton at all during his short career.

Ha, finally someone else is interested to discuss it.

I don't at all assume PIT won't go QB. In fact, almost guarantee they would. They figure they won't be that high in the draft again anytime soon and take their successor to POS. Let him "learn" for a year or two (if you can learn anything from a guy like that), then he takes over and you get to go franchise QB to franchise QB without those uncomfortable shit QB years like we've had since forever.

So if the Steelers do get a top 5 pick, I think you can safely cross a QB off the board.

They also could put together a better package for a team like the Giants if they want to move up (and I wouldn't discount them taking a QB either).


Not saying they think he's going to be their next franchise QB, but did they take Landry Jones for shits and giggles, or to just finally have a backup that was younger than 36?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
User avatar
TouchEmAllTime
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Boardman
Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby jb » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:19 pm

FUDU wrote:Most notably with two teams that have won 4 of the last 8 SBs (Steelers & Giants), both captained by "elite" QBs, sporting a combined 0-9 record.

Atl at meh-4, with Matt Ryan.

Plenty of supposed good QBs leading some very questionable teams to meh seasons.



Because they aren't spread QBs running the option.

Peeker taught me that about who wins and who loses. You can be that obtuse and carry a point if you make a big enough stink. so challenge me on this point and i'll yell and throw a fit and do so with total intransigence until you surrender.

Non-spread and drop back QB = no wins.

Shut up. You're wrong. (pre-emeptive.)
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:25 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:That is a great point about the Giants and Steelers, however maybe they should consider it? Big Ben is an old 31 and not getting younger with their line. For my money Eli is being exposed as what some have said all along as over rated and living off of a few games and a pedigree. Eli's 32 don't forget. But I'm with you in that neither team will, however they will get a lot for their high pick if they continue to lose like this.

I've not been sold on Dalton at all during his short career.

Ha, finally someone else is interested to discuss it.

I don't at all assume PIT won't go QB. In fact, almost guarantee they would. They figure they won't be that high in the draft again anytime soon and take their successor to POS. Let him "learn" for a year or two (if you can learn anything from a guy like that), then he takes over and you get to go franchise QB to franchise QB without those uncomfortable shit QB years like we've had since forever.

So if the Steelers do get a top 5 pick, I think you can safely cross a QB off the board.

They also could put together a better package for a team like the Giants if they want to move up (and I wouldn't discount them taking a QB either).


Not saying they think he's going to be their next franchise QB, but did they take Landry Jones for shits and giggles, or to just finally have a backup that was younger than 36?

My guess was that it was a low-risk let's-see-if-he-develops-and-if-he-doesn't-no-biggie pick. No sane individual assumes their 4th round pick will be their starter someday - if he develops into starting quality, awesome, but I think you make the pick thinking "backup".

Believe me, I'd be very happy if they felt like they could roll into the 2nd half of the decade with Landry and didn't take a QB there... I just can't assume they're that stupid since they haven't shown a penchant for stupidity in the past.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4194
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Interesting 2013 season unfolding

Unread postby fairvis » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Heading into the 2014 season, Eli will be 33 and Big Ben will be 32. There's still 2-3 productive seasons out of those guys (at least), but they could take the plunge to get that prospect and let him sit like Aaron Rodgers (and that certainly worked out for GB). I can see PIT taking their "QB of the future" to sit behind Ben for a few years, especially since Ben has only played a full 16 game season once in his career (although he has played 15 games 4 times), but the pressure of the NY press on the Giants would be too much to have a hotshot backup.

Look at the circus that Tebow had with a struggling Mark Sanchez, and Tebow blew. If the Giants had Tajh Boyd sitting on the bench behind Eli, and Eli threw 4 picks (as he is apt to do on several occasions), there would be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth and pressure to get Tajh in. There's already a lot of pressure to sit Eli, and they don't have the rock star waiting in the wings.

Pittsburgh will most likely take Jake Matthews anyways, since their offensive line is a pile of absolute crap.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah


Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests