Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU - Wildcats

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: OSU - Wildcats

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:50 pm

The red zone play calling has been ridiculous, especially on that first drive. Why would you run Braxton on the option to the short side of the field inside the 7 yard line? There is nowhere to go.

The fake punt. What a fucking stupid call. I know Mark is dangerous, but you gifted them points.

Wilson could have taken those last 2 kickoffs out but was stopped for some reason. Brilliant call.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Who is this Wilson of which you speak? I was unaware, based on this week and last week's play calls, that a player by that name was on OSU's roster.

Unfortunately, if they bring him in the game, it will be to give him the ball on a Jet Sweep that NW will be expecting.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Meyer getting paid to call a shit game.

Give NW a bigger cushion at the line, FFS.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 pm

We are a blocked punt away from getting blown out.

Stil no Jordan Hall or Wilson.

FUDU

Unread postby The Score » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Jordan Hall is out with a tweaked knee.
The Score

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:09 pm

I have noticed that this staff has very strong tendencies and is not particularly good at adjusting in game. They seem to lose track of the game. This one is by no means over, but it is sad watching a team with inferior talent at nearly every position out play this team in spite of obvious, uncapitalized on advantages.

Buckeyes are doing fine, in general, gaining yardage and moving the ball except when it matters the most, in the RZ.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Squints » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Herbie calling for Guiton.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 pm

I am calling for Guiton too. You cannot turn the ball over down two possessions. Let's not pretend like Miller hasn't had ball security issues this year. He has been bailed out of fumbles by penalties 3X this year and has 2 in this game.

OSU has no problems moving the ball, they just can't stop shooting themselves in the feet.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Guiton or game over.

Real injury for Hall, or is that just Hyde speak?

Wilson have a knee injury, um no.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:28 pm

FUDU wrote:Guiton or game over.

Real injury for Hall, or is that just Hyde speak?

Wilson have a knee injury, um no.

I am not at that point. The D has to continue to play better against the NW O. Hopefully they have made some adjustments.

I know everyone wants the team to play aggressive all the time, but they really have to now to protect the bad secondary. Roby has been a trainwreck, Powell has been marginal, and Pitt Brown has been bad. They have to force mistakes and early decisions and take their chances with the big plays.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby The Score » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:42 pm

furls wrote:Do you guys have problems with ABC's HD broadcasts? My is "pixely" and kind of crappy. I have a seriously bad ass TV (1080/240Hz/3D LED) and DirecTV. Whatever it is, I can barely watch the games because of the crappy quality. Anyone else have similar issues?

As an update, I'm getting the pixelation in the NW corner of the state.
The Score

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:43 pm

You stay with Braxton.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Ive always liked Hyde, but hes turned a corner. Hes much more Beanie now than he evetr was, without the stiff arm , dude is a horse tonight.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 pm

FUDU wrote:Ive always liked Hyde, but hes turned a corner. Hes much more Beanie now than he evetr was, without the stiff arm , dude is a horse tonight.

He is 10X the horse Beanie ever was. Beanie would have a hang nail and would be on the sideline by now. That said, Beanie would probably also have 4TDs and 200 yards on his 10 carries (exaggerating). Hyde is not nearly the back Wells was, but Wells really couldn't be a bell cow back.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:59 pm

I would like to round house kick Brent Musburger right in the fucking throat.
municipalmutt

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Your round house would be wasted unless you were going for style points. You could easily collapse his trachea with a standing front kick or perhaps even a side kick. Musberger is old and slow enough that there is no way he dodges a well executed side kick.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Nope round house and I'd follow up with a flying back elbow.

His annoyingness is almost Collinsworthish.
municipalmutt

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Roby flat out blows, put him at FS or bench him, punk.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Wow, secondary play has been bad pretty much all the way around. It is a serious clown show back there. They need to blitz every play, send 5-6 and hope for the best back there.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Roby has given up 28 pts in 2 weeks, all by himself.

He makes everyone else around him worse.

Hes a 4Th rd pick

FUDU

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:18 pm

I can't help but wonder if a more traditional offense isn't better suited for this team's ability. Braxton has made a few nice decisions scrambling. Sure he takes too many sacks but he's shown some real patience tonight both in the pocket and out near the edge. I love the zone read, but it can really kill a drive with one of those 4 yard losses. Now when he makes the correct read, something really good usually happens, but those misreads can kill you.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Hyde is going to make some NFL team very happy in the mid rounds. Dude is a player. Beastmode 2.0
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:19 pm

And I have no idea what the fuck is problem with Roby. He might need to be demoted.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:27 pm

SNAP THE MUTHERFUCKING BALL. SERIOUSLY.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:32 pm

The D-Line tonight.....

Tremendous performance in that 2nd half if you ask me. Stuffing plays at the right time getting pressure. It took that miracle miss by Roby for N-western to get their only decent drive there.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:40 pm

furls wrote:SNAP THE MUTHERFUCKING BALL. SERIOUSLY.

I was screaming that too. I thought he got over.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:41 pm

I like the DL, many good players there. I love the lineup with Spence, Marcus, Bennett and Washington. Great pressure. As bad as the LBs are in coverage, they need to just use grant to blitz.... ALOT.

The secondary blows. It is not a question of if they breakdown, but when.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:06 am

FUDU wrote:Where the fuck is Hall.

My God. This man crush is really getting weird.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
furls wrote:SNAP THE MUTHERFUCKING BALL. SERIOUSLY.

I was screaming that too. I thought he got over.

So speaking of the snap, can someone help me out? The QB hand clap (usually the second one) signals "ready" and then the C snaps the ball when he feels like it ? After a silent count? After an audible signal from somewhere? There were times it seemed the O Line came off the ball in a bit of a stagger instead of in unison.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 pm

I think the center calls out the defensive reads and then snaps the ball on the designated clap.

I thought Braxton looked good on most of the throws he made, with the exception of the miss to Fields and a couple others. Most were seeds. He is our starting QB, no question about it.

Use Dontre more. Line him up in the backfield with Brax and Hyde.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I think the center calls out the defensive reads and then snaps the ball on the designated clap.

I thought Braxton looked good on most of the throws he made, with the exception of the miss to Fields and a couple others. Most were seeds. He is our starting QB, no question about it.

Use Dontre more. Line him up in the backfield with Brax and Hyde.

Miller's second clap signals the center that he is ready for the ball. The center then calls the snap count and snaps the ball on the count.

-Miller is the best passer on the team. He is also a good athlete. He sucks at running about 1/3 of the plays the call for him. He is AWFUL at the read option. He holds the ball too long at the mesh point allowing the WDE to play both the RB and the QB, or he "pre-reads" the play, negating the usefulness of the whole "option" thing. Miller is very good at running the draw, we should stick with that and remove the inside read option from our playbook for the rest of the year.

-I love Dontre as much as the next guy but in retrospect, keeping him on the sideline was probably best. When they bring him on the field it is pretty obvious he is EXTREMELY likely to get the ball and he has had a hell of a hard time holding onto it. The Buckeyes really could not afford another turnover in that game. The need to find ways to keep Wilson on the field even when the play is not going to him. It will increase his per carry efficiency about 5 fold. He is easily the best athlete and biggest big play threat on the team with the exception of maybe Devin Smith (only because smith has 3 years in the program).

-This NW is the best team OSU will play until whatever bowl it is they go to. That offense is very hard to defend. That said, it is impossible to defend if you drop 8 into coverage and those 8 are not very good at covering. OSU has got to fundamentally shift its defense from a "bend but don't break" 7-8 man zone to a blitz happy D in order to defend that mess of a back 7 in coverage. Curtis Grant should be given the same deal Bobby Carpenter had, if they run... don't blitz, just fill your gap or scrape. If they pass, BLITZ. Grant is basically invisible in coverage, so we may as well make him useful.

-I love the obvious passing 4 man rush DL OSU uses. Marcus and Spence coming off the edge is nasty. Bennett is unblockable if singled when going against a guard or center. He was tremendous in the last two games. He is going to single handedly ruing a weak scUM interior DL. Schutt will be back very soon, and while Hale has been serviceable, Schutt is a huge upgrade.

-I never thought Meyer would be so thoroughly out coached. That is the danger of playing a big game when your next opponent has a bye week. NW knew exactly how to attack this OSU defense and they executed perfectly. Meyer's fake punt fooled exactly no one and reeked of desperation. The only thing worse than the fake punt was the clock management during NW's ensuing drive. Meyer could have had an additional 30 seconds if he takes time on 4th down when NW is certainly going to kick. That was BUSH LEAGUE. I thought he was just planning on taking a knee to end the half after the FG, but when he came out throwing, obviously trying to get some points it just made it apparent how bad that management was.

All that said, this team is 18-0 and looks like a lock to make it to 24-0. I hope we DO NOT see NW in the B1G championship game, although I think we will. No doubt in my mind that they hang 40-50 on scUM and score the required 3 TDs to beat MSU. I am also hoping that this team does not see Oregon in its Bowl Game. I think that would be a cataclysmically bad match up. Stanford may be able to beat Oregon, we shall see, but the match up for OSU vs. Stanford (or 'Bama) would be much better. Actually, out of all the potential opponents OSU has for the bowl game my order of preference is:

-Bama
-Stanford
-Clemson
-FSU
-Oregon

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:30 pm

I've soured on my confidence with who we can roll with for 60 minutes of football. I agree with your list Furls, but Bama could probably drop 45-50 on us if we aren't on our game. Not sure we put up more than that on them to keep up, with the offense I saw yesterday.

RE: Brax, is he 60% 75% what? B/C he sure as shit isn't 90%+. You can see it, lack of explosion on his runs and cuts, and IMO he's playing tentative with his runs, and trying too hard to make up for it with his arm. I'm all for some more traditional draw plays for him, and Hall even (yeah peeker, Hall). What about mixing in some straight up option sweeps with Brax and whomever? I agree on Wilson as well, find a way to get him on the field , can he catch? I'm not a fan of our WR screens either, seems that no Buckeye (or even Browns) teams can ever run them as effectively as other teams.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:59 pm

By no means am I implying that OSU beats any of the 5, but I think the bottom of that list is more likely to cause enormous embarrassment. As bad as this team tackles and as bad as the LBs are in coverage, Oregon would likely hang 70 on this team. 'Bama and Stanford on the other hand rely on some fashion of a traditional run game, and OSU can play good D against that. Clemson and FSU are somewhere in the middle.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:26 pm

You are supposed to be able to get away with so-so coverage LBs (averaging Shazier, Perry and Grant) when you have a true lock-down corner and two senior safeties.

Pitt Brown and Roby will be the death of this team come bowl season if they don't figure something out.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Also, re Dontre, it was a crazy slow track yesterday. Long, wet, grass that was hugely beneficial to NW. Dontre wouldn't have been nearly as effective on that turf.

OSU beats NW by 15+ in the dome in Indy for the title game.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Yeah NW intentionally didn't cut that grass for two weeks, moscratch would get a ticket where he lives.

FUDU

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 pm

As much as I like watching Wilson play I think Meyer did the right thing in not playing him...every play NW was trying to strip the ball.

We need to find someone besides Philly Brown to return punts.

Miller's running post-injury isn't nearly as explosive/dynamic as it used to be. Not sure if his knee is still less than 100% or if he is tentative due to so many injuries the past 2 years or if the coaching staff has told him to run less and/or try to avoid big hits.

How much of our secondary problems are scheme, giving lots of cushion, keeping everything in front of the secondary vs just crappy play? The more I watch the more I think it is 50/50 - - our corners are consistently playing 5-10 yards off of the receivers. I am not sure that really fits Roby's style of play. Pit Brown on the other hand....

I really hope that in some of the future big ten games that we have some nice early leads so that the young DB's, Oline and linebackers on the depth chart get some much needed playing time and experience.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Re: OSU - Wildcat

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 am

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Our D generally isn't well coordinated. You rush 3 when you know you can't cover down field? You rush 6, effectively making time to throw 0, but you give 10 yard cushions on the outside? You can't have it both ways. Roby's fundamentals are garbage, tackling and coverage. He's regressed, maybe he believes that he is the #1CB in the draft?

Pitt Brown couldn't make it on the field for 4 years, but he is suddenly good enough in his 5th.

I rewatched the entire game yesterday, and I have to say, the front did a great job getting pressure with 4. I am going to chart their outcomes when they rush 3, I am pretty sure it was absolutely catastrophic.

The track was crappy, but I would've been even more concerned with ball security. Hyde ran with power confidence and authority like I haven't seen him run before. He legitimately looked like an NFL back and I never really thought he was an NFL back.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:29 am

Roby has choked in man situations, zone situations, blitz situations, non-blitz situations.... you name it. No coordinator owns his suck.

Same with Pitt Browns. Pitt Brown has blown for years. I had no problem with the safety play pre-injury and I had Doren Grant has been serviceable at worst.

You can't coordinate a team with parts that don't match and this D is built like shit with Roby in his current state.

Also I fully agree with not over blitzing the Cal and NW's of the world. It was especially important to not overblitz Cal with a freshman QB you should have been able to confuse. Thankfully the entire team once again forgot how to tackle against Cal.

I saw what happened to this defense last year when Boren moved over and I can't forget that. I do agree we still see too much of the Heacock style bend but don't break and prevent shit, but it's worked before and can work far better than WTF we are watching.

In order to be a team that plays a Grant and Perry at LB you need a great secondary and right now OSU has one of the worst secondaries in the entire BCS.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 am

I read this thread after fact with interest.

Calling for Kenny in game. Well well well.

Miller is meh without his juke & acceleration. But guys were talking Kenny Guiton. For the love of Christ I was kidding.

The buckeyes are riding out the donut hole of an unstable situation and on the build. The fact Urbs is undefeated in wholly, utterly and completely a function of their Indy schedule being the Ohio Valley Confrence and their joining Jim Delaneys conference USA.

If that is the #3 /4 team in the nation Donny is Bill Walsh.

Miller is hurt & a mediocre passer on his best day. He's getting better at valve check downs but that's about all I see.
The late Tress 4/5 stars are shams
Th DL has killer potential when they learn to play as a unit and understand rush lane concept
They are not as "talented" as many think. They continue to get all they can handle from 2 stars

They are not ready for prime time.

This is a 3 loss team with a marquee Indu matchup in a major conference.

Urbs deserves a ton of credit.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 am

Miller is certainly more pedestrian when less than 100%, but your crusade that he is a meh passer is hogwash. He's not the second coming by any means (and that missed TD in the EZ was not good) but he is still way better than you give him credit for. I bet he wishes his boys would have caught the ball on Saturday.

Calls for Kenny were just that, based on Miller being very obviously less than 100%.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:06 am

FUDU wrote:Miller is certainly more pedestrian when less than 100%, but your crusade that he is a meh passer is hogwash. He's not the second coming by any means (and that missed TD in the EZ was not good) but he is still way better than you give him credit for. I bet he wishes his boys would have caught the ball on Saturday.

Calls for Kenny were just that, based on Miller being very obviously less than 100%.

Pedestrian & meh are synonyms.

Miller is an average college passer. I know from the eyeball test. I've seen good & he ain't that .
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

furls wrote: Actually, out of all the potential opponents OSU has for the bowl game my order of preference is:

-Bama
-Stanford
-Clemson
-FSU
-Oregon

Here's hoping those "8" we drop get better by 2014.

Oh Furls, be very careful what you ask for ^.

And there's no resting easy if Georgia or LSU comes knocking either.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:55 pm

furls wrote:-Bama
-Stanford
-Clemson
-FSU
-Oregon

If you ever want to land a 5 star outside of Ohio again you'd better pray that it's Stanford.

The rest blow the Buckeyes out by 21; minimum.

Yes Cartman I've sen them all play multiple times this season.

Gentlemen, that was Northfreaking Western. They had no bidness on the same field as tOSU if we have stocked JR and SR classes.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:09 pm

lol.

I can't believe you're afraid to play those teams.

DOOM AND GLOOM! LOSE BY 21 POINTS!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:30 pm

As I mentioned to JB before, I was more worried about the NW game than the Wiscy game. NW at least spreads ya out, playing at home, night game, all jacked up and a different style altogether than Wisconsin.

Thankfully Buckeyes won by double digits, covered the spread and got the W. To the pollsters who don't actually watch the games that'll go over well ;-) ;) :wink:

I'm still trying to figure out the 10 yard cushion all night after NW showed on multiple occasions they could capitalize on that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Oh the horrors of that goddamn cushion. All night. I guess they were worried Roby might just get blown by or get lost on some double move that they just road that lame horse all the way.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol.

I can't believe you're afraid to play those teams.

DOOM AND GLOOM! LOSE BY 21 POINTS!

Huuurrrr Durrrrrrr.

Teams with no real offenses score 30 on the Buckeyes.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Oh the horrors of that goddamn cushion. All night. I guess they were worried Roby might just get blown by or get lost on some double move that they just road that lame horse all the way.

Yeah, those 1 and 2 stars are a bitch to cover.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:52 pm

"It made perfect sense to surrender, the Germans were very, very mean!"

Fuck the crystal ball bullshit. Put 'em on the field, let's see what happens.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena