Text Size

College Sports Arena

No way, not Les Miles @ OK St.

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

No way, not Les Miles @ OK St.

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: No way, not Les Miles @ OK St.

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Don't give ESPN the satisfaction of the page click.

Here is the full Part 1 from SI...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130910/oklahoma-state-part-1-money/
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Where doesn't this happen?

For years now?

How old was the best seller "Friday Night Lights"? They pretty much decribed the college scene for big time players. The big player from that time was Jessie Armstead I believe, and they were inquiring as to "what type of girls would you like to meet tonight" during his visit.

Hell, Jason Williams of Duke was on a radio show two weeks ago speaking about the Manziel situation - he mentioned that his jersey had made well into six figs for the University, he saw zero, which pissed him off. So, as he said, he wasn't going to say anything if an envelope or box or 2...or 3 mysteriously showed up in his residence. Holier than thou Duke?

Everywhere.

Such a non-story.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:35 am

leadpipe wrote:Where doesn't this happen?

For years now?

How old was the best seller "Friday Night Lights"? They pretty much decribed the college scene for big time players. The big player from that time was Jessie Armstead I believe, and they were inquiring as to "what type of girls would you like to meet tonight" during his visit.

Hell, Jason Williams of Duke was on a radio show two weeks ago speaking about the Manziel situation - he mentioned that his jersey had made well into six figs for the University, he saw zero, which pissed him off. So, as he said, he wasn't going to say anything if an envelope or box or 2...or 3 mysteriously showed up in his residence. Holier than thou Duke?

Everywhere.

Such a non-story.

Exactly- All over this country there would be, "No way, not _______ at ______" for any single coach at any single school.

Who gives a fuck?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

I just can't believe that Jim Tressel had such a far reach. That guy was ruining these poor amateur athletes everywhere, it would seem.

But the way that T-Boone influenced those reverse raffles back in the 80's is what sets this whole sordid affair apart.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:20 pm

I am shocked, shocked that these scandalous revelations are coming out about Oklahoma State. Do you realize they were one game away from a national championship two years ago? Did you ever realize what the ratings would have been like for a BCS Championship starring the Hokies?

Such madness and potential lost ad revenues must be stopped. Bring out the Cone of Shame!
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:

For years now?

Everywhere.

Such a non-story.

Exactly- All over this country there would be, "No way, not _______ at ______" for any single coach at any single school.

Who gives a fuck?

I fully get why Tat-Gate became the story it did (I mean no one in CFB draws as much attention as OSU), but you gotta get why OSU fans are still a bit bitter too. I mean ESPN had guys hiding in bushes and stalking cars for months. I've never seen as desperate an attempt to turn anything up that ended up with a whole bunch of "meh".

Amazingly now all of the sudden rich fucks like Johnny Football are excused for selling autographs for rims on their benz because of the system?

The story itself is as unimpressive as it gets, but the change in narrative is hilarious.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:00 pm

^^^^that X a zillion
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm

i don't recall Kevin Summlin hiding the matter or lying about it to cover it up.

maybe that's why it had a different magnitude?

That and Mark may threatened to kick everyone's ass if they didn't hide in the bushes.

I really DK exactly WHY tOSU is America's most hated CFB team, but it sure appears that way.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Obviously Tress lied and that made the crime different.

But again, kids with Tatoos got reporters in bush's, faceless sources on OTL, and SI pieces about "fixed raffles".

The investigation came nowhere near fitting the crime.

I mean where is the investigation into Manziel's multi-national tour last winter? NBA Finals, courtside.... Drake? Partying with his douchey ass.... etc.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Looks like even the SEC can't come out of these revelations unscathed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--doc ... 13237.html

Down goes a Bama title?

The lesson, as always, is that Yahoo does the NCAA's job yet again.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

For years now?

Everywhere.

Such a non-story.

Who gives a fuck?

I fully get why Tat-Gate became the story it did (I mean no one in CFB draws as much attention as OSU), but you gotta get why OSU fans are still a bit bitter too. I mean ESPN had guys hiding in bushes and stalking cars for months. I've never seen as desperate an attempt to turn anything up that ended up with a whole bunch of "meh".

Amazingly now all of the sudden rich fucks like Johnny Football are excused for selling autographs for rims on their benz because of the system?

The story itself is as unimpressive as it gets, but the change in narrative is hilarious.

Probably the best take I have seen in this forum in a couple of years. The change in narrative is completely the story. When Pryor was selling his autograph it was the worst thing ever, when Manziel was it was a, "Well, athletes should be allowed to sell their autographs." AJ Green should be pissed (along with pretty much every other athlete that got pounded in the ass for about the same thing).

I have to say, I am surprised that ESPN never really found anything at OSU. Could you imagine if they devoted that amount of time at 'Bama, Auburn, Clemson or Ole Miss?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

For years now?

Everywhere.

Such a non-story.

Who gives a fuck?

Probably the best take I have seen in this forum in a couple of years. The change in narrative is completely the story. When Pryor was selling his autograph it was the worst thing ever, when Manziel was it was a, "Well, athletes should be allowed to sell their autographs." AJ Green should be pissed (along with pretty much every other athlete that got pounded in the ass for about the same thing).

I have to say, I am surprised that ESPN never really found anything at OSU. Could you imagine if they devoted that amount of time at 'Bama, Auburn, Clemson or Ole Miss?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 pm

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:44 pm

I never look forward to agreeing with eieio, but he's right, and that was in large part why I posted this. Whether or not the NCAA looks the other way for certain schools or conferences is a bit moot (even though there is evidence to suggest they do) but it isn't just the NCAA that picks and chooses who is guilty in the court of public opinion, ahead of time.

BTW Furls, you have the best double takes ever!

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:14 pm

FUDU wrote:I never look forward to agreeing with eieio, but he's right, and that was in large part why I posted this. Whether or not the NCAA looks the other way for certain schools or conferences is a bit moot (even though there is evidence to suggest they do) but it isn't just the NCAA that picks and chooses who is guilty in the court of public opinion, ahead of time.

Thanks X2

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:31 am

Furls, you're really surprised the ESPN investigative journalism team didn't turn anything up?

You could put a crack team of TCF posters together and you'd have a better shot. ESPN's been out of the journalism game so long there is no way their people remember how to be actual investigative reporters (outside of some of the Grantland guys and Wright Thompson who never made it to OSU).

Bet you we could find dirtiness in a week, tops.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:48 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Furls, you're really surprised the ESPN investigative journalism team didn't turn anything up?

You could put a crack team of TCF posters together and you'd have a better shot. ESPN's been out of the journalism game so long there is no way their people remember how to be actual investigative reporters (outside of some of the Grantland guys and Wright Thompson who never made it to OSU).

Whaddaya mean? Olberman's back.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 am

jb wrote: I really DK exactly WHY tOSU is America's most hated CFB team, but it sure appears that way.

I don't get it either. Some type of perceived of sanctimony is what I can gather from the SEC/Big 12 fans down here in Tejas. Please DO NOT shoot the messenger :group:

Best team in a conference which is generally misunderstood everywhere except the Midwest
Tressel coverup - this one is a lot bigger than we admit
Meyer's exit from Florida and hire at tOSU not well understood and routinely hated
Gordon Gee (now gone, I know)
Getting thrashed by the SEC 2 years in a row - this is a pretty big issue with some
Cake schedule, undeserving of BCS Bowl Games (see above)
Year in year out top 3 revenue and expenses (athletic department)
Fan base travels very well and routinely gets drunk when on the road (leads to claims of "obnoxious") - probably deserved :cheers:
Most nationally relevant team not in God's Conference
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:06 am

^ would make a lot more sense if Tress' record in BCS bowls wasn't so superior to Stoops. It also really pisses me off that OSU has to eat shit for the 2007 game against LSU. 15 teams choked the final two weeks of that season to get OSU into that game, a game they shouldn't have been in. It's not OSU's fault no one wanted to win that year and teams like BC, USF and Rutgers were all in the top three at various times.

Anyhow my theory is simple, CFB fans generally suck and OSU fans suck as much as anyone. On top of that there are more OSU fans and OSU is always relevant so they are always being annoying.

There is no Finebaum show to keep OSU fans contained like Bama fans.

There also is some big blowback from Tress playing holier than thou and then throwing it all away for the likes of TPeezy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:18 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Anyhow my theory is simple, CFB fans generally suck and OSU fans suck as much as anyone. On top of that there are more OSU fans and OSU is always relevant so they are always being annoying.

And your theory is 100% spot on. You should see the Aggies revel in the fact that Johnny Football "told the NC2A where to stick it" while JT ran "a dirty program"

in the immortal words of some dude or movie character whom I cannot recall

"fuck those fucking fucks"
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 am

How stupid. You can't even remember who you're quoting. Maybe you should hit yourself in the face with a shovel until you remember.

AND FINEBAUM LOLOLOLOLOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 am

^ a perfect example of the random annoying OSU fan... a complete and utter homer that just says things from a pedestal because he can because he's an OSU fan!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:34 am

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 am

lolz
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:38 am

I have no need for a pedestal.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:47 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:How stupid. You can't even remember who you're quoting. Maybe you should hit yourself in the face with a shovel until you remember.

Go fuck yourself you fucking fuck.
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:51 am

And how.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:And how.

The phrase "Fuck you, you fucking fuck!" is a memorable quote from the movie Blue Velvet from 1986......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuck

Happy now?
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:10 pm

I already knew that.... It's from the weird ass apartment scene with Dennis Hopper inhaling something.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Props to Stephen A Smith as he comments on this general topic (in light of the latest about 5 SEC players receiving "benefits"). I've come around to SAS.

FUDU

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:55 pm

FUDU wrote:I've come around to SAS.

Software as a Service?
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Furls, you're really surprised the ESPN investigative journalism team didn't turn anything up?

Good point. Why bother sending the guys to C-Bus then?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I already knew that.... It's from the weird ass apartment scene with Dennis Hopper inhaling something.

I have an original 12 x 24 oil painting of Frank Boothe in my man cave.

PBR can in one hand and inhaler mask in the other.

True.
jb

Unread postby Spin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 pm

FUDU wrote:I never look forward to agreeing with eieio, but he's right, and that was in large part why I posted this. Whether or not the NCAA looks the other way for certain schools or conferences is a bit moot (even though there is evidence to suggest they do) but it isn't just the NCAA that picks and chooses who is guilty in the court of public opinion, ahead of time.

+1+1+1
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 am

mattvan1 wrote:

Software as a Service?

Stephen A Smith, he's a far cry from what he used to be, in a good way.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 am

FUDU wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Software as a Service?

Stephen A Smith, he's a far cry from what he used to be, in a good way.

Oh god, batten down the hatches and lock the shelter door....

jb

Return to College Sports Arena