Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Come the Gold Rush

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Dixon doesn't tear his knee in half he wins the heisman that year and in a 2014 world is a top two round prospect.

But your point holds in that you don't have to trade 55 first round picks and draft The Guy at #2 overall.


Yep. I'm not naive enough to say that all the "mobile" QB's got fair shots, but it's also not like Steve McNair was a 5th round pick. It's more common now, but I don't think there was ever a time that teams shunned good passers because they could run.

(Enter Warren Moon to set me straight... even though he couldn't really run.)


No doubt, but McNair, Culpepper, and McNabb all would have been better in a read option based system and were forced to play in pure pocket based systems that didn't maximize their skill sets.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Hell, if Vick was put in a system where he had four reads and his runs were designed maybe we're talking about his career differently....

Oh wait, he killed a puppy, nevermind.

Fucking puppies.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:hiko the point is that if Dennis Dixon (pre knee-shredded variety) comes out in 2014 he gets a legit shot in the NFL. He doesn't get to sit and rot behind Big Ben in Pitt and then end up out of the league.

Plenty of Dennis Dixon types have been ignored by teh No Fun League and now they won't be.


Not sure I buy that, if you can play, most teams will find a way to use you. Dixon maybe got drafted by the wrong team, or maybe he just didn't have the passing skills.

Why do we give a shit about the Dennis Dixons of the world again?


Because you can draft them in the 5th round?

If you have the foresight and balls to run "a college offense" in the NFL.

Which the Browns do not and Norv will not/cannot so yeah, I guess we really don't care.


Well then you people should stop making such a big deal about them so we can keep drafting them in the 5th. Then run a college offense that won't work because if the guy had any passing ability he would've been drafted in the 1st or 2nd.

It's sneaky genius! And no one in the NFL except Chip Kelly is smart enough to see it!


Why weren't Wilson and Kaepernick drafted higher then? Both can throw, obviously.


Wilson was 5'2 and 25. And wasn't he in the draft where a team sacrificed 3 drafts to get RG3?

Kap was raw and from Nevada. He was still drafted high in the 2nd based purely on potential.

EJ Manuel got drafted in the 1st for the same reason, and he's not even the prospect that Kap was.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:hiko the point is that if Dennis Dixon (pre knee-shredded variety) comes out in 2014 he gets a legit shot in the NFL. He doesn't get to sit and rot behind Big Ben in Pitt and then end up out of the league.

Plenty of Dennis Dixon types have been ignored by teh No Fun League and now they won't be.


Not sure I buy that, if you can play, most teams will find a way to use you. Dixon maybe got drafted by the wrong team, or maybe he just didn't have the passing skills.

Why do we give a shit about the Dennis Dixons of the world again?


Because you can draft them in the 5th round?

If you have the foresight and balls to run "a college offense" in the NFL.

Which the Browns do not and Norv will not/cannot so yeah, I guess we really don't care.


Well then you people should stop making such a big deal about them so we can keep drafting them in the 5th. Then run a college offense that won't work because if the guy had any passing ability he would've been drafted in the 1st or 2nd.

It's sneaky genius! And no one in the NFL except Chip Kelly is smart enough to see it!


Why weren't Wilson and Kaepernick drafted higher then? Both can throw, obviously.


Wilson was 5'2 and 25. And wasn't he in the draft where a team sacrificed 3 drafts to get RG3?

Kap was raw and from Nevada. He was still drafted high in the 2nd based purely on potential.

EJ Manuel got drafted in the 1st for the same reason, and he's not even the prospect that Kap was.


The correct answer is "because only 2 (college, ahem) coaches saw their potential as a dual threat QB in the right offense"

Because the rest of the league either has an elite QB or is Amish
Last edited by mattvan1 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Dixon doesn't tear his knee in half he wins the heisman that year and in a 2014 world is a top two round prospect.

But your point holds in that you don't have to trade 55 first round picks and draft The Guy at #2 overall.


Yep. I'm not naive enough to say that all the "mobile" QB's got fair shots, but it's also not like Steve McNair was a 5th round pick. It's more common now, but I don't think there was ever a time that teams shunned good passers because they could run.

(Enter Warren Moon to set me straight... even though he couldn't really run.)


No doubt, but McNair, Culpepper, and McNabb all would have been better in a read option based system and were forced to play in pure pocket based systems that didn't maximize their skill sets.


Maybe. Maybe those systems prolonged their careers.

Behind closed doors in WAS right now, you know they're having the discussion if they want RG3 for 10 good years, or 3 really good ones.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:07 pm

mattvan1 wrote:The correct answer is "because only 2 (college, ahem) coaches saw their potential as a dual threat QB in the right offense"


Ha! Good one.

That totally explains Mike Shanahahan selling the farm for RG3.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I simply refuse to believe that running QBs ACLs are more exposed than in the pocket QBs.

What I believe happened with RGIII is that his coach is a dumbass and they trotted him out there on a banged up knee and got it exploded. Not sure how that happening has any relevance.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 pm

(EJ Manuel was drafted by a college coach too matt, if you're going to go for uppercuts you should at least hit him in the damn chin)
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:16 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:The correct answer is "because only 2 (college, ahem) coaches saw their potential as a dual threat QB in the right offense"


Ha! Good one.

That totally explains Mike Shanahahan selling the farm for RG3.



Had Walrus drafted RG3 would he have junked the WCO? We're not talking about elite guys going high in the first, we're talking about guys who were born to run the spread being overlooked by the majority of teams. Thus it is easier to find your "QB of the future".

If you are willing to go outside the norm.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I simply refuse to believe that running QBs ACLs are more exposed than in the pocket QBs.

What I believe happened with RGIII is that his coach is a dumbass and they trotted him out there on a banged up knee and got it exploded. Not sure how that happening has any relevance.


It's not just ACLs etc, it shoulder & head shots as well, and just general abuse in general. When a QB leaves the pocket the chances increase that they will get hit, the chances increase that they will even incur even an fluke injury.

...and yes his coach was a dumbass.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I simply refuse to believe that running QBs ACLs are more exposed than in the pocket QBs.

What I believe happened with RGIII is that his coach is a dumbass and they trotted him out there on a banged up knee and got it exploded. Not sure how that happening has any relevance.


The rules over-protect the QB in the pocket.

They don't protect them as a runner. Vick came up limping several times in the Philly game, no way that guy lasts.

Now, if the NFL protects QB's all over the field the way that Harbaugh wants... well, then it's a different game and you'd be foolish not to trot a mobile QB out there.

Look no further than Clay Matthews for evidence that teams want to take out the mobile QB's when they run.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:28 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:The correct answer is "because only 2 (college, ahem) coaches saw their potential as a dual threat QB in the right offense"


Ha! Good one.

That totally explains Mike Shanahahan selling the farm for RG3.



Had Walrus drafted RG3 would he have junked the WCO? We're not talking about elite guys going high in the first, we're talking about guys who were born to run the spread being overlooked by the majority of teams. Thus it is easier to find your "QB of the future".

If you are willing to go outside the norm.


If a guy cannot run ANY NFL offense that you put him in, then he will not be a good NFL QB. You can design an offense to emphasize his skills, but he still has to have a certain requisite ability to read defenses and make NFL passes.

And I think it's bullshit to say that a "majority of teams" are overlooking QB's that have those requisite abilities. The top of the 2nd round isn't "overlooking". Hell, neither is the 3rd round for a QB Wilson's size.

You aren't getting a 1st round quality guy in the 5th round because he's a spread guy. You're getting a 4th round talent in the 5th b/c he's a spread guy. Guys that can only run the spread are/have been/will be fucking useless.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Dixon doesn't tear his knee in half he wins the heisman that year and in a 2014 world is a top two round prospect.

But your point holds in that you don't have to trade 55 first round picks and draft The Guy at #2 overall.


Yep. I'm not naive enough to say that all the "mobile" QB's got fair shots, but it's also not like Steve McNair was a 5th round pick. It's more common now, but I don't think there was ever a time that teams shunned good passers because they could run.

(Enter Warren Moon to set me straight... even though he couldn't really run.)



Hiko - The NFl was institutionally racist about the QB position until the mid 80's. Shaq snuck in and Doug was such a stud they forced hand but they were pioneers.

Then it was pretty much a situation where if you were white they'd overlook certain physical limitations becasue you were a "winner' or you had "it" or some other bull crap that explains the Colt McCoy's of the world. If your skills could translate into a pro style ioffense I think racism finally petered out after Mcnair started and you saw Mcnabb, Akili, Ware, Vick, etc at the turn of the century.

But you still had to straighten your hair, so to speak, and play the drop back style. Don't bring that speed jungle ball to Sunday.

Now what you are seeing if ur paying attention is the NFL arriving where pro basketball did, oh, in about 1975. fast break baby. Showtime. let 'er rip.

The game is now TILTING to the types of skills the more athletic and more often Black QB brings to the table. there will come a day sooner than you think where if you can't run you can't play. I don't mean 4.3 run, but yeah, AAron Rogers run.

So hell yes there was a time when there was bias against the better running QB's if they cound't, in the eyes of scouts, play drop back QB and have the strengths of your game negated. then there came neutrality, but running was only something you did as a last resort.

Now you are going to see running as a must.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Dixon doesn't tear his knee in half he wins the heisman that year and in a 2014 world is a top two round prospect.

But your point holds in that you don't have to trade 55 first round picks and draft The Guy at #2 overall.


Yep. I'm not naive enough to say that all the "mobile" QB's got fair shots, but it's also not like Steve McNair was a 5th round pick. It's more common now, but I don't think there was ever a time that teams shunned good passers because they could run.

(Enter Warren Moon to set me straight... even though he couldn't really run.)


No doubt, but McNair, Culpepper, and McNabb all would have been better in a read option based system and were forced to play in pure pocket based systems that didn't maximize their skill sets.



Side hijack - Coundlt see Culpepper in teh spread. Once he got started he was fast, but he was no sort of quick. Drop back passer if I ever saw one. Yeah, at UCF not post knee implosion.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:hiko the point is that if Dennis Dixon (pre knee-shredded variety) comes out in 2014 he gets a legit shot in the NFL. He doesn't get to sit and rot behind Big Ben in Pitt and then end up out of the league.

Plenty of Dennis Dixon types have been ignored by teh No Fun League and now they won't be.


Not sure I buy that, if you can play, most teams will find a way to use you. Dixon maybe got drafted by the wrong team, or maybe he just didn't have the passing skills.

Why do we give a shit about the Dennis Dixons of the world again?


Because you can draft them in the 5th round?

If you have the foresight and balls to run "a college offense" in the NFL.

Which the Browns do not and Norv will not/cannot so yeah, I guess we really don't care.


Well then you people should stop making such a big deal about them so we can keep drafting them in the 5th. Then run a college offense that won't work because if the guy had any passing ability he would've been drafted in the 1st or 2nd.

It's sneaky genius! And no one in the NFL except Chip Kelly is smart enough to see it!


Why weren't Wilson and Kaepernick drafted higher then? Both can throw, obviously.


Wilson was 5'2 and 25. And wasn't he in the draft where a team sacrificed 3 drafts to get RG3?

Kap was raw and from Nevada. He was still drafted high in the 2nd based purely on potential.

EJ Manuel got drafted in the 1st for the same reason, and he's not even the prospect that Kap was.



kap was said to be inaccuarte in scouting reports I thought. the treatof his run makes receivers get less attention. It's obvious.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I simply refuse to believe that running QBs ACLs are more exposed than in the pocket QBs.

What I believe happened with RGIII is that his coach is a dumbass and they trotted him out there on a banged up knee and got it exploded. Not sure how that happening has any relevance.



RG3 got hurt initially becasue he didn't slide. He went for the extra yards and dove.

If they slide they are fine.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:39 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:The correct answer is "because only 2 (college, ahem) coaches saw their potential as a dual threat QB in the right offense"


Ha! Good one.

That totally explains Mike Shanahahan selling the farm for RG3.



Had Walrus drafted RG3 would he have junked the WCO? We're not talking about elite guys going high in the first, we're talking about guys who were born to run the spread being overlooked by the majority of teams. Thus it is easier to find your "QB of the future".

If you are willing to go outside the norm.


That's the crux of this whole now dead thread.

He's not.

Spread is here.

Reflect, yo?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Culpepper was quick enough to keep backside DE's and LBs at home and open up the zone.

I'm sure no one watched the video I posted that is like 2min long, but Chip actually says to Urban the QB is "blocking the backside".

As I've been trying to demonstrate, if a QB is a large enough running threat he'll only carry the ball a couple of times and the offense will have to try and deal with the zone/cutback blocking and the RB.

Oregon's offense has never been one where the QB gets a million carries. Hell Urban's only done that because he had Tebow and now Brax force his hand. Urban spent all of last year bitching about the number of QB runs he had to employ.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 pm

<---- Watched it twice.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:45 pm

jb wrote:That's the crux of this whole now dead thread.

He's not.

Spread is here.

Reflect, yo?


pssshaw

this thread played out exactly as you intended. except for with some additional FUDU droppings because he follows you around with those puppy dog eyes.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Hell, if Vick was put in a system where he had four reads and his runs were designed maybe we're talking about his career differently....



What if VY had been put n a spread from day one....
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
jb wrote:That's the crux of this whole now dead thread.

He's not.

Spread is here.

Reflect, yo?


pssshaw

this thread played out exactly as you intended. except for with some additional FUDU droppings because he follows you around with those puppy dog eyes.



No. No way.

I thought peeker would be the one protesting in the Hiko-Amish role.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:00 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Hell, if Vick was put in a system where he had four reads and his runs were designed maybe we're talking about his career differently....



What if VY had been put n a spread from day one....


Or Randall...

(Yep, yep, and yep)
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:04 pm

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:05 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Hell, if Vick was put in a system where he had four reads and his runs were designed maybe we're talking about his career differently....



What if VY had been put n a spread from day one....


Or Randall...

(Yep, yep, and yep)


Or JaMarcus Russel!

Also, JB bringing up your life long dream of seeing VY run a spread in the pros proves he's trolling. No way anyone would be that nice to you.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Hikohadon wrote:No need to have the Aaron Rodgers and Tom Bradys of the world risk themselves to present the "threat" of the run when the "threat" of their pass is more than enough.


11 vs. 11 or 10 vs. 11 on half of your offensive plays. This is not a difficult choice, no matter how good a team might be at 10 on 11. And your 10 on 11 might be "more than enough" in a league of nothing but 10 vs. 11, but likely not in a league full of 11 vs. 11s.

Detach yourself from your distaste for the college game, and it's not that hard to see.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:10 pm

jb wrote:I thought peeker would be the one protesting in the Hiko-Amish role.


Peeker wanted to draft Kaep more than anyone ever in the history of the world. He's actually open minded about this concept.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:15 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Also, JB bringing up your life long dream of seeing VY run a spread in the pros proves he's trolling. No way anyone would be that nice to you.


I was generous enough to yep your dogkiller along with my beloved Randall & Vince.

Consider Vick un-yepped.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:19 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:No need to have the Aaron Rodgers and Tom Bradys of the world risk themselves to present the "threat" of the run when the "threat" of their pass is more than enough.


11 vs. 11 or 10 vs. 11 on half of your offensive plays. This is not a difficult choice, no matter how good a team might be at 10 on 11. And your 10 on 11 might be "more than enough" in a league of nothing but 10 vs. 11, but likely not in a league full of 11 vs. 11s.

Detach yourself from your distaste for the college game, and it's not that hard to see.


That's right, the QB drops back, and 11 defenders guard 10 players. There isn't anyone "on" that QB. If only he could run!

I cannot remove my distaste for the spread offense, so I will admit that I'm not a good person to have this argument with since it comes down to personal aesthetics - I find the offense to be unpleasant to watch.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:20 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Dixon doesn't tear his knee in half he wins the heisman that year and in a 2014 world is a top two round prospect.

But your point holds in that you don't have to trade 55 first round picks and draft The Guy at #2 overall.


Yep. I'm not naive enough to say that all the "mobile" QB's got fair shots, but it's also not like Steve McNair was a 5th round pick. It's more common now, but I don't think there was ever a time that teams shunned good passers because they could run.

(Enter Warren Moon to set me straight... even though he couldn't really run.)



Hiko - The NFl was institutionally racist about the QB position until the mid 80's. Shaq snuck in and Doug was such a stud they forced hand but they were pioneers.

Then it was pretty much a situation where if you were white they'd overlook certain physical limitations becasue you were a "winner' or you had "it" or some other bull crap that explains the Colt McCoy's of the world. If your skills could translate into a pro style ioffense I think racism finally petered out after Mcnair started and you saw Mcnabb, Akili, Ware, Vick, etc at the turn of the century.

But you still had to straighten your hair, so to speak, and play the drop back style. Don't bring that speed jungle ball to Sunday.

Now what you are seeing if ur paying attention is the NFL arriving where pro basketball did, oh, in about 1975. fast break baby. Showtime. let 'er rip.

The game is now TILTING to the types of skills the more athletic and more often Black QB brings to the table. there will come a day sooner than you think where if you can't run you can't play. I don't mean 4.3 run, but yeah, AAron Rogers run.

So hell yes there was a time when there was bias against the better running QB's if they cound't, in the eyes of scouts, play drop back QB and have the strengths of your game negated. then there came neutrality, but running was only something you did as a last resort.

Now you are going to see running as a must.


Remind me to read this again when I'm ready for bed tonight.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Jungle ball?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Hikohadon wrote:That's right, the QB drops back, and 11 defenders guard 10 players. There isn't anyone "on" that QB. If only he could run!

I cannot remove my distaste for the spread offense, so I will admit that I'm not a good person to have this argument with since it comes down to personal aesthetics - I find the offense to be unpleasant to watch.


I was talking about running plays.

And it doesn't come down to personal aesthetics; it comes down to basic math.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:No need to have the Aaron Rodgers and Tom Bradys of the world risk themselves to present the "threat" of the run when the "threat" of their pass is more than enough.


11 vs. 11 or 10 vs. 11 on half of your offensive plays. This is not a difficult choice, no matter how good a team might be at 10 on 11. And your 10 on 11 might be "more than enough" in a league of nothing but 10 vs. 11, but likely not in a league full of 11 vs. 11s.

Detach yourself from your distaste for the college game, and it's not that hard to see.


That's right, the QB drops back, and 11 defenders guard 10 players. There isn't anyone "on" that QB. If only he could run!

I cannot remove my distaste for the spread offense, so I will admit that I'm not a good person to have this argument with since it comes down to personal aesthetics - I find the offense to be unpleasant to watch.


Image
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:26 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
jb wrote:I thought peeker would be the one protesting in the Hiko-Amish role.


Peeker wanted to draft Kaep more than anyone ever in the history of the world. He's actually open minded about this concept.


As did I, if you recall.

I wanted RG3 too.

LOVE the QB's that can "do it all".

Don't necessarily love the Chip Kelly spread offense.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Your internal conflicts aren't our problem hiko....
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:56 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:That's right, the QB drops back, and 11 defenders guard 10 players. There isn't anyone "on" that QB. If only he could run!

I cannot remove my distaste for the spread offense, so I will admit that I'm not a good person to have this argument with since it comes down to personal aesthetics - I find the offense to be unpleasant to watch.


I was talking about running plays.

And it doesn't come down to personal aesthetics; it comes down to basic math.


You don't have to run a spread to run a no-huddle.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:57 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Your internal conflicts aren't our problem hiko....


You don't have to run a spread to take advantage of a mobile QB.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Your internal conflicts aren't our problem hiko....



C'mon Hiko.

That's funnny I don care who yare.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:59 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Your internal conflicts aren't our problem hiko....



C'mon Hiko.

That's funnny I don care who yare.


I wasn't pissed.

If I had a dime for everyone that told me that...
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Jungle ball?



That's right.

I went there.

Of COURSE there's been a history of NFL bias against running QB's that could also pass.

Reading it after your third Ambien (TM) changes nothing.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:That's right, the QB drops back, and 11 defenders guard 10 players. There isn't anyone "on" that QB. If only he could run!

I cannot remove my distaste for the spread offense, so I will admit that I'm not a good person to have this argument with since it comes down to personal aesthetics - I find the offense to be unpleasant to watch.


I was talking about running plays.

And it doesn't come down to personal aesthetics; it comes down to basic math.


You don't have to run a spread to run a no-huddle.


And you don't have to run a no huddle to run the spread.

See what I did there?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Your internal conflicts aren't our problem hiko....



C'mon Hiko.

That's funnny I don care who yare.


I wasn't pissed.

If I had a dime for everyone that told me that...


Everyone or everytime our ex-wives. ;-)
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Amish version of the spread offense

Image
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Amish version of the spread offense

Image



Nuh uh. It's electric.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:08 pm

That's because the Mennonites outnumber the amish in NEO, especially around where Hiko lives. JB's just confused
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Leave the Amish out of this. They never did nothing to nobody.

It's not their fault watching the Browns is like puking on a pile of shit.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Leave the Amish out of this. They never did nothing to nobody.

It's not their fault watching the Browns is like puking on a pile of shit.


Hiko:

Lives a very God centered life;
Dresses in blue sometimes.
Talks funny.
Likes cheese.

Yeah, he's Amish.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Leave the Amish out of this. They never did nothing to nobody.

It's not their fault watching the Browns is like puking on a pile of shit.


Where I grew up my parents owned the lot next to our house. In the mid 90s they built a new house on that lot and moved into it. That house was framed by amish. There were 2 older 35-40ish guys and one teenage gofer.

I happened to glance out the window once while they were working. One of the older guys went up to the teenager and was telling him something while the other guy snuck up behind and put a broom handle between the teenagers legs. The guy talking to the teenager grabber the handle and the two guys proceeded to bounce that poor kid on his nutsack 5-6 times.

They were laughing their asses off while the poor kid was doubled over in pain. So that's what they do for a good time, or something.

And that's why Hiko is right.

Also, they apparently had a fax machine, but they had to keep it in the barn. Or so I was told.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:05 pm

jb wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Leave the Amish out of this. They never did nothing to nobody.

It's not their fault watching the Browns is like puking on a pile of shit.


Hiko:

Lives a very God centered life;
Dresses in blue sometimes.
Talks funny.
Likes cheese.

Yeah, he's Amish.


Well, I do like cheese.

And we Amish have our moments of fun:

Image
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If Russell WIlson were three inches taller he'd have been considered the exact same prospect as horse-face.

Seriously? Did anyone watch Horse Face play last year? Pick every 1.1 attempts. When he stops doing that you can all talk about how awesome he is.



How do you get a pick for every 1.1 attempts? 627 attempts / 18 picks = 34.1 attempts per pick. 18/627 gives a pick% of 2.8% which isn't unreasonable, especially for a rookie #1 overall pick; Eli Manning's career INT% is 3.3%.


And this stuff about Wilson being a better winner is funny. Luck has played 17 games and already has 8 fourth quarter comeback victories. Wilson has a stud defense to prop him up, Sunday being case in point.

Luck > Wilson all day and twice on Sunday's.
Fuck the Browns...
User avatar
rebelwithoutaclue
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Under them Skies of Blue
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hikohadon and 5 guests

Who is online

In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: Hikohadon and 5 guests