Text Size

College Sports Arena

So what is the top job in CFB?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

So what is the top job in CFB?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:34 am

OSU and PSU have hired new coaches in the last couple of years. scUM and ND not long before that. Tejas and USC are getting new coaches this year....

Good ole Bo can't have too long left at Nebraska and all of the sudden we're running out of blue-bloods with stable coaches.

Is Tejas the best job in the country? Does a Saban run there? How do you rank the blue-bloods?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: So what is the top job in CFB?

Unread postby jb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 am

Legacy + $ = top job.

Gotta give Bevo the slight nod over Brutus.

Mack has to be done. Saban is too old to make the move.

IDK who the ideal 40 50 something in waiting. Muschump sure didn't help cause.

Can Miles fake his way there?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:06 am

The prevailing wisdom has been that the Texas job is Muschamp's for the taking when Mack left, but that sure doesn't feel like a no-brainer anymore.

Sumlin is the new sexy pick for any elite job. Who knows...maybe he has made A&M an elite job.

Off topic...sort of...Phil Steele's surprise Top Ten picks this year were Texas, USC and Florida State. So much for the first two after yesterday. I saw a tweet last night to the effect of : "Phil Steele...you can throw your magazine into the fire now"

Kiffin's clusterfuck is the ultimate schadenfreude situation for me. (Wish we had a word for that in English)
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: So what is the top job in CFB?I

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:13 am

I love this topic, but you have to define the criteria for what makes a job a "great" job before you can rank them. Here is my criteria in order of importance:

1. Recruiting hotbed: Function of the level of talent there and the exclusivity that the program enjoys on that talent. For example, OH would get good marks here because it does have some pretty good talent, not the best in the country, but it fairly exclusively for Ohio State when compared to a state like FL that has a ton of talent, but no real in state loyalty. The reason this is important is because it is the basis for even a National recruiting team.

2. Staff budget: How much money will the school give you to spend on your staff? This is the Wisconsin clause. As scUM is demonstrating, having good assistance can make even a boob look pretty good.

3. AD Budget/Booster spending: Not Booster spending in the SEC sense, but will the Boosters give back to the AD in a big way. THis is more about spending on the facilities then staff.

4. Exposure: Lots goes in here; conference affiliation, time zone (sorry west coasters), ESPN talking head time.

5. Location: Urban vice Rural? Southern/Coastal vs. Midwest? Warm vs. Cold Weather? etc.

6. NFL Tradition: Does the program get guys to the league?

I have to think about it some more but off the top of my head, the list looks something like this:

1. USC
2. Texas
3. 'Bama
4. Ohio State
5. ND
6. Oregon
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:16 am

Not sure that Texas is really that big of an upward move from LSU to make it worth the move.

I would be looking at a talented young guy from a mid-tier to upper-mid tier BCS program to make the move. Not saying it would be Mike Gundy, but he is a guy that would make sense. The coaches from TCU and BSU make sense too, but both have shown a reluctance to take big jobs in the past.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Art Briles? Really?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Who said Art Briles?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:28 pm

I was sincerely asking. He makes the "easiest" sense.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't think he would be a bad choice. He has done some really nice things at Baylor, a traditional doormat in the B12.

Patterson at TCU makes sense too. I think those are the kind of hires that we will see, someone a little off the RADAR from a mid-tier BCS school.

Delusional Texas fans think they will get Meyer or Saban, but I don't think either would go because the UT job, while probably better than OSU or 'Bama, is not so much better that it would be worth the transition. I keep hearing people say Saban, but I cannot think of a possible reason he would leave that machine that he has down there to go fix UT. Any offer that Texas makes to Saban will certainly be matched, so money would not get it done and the guy could actually run for governor of the state.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:02 pm

To not only be the first coach to win titles at two schools, but three?

It would be the ultimate ego move for Saban.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:08 pm

I think the ultimate ego move for Saban is to pile up championships at 'bama and join the Pantheon of great NCAA coaches. He really is not that far away (or may already be) one of the all time greats. The only thing he is missing is an identity, and that identity becomes the most powerful when it is with a school like Paterno (pre pedaphile), Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, etc. Too much moving makes you a whore.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:19 pm

I was impressed with what O'Brien did at PSU last year. I wonder if he can somehow find a way to get another 8 wins out of that team again this year if he wouldn't be considered for one of those jobs at USC or Texas? 8 wins with that roster and a tough B1G schedule would be a huge accomplishment.

Normally you would think it would take someone with more of a track record to land one of those 2 jobs but there don't seem to be a lot of proven guys like that out there that are in a position to move.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:37 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:I was impressed with what O'Brien did at PSU last year. I wonder if he can somehow find a way to get another 8 wins out of that team again this year if he wouldn't be considered for one of those jobs at USC or Texas? 8 wins with that roster and a tough B1G schedule would be a huge accomplishment.

Normally you would think it would take someone with more of a track record to land one of those 2 jobs but there don't seem to be a lot of proven guys like that out there that are in a position to move.

I agree, he seems to be doing a pretty good job there. Those sanctions are going to go nuclear over the next year or two. THat is really when they are going to hit the roster/depth.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:41 pm

The top job is the one that pays the most.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The top job is the one that pays the most.

Your profoundness is profound.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Any chance Texas would look at Charlie Strong? Might be a good time for him to leave Louisville since Bridgewater will most likely be heading to the league.

Also, if Texas ends up with Muschamp (which would be a questionable move imo), I could definitely see Charlie Strong heading back to UF.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:55 pm

If anyone hires Muschamp they are even dumber than the dolt in Kansas that hired Fat Charlie.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:Any chance Texas would look at Charlie Strong? Might be a good time for him to leave Louisville since Bridgewater will most likely be heading to the league.

Also, if Texas ends up with Muschamp (which would be a questionable move imo), I could definitely see Charlie Strong heading back to UF.

Charlie Strong would be an EXCELLENT hire for UT, actually he would probably be at the top of their list. I would laugh my ass off if UT hired Muschump for 2 reasons:

1. He sucks
2. It would again show UF that they are not "elite" job regardless of what they think. I think part of the problem with UF is that they are competing in state with FSU and UM for the best recruits in addition to the entire SEC, OSU, USC and a couple of others. Tough sledding there.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:Any chance Texas would look at Charlie Strong? Might be a good time for him to leave Louisville since Bridgewater will most likely be heading to the league.

Charlie Strong would be an EXCELLENT hire for UT, actually he would probably be at the top of their list. I would laugh my ass off if UT hired Muschump for 2 reasons:

1. He sucks
2. It would again show UF that they are not "elite" job regardless of what they think. I think part of the problem with UF is that they are competing in state with FSU and UM for the best recruits in addition to the entire SEC, OSU, USC and a couple of others. Tough sledding there.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:08 pm

furls wrote:As scUM is demonstrating, having good assistance can make even a boob look pretty good.

I know our allegiances are polar opposites but if that's your opinion of Hoke, you're not paying attention. I don't like Meyer but anyone who doesn't think he's a top 5 coach is kidding themselves. I can't properly describe what a greasefire Hoke inherited, and it stretched well beyond the football field. OSU fans know as well as anyone how important it is to have the alumni/former players/donors/etc in lockstep and ours couldn't have been more bitter and fractured when he took over. And the coordinators do deserve a ton of credit, but Hoke lets them do their thing and that helped bring them to Michigan in the first place. They each could have been paid big money in a lot of places. We're still a little behind OSU and the other national powers for now, but for him to do what he's done in this short of a time period and deliver Top 5 recruiting classes is a big deal. Honestly, he reminds me of Tressel as a no-name 3rd choice type who became the perfect fit.

And as to what constitutes an "elite job," that's an increasingly fluid concept in college football right now. I'm the biggest Michigan fan you'll ever meet and it really wasn't a Top 5-10 job anymore when Hoke took over. Pat Fitzgerald turned us down, as did Greg Schiano after Carr left and they ran a terrible search. You only have a small handful of schools like OSU, Texas, LSU, etc. that have an excellent talent base as a captive audience and it's near impossible to screw that up over a long period of time. Beyond that, for schools that have to fight a lot of others in their traditional recruiting hotbeds, things can go south in a hurry. Look at Miami and Florida State's problems the last 10 or so years. Even a USC can start to lose it. Same goes in basketball. Whoever thought UCLA basketball would have to settle for like their 4th choice this offseason?
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:
furls wrote:As scUM is demonstrating, having good assistance can make even a boob look pretty good.

I know our allegiances are polar opposites but if that's your opinion of Hoke, you're not paying attention. I don't like Meyer but anyone who doesn't think he's a top 5 coach is kidding themselves. I can't properly describe what a greasefire Hoke inherited, and it stretched well beyond the football field. OSU fans know as well as anyone how important it is to have the alumni/former players/donors/etc in lockstep and ours couldn't have been more bitter and fractured when he took over. And the coordinators do deserve a ton of credit, but Hoke lets them do their thing and that helped bring them to Michigan in the first place. They each could have been paid big money in a lot of places. We're still a little behind OSU and the other national powers for now, but for him to do what he's done in this short of a time period and deliver Top 5 recruiting classes is a big deal. Honestly, he reminds me of Tressel as a no-name 3rd choice type who became the perfect fit.

And as to what constitutes an "elite job," that's an increasingly fluid concept in college football right now. I'm the biggest Michigan fan you'll ever meet and it really wasn't a Top 5-10 job anymore when Hoke took over. Pat Fitzgerald turned us down, as did Greg Schiano after Carr left and they ran a terrible search. You only have a small handful of schools like OSU, Texas, LSU, etc. that have an excellent talent base as a captive audience and it's near impossible to screw that up over a long period of time. Beyond that, for schools that have to fight a lot of others in their traditional recruiting hotbeds, things can go south in a hurry. Look at Miami and Florida State's problems the last 10 or so years. Even a USC can start to lose it. Same goes in basketball. Whoever thought UCLA basketball would have to settle for like their 4th choice this offseason?

Always nice to get another informed perspective, although we are on opposite sides of The Game I can still respect your take. Here are my responses to some of your points:

Hoke being a boob: He is not a "boob" in the Les Miles sense. He is really more of a goober, but I think that is just a technical distinction. I like the fact that he respects the rivalry and is a real scUM fan first, that really matters. That is one of the reasons I like Meyer, he is an Ohio State guy, for that reason I would rather have Meyer than Saban although Saban may be the better coach. He is doing a good job of recruiting there, I don't know how his time there will turn out, but he is bringing in some talent. If I were a scUM fan I would be a little worried about his track record at Ball St. and SDSU as a career .500 coach. That said, he seems to know what he does well and brings in guys that do the other things well. That is why I stress the importance of the assistants. He was also the right guy for bringing the Alumni that Dick Rod alienated back. I predicted Dick Rod would last 3 years at scUM on these boards for exactly the reasons he did: 1. He is a hillbilly and alums don't like those. 2. He didn't understand scUM and the program. 3. He was a big fish in a little pond at WVU and his tactics/techniques and players were not likely to work well.

You takes on the jobs are well spoken and I concur. That is the only real reason I could state for why tOSU is a better job than scUM. Michigan HS football is not great, MSU is up a little increasing in state competition, and ND is up which makes for tougher sledding in traditional scUM hotbeds like Chicago/Illinois and Indiana. Meyer at OSU actually helps scUM from a recruiting standpoint to some extent. If Tressel were still in OH, I doubt Dymonte Thomas, Kalis, Derrick Green or Deveon Smith end up in Blue.

Hoke is doing a good job, I would be a bit concerned for him as a scUM fan if he doesn't win against OSU this year as I don't think he will win in Columbus in 2014 (as OSU is really built more for 2014). I think his recruiting will buy him through 2015, but that could be a pivotal year for his future.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 am

the only thing wrong with Brady Hoke is he missed coaching in the ear of those nut huggin lace front Bike coaching shorts.

Imagine the horror....
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Brady Hoke struggles to get through five minute interviews without sounding like a fat useless sack of shit, lets be honest. The guy comes across as having an IQ south of motherscratcher.

His entire recruiting success is built of his "awwwk schucks we're a nice family!" crap that recruits are somehow buying. Kids like Peppers and Hand just straight didn't like Urban's hyper competitive everything and wanted to play for a guy that wasn't overly demanding, was focused on "awww schucks, lets have a BBQ as our major summer recruiting event!" and generally lets kids like Derrick Green show up to fall camp fat as hell because.... "aww schucks, who needs a demanding competitive team!".

Not to mention his OC sucks donkey dick.

UM is a top job, no arguing that, but Hoke is a joke. He does remind me of Tress in that sense, because as Tress' assistants went to shit so did his grasp on the program.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:32 pm

danwismar wrote:Off topic...sort of...Phil Steele's surprise Top Ten picks this year were Texas, USC and Florida State. So much for the first two after yesterday. I saw a tweet last night to the effect of : "Phil Steele...you can throw your magazine into the fire now"

I really like Steele's magazine but that prediction was honestly just asking to look like an ass from the jump. Pretty sure I posted as much here when the mag came out too.

Not to mention that FSU wasn't even a prediction. Everyone and their mother knew Jameis was going to be the real deal and the FSU would be a typical FSU team. Look like a national title contender for all but the two weeks they decide to choke away winnable games.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 pm

furls wrote:
YahooFanChicago wrote:I was impressed with what O'Brien did at PSU last year. I wonder if he can somehow find a way to get another 8 wins out of that team again this year if he wouldn't be considered for one of those jobs at USC or Texas? 8 wins with that roster and a tough B1G schedule would be a huge accomplishment.

I agree, he seems to be doing a pretty good job there. Those sanctions are going to go nuclear over the next year or two. THat is really when they are going to hit the roster/depth.

He's well past the worst of the sanctions. O'Brien's recruiting strategy now is pure brilliance, he's selling that with only 15 schollies a year kids will have to play early and will get more NFL looks than anywhere else. As proof he's playing what looks like the best freshman QB teh B1G has seen since the 90s.

O'Brien is, hands down, my favorite coach in the B1G. Even more so than Urban, because saving that mess at PSU is the biggest coaching achievement I can recall. Even if he never turns into a title caliber coach, he literally saved a blue blood that everyone in this forum and everywhere else already laid to rest and had the funeral for.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:29 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
furls wrote:

He's well past the worst of the sanctions. O'Brien's recruiting strategy now is pure brilliance, he's selling that with only 15 schollies a year kids will have to play early and will get more NFL looks than anywhere else. As proof he's playing what looks like the best freshman QB teh B1G has seen since the 90s.

O'Brien is, hands down, my favorite coach in the B1G. Even more so than Urban, because saving that mess at PSU is the biggest coaching achievement I can recall. Even if he never turns into a title caliber coach, he literally saved a blue blood that everyone in this forum and everywhere else already laid to rest and had the funeral for.

No way, the sanctions are just now starting to affect the team and will moreso over the next couple of years. If you are limited to 15 players per year, he will have no more than 60 on the roster at the end of the sanctions, compared to everyone elses 85. That is crushing, particularly because 1/3 recruits are just flat out busts, particularly in the shallow end of the pool (where he is currently recruiting). There is not a single kid in the 2014 class that I would trade for one of ours. He may be selling early PT to these kids, but the 4* and 5* recruits really aren't buying.

O'Brien is a hell of a coach with a proven NFL track record, that and Hackenburg's love for PSU are what got him in that class. O'Brien was as lucky as he was good there, that both Hackenburg and Breneman were big PSU guys.

Things are just going to get tougher for PSU as these classes, limited to 15 3* recruits per year represent the entire team and PSU. Having an NFL caliber QB is probably the only thing that will make them bowl eligible when the ban ends.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
furls wrote:

No way, the sanctions are just now starting to affect the team and will moreso over the next couple of years. If you are limited to 15 players per year, he will have no more than 60 on the roster at the end of the sanctions, compared to everyone elses 85. That is crushing, particularly because 1/3 recruits are just flat out busts, particularly in the shallow end of the pool (where he is currently recruiting). There is not a single kid in the 2014 class that I would trade for one of ours.

O'Brien is a hell of a coach with a proven NFL track record, that and Hackenburg's love for PSU are what got him in that class. O'Brien was as lucky as he was good there, that both Hackenburg and Breneman were big PSU guys.

Things are just going to get tougher for PSU as these classes, limited to 15 3* recruits per year represent the entire team and PSU. Having an NFL caliber QB is probably the only thing that will make them bowl eligible when the ban ends.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 am

If PSU beats OSU for Gesiki and Thomas Holley you're going to be eating some crow.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Well, it is possible that either or both end up at PSU, but in the end I doubt it. I think both end up at OSU. I put Gesicki at about 75% and Holley at 60%. I think Holley is more likely to end up a Domer than a Nittany Lion.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena