Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Pirates and Analytics

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Pirates and Analytics

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:00 am

Everyone's taken notice of the Pirates' success, and a lot of people have doubted them all season long for what appears to be a talent deficiency compared to the Reds and Cardinals. But, a shift in thinking in the front office pertaining to defense has made a huge impact.

This is a great read and kudos to former Indians assistant GM Neal Huntington for helping to orchestrate the Pirates big turnaround: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4689 ... z2f3m07gRT
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Pirates and Analytics

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 am

It is good that Huntington didn't go off and blame the fans. Any chance Trevor could be convinced of this?
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Re: Pirates and Analytics

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 am

Great article. I love reading stuff like that. I can't wait for the playoffs where I'll get a chance to see some of these teams that I don't have time to watch during the regular season.

In 2008, the Pirates hired Dan Fox to be their first data architect. Fox was a former writer at Baseball Prospectus and a computer science whiz. More than anyone, he changed the way the Pirates thought about defense.

Fox researched where balls historically most often had been hit. He took evidence to Huntington that suggested the Pirates should change their defensive alignment. Fox suggested the Pirates not only increase their use of shifts but also alter where defenders, particularly infielders, are placed in base defenses.

This reminds me of a story I heard about Wayne Gretzky. When Gretzky was a kid he would sit in front of the TV with a piece of paper that he'd drawn a hockey rink on. He would just watch the game and trace where the puck was going of the paper. At the end of the game the dark spots are where the puck is.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB