Text Size

The Back Of The Net

USMNT in Pissed Off Costa Rica 9/6

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

USMNT in Pissed Off Costa Rica 9/6

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:45 am

I'm not the biggest soccer fan here by any stretch, but it's gotten progressively more and more interesting following this team. I can't remember the last time I anticipated a USMNT game instead of just stumbling upon one currently in progress. I'm looking forward to the game tonight.

Costa Rica is pissed...PISSED...about the US turning on the snow machine and controlling the weather in order to unfairly and underhandedly steal a game that the Costa Ricans obviously deserved to win. They are exacting their revenge like a bunch of 6th graders by not extending the usual courtesies like, you know, game balls and a place to practice, to the USMNT team ahead of their match tonight. They even egged their bus.

Good times all around and makes me excited to watch the match.

Seriously, I don't understand WTF they are complaining about. Looks fine to me.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: USMNT in Pissed Off Costa Rica 9/6

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am

I don't seek out a lot of soccer news, but I read most of what Greg Howard writes over on Deadspin. I might be wrong, but the dude seems to know his shit.

Here's an interesting piece about how, one year removed from a mutiny, Klinsmann has reshaped the team into a seriously good side.

http://deadspin.com/jurgen-klinsmann-came-from-the-future-to-save-american-1258119335
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:42 am

motherscratcher wrote:I don't seek out a lot of soccer news, but I read most of what Greg Howard writes over on Deadspin. I might be wrong, but the dude seems to know his shit.

Here's an interesting piece about how, one year removed from a mutiny, Klinsmann has reshaped the team into a seriously good side.

http://deadspin.com/jurgen-klinsmann-came-from-the-future-to-save-american-1258119335

The Costa Ricans were begging right along with the US for that game not to be delayed, much less stopped for good that night. Right up until FT.

Their federation can say what they will about it now but that's how it was. I don't miss those games. I'm not allowed to ;-)

And people hate and are fearful of change. Klinsmann was change.

Anyone ever see, "Who Moved My Cheese"?

You can complain about change or come to the understanding that it happens every fucking day and learn how to deal with it.

ETA- As to the US side, it all comes down Altidore IMO. If he's the guy that's played the played the last year the US is a legit, tough out with Altidore/Dempsey/Donovan up toward the top and Bradley running the show in the MF.

Really shitty that Stu Holden blew out the knee again but my biggest concern with US is in the back.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Squints » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 pm

There will be an outright riot tonight in Azteca if this score holds up.

Just getting updates on the US (godddamn beIN sport) looks like two early goals and then a pk to get back into it. Hope this follows the Bosnia game, but I don't like this habit of going down early, certainly the defense is the weak spot in this line up. No Jozy today- hamstring
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 am

If you have DirecTV then get the sports package for $6 and get bein sports. Tons of soccer.

What a clusterfuck last night. Howard was poor, Cameron replaced Beasley who badly turned an ankle and Cameron was shit. J Jones turned the ball over like he was Weeden, Altidore came on late and got a yellow 2 1/2 minutes into the 3 minutes of stoppage time while trailing 3-1 ad is now out for the Mexico game (along with Beasler & Cameron while Bradley's ankle is dead).

Worst possible scenario possible last night short of Dempsey & Donovan being murdered by tranny whores after the match.

They played like shit and were down 2-0 after 10', pulled one back before half when Dempsey scored on a lucky PK that Navas actually stopped and then they got beat on a breakaway where Hoard couldn't make the only play of the night he HAD to make.

Terrible match.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:02 am

We are TWC people here, so no beIn.

Only received updates and read reports it did sound pretty bad. But, if there is a game that was FUBAR, everything pointed to this one from an un-fit Jozy to Bradley being a game time scratch to playing in front of a bunch of barbarians.

Get it out of the system, get healthy and back to the heart of it all on Tuesday because I have never seen the Mexican team this fa-zucked since I have been following international soccer. I'm surprised I didn't see Mexico City burning when I flipped on CNN this morning.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Squints wrote:We are TWC people here, so no beIn.

Only received updates and read reports it did sound pretty bad. But, if there is a game that was FUBAR, everything pointed to this one from an un-fit Jozy to Bradley being a game time scratch to playing in front of a bunch of barbarians.

Get it out of the system, get healthy and back to the heart of it all on Tuesday because I have never seen the Mexican team this fa-zucked since I have been following international soccer. I'm surprised I didn't see Mexico City burning when I flipped on CNN this morning.

That was great flipping over to stoppage time of Mexico game last night. And you're right: those people were enraged and still are today. I can't believe Chepo will be the coach Tuesday night after that.

Just gonna be tough either way against a desperate Mexico and likely without Bradley, much less without Altidore and Besler.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:14 pm

To wit... J Jones was brutally, God-awful...and that kind of possession/giveaways is how you find yourself down 2-0 with 10' gone.

Ben Jata ‏@Ben_Jata 9m
Jermaine Jones lost possession 22 times vs Costa Rica (Most by #USMNT). 17 (77%) of them came before the 36th minute. http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/modu ... E1ODM0OA==

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04 am

We're in!!! This team just plays different at home. Fantastic crowd, good job C-bus, but it really isn't hard to be in this one. Good d today, Howard beautiful in goal, Donovan is looking like he is back no Bradley no Jozy and still impressive. Little worried about Clint, not exactly sure, but I don't like his body language since is transfer to MLS. Mexico is a freaking mess, may not make the cup.

FWIW Italy and Netherlands officially clinched today as well in UEFA.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 am

That was enjoyable.

After US survived the emotion you new Mexico would come out with and Howard made three big saves, the US got clinical. EJ with excellent play in the air on the header to open scoring and pretty much deflate MEX and then Diskeruud with an excellent move and cross for the clincher.

Actually liked Dempsey's PK miss at end of stoppage time. Sure he did it on purpose to preserve dos a cero ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:00 pm

I was there and the place was rockin! Tim howard is an absolute beast and Goodson seemed to get his head on everything!
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Return to The Back Of The Net