Text Size

College Sports Arena

Week 4 - Florida A&M at OSU - Noon - BTN

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Week 4 - Florida A&M at OSU - Noon - BTN

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:23 pm

No front page preview for this one, because...well...FAMU, okay?

The early line was 57 points....57! I haven't checked today, but heard it came down to 50 after the early money came in. the site I use for point spreads, scoresandodds.com didn't even have the game on their board.

This is a school more famous for its band than for its team...word is OSU offered them $50,000 more (on top of the $900,000 or so they're getting) if they brought their band. But in case you haven't heard, the band is on probation for the 2011 hazing death of a drum major...on the band bus no less. Several of the 15 or so band members charged with manslaughter and/or felony hazing, have yet to come to trial, and the band wasn't allowed to perform for almost two years...until this year's opener...and they still aren't allowed to go to road games. Truth is stranger than fiction.

I watched these guys play almost a full game (their loss to Tennessee Tech) and must say I didn't know a hell of a lot more about them after I was done watching than I did before...another reason I didn't want to fake it and write a preview like I knew the first damn thing about them.

It's all about OSU and whether and how much Braxton plays. There's a case to be made to play him...get ready for Wisconsin...take some shots...get his timing down, etc.

Obviously a case to just sit him against these guys.

Hyde will be back and will definitely play. He tweeted earlier in the week that he felt sorry for the FAMU defense, or something.

Have at it. Here's Steve Helwagen's Game Data sheet from BN:

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/ ... AMU-150166
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Wreek 4 - Florida A&M at OSU - Noon - BTN

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:43 pm

It's ok, Dan.

I'll write the preview.

Tomorrow the Urban Meyer led Buckeyes clash with the FAMU Rattlers. This game will be over by the 2nd quarter.

-----------------------------------

Go ahead and post that on the front page.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Probably the shittiest OSU game ever scheduled. Thanks Gene.

I don't even really know or care what to make of this one. I will watch it, but with less interest than I have in the Spring Game. FAMU has a couple of decent players, but this should be a laugher.

Personally, I fall on the start Kenny G because he deserves this one, but bring Brax in for 2-3 series to get some live work before Wisco, then give it back to the jazz superstar because he deserves the snaps and there is no reason to play Miller more than needed to ensure the rust is gone for next week.

I don't even care to wager a guess at what the score will be. Hopefully it is "alot" to "zero."

One more aside here, if you don't see a freshman play by the end of the game it is a pretty safe bet they are going to RS this year. Jalin Marshall and Mike Mitchell are at the top of the surprise RS list for me.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Let Jones in the 2nd half.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Week 4 - Florida A&M at OSU - Noon - BTN

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:21 pm

66-6
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby fairvis » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:04 pm

This game was only booked to put the FAMU band up against TBDBITL. When it was announced the band had the hazing issue, I was disappointed. This week's halftime show will be epic, I'm sure. And the most entertaining part of the game.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:59 am

BTN shows some halftime show sometimes. I wish FAMU's band was going.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:59 am

IMO if able Braxton should have suited up today. Just to get some reps, get some timing, and get knocked down once or twice. A bit worrisome that his first REAL action of the season will come against a B1G foe like Wisco.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:10 pm

We don't know what his status is. I think he is still hurting based on the fact that he really didn't practice much again this week. Makes no sense to give him a snap if he is not at least 90% I really wanted him to knock some rust off today, but I would rather be conservative this week.

The Buckeyes will win this game by as many points as they want. That said, Guiton's first series has NOT been good. It almost looks like he is not even considering what FAMU is doing. Again, not ledging, but this is another data point that OSU completely does not respect this team. Will be interesting to see what the level of focus really is.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Did I say I didn't like Brown returning punts?

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm

FUDU wrote:Did I say I didn't like Brown returning punts?

Against FAMU? I might be able to take one back against them. They aren't even a good FCS team. This is the worst game ever scheduled at OSU. Seriously. Mount Union gives OSU a better game, seriously.

THEY ARE OUTMATCHED EVERYWHERE.

OSU will score 70 in this game, but it doesn't matter. I sort of don't even want to watch this game. It will take all of my self discipline to stick it out for the 2nd half.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 pm

furls wrote:
FUDU wrote:Did I say I didn't like Brown returning punts?

Against FAMU? I might be able to take one back against them. They aren't even a good FCS team. This is the worst game ever scheduled at OSU. Seriously. Mount Union gives OSU a better game, seriously.

THEY ARE OUTMATCHED EVERYWHERE.

OSU will score 70 in this game, but it doesn't matter. I sort of don't even want to watch this game. It will take all of my self discipline to stick it out for the 2nd half.

Still though, PRs are PRs, nice work by Brown.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Good thing Brutus is not doing pushups for points today. So far it would 7 + 13 + 20 + 27 for 67.... that number is going to get really big really fast.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Roby with a near pick 6. This game is UGLY.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:08 pm

This game is fun for young fans, like 10-13 year olds.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:09 pm

back up PR already in game. This game is about to get much slower I think.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:30 pm

55-0 at halftime....

at what point does the score get embarassing the other way? When a guy that I have never heard of, Mitchell, catches a ball the game is ridiculous.

I expect to see the scout team take the field in the 3rd qtr.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:32 pm

55-0 at halftime....

at what point does the score get embarassing the other way? When a guy that I have never heard of, Mitchell, catches a ball the game is ridiculous.

I expect to see the scout team take the field in the 3rd qtr.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:04 pm

I want to see this Jones launch one. Urban has to let him show off his arm no?

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 pm

WOW, is Jones slow...or I mean are Braxton and Kenny fast.

FUDU

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Florida International asked for a running clock against Louisville. Apparently they got it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:29 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Let Jones in the 2nd half.

Let Jones get his hand stitched and put him back in the 2nd half.
pod2dawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:31 pm

I didn't watch the game because I'm not paying $5 a month for the Big Ten Network and I'm not going to a bar and fighting to get this shitty game put on.

Anyhow, anyone got a rundown of what Freshies played on D?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:01 pm

I ended up at the game expecting a boring experience, but it was actually pretty fun for a 10+ touchdown win. FAMU is really bad, there is no other way to say it. EZE looked great, Dontre had 2 or 3 plays where he was tripped up on his way to the endzone. The line play on both sides of the ball was like a steamroller vs a sponge. Farris had a monster game.

Plus I got to see OSU history.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Re: Week 4 - Florida A&1M at OSU - Noon - BTN

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I didn't watch the game because I'm not paying $5 a month for the Big Ten Network and I'm not going to a bar and fighting to get this shitty game put on.

Anyhow, anyone got a rundown of what Freshies played on D?

Honestly, the D was almost never on the field... seriously. We saw Mike Hill, Bosa, Tre Johnson and that was about it on D for true freshman.

FAMU only got 39 plays on offense in the game. Their longest series was a 5 play 20 yard drive and never crossed midfield. The game was surreal because it was such a mismatch. OSU had 13 series and scored TDs on 11 of them (one INT in the endzone) and a punt in the second half. It was so one sided that it wasn't even really all that fun to watch.

I will try to get the game off my DVR and email it to you. You really can't even tell how well anyone played because even in the second half with the scout team (literally) on the field, OSU was winning every individual match up. There were a couple of guys on the field that I HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF! and I know this roster top to bottom. Frank E played the entire second half!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:07 am

Not that this has anything to do with your point Furls but...Speaking as a parent of baseball players you'd be surprised at the fact that many white kids down here (some PR too) attend schools like FAMU, Bethune-Cookman etc. in order to play baseball. The traditionally AA colleges throw all kind of grant and athletic money at these guys and some jump on it. This has to make ey0's ears hurt.

We had a couple of interesting discussions for sure and my kid did not rule it out but I don't think he would have done it. Certainly at Bethune-Cookman you get to the NCAA playoff round most years and every year you are likely playing Miami, Florida, Florida, Florida St., UCF etc.

We were contacted out of the blue by a school in NC wiht a strong interest, and it turned out the son of a cousin I hadn't seen since I was 13-14 had a kid playing for them.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby jb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14 am

Well Eye you would have seen Guiton throwing passes I've not seen Miller throw. He looks off, hits seems & windows and hits receivers in stride. You would have seen a QB that has vision down the field and doesn't bail on a pass play and run if first option isn't wide open.

The Bucks would be a better offense with Guiton taking QB reps and Miller at the Harvin role and moving the two around.

I was tongue in cheek last week thinking it was a fluke but it is what my eyes tell me. Guiton is a better passer than Miller.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:20 am

How many passes have you seen Brax throw this year?

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:37 am

Guiton did not look sharp early on, some erratic throws and a bad pick in the endzone. There was also times when he lingered in the pocket when he could have taken off for big yards (one was a walk in TD). Braxton turns those into 6.

Kenny G is a very capable backup. Braxton Miller is the starting QB.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:19 am

Braxton's running ability and ability to turn a 3rd and 20 into a first down just with his running make me not want to replace him. So many times in the past 2 seasons we were in 2nd or 3rd and long and the guy breaks off a 30 yard gain by scrambling, breaking tackles and making defenders look bad and slow.

I do think that Kenny makes better reads, better decisions and throws better short and intermediate passes then Miller. I think Miller needs to remain our starting QB though. I also think we will see Meyer use them both with Miller being the clear #1 starter but sometimes having them on the field at the same time and sometimes bringing in Kenny in particular situations. I think Meyer will make it very clear the Braxton is the starter though.

If Meyer uses these 2 properly, and I am sure he will, this team will be impossible to game plan for.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:23 am

Oh yeh JB I do agree with you about his vision, finding secondary receivers and hitting the intermediate and short routes in stride.

The 1st half wheel route TD in the back corner of the end zone was a thing of beauty..splitting 2 defenders and putting the ball exactly where only his receiver could catch it.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:27 am

I don't know why but I didn't really pay attention to the OLine substitutions in the 2nd half---does anyone know how many reps the 2nd and 3rd team Oline guys had?

The DLine was deep into the depth chart most of the game but I didn't notice on the offensive side.

By the way, who the hell is Butler? I didn't even know we had someone by that name and he was in running the ball and Dunn wasn't.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:13 am

Holy, freaking, shit, now Kenny G's performance against a high school team Bauserman would have looked all world against matters?

Ha.....

It's hilarious to me that the staff talking about how much better Kenny G is this year matters yet the same staff saying the same things about Braxton doesn't because the fans have seen Kenny G play the worst three defenses in a row OSU has ever faced....

And Yahoo you might want to rewatch the Cal and SDSU games, Kenny G rarely has had to progress through his reads. His primary option has been open probably 80% of the time he's thrown the ball (Devin Smith was the primary read on his long TD against Cal).

Meyer said after the game and said point blank Braxton is starting. Of course, what would Meyer know.....

For fucks sake, there are high school teams that could beat FAMU. A walk on CB was getting carries....

Meyer also said after the game the plan is the redshirt Dunn, Michael Thomas, Marshall, and Corey Smith. Said the plan will only change if injuries happen, but with how the depth chart is and what not it makes sense to save a year for them.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 am

Oh and if anyone hasn't caught Meyer's post game presser yet his inability to answer if this NC slate got his team ready for conference football tells the entire story. Gene Smith gets a mulligan on this year but this needs to not happen again, especially the playing a terrible I-AA team part.

Leave them to upset UM.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:59 am

Braxton can beat Alabama.

Kenny cannot.
pod2dawg

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:21 pm

EYo... I don't believe I ever said that Kenny should be starting, in fact I definitely said Miller should be starting.

I also am not basing Guiton's performance on what I saw against FAMU.....the guy has looked very good in every game he has played in for us. Let's not forget his Purdue comeback last year.

Also, everyone mentions that Miller looked much better with his passing this year against Buffalo...so look at his stats and passing performance in that game against a team that has given up 130 points in 3 games and compare it to Kenny's passing stats against SDSU and Cal (also shitty defenses I agree - - but certainly no shittier than Buffalo who gave up 23 to Stoneybrook. Buffalo has given up 45 points a game so far this year).

Miller is a damn good quarterback...Guiton is damn good as well.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:25 pm

You said Kenny is progressing through is reads better than Braxton, he isn't. His primary is almost always open. That is all I am saying. Your response doesn't even address that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:I don't know why but I didn't really pay attention to the OLine substitutions in the 2nd half---does anyone know how many reps the 2nd and 3rd team Oline guys had?

The DLine was deep into the depth chart most of the game but I didn't notice on the offensive side.

By the way, who the hell is Butler? I didn't even know we had someone by that name and he was in running the ball and Dunn wasn't.

2nd and 3rd team O-Lines played the entire second half. Boren got in the game at center in the early 2nd quarter IIRC. It was (mostly) Darryl Baldwin at LT, Erik Kramer at LG, Boren and then Elflein at center, mostly Ivan Blackman at RG, and Tommy Brown at RT. Elflein may have played some RG...I haven't seen the game on TV yet. Dodson wasn't in pads, for whatever reason (I was 8 rows behind the OSU bench and could see the inactives easily) Other walk-ons played on the OL as well.

Butler was wearing #17 as you saw, so for a moment I thought Jalin Marshall was in the game...till I saw that the kid in #17 was no more than 5'5". Butler's a walk-on, obviously. Why they have two #17's on the offensive side of the ball I have no clue. Unusual, even to have a walk-on sharing a # with another player on the same side of the ball. E0 shared Meyer's thoughts on the kids who didn't play, and I included his full quote in the front page game recap.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 am

pod2dawg wrote:Braxton can beat Alabama.

Kenny cannot.

Hahahaha.

A two headed Giuller can't beat Bama when they're scoring 60 putting up 700 yards on the D loaded with mediocre 5 stars that can't compare to D'Antonio's 3 stars a decade ago.

Fickle needs to go to fundraising and Vrable to recruiting coordinator.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:02 am

'Bama's offense is meh. Oregon is the one that would embarrass Ohio State. 'Bama actually creates a decent match up against this D; this team's D still has not shown what it will look like against a team like 'Bama. We still haven't seen any 4-3 out of this team. This week's game against Wisco will provide a much better look at how OSU's D would fair against 'Bama and even scUM.

'Bama is kind of a rich man's Wisco, while scUM is a POOR man's Wisco, although I think I would take Gordon over Yeldon any day. Big difference between 'Bama and Wisco is 'Bama has a better passing game and a moderately better OL. scUM has NO passing game, very little talent in the backfield and a bad OL, but they are going to show a lot of 2-2 groupings.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena