Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU - Wisky (non Brett Bielema Edition 1)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: OSU - Wisky (non Brett Bielema Edition 1)

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Roby.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Roby gets beat again. Ugh.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Dontre is going to be the truth by the way.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Dontre is going to be the truth by the way.

He hasn't turned it into much yet, but when he has the ball it looks like my TV is in fast forward.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:06 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Dontre is going to be the truth by the way.

He hasn't turned it into much yet, but when he has the ball it looks like my TV is in fast forward.

That's the funny part. Kid's averaging over 10 yards a touch through four games as a true freshman (and over 100 all purpose yards) and we're all sitting here expecting so much more because of how obvious his insane talent is.

The kid pulled a reverse field 20 yard gain in his first B1G game on a stuffed run.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Tressel approves of not passing in the fourth quarter
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks for the Clown show final drive Wisky.

Also, WTF is in the water in C-Bus that causes coaches to refuse to pass in the fourth with a lead?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 am

Sorry I wasn't around much during the game, I finally have an OSU friend that I can watch games with! (A guy I went to school with just moved up to CT). Here are my post game reactions:

-Hopefully Roby majored in something good cuz I am not sure he is going to be able to make a living on Sundays. He and the receiver he was tasked to cover are the only reason Wisky was in this game, at all.

-OSU's DL is FOR REAL. Great game, they ate up space and dominated the LOS. VERY IMPRESSIVE for a bunch of new guys. Washington, Bosa, Spence and Bennett is as good as it gets in NCAAF.

-Curtis Grant looks great against the run. Please, don't ever, EVER ask him to cover anyone ever again!

-Safety play was good.

-Miller can flat out make throws that Guiton cannot make. That said, I am not 100% convinced that OSU's offense is better off with him in the game. That is not a statement on how good Guiton is or how bad Miller is... it is more a statement of how poorly that second half was called. I successfully predicted about 80% of the plays in the 2nd half based on formation (and Tressel-like conservative play calls) alone. Meyer and co. shouldve learned the importance of style points when they went from 2-4 by play unimpressively. I hope that doesn't bite these guys in the ass!

-Can I say again how well the front 7 played the run?

-Couple of drops, that sucks.

-and I agree about Dontre, when he has the ball it does seem like my TV is fast forwarding.

Oh yeah... fuck that second half playcalling, that is playing "not to lose" and it seriously put this game, that was never close in danger! I thought that this shit was going to end when Tressel left!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:35 am

BTW, Christian Bryant broke his ankle.

So there's that.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:09 am

He's played really well this year and has been the best performer in the secondary.

Not to mention that Pitt Brown will be replacing him and he blows. He was out of position on every bubble screen Cal ran and Northwestern is going to bring the same things to the table.

Need to hope Vonn Bell grows up fast enough to take that spot from Pitt, because if he is starting you are in trouble. Especially when your top corner is playing like he doesn't even want to be on the field.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:02 am

Best player on the field was Chris Borland from Kettering Alter for my $$. 5'10" 245lbs of stand you up/fuck you up.

But....umm... yeah, Braxton can't throw. ;-) ;) :wink:

So freaking much better mechanically than he was a year ago and a different guy than two years ago.

But he desperately (at least looking at him right now) needs a senior season.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: OSU - Wisky (non Brett Bielema Edition

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:31 am

Miller generally looks pretty good throwing the ball, it just seems like he holds it for a LONG time. Surpringly, he is not very good at running designed runs which seems weird for a running QB. Maybe teams are just expecting him to run more (certainly) and they are doing a job playing those options when he is in the game.

Losing Bryant sucks. I never thought I would say this, but he has become one of the most valuable contributors on the D. I never had an issue with Bryant's effort or skills, I always hated his 1-2 bad plays in every big game (critical missed tackles, PI, Personal fouls, dropped ints, etc.)
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 am

peeker643 wrote:Best player on the field was Chris Borland from Kettering Alter for my $$. 5'10" 245lbs of stand you up/fuck you up.

So freaking much better mechanically than he was a year ago and a different guy than two years ago.

Shit, I didn't know that kid was from Alter. That's where I got married.

Why isn't he in CBus? Fucking Cinci/Dayton...they need to get with he program.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:46 am

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Best player on the field was Chris Borland from Kettering Alter for my $$. 5'10" 245lbs of stand you up/fuck you up.

Shit, I didn't know that kid was from Alter. That's where I got married.

Why isn't he in CBus? Fucking Cinci/Dayton...they need to get with he program.

Cuz he's built like a kicker, was a 2-star recruit and was never offered at OSU. Can't measure football though. That kid's a little fuckin' monster.

Jeezus, you see him stand up Carlos Hyde in the hole on 3rd or 4th and 1? Kid sheds well, moves laterally down the LoS really well and though he's small, I didn't see him get pushed back last night. I thought a couple times he was going to snap at the waist but his legs are strong and he held his ground. About 20 times per my count.

His listed numbers make me think he's closer 5'9, 225-230lbs.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:01 am

I'm not with you on Miller holding the ball from a passing perspective too long Furls. At least half a dozen times he checked down to this third or fourth read quickly and got rid of the ball. Nor am I with you that he struggles on called runs. He's certainly not a good read option QB but he's very good at straight called runs until you call 15 in a row and everyone in the stadium knows what is coming.

His two biggest issues are the read option and his refusal to just run when no one is open in the passing game. Meyer commented several times last year that he doesn't make teams respect his wheels enough in the passing game because of how hesitant he is the take off.

He also was very, very good at checking to the flash and bubble screens to Philly last night (who actually made some people miss).
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 am

peeker643 wrote:Cuz he's built like a kicker, was a 2-star recruit and was never offered at OSU. Can't measure football though. That kid's a little fuckin' monster.

Jeezus, you see him stand up Carlos Hyde in the hole on 3rd or 4th and 1? Kid sheds well, moves laterally down the LoS really well and though he's small, I didn't see him get pushed back last night. I thought a couple times he was going to snap at the waist but his legs are strong and he held his ground. About 20 times per my count.

Peeker found his football Tiny Tim/Jammey Carroll.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:06 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Cuz he's built like a kicker, was a 2-star recruit and was never offered at OSU. Can't measure football though. That kid's a little fuckin' monster.

Peeker found his football Tiny Tim/Jammey Carroll.

He's SAM MILLS DAMMIT!!!!!

Nah. Just to fun to watch college kids like that that got passed over (and not saying anyone made a mistake passing him over) fit into a system and play it well. Just impressive last night but he needs that DL to keep him clean. I mean, NFL guys do too, but that kid REALLY needs help in front of him.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:09 am

You couldn't even be bothered to give London Fletcher a shout out? You had to go Sam Mills? The 80s are over Peeker, FYI.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:11 am

e0y2e3 wrote:You couldn't even be bothered to give London Fletcher a shout out? You had to go Sam Mills? The 80s are over Peeker, FYI.

MIKE SINGLETARY!!!

HE HAD FIRE IN HIS EYES!!!!

Sam Mills is over too, now that I think about it. Poor bastard.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Roby is just terrible right now, he got abused vs CAL and really really badly last night. Dontre is exciting to watch, but he's yet to break a big one and then they went away from him to the all Brax/Hyde show.

I was surprised Miller didn't go to the TE more.

Nice win, typical OSU/Wisco game.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:25 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I'm not with you on Miller holding the ball from a passing perspective too long Furls. At least half a dozen times he checked down to this third or fourth read quickly and got rid of the ball. Nor am I with you that he struggles on called runs. He's certainly not a good read option QB but he's very good at straight called runs until you call 15 in a row and everyone in the stadium knows what is coming.

His two biggest issues are the read option and his refusal to just run when no one is open in the passing game. Meyer commented several times last year that he doesn't make teams respect his wheels enough in the passing game because of how hesitant he is the take off.

He also was very, very good at checking to the flash and bubble screens to Philly last night (who actually made some people miss).

I should've been more specific about the designed runs... I meant options. He has a 50:50 shot at being right, yet he seems to be wrong 90% of the time. I am not ready to call for KG, I never will be, but I am not a huge Miller guy at this point.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 am

I just got done rewatching the fist half of that game last night and I will tell you what... the best defensive player on the field for the Buckeyes was Michael Bennett. That kid was a freaking animal, and it was all those things that you don't see in real time that made it so. Bennett made some great plays himself, but even moreso for the linebackers. If you rewatch the first half, watch every running play in which an LB made a great tackle and about 50% of the time it was because Bennett was immovable, or the player that was supposed to get the second level block couldn't get there. Bennett was impressive against a big middle of the line. I was worried about how well he would do against the big boys because he is kind of a SSDE that moved inside, but he has no problems as a slightly undersized 3. Hale was pretty good too. The sky is the limit for this DL next year.

I gotta say, Carter was impressive too. He isn't going to make a lot of plays, but when Carter is playing 1 Tech, you know which way the middle of the line is moving.

Josh Perry had a nice game too. I didn't really show in real time, but he does a nice job as the force player on SS running plays.

If OSU didn't already have soooo many great options at WDE and so few at MLB, I would say give Grant a shot over there, he can make plays, he just has no idea what he is doing if he doesn't have to blitz or fill a gap.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:55 pm

"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena