Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU - Wildcats

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: OSU - Wildcats

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:"It made perfect sense to surrender, the Germans were very, very mean!"

Fuck the crystal ball bullshit. Put 'em on the field, let's see what happens.

You don't wanna see that Gamelin.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Sure I do. Because it's all speculation till kickoff. I'm not afraid to see OSU take on any of those teams and i'm not going to count them out in October.

Yes they have flaws, serious ones. I acknowledge that, but I expect them to get better as Braxton get healthier, and I think the DBs can improve if Urbs puts them to the grindstone.

And just tell Curtis Grant to rush the QB.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Roby has choked in man situations, zone situations, blitz situations, non-blitz situations.... you name it. No coordinator owns his suck.

Same with Pitt Browns. Pitt Brown has blown for years. I had no problem with the safety play pre-injury and I had Doren Grant has been serviceable at worst.

You can't coordinate a team with parts that don't match and this D is built like shit with Roby in his current state.

Also I fully agree with not over blitzing the Cal and NW's of the world. It was especially important to not overblitz Cal with a freshman QB you should have been able to confuse. Thankfully the entire team once again forgot how to tackle against Cal.

I saw what happened to this defense last year when Boren moved over and I can't forget that. I do agree we still see too much of the Heacock style bend but don't break and prevent shit, but it's worked before and can work far better than WTF we are watching.

In order to be a team that plays a Grant and Perry at LB you need a great secondary and right now OSU has one of the worst secondaries in the entire BCS.

Not really what I am talking about.

I am talking about the obviously flawed philosophy of giving an 8 yard cushion on 3rd and 4, or standing 4 yards deep in the EZ, 10 yards off the WR like we saw in one of the early games.

I am talking about dropping 8 into coverage and rushing 3 on 3rd and goal from the 10 or 11 (NW Game). The entire secondary is a shit show, why would you amplify that by giving the QB an infinite amount of time to make a decision? The Buckeyes were consistently getting pressure in passing downs with 4, why drop Noah Spence in coverage where he can be bad in coverage?

The philosophy they are using on D, does not match their personnel. Playing "Bend, but don't break" is frustrating for fans, but it is very effective.... except when your secondary is not tackling well.

Roby has been an absolute disaster and their is no denying that. He is not even good at tackling this year! He missed 2 huge tackles in this game and a couple of others in other games.

The secondary has no idea what they are doing. I rewatched the NW game and I was stunned how many times DBs were looking at each other trying to figure out who fucked up and ended up in the wrong zone when 2 guys went to the same place.

That is what I am talking about. The only thing consistent about this secondary is that if you give them enough time someone will end up in the completely wrong place... leading to a big play. I wonder if this has something to do with having 2 DCs (Withers who manages the back half and Fickell who manages the front half). The strategies are just not unified. I am not calling for anyone's job, but something is terribly wrong with this defense and it isn't just the guys listed below. The staff has to realize the limitations of its players and play to their strengths.

Roby has been awful, by far the worst member of the secondary given his responsibilities and what this team wants him to do.

Pitt Brown has only been marginally better because he really isn't supposed to be playing, let alone starting. Did you see him get TRUCKED by the 175lb Venric Mark? Embarrassing.

Tyvis Powell has not been good. He has been a step late the entire season. Will it get better? Possibly, he is a RS Freshman.

Curtis Grant should never be asked to have any coverage assignment. He should only be asked to do 2 things... plug a hole or blitz. That is it.

Perry has been Meh.

Barnett and Grant have been fine.

Shazier and the DL have been good.

It is time to play some of the kids, particularly at safety. We should see what Burrows and Bell can do. What are they going to do, get lost in coverage and miss tackles? Why should the veterans have that market cornered.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:05 pm

jb wrote:
furls wrote:-Bama
-Stanford
-Clemson
-FSU
-Oregon

If you ever want to land a 5 star outside of Ohio again you'd better pray that it's Stanford.

The rest blow the Buckeyes out by 21; minimum.

Yes Cartman I've sen them all play multiple times this season.

Gentlemen, that was Northfreaking Western. They had no bidness on the same field as tOSU if we have stocked JR and SR classes.

No argument from me, except with 'Bama. That offense does not scare me and the defense is not what it has been in years past. Oregon and FSU are likely to hang 50-60 on this team. I am a little less of a believer in Clemson.

Oregon, much like NW, is a nightmare matchup. Everything they do well on offense capitalized on what this team does poorly and their play selection largely negates what this defense does best, which is at the LOS.

I understand that yes, it is only NW, but this is a team that was perfectly matched for this D, playing a night game at home, in an electric environment with 2 weeks to gameplan for their game of the century. It was a perfect storm for an upset. They flat out "outprepared" the OSU staff with their Gameplan, and it was only a huge advantage on both LOS's that made up for awful QB play and even worse play in the secondary.

That said, Wisconsin next week is the same kind of match up for NW. If NW wins, then I think we see them again in the B1G champ game.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:14 am

furls wrote:
jb wrote:
-Stanford
-Clemson
-FSU
-Oregon

If you ever want to land a 5 star outside of Ohio again you'd better pray that it's Stanford.

Gentlemen, that was Northfreaking Western. They had no bidness on the same field as tOSU if we have stocked JR and SR classes.

No argument from me, except with 'Bama. That offense does not scare me and the defense is not what it has been in years past. Oregon and FSU are likely to hang 50-60 on this team. I am a little less of a believer in Clemson.

Oregon, much like NW, is a nightmare matchup. Everything they do well on offense capitalized on what this team does poorly and their play selection largely negates what this defense does best, which is at the LOS.

I understand that yes, it is only NW, but this is a team that was perfectly matched for this D, playing a night game at home, in an electric environment with 2 weeks to gameplan for their game of the century. It was a perfect storm for an upset. They flat out "outprepared" the OSU staff with their Gameplan, and it was only a huge advantage on both LOS's that made up for awful QB play and even worse play in the secondary.

That said, Wisconsin next week is the same kind of match up for NW. If NW wins, then I think we see them again in the B1G champ game.

McCarren would feast on our DB's. He hits windows very well for a college QB and reads at a high level and is efficient. Their OL would need to slow our rush but that's isn't a stretch.

I don't care much for AJ as a Sunday prospect but as a college passer he's about as efficient as a flux capacitor or hydrogen engine.

They would be a threat to score every possession.

Furls, if our DL doesn't get there the pass D is beyond dreadful. Im starting to see the fuss in the young DLmen and once they learn lane integrity they will be a force.
jb

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:36 pm

jb wrote:
furls wrote:
jb wrote:
-Stanford
-Clemson
-FSU
-Oregon

McCarren would feast on our DB's. He hits windows very well for a college QB and reads at a high level and is efficient. Their OL would need to slow our rush but that's isn't a stretch.

I don't care much for AJ as a Sunday prospect but as a college passer he's about as efficient as a flux capacitor or hydrogen engine.

Furls, if our DL doesn't get there the pass D is beyond dreadful. Im starting to see the fuss in the young DLmen and once they learn lane integrity they will be a force.

OSU would be a threat against 'Bamas D every time on the field too. This is a down year for the Tide D. I think the final of an OSU vs. Bama game has both teams in the 40s. Give Meyer and Hermann a month and I think they could put together a gameplan for Bama's D similar to what Meyer did to OSU in 2006.

If you think McCaron is a nightmare, how about Murray at UGA? That is another rough one, but I like OSU's chances much more around a pro set than against Oregon. I really don't care whether Stanford or Oregon wins their game. I know which is the worse match up for OSU, and it really isn't close. Everything the OSU D does poorly Oregon does well. They could score 70 and their pace of play would prevent OSU from rotating in their fresh DL nullifying that tremendous depth on the OSU DL.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:38 pm

furls wrote:
jb wrote:
furls wrote:
jb wrote:
-Stanford
-Clemson
-FSU
-Oregon

OSU would be a threat against 'Bamas D every time on the field too. This is a down year for the Tide D. I think the final of an OSU vs. Bama game has both teams in the 40s. Give Meyer and Hermann a month and I think they could put together a gameplan for Bama's D similar to what Meyer did to OSU in 2006.

If you think McCaron is a nightmare, how about Murray at UGA? That is another rough one, but I like OSU's chances much more around a pro set than against Oregon. I really don't care whether Stanford or Oregon wins their game. I know which is the worse match up for OSU, and it really isn't close. Everything the OSU D does poorly Oregon does well. They could score 70 and their pace of play would prevent OSU from rotating in their fresh DL nullifying that tremendous depth on the OSU DL.

Murray is Eric Zeier, which means he's a hell of a college QB and a threat.

The difference between Murray and McCarren right now is Murray's skilled position playmakers look like the just were in the 1st wave of the Battle of the Somme.

I think tOSU vs Bama is something akin to 50 - 30.
jb

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Nice line on Murray's supporting cast and I agree.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Murray is Ryan Mallet when it comes to choking. One big win over LSU doesn't change that (yet).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Some postgame thoughts by Marcus Hartman and Ross Fulton, both of which I thought were interesting. Virtually every thing Fulton says in his closing paragraphs has been said in this thread, and the one on DB's, by Furls and others...and I think it's on target...

FULTON:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/10/2 ... rthwestern

Hartman:

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1334383.html
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Furls what do you think about toss plays? I think some tosses to Wilson and Hall would give them different looks and allow them to use their speed better. Maybe open up some fakes allowing Brax to do some naked bootlegs. We never use the toss, no matter who the coach.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:42 pm

For the 500th time, Jordan Hall is not fast. Just because he has short legs that he has to stride 500x to match strides with people of normal height does not mean anything. He is no faster than Hyde.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:33 pm

He might not carry the best times but he has excellent vision, is more slippery and explosive when trying to run away from guys. The offense is more dangerous with him on the field as opposed to him not on it.

Look I get Hyde is the safe choice, the tougher back, and maybe even more reliable, but Hall offers a HR ability (also has some hands) that Hyde doesn't and that Wilson doesn't (if Wilson isn't on the field).

I see the toss pitch as giving any of our backs a chance to see the play develop better and allow them the one cut and go approach. I think that would work great with Hall and Wilson in particular.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Jordan Hall has only shown home run ability against bottom 100 NCAA defenses.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:37 pm

I prefer Hyde. His ability to run with power and break tackles is a great offset to Brax's speed and elusiveness. I like Hall, he's a good back, but Hyde punishes and wears down defenses.

I'm not really that impressed with what I've seen from Wilson so far. He has the tools, but ball security is an issue and defenses are going to try and strip the ball every time he has it.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:42 pm

As furls has stated, getting Wilson on the field is hard when you can't find a reason for him without the ball. Ball security is easy enough to remedy though. It's a nice problem to have I suppose, 3 very capable RBs. The problem is more with Brax and the read in getting them the best chance to impact the game I suppose.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:57 pm

We have more than 3 capable backs. Our RB core is an embarrassment of riches. I'm just curious as to which ones are going to transfer.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 am

That is a great question, and I think there will be at least one.

-Rod Smith will stay, he only has one year left and has to be in the running for the job next year.
-Zeke will stay, he has vaulted up the DC and is Smith's primary competition for all the carries next year as the "big" back.
-Ball is very likely to stay, he is just that kind of kid from all I have heard.
-Dunn is confusing. I would have thought him likely to transfer, but why would he take a RS if he was going to transfer? That just doesn't make sense. If he transfers next year, he still has to sit.
-Wilson ain't goin nowhere.

So I just don't really see any transfers although if I were Dunn or Ball I would strongly consider it, if PT was a concern.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena