Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Brian Hoyer Era Starts Sunday

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The Brian Hoyer Era Starts Sunday

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:59 am

It begins!
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: The Brian Hoyer Era Starts Sunday

Unread postby Spin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 am

Hallahuliah Praise the Lord.

I thought he looked poised and confident in the pocket, looked off primary targets, and got the ball out. Yeah he was against the #3 defense, but he also had the #3 O Line and receivers.

I've always wanted to see him with the starters.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 pm

I fully expect Hoyer to have a good day. I mean look what he has to work with.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 pm

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Logical.

Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle, for once.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:31 pm

I was a little wary before, but now that he lead with the ace of hearts...

Hey! Everyone! Banner's trying to shoot the moon!

It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:32 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Logical.

Not with that arm.

Maybe we catch a AA battery in a bottle.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Spin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Could he be that much worse than Campbell? Seriously, 0-2. It's not like one game is going to keep us out of the playoffs.

We all (should have) known what to expect this year. The Browns spent the off season building the defense. The offense got touched up here and there (Bark, new backups at QB and WR). Next year look for them to draft and sign offense. And hopefully smell .500. Then the following year, fill in the holes with free agents and trading up.

It sure makes more sense than Holmgren's five year plan that never started.
Spin

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

Not with that arm.

Agreed. But we know who Lionel Richie is...Hoyer is still relatively unknown.

Need to survey the "talent"
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:43 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Not with that arm.

Agreed. But we know who Lionel Richie is...Hoyer is still relatively unknown.

Need to survey the "talent"

That'll be the party line, all right.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Spin wrote:Could he be that much worse than Campbell? Seriously, 0-2. It's not like one game is going to keep us out of the playoffs.

We all (should have) known what to expect this year. The Browns spent the off season building the defense. The offense got touched up here and there (Bark, new backups at QB and WR). Next year look for them to draft and sign offense. And hopefully smell .500. Then the following year, fill in the holes with free agents and trading up.

It sure makes more sense than Holmgren's five year plan that never started.

No, if you're tanking, Hoyer is the way to go.

Like Weeden, Campbell is uber-meh, but either one of them might show enough moments of near-competence to accidentally win a game here or there. Hoyer has the bonus of being both uber-meh and physically limited, so teams can throw out the ol' Colt McCoy D (stack the line, blitz like hell, and dare them to beat you deep) and coast their way to 6 points allowed.

Which I guess is a lot like Weeden and Campbell in result.

Go for the gold, boys! If you're gonna suck, do it right and make it be worth something.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Lombardi has said in the past he believed that Brian Hoyer could be a starting QB in the NFL.

Now, we know what we're going to get with the other two. The results are more than likely to be the same, a loss. We know Campbell isn't going to morph into some version of a late career Doug Flutie with the Bills, or Tommy Maddox with the Steelers. So, he's pretty much out the door re: kickstaring the franchise again.

Maybe, maybe, maybe there's still the smallest sliver of a chance that Hoyer turns into become some freak of nature Tom Brady-type and we're not discussing Teddy Bridgewater by Thanksgiving.

Is it doubtful? Yeah. I'm about 90% sure that he's going down in a ball of flames in the metrodome. But that remaining 10% is 10% more than we can say about Weeds or Campbell at this point.

also if he does suck (which again is 90% chance of happening) it does help us tank all the better. So really a win-win situation all around if you think about it.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:34 pm

As long as he doesn't get trapped underneath the American Flag, I think he'll do better than the Ginger Cringer.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Tanking for Teddy begins. Although ya gotta love having an Iggy guy starting for the Browns.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Triple-S wrote:Lombardi has said in the past he believed that Brian Hoyer could be a starting QB in the NFL.

Now, we know what we're going to get with the other two. The results are more than likely to be the same, a loss. We know Campbell isn't going to morph into some version of a late career Doug Flutie with the Bills, or Tommy Maddox with the Steelers. So, he's pretty much out the door re: kickstaring the franchise again.

Maybe, maybe, maybe there's still the smallest sliver of a chance that Hoyer turns into become some freak of nature Tom Brady-type and we're not discussing Teddy Bridgewater by Thanksgiving.

Is it doubtful? Yeah. I'm about 90% sure that he's going down in a ball of flames in the metrodome. But that remaining 10% is 10% more than we can say about Weeds or Campbell at this point.

also if he does suck (which again is 90% chance of happening) it does help us tank all the better. So really a win-win situation all around if you think about it.

Lombardi saying that is the kiss of death. There's no way a QB that Lombardi likes doesn't suck.

I've watched the guy play. IMO, doesn't have the limbs to be anything more than JAG, at best. JAG's get killed on this can't-run-can't-block-can't-catch offense.

So if Weeden was a 15% chance of being good when drafted and, let's say, 5% now, Hoyer is lowfat milk.

But, hey, I get the idea behind the "at least he's not [insert QB that you're tired of here]" momentary excitement. I had that with Kelly Unitas.

Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm

As long as he is not one of these I am fine with it.
Attachments
250px-A-10_Tank_Killer_Coverart.png
250px-A-10_Tank_Killer_Coverart.png (147.02 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Hikohadon wrote:But, hey, I get the idea behind the "at least he's not [insert QB that you're tired of here]" momentary excitement. I had that with Kelly Unitas.

right, and I buy that.

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's only started one game, and only played in a handful of them. I want to wait until at least halftime until I can deem him as irredeemable, and the season completely lost. Then we can all discuss which QB we're drafting next year.

I was simply saying the Lombardi part because I believe that's the reason the guy is playing above asll.

If weeds is indeed out for the season, than I do agree Hoyer gives you the best shot at out-sucking the Jaguars.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Tanking. Yes...cause playing Campbell gives us such a better chance of winning on Sunday.

They need to see what they have in Hoyer. Is he starter quality (probably not), is he a solid back-up (maybe), or is he a 3rd string / practice squad / disposable guy (maybe).
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Spin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:39 pm

I guess the biggest question is,

Are his passes (thrown while horizontal) more catchable by Obifuckup and CatchesVery Little?

Shurrr's offense was better.
Spin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Tanking. Yes...cause playing Campbell gives us such a better chance of winning on Sunday.

Well, he does. Not MUCH better, but better. That's why when they designated the QB order, they put him at #2 and Hoyer at #3. That, and he's won actual NFL games before.

It's not very often that coaches feel the guy they ranked as third best on the squad gives them a better chance than a guy they felt was second best.

Hikohadon

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Well at least he'll have our strong running game as a crutch.
pod2dawg

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 pm

see, now we are gonna get into a breakdown on language and usage

Sure, Campbell is a more accomplished QB. And, as I alluded, he gives you a better chance of winning an NFL game.

I just don't believe he gives you THAT much better of a chance. So much so that people can claim "tanking"

At some point, the value of winning a game is less than the value of evaluating players.

We are at that point.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Man, I thought you guys paid attention to the Browns. Obviously not, because if you did you would know how this plays out.

Hoyer plays just high enough above his own head that the organization decides to see him for another year, passes on Teddy B at #2, trade down for a haul of picks so we can pick the next QB the following year by using all of the assets we acquired by trading down.

Duh.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:52 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:see, now we are gonna get into a breakdown on language and usage

Sure, Campbell is a more accomplished QB. And, as I alluded, he gives you a better chance of winning an NFL game.

I just don't believe he gives you THAT much better of a chance. So much so that people can claim "tanking"

At some point, the value of winning a game is less than the value of evaluating players.

We are at that point.

I agree with you in the aspect that playing Hoyer over Campbell does not in and of itself constitute tanking.

The tanking began in the offseason, before the draft even. So this move isn't evidence that they are "just now" tanking. Just maybe evidence that they're not really trying to hide it as much as they were.

They're sending out "read-between-the-lines" signals to the fans - "See, we know what we're doing, we're tanking for a QB, but we can't say that out loud and we can't say it to you if we expect you to show up on Sundays, but for those of you that are paying attention, yes, we're tanking. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone."

Or they're just retarded.

Too close to call, really.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
JacksonDysonJackson wrote:see, now we are gonna get into a breakdown on language and usage

We are at that point.

I agree with you in the aspect that playing Hoyer over Campbell does not in and of itself constitute tanking.

The tanking began in the offseason, before the draft even. So this move isn't evidence that they are "just now" tanking. Just maybe evidence that they're not really trying to hide it as much as they were.

They're sending out "read-between-the-lines" signals to the fans - "See, we know what we're doing, we're tanking for a QB, but we can't say that out loud and we can't say it to you if we expect you to show up on Sundays, but for those of you that are paying attention, yes, we're tanking. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone."

Or they're just retarded.

Too close to call, really.

Agreed , the Tank started with the draft pick stockpile, and the decision to treat the cap like Ebiniezer Scrooge treated days off
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Govbarney wrote:Agreed , the Tank started with the draft pick stockpile, and the decision to treat the cap like Ebiniezer Scrooge treated days off

Yep.

Throwing Chris Owens, Busta Skrine, and a 3rd round pick at the starting CB spot is like spitting on a grease fire.

The most devious move is clearly trading for a Guard to help out with your desperately depleted corps, then "failing" him in your physical, only to have him pass a physical for the Broncos, who clearly don't know what they're doing.

I actually have an increased appreciation for Banner now. Contingent upon him getting a Top 3 pick, of course.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Wait, why does HIKO keep posting pictures of....oh.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Every 20 years a franchise is gifted with a Todd Philcox.
jb

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:47 pm

jb wrote:Every 20 years a franchise is gifted with a Todd Philcox.

I always thought he would have been better if his name was Phil Toddcox.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:36 am

Hikohadon wrote:
Govbarney wrote:Agreed , the Tank started with the draft pick stockpile, and the decision to treat the cap like Ebiniezer Scrooge treated days off

Yep.

Throwing Chris Owens, Busta Skrine, and a 3rd round pick at the starting CB spot is like spitting on a grease fire.

The most devious move is clearly trading for a Guard to help out with your desperately depleted corps, then "failing" him in your physical, only to have him pass a physical for the Broncos, who clearly don't know what they're doing.

I actually have an increased appreciation for Banner now. Contingent upon him getting a Top 3 pick, of course.

It's clearly tank.

Clearly. They now have 2 first round picks again. And they won't fuck up the trade into QB territory this time.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:56 am

The December 1st game against Jacksonville will be the most epic tank battle since this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk

I may have to get tickets to that one.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:05 am

I am looking forward to Hoyer's passing prowess . Our ground game with Rainey behind Greco & Cousins will force the Vikings to cheat up with their safeties.
pod2dawg

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:11 am

Govbarney wrote:The December 1st game against Jacksonville will be the most epic tank battle since this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk

I may have to get tickets to that one.

hell, we should do a TCF outing...
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:12 am

peeker643 wrote: And they won't fuck up the trade into QB territory this time.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Don't do that to yourself.
jb

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 am

jb wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA.

They better not leave it to chance.

Does anyone have John St Clair's number?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:41 am

motherscratcher wrote:
jb wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA.

They better not leave it to chance.

Does anyone have John St Clair's number?

I laughed, thanks for that.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:56 am

I can't comprehend why people think this is tanking. How many wins could Trent Richardson individually produce by his mere presence?? My guess is zero...absolutely zero. This trade has zero impact on their win total this year at all. 2 of his 3 100 yard games last year were losses and the one they won they scored 7 points total.

IN their 4 other wins Richardson went 14 for 37....29 for 85....20 for 72....and 18 for 42. Any other running back on the planet couldn't have put up those numbers in those 4 wins??

So yeah, what's changed to make him go from 3 and a half yards a carry to 4 and a half this year??
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:10 am

^^^^^ Trading T-Rich wasn't tanking.

No guards, one Corner, 1/2 a Safety.....that's tanking.
pod2dawg

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:19 am

scrambler wrote:I can't comprehend why people think this is tanking. How many wins could Trent Richardson individually produce by his mere presence?? My guess is zero...absolutely zero. This trade has zero impact on their win total this year at all. 2 of his 3 100 yard games last year were losses and the won they won they scored 7 points total.

IN their 4 other wins Richardson went 14 for 37....29 for 85....20 for 72....and 18 for 42. Any other running back on the planet couldn't have put up those numbers in those 4 wins??

So yeah, what's changed to make him go from 3 and a half yards a carry to 4 and a half this year??

This alone isn't tanking. This is just the trumpet to announce "Hey, we've been tanking!"

They started tanking when Free Agency began where they refused to address a boatload of weaknesses with even temporary solutions despite having a surplus of cap space. The continued the tanking by trading out of several draft picks to stockpile draft picks next year - not like those were super-important draft picks, but they needed to get more warm bodies to fill those holes they left by not doing anything about them in FA. Then they broke Training Camp with half the team being Undrafted Free Agents and did nothing to address the fact that they were going into a season with Oneil Cousins in a STARTING role.

So yesterday's developments was just them not hiding their cards anymore.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 am

Hikohadon wrote:
scrambler wrote:I can't comprehend why people think this is tanking. How many wins could Trent Richardson individually produce by his mere presence?? My guess is zero...absolutely zero. This trade has zero impact on their win total this year at all. 2 of his 3 100 yard games last year were losses and the won they won they scored 7 points total.

This alone isn't tanking. This is just the trumpet to announce "Hey, we've been tanking!"

They started tanking when Free Agency began where they refused to address a boatload of weaknesses with even temporary solutions despite having a surplus of cap space. The continued the tanking by trading out of several draft picks to stockpile draft picks next year - not like those were super-important draft picks, but they needed to get more warm bodies to fill those holes they left by not doing anything about them in FA. Then they broke Training Camp with half the team being Undrafted Free Agents and did nothing to address the fact that they were going into a season with Oneil Cousins in a STARTING role.

And I don't think they wanted to show their cards. At least not this openly. But they probably never thought in a million years they could get a 1st for a RB. And they just couldn't pass that up.

God bless Vick Ballard's ACL.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 am

motherscratcher wrote:And I don't think they wanted to show their cards. At least not this openly. But they probably never thought in a million years they could get a 1st for a RB. And they just couldn't pass that up.

I suspect you're right, going Hoyer and trading Richardson in the same day is definitely playing with being overly obvious.

Gonna have to try to "just barely lose" a couple of the upcoming games. Maybe pay the holder to drop the snap on the game winning FG attempt. Have Chud call a double reverse on 4th and short. That kind of thing.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:32 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

And I don't think they wanted to show their cards. At least not this openly. But they probably never thought in a million years they could get a 1st for a RB. And they just couldn't pass that up.

Bull crap.

Several sources saying this has been in teh words for weeks.

Ask yourself, why ws Trich shevlevd during OTA? Why was he put out of TC with a hang nail as a "prevaution"? Why was he getting 13 carries a week.

banner is lying about this coming up just yesterday per Trivisano and lane Atkins. Truv says he was told is was becasue when they made it obvious ticket sales were done.

Ticket holdrs got "cost plussed".
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 am

Hikohadon wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:And I don't think they wanted to show their cards. At least not this openly. But they probably never thought in a million years they could get a 1st for a RB. And they just couldn't pass that up.

I suspect you're right, going Hoyer and trading Richardson in the same day is definitely playing with being overly obvious.

Gonna have to try to "just barely lose" a couple of the upcoming games. Maybe pay the holder to drop the snap on the game winning FG attempt. Have Chud call a double reverse on 4th and short. That kind of thing.

Enetr a drunk Moscra to race the weienr dogs....
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:40 am

jb wrote:Ticket holdrs got "cost plussed".

I believe Jimmy knew nothing about the overcharging at Petrol.

I believe Banner knew nothing about dumping T-Rich till yesterday.

......And I never check my receipts at Walgreens.
pod2dawg

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:44 am

Hikohadon wrote:They started tanking when Free Agency began where they refused to address a boatload of weaknesses...

No.

This regime in its first year was more aggressive in FA than any other regime in BORWNS history.

Like others before them, they're taking a niiiice long term patient approach in a win-starved impatient town. Props to them if they can actually manage to stick to it instead of panicking like dumbasses in Year 3/4 as others have in the past.

Refraining from going all out to win as many games as possible in Year 1 ≠ tanking. JB's right to point at our approach to the offseason as evidence they were lying about winning now, but that doesn't mean tank.
Last edited by HoodooMan on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

jb wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Bull crap.

Several sources saying this has been in teh words for weeks.

Ask yourself, why ws Trich shevlevd during OTA? Why was he put out of TC with a hang nail as a "prevaution"? Why was he getting 13 carries a week.

banner is lying about this coming up just yesterday per Trivisano and lane Atkins. Truv says he was told is was becasue when they made it obvious ticket sales were done.

Ticket holdrs got "cost plussed".

I guess. I'm still surprised they got a first.

Stop typing with your nose.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Enetr a drunk Moscra to race the weienr dogs....

Is there any other kind?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:49 am

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:They started tanking when Free Agency began where they refused to address a boatload of weaknesses...

No.

This regime in its first year was more aggressive in FA than any other regime in BORWNS history.

Like others before them, they're taking a niiiice long term patient approach in a win-starved impatient town. Props to them if they can actually manage to stick to it instead of panicking like dumbasses in Year 3/4 as others have in the past.

Refraining from going all out to win as many games as possible in Year 1 ≠ tanking. JB's right to point at our approach to the offseason as evidence they were lying about winning now, but that doesn't mean tank.

Call it what you want, "tanking" or "refraining to go all out", I think the number one goal since the start of FA was to get a high draft pick. If they thought Krueger and Bryant were going to mean the difference this year between the 2nd and the 12th pick, those guys wouldn't be here. They left just enough holes.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:01 am

HoodooMan wrote:

No.

Not trying to win... Tanking... Semantics I don't care to debate. They're trying to set themselves up for next year, this year means little.

And Kruger, Bryant, and Groves were decent signings that were necessary due to the scheme change, but not many of them and they're not difference makers. All the holes that pre-existed? Nothing. CB, S, TE, G, FB, they didn't even try.

Their bullshit FA effort was Heckert-esque. Aggressive? Derisive snort!
Hikohadon

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:13 am

motherscratcher wrote:Call it what you want, "tanking" or "refraining to go all out"

There's a difference, isn't there?

Yes, I believe they'd like to have a really high pick to use on a QB in 2014. But to believe they're cackling behind the scenes all sinisterlike doing everything they can to lose as many games as possible? BS. That's just more "Bob Lamonte owns the BORWNS"-level silliness.

What's the evidence for it?

We didn't fill every hole in FA! The most aggressive GM we've had with respect to FA up to this point was probably Phil Savage. What we got in Year 1, however, was Joe F'ing Andruzzi. (IIRC)

We're starting Hoyer instead of Campbell! Before that decision was even made public, I'm reading lots of people saying we should start Hoyer over Campbell, because we already know what we have in Campbell, and Hoyer looked pretty good in X season, so let's see what Hoyer has. Now they do it, and it's a tank?

We traded Trent's 3.5 YPC! All hope is lost! If what JB said above is true, and it would make sense if it was--that this wasn't a deal that was put together overnight, I think you can infer a few things. 1) Probably every single player on this roster has a published (to GMz only, sorry fanz!) sale price on his head. 2) Trent's was a 1st round pick. 3) All 31 teams in the NFL passed until the Colts' RB was injured and they panicked. That aint tanking. It's taking something you believe is worth more for something you believe is worth less.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL