Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

AL Announces WildCard Tie Breaker Format

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

AL Announces WildCard Tie Breaker Format

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:55 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – September 27, 2013

POTENTIAL A.L. WILD CARD TIEBREAKER SEQUENCE ANNOUNCED
Tiebreaker Games to Be Played on Monday and Tuesday If Season Ends
In Three-Way Tie for the Two A.L. Wild Cards

Major League Baseball today announced the Tiebreaker sequence that will be played if the regular season concludes in a three-way tie between the Cleveland Indians, the Tampa Bay Rays and the Texas Rangers for the two American League Wild Card playoff berths. Such a scenario would require Tiebreaker games to be played on both Monday and Tuesday before Wednesday’s American League Wild Card Game presented by Budweiser.

If the three Clubs are tied after Sunday’s games, then the tie will be broken using the following system. Since the three Clubs each won one season series and lost one season series against each other in head-to-head competition in the regular season, MLB will use a system of designations – as Club A, Club B or Club C – based on their combined winning percentages in head-to-head competition against one another in the regular season.

Club A would host Club B on Monday, with the winner earning a Wild Card. The loser of Monday’s game would then play at Club C on Tuesday, with Tuesday’s winner earning the other Wild Card. Home-field advantage in Wednesday’s A.L. Wild Card Game would be determined by the head-to-head record between the two Clubs that earned the Wild Card berths. The relevant winning percentages are:

Head-to-Head Season Series Records:
Combined Records:
TB won season series against CLE, 4-2;
CLE: 7-5 (.583)
TEX won season series against TB, 4-3;
TB: 7-6 (.538)
CLE won season series against TEX, 5-1
TEX: 5-8 (.385)

Because the Indians posted the highest winning percentage, they had the first choice of designation.

The Indians opted to be Club A.

With the second-best record among the three Clubs, the Rays opted to be Club B.

The Rangers received the remaining designation as Club C.

Thus, if the three Clubs are tied after Sunday’s games, then the Indians would host the Rays on Monday, with the winner becoming an A.L. Wild Card. The losing Club in Monday’s game would then play against the Rangers in Texas on Tuesday, with the winner of that game becoming the other A.L. Wild Card.

In the event of a two-team tie for one Wild Card berth, the Tiebreaker game would be played on Monday and hosted by the Club that won the season series between the two Clubs.

TBS and ESPN Radio will provide exclusive coverage of Tiebreaker games and the Wild Card Games presented by Budweiser.
# # #
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: AL Announces WildCard Tie Breaker Format

Unread postby Toxicadam » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:12 pm

I was secretly hoping for a four way tie, just to see how the hell they would figure that one out.
Toxicadam

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Toxicadam wrote:I was secretly hoping for a four way tie, just to see how the hell they would figure that one out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... 4&c_id=mlb

It's outlined there, but it'd be similar. Four teams, team with best combined record against other three teams gets to pick A, B, C, or D. Second-best picks next, etc. A hosts B, C hosts D. Two winners play in wild card game, which I think winner of A/B would host.

So the Indians get both tiebreaker games at home in the event of a three-way tie, even if they lose the first one to the Rays. If they beat the Rays, the Rays have to go to Texas because Texas won the season series. Then Texas would have to come to Cleveland for the official wild card game.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Doc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Rays won't lose 2 of 3, IMO, so it's a moot point.

We just need to win. 4 more in a row. I don't expect Texas or TB to lose any of the next 3, honestly.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:36 pm

How bout they announce something better than an F'ing stupid one game playoff series.

Or they announce home field for the World Series will not be decided by an exhibition game.

Unbelievable how many stupid decisions arise from a billion dollar business.

Three games - no rest. It goes to three and you are starting the next series with your #4. How bout an advantage to the better teams?

Holy Christ.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:17 pm

Doc wrote:Rays won't lose 2 of 3, IMO, so it's a moot point.

We just need to win. 4 more in a row. I don't expect Texas or TB to lose any of the next 3, honestly.

Don't look now, but the Blue Birds doubled up on the Rays 6-3 to take the first game of the series. Could be the only game the Birds get though. Texas is beating LA 5-3 in the bottom of the 8th so they'll probably win.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:46 am

Pack the Jake for regular season Game 163!
Swisher ought to buy a beer for everyone with a bleacher ticket or something to make it extra loud.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby scrambler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:59 am

leadpipe wrote:How bout they announce something better than an F'ing stupid one game playoff series.

Or they announce home field for the World Series will not be decided by an exhibition game.

Three games - no rest. It goes to three and you are starting the next series with your #4. How bout an advantage to the better teams?

Holy Christ.

ON the outside I agree with you about a 3 game series, but if you get into a situation with three teams like could happen this year, the schedule throughout postseason gets screwed up...there's no off days to make up for rainouts like in the other series'. I actually understand the logic of making it a one game coin flip to really put a premium on winning the division...there is some sense to it. World Series home field I agree is beyond the stupidest thing ever. That should just be an alternating year thing....AL home in odd years, NL home in even years....it shouldn't even be best record based like the league playoff series'.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:09 pm

scrambler wrote:
leadpipe wrote:How bout they announce something better than an F'ing stupid one game playoff series.

Holy Christ.

ON the outside I agree with you about a 3 game series, but if you get into a situation with three teams like could happen this year, the schedule throughout postseason gets screwed up...there's no off days to make up for rainouts like in the other series'. I actually understand the logic of making it a one game coin flip to really put a premium on winning the division...there is some sense to it. World Series home field I agree is beyond the stupidest thing ever. That should just be an alternating year thing....AL home in odd years, NL home in even years....it shouldn't even be best record based like the league playoff series'.

It would be very rare there would be a problem that couldn't be solved pretty easily ILO.

By the way, perhaps MLB could start all these playoffs - either one game or three at midnight. That way they could assure that another entire generation of young people has no idea what a MLB playoff game looks like past the 2nd inning.

Wonder why the baseball fanbase is getting old? Cause unless you had real shitty parents, you missed the entirety of the playoffs in your elementary school years.

"Son, if you are really, really good, I'll let you stay up an hour past your bed time to see the World Series starting line-ups announced."
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Tiebreaker tickets are now on sale at Indians.com. Upper bleachers are $12, next cheapest ticket is $29. Better go hop on the cheap ones now. Upper deck seats start at $36.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:08 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Tiebreaker tickets are now on sale at Indians.com. Upper bleachers are $12, next cheapest ticket is $29. Better go hop on the cheap ones now. Upper deck seats start at $36.

I remember game 2 of the ALDS in 2007. Fuckin nosebleed tickets were $130. Unless I got ripped off ::doh::

Edit: just seen that you wrote tiebreaker. Nevermind
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:10 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Tiebreaker tickets are now on sale at Indians.com. Upper bleachers are $12, next cheapest ticket is $29. Better go hop on the cheap ones now. Upper deck seats start at $36.

I remember game 2 of the ALDS in 2007. Fuckin nosebleed tickets were $130. Unless I got ripped off ::doh::

You got ripped off, dude. I got my upper reserves for ALDS Game 2 for $25 when they went on sale.

Upper reserves are $50 each for Wild Card game and ALDS.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:15 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:

You got ripped off, dude. I got my upper reserves for ALDS Game 2 for $25 when they went on sale.

Upper reserves are $50 each for Wild Card game and ALDS.

Bought them the day of probably didn't help
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:59 pm

If we can survive for the top spot and make Tampa and Texas fight it out for the second one, Price, Moore, Darvish and whoever Texas would use on Monday would all be out of commission to start on Wednesday.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:If we can survive for the top spot and make Tampa and Texas fight it out for the second one, Price, Moore, Darvish and whoever Texas would use on Monday would all be out of commission to start on Wednesday.

And make no mistake, this would be enormous for the Indians. Alex Cobb and Matt Garza aren't pushovers, and Cobb's been terrific of late, but they're not Price, Moore, or Darvish.

Indians might get Derek Holland, who pitched today, on Wednesday if the Rangers were to beat the Rays.

A lot of scenarios right now. Just take care of these last two games and get rested up for Wednesday.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:04 pm

One more game. Can they make it one more win? Gawd, I hope so!
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby 7foot3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:05 pm

leadpipe wrote:By the way, perhaps MLB could start all these playoffs - either one game or three at midnight. That way they could assure that another entire generation of young people has no idea what a MLB playoff game looks like past the 2nd inning.

Wonder why the baseball fanbase is getting old? Cause unless you had real shitty parents, you missed the entirety of the playoffs in your elementary school years.

"Son, if you are really, really good, I'll let you stay up an hour past your bed time to see the World Series starting line-ups announced."

Ehh, this isn't much of a problem for the NBA. And of course, not everyone lives on EST.
My avatar is a reflection of Peeker's maturity and self-confidence.
7foot3
Zack Greinke of the Boards

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB