Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Come the Gold Rush

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:47 am

Last night is going to be seen in hindsight as a seminal game in NFL history. Like the 50 Browns Eagles opener or SB3 or such. First time 2 spread speed offenses squared off. I was watching the carrier kill the battleship, video killing the radio star, Dorias passing to Rockne, Elvis on Sullivan.

For years I wondered why the Meyer Revolution that dominated Friday & Saturday was That Which of We Could Not Speak on Sunday. I mocked Chip Kelly making the transition. I bought in and worshipped at the church of orthodoxy with a closed mind. Well no more. Saul has been hit by lightening and I'm Jake Blues diggin the Reverand Cleopus.

The spread Elwood. THE SPREAD.

3 seasons ago you could have gotten a spread QB got the price of a VCR. They were men without an NFL position. After last night and what will come that is no more. RG3 opened minds but only if obvious crossover talent was there to conventional. I think that's out the window. Competition will be fierce for the Spread QBs without bias.

So the connections to the sorry azzed sad sack franchise we love is....?

If you thought 2010 was a colossally stupid move on the part on Holmgren to waste a year with Mangina when he knew he was changing systems, you're gonna LOVE the rest of 2013. It no longer serves any purpose.

Chud can adapt. I doubt Norv Turner, the old battleship admiral, can adapt in the way we need. This also puts the final nail in Weeds coffin and more so TRich doesn't have what it takes to play spread RB. In this system you'll need two duel threat QBs and two fast straight line RBs that can catch. Watching TRich in space is the biggest trajedy since The Challenger. We'll need more WRs who can run, not these big men if they can't break 4.45. Speed, tempo, tempo, speed.

The entire offensive roster except JT, Mack, Gotdon, and Cameron needs to be replaced to adapt. We are further along on D but obviously need DBs up the wazoo.

The alternative is to dick around struggling to find a roster to fit an obsolete system that won't work unless you can draft Andrew Luck.

Change or wait on Gadot.

Blow it up Joe. Blow it up now. Blow it up as if Charlton Heston is gonna fall to his knees in rags looking at the top of the Statue of Liberty buried on a sandy beach with a totally smoking feral babe. Do it now Joe. Get what you can for your battle cruisers, kodak film and main frames.

We missed out on early adoption from lack of balls. Don't sleep until obsolescence.

The shopping list will include 2 new QBs, one in round 1 and one later. Lewis can fit the RB mode but we need another. No more bowling ball I Backs. We need 2 more fast WRs in the mold of DeShawn, guys who would have been seen as more KRs for depth behind Gordon & Cooper as a band aid. And of course guards and DBs. And we'll need a new OC so start the back channel agent semi tampering now.
The time to get these resources in now & early off season.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Come the Gold Rush

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 am

1) I didn't watch the game last night, but assuming this isn't an elaborate effort to mock me, welcome back. : )

2) It will be more amusing to see how this goes on this board than the other one. :pop:

3) The one piece of really good news for BORWNS fans who agree is that Joe Banner is supposedly a fellow spreadfan, and he's like our architect or something.

4) The one piece of really good news for BORWNS fans who disagree is that Joe Banner works for someone who might be going to jail, and a new someone would have to mean the axe for Joe, no?

5) POSSIBLE CONTENT: 2 spread QBs for insurance is a good transitional starting point, but I think eventually the line between QB & RB is blurred to the point where you have 5ish players active on gameday with different running & passing skillsets, like COP gone wild.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:23 am

6) Harbaugh's right, BTW. The NFL's approach to running QBs right now is bullshit. And you know ESPN & Co are going to have a field day pretending to lose their shit every time a star QB in the spread is injured.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:18 am

I'm not denying there are some changes going on, but don't get too caught up in it just yet. These guys aren't going to be running wild like you might think. Simple economics, nobody is gonna pay mega bucks for a QB and let him get hit by LBs that resemble drunk drivers on the inner-belt bridge coming home from the Basement.

What I do find interesting is how much more on board with this trend the NFC is than the AFC.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:29 am

FUDU wrote:I'm not denying there are some changes going on, but don't get too caught up in it just yet. These guys aren't going to be running wild like you might think. Simple economics, nobody is gonna pay mega bucks for a QB and let him get hit by LBs that resemble drunk drivers on the inner-belt bridge coming home from the Basement.

What I do find interesting is how much more on board with this trend the NFC is than the AFC.

That's the thing FUDU - they DON'T get hit.

QB's get hurt in 2 situations:

1. In the pocket when they don't see it coming;
2. When they get greedy and don't slide after the gain. See RG3's knee.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:40 am

If we just wait another 15 years were set up well for when the cycle swings back though. Win/win!!! But with losing mixed in a lot.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:58 am

Didn’t watch- was following Tribe online while doing stuff (they are going to win a Wild Card spot, btw). Knew something was happening from Frank Caliendo channeling Chucky on Twitter (he’s a funny follow, btw).

I don’t have interest in national sports stories/teams - Who the freak cares or has time for soap opera stuff involving Manziel, Tebow or Mark freaking Sanchez. Or how wonderful some non-Cleveland player or coach is. Seriously. I figure if it bleeds into stuff I need to know about as a Cleveland fan, you guys will let me know. Thanks.
This spread revolution qualifies. Some questions I have:

• Why didn’t the Greatest Show on Turf morph into this trend?
• The Kelly version with their roster works. So does the traditional offense when run by Manning/Brady/Rodgers. Would it be easier to get the personnel to run Kelly’s offense than it is to get the QBs that can get to a Super Bowl the “current” way?
• Defenses will respond, but how?
• jb, that was entertaining. Why isn’t it on the front page, in article form?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:58 am

So far, that holds true, but these guys don't slide much, these guys meaning those guys.

Your point holds true regardless, the Browns are behind the times. What I expect to see first is everybody running 75 plays a game.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:58 am

Yes, last night changed everything. The world is new.

PS - If you're a QB that crosses the line of scrimmage, then you are a RB and should be nailed as such. If you don't want your star QB's to get hit, don't have them run.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:59 am

googleeph2 wrote:Didn’t watch- was following Tribe online while doing stuff (they are going to win a Wild Card spot, btw). Knew something was happening from Frank Caliendo channeling Chucky on Twitter (he’s a funny follow, btw).

I don’t have interest in national sports stories/teams - Who the freak cares or has time for soap opera stuff involving Manziel, Tebow or Mark freaking Sanchez. Or how wonderful some non-Cleveland player or coach is. Seriously. I figure if it bleeds into stuff I need to know about as a Cleveland fan, you guys will let me know. Thanks.
This spread revolution qualifies. Some questions I have:

• The Kelly version with their roster works. So does the traditional offense when run by Manning/Brady/Rodgers. Would it be easier to get the personnel to run Kelly’s offense than it is to get the QBs that can get to a Super Bowl the “current” way?
• Defenses will respond, but how?
• jb, that was entertaining. Why isn’t it on the front page, in article form?

Peeker hates Irish-Americans
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Yes, last night changed everything. The world is new.

PS - If you're a QB that crosses the line of scrimmage, then you are a RB and should be nailed as such. If you don't want your star QB's to get hit, don't have them run.

Dont hate the playa, hate the game.

Luddite.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 pm

But it needs to be a football move!

LOL.

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 pm

jb wrote:QB's get hurt in 2 situations:

Well, that's the NFL's current argument, and my sense* is that it's wrong. I think their current ruling on running QBs is likely a combination of their not knowing how else to draw a meaningful distinction and their $$$-colored glasses that led to the QB rules in the first place.

Again, my sense is that the most common instance of serious injury occurs when a planted leg is struck by another player, and every single player on the field is vulnerable. And my sense is that blindside hits, while often violent and spectacular, were not that common of a source of serious injury. A follow-through throwing hand striking another player's helmet feels to me like the most common QB-unique injury, and the rules don't cover that.

My near certainty is that the QB rules, whether based in perception or reality, are intended to protect assets, not players, and that's what's being confused & complicated with more running QBs.

*-would love to see some solid statistical analysis on this someday to sort out the facts from popular impressions formed by sensational or otherwise noteworthy injuries; maybe something like that will be possible someday when there's a sports news network that employs journalists.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:20 pm

HoodooMan wrote:

Well, that's the NFL's current argument, and my sense* is that it's wrong. I think their current ruling on running QBs is likely a combination of their not knowing how else to draw a meaningful distinction and their $$$-colored glasses that led to the QB rules in the first place.

Again, my sense is that the most common instance of serious injury occurs when a planted leg is struck by another player, and every single player on the field is vulnerable. And my sense is that blindside hits, while often violent and spectacular, were not that common of a source of serious injury. A follow-through throwing hand striking another player's helmet feels to me like the most common QB-unique injury, and the rules don't cover that.

My near certainty is that the QB rules, whether based in perception or reality, are intended to protect assets, not players, and that's what's being confused & complicated with more running QBs.

*-would love to see some solid statistical analysis on this someday to sort out the facts from popular impressions formed by sensational or otherwise noteworthy injuries; maybe something like that will be possible someday when there's a sports news network that employs journalists.

Solid post.

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Hikohadon wrote:PS - If you're a QB that crosses the line of scrimmage, then you are a RB and should be nailed as such. If you don't want your star QB's to get hit, don't have them run.

I really don't want to derail jb's thread too much here, because I was really hoping to sit back and enjoy watching him bang heads with you & leadpipe on this, BUT...

Those aren't your 10 billion dollars/yr at stake, Hiko. You don't have to parrot their sketchy rationale.

Why not:

"If you're a QB in the pocket and the other team blitzes, then you are a sitting duck and should be nailed as such. If you don't want your star QBs to get hit, block somebody or run the ball."

$$$ <--only reason

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 pm

HoodooMan wrote:

Exactly.

That is the scope. You can either complain in vain or exploit it to advantage.

As for Hiko, he may as well bemoan the death of bump & run or the US steel industry.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:28 pm

HoodooMan wrote:

Can you add helmet crown hits?
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:31 pm

jb wrote:

Dont hate the playa, hate the game.

Luddite.

Nothing to hate. Completely overblown hyperbole-laden "development".

This super-new-and-exciting (and utterly familiar) offense that looked vastly ordinary in the 2nd half once the Washington offense woke from their slumber is so super-new-and-exciting that everyone will be running it by the weekend. All they need to make it look halfway decent is a Michael Vick, a Shady McCoy, and a Desean Jackson.

But as I said when the Browns were a-courtin' The Chipper, it would be a lot more fun if they got him since then - even though they would still suck - they would at least suck in a hilarious, entertaining way.
Hikohadon

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:33 pm

^^Oh yeah. (ETA: 2nd arrow, because of sneaky Hiko)

Again, hardly QB-specific, though.

Joey Porter gets to mock Eddie George with beddy-bye hands after spearing him in the helmet, but when the bottom of Ben's facemask is grazed, it's 15yds.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:PS - If you're a QB that crosses the line of scrimmage, then you are a RB and should be nailed as such. If you don't want your star QB's to get hit, don't have them run.

I really don't want to derail jb's thread too much here, because I was really hoping to sit back and enjoy watching him bang heads with you & leadpipe on this, BUT...

Those aren't your 10 billion dollars/yr at stake, Hiko. You don't have to parrot their sketchy rationale.

Why not:

"If you're a QB in the pocket and the other team blitzes, then you are a sitting duck and should be nailed as such. If you don't want your star QBs to get hit, block somebody or run the ball."

$$$ <--only reason

I understand the money aspect. I just feel that if you're using a QB like a RB, and these QB's are as big and strong and fast as RB's, AND you're giving them extra protection of the already bullshit QB two-hand tap rules, then you might as well just end the sport because it's already on a fast track to Suckville.

For me, of course. I'm sure a lot of people like fast break 72-68 type games.

Either QB's should be afforded massive extra protection which precludes them from running like RB's, or they should be treated as RB's once they leave the pocket.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:

Why not:

$$$ <--only reason

I understand the money aspect. I just feel that if you're using a QB like a RB, and these QB's are as big and strong and fast as RB's, AND you're giving them extra protection of the already bullshit QB two-hand tap rules, then you might as well just end the sport because it's already on a fast track to Suckville.

For me, of course. I'm sure a lot of people like fast break 72-68 type games.

Either QB's should be afforded massive extra protection which precludes them from running like RB's, or they should be treated as RB's once they leave the pocket.

It's there.

Ask Eye. He's said it for years now.
jb

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Hikohadon wrote:...AND you're giving them extra protection of the already bullshit QB two-hand tap rules, then you might as well just end the sport because it's already on a fast track to Suckville.

I agree with this 100%.

Harbaugh is completely right that the NFL's current ruling is biased and unfair, but yes, expanding QB rules to running QB situations takes something that's already absurd and elevates it to a level of insanity for which we do not currently have an appropriate adjective. So the choice is to either accept the bias of the current rules or get rid of the stupid QB rules for everyone. The r-word might be our only hope.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Nothing to hate. Completely overblown hyperbole-laden "development".

This super-new-and-exciting (and utterly familiar) offense that looked vastly ordinary in the 2nd half once the Washington offense woke from their slumber is so super-new-and-exciting that everyone will be running it by the weekend. All they need to make it look halfway decent is a Michael Vick, a Shady McCoy, and a Desean Jackson.

But as I said when the Browns were a-courtin' The Chipper, it would be a lot more fun if they got him since then - even though they would still suck - they would at least suck in a hilarious, entertaining way.

Agree. I wanted Kelly because it would have been cool to see if it works in Cleveland. Because why can't Cleveland have the shiny new thing. Not because it's the only possible way to win in the NFL.

It CAN work. Clearly. Maybe better than anything else for a little while. But that's a long stretch from being the ONLY way to win. My guess is that Brees Rogers Manning and Brady will for the most part do OK this season despite the fact that Vick et al CHANGED THE GAME!

And WR that aren't Travis Benjamin only good and RB that aren't the opposite of TR can and will still play in the NFL. More than one way to skin a cat or whtever the fuck.

Something tells me that the powers that be in Indianapolis weren't running around in a panic yesterday gnashing teeth, pulling hair and yelling "What are we going to do now?!?!"

JB = Malibu Chief of Police
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:18 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Something tells me that the powers that be in Indianapolis weren't running around in a panic yesterday gnashing teeth, pulling hair and yelling "What are we going to do now?!?!"

They had the foresight to tank the season 2 years ago.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:23 pm

jb wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Something tells me that the powers that be in Indianapolis weren't running around in a panic yesterday gnashing teeth, pulling hair and yelling "What are we going to do now?!?!"

I object. Argumentative.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:31 pm

FUDU wrote:
jb wrote:

I object. Argumentative.

they had the foresight to draft a QB with Ignatius lineage.
jb

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:33 pm

jb wrote:

And they now have a good young QB who can't run the spread option. Isn't that unworkable now? Shouldn't they panic?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:43 pm

jb wrote:
FUDU wrote:
jb wrote:

I object. Argumentative.

LOL, they contend for AFCC if PM doesn't go down. They for saw nothing. They just executed the obvious better than most franchises in the past.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:43 pm

FUDU wrote:
jb wrote:
FUDU wrote:
jb wrote:

I object. Argumentative.

LOL, they contend for AFCC if PM doesn't go down. They for saw nothing. They just executed the obvious better than most franchises in the past.

99% sure IIRC your blow up doll was cleared to play at the end of the season?
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:44 pm

It was way too late to change course at that point. mo's point stands FTR.

BTW, did we just watch the NFC game on Sept 9th Pack v 49ers, I think so.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 pm

FUDU wrote:It was way too late to change course at that point. mo's point stands FTR.

BTW, did we just watch the NFC game on Sept 9th Pack v 49ers, I think so.

IDK from Sheriff of malibu - I missed that ref.

But of course. One way to win is tanking the season to the best QB prospect since 1983. That totally works, too.
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:40 pm

The alarming thing about yesterday was....wait until he get a QB that can REALLY run that thing.

Vick has the athletic part covered. His dimness and inaccuracy will continue to leave plays on the field.

Imagine last night with a not 1st game post injury RG3 or Wilson, Kappy or another mobile QB that can recognize and throw.

Fact of the matter is that 15-25 wasn't all that great shakes for what was available last night. He missed a lot of throws, including a wide open 35 yard TD.

The other side of this that is intersting is defense - how eager are you gonna be to play w/Philly's defense? Understood, when you're winning, everything is great, but a few blips in the road, and defenders being run ragged because of the pace of that offense...

And use this transitional period of NFL football to make yourself some money - cause anyone who watched 104 year old Monte Kiffin being perplexed last year at USC by anything resembling modern football is gonna have little idea what's going on when Philly, SF and teams that are already transformed roll into town. And there's guys like "The Walrus" still hanging around the league with people in high places still feeling they can help a team based on there mid 1980's legacies.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:46 pm

leadpipe wrote:The alarming thing about yesterday was....wait until he get a QB that can REALLY run that thing.

Vick has the athletic part covered. His dimness and inaccuracy will continue to leave plays on the field.

Imagine last night with a not 1st game post injury RG3 or Wilson, Kappy or another mobile QB that can recognize and throw.

Fact of the matter is that 15-25 wasn't all that great shakes for what was available last night. He missed a lot of throws, including a wide open 35 yard TD.

The other side of this that is intersting is defense - how eager are you gonna be to play w/Philly's defense? Understood, when you're winning, everything is great, but a few blips in the road, and defenders being run ragged because of the pace of that offense...

And use this transitional period of NFL football to make yourself some money - cause anyone who watched 104 year old Monte Kiffin being perplexed last year at USC by anything resembling modern football is gonna have little idea what's going on when Philly, SF and teams that are already transformed roll into town. And there's guys like "The Walrus" still hanging around the league with people in high places still feeling they can help a team based on there mid 1980's legacies.
All very true, but they ran the ball 50 million times. That offense is as much about the run as it is the pass, and the NFL is about the pass. So it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:51 pm

leadpipe wrote:The other side of this that is intersting is defense - how eager are you gonna be to play w/Philly's defense? Understood, when you're winning, everything is great, but a few blips in the road, and defenders being run ragged because of the pace of that offense...

Really fascinating stuff. Potentially changes the roster composition.

Again, to the point that there can now be more than one way to skin a cat without sucking and praying a franchise QB drops from the heavens.

Plus, Vick came in the league in 2000 as the most athletic QB ever. At age 33? Guessing he' be sucking wind while Mariotta was still breaking a sweat.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm

FUDU wrote:
leadpipe wrote:The alarming thing about yesterday was....wait until he get a QB that can REALLY run that thing.

All very true, but they ran the ball 50 million times. That offense is as much about the run as it is the pass, and the NFL is about the pass. So it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

I think Donny's lightbulb is starting to flicker on here....
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:55 pm

googleeph2 wrote:

Martz was traditionla NFL stuff with studs. It was Norv's Gillman / Coryell / Zimmerman tree refined with a very talented bunch.

Not revolutionary.
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 pm

FUDU wrote:

Well, here's where some people can mistake what's going on. The excellent offenses pretty much all run the ball well. There are two caveats 1. You don't need to waste investment on a big time back to do it and 2. THEY SET UP THE RUN WITH THE PASS - the adage that no longer applies, that many fossils still seem to believe, is you set up the pass with the run.

New England and New Orleans are recent examples of top tier offenses that provide pretty ordinary rushers with mismatch edges. Philly is exasberating this.

They ran the ball 50 million times yesterday cause there was nobody really defending it. And the few hangin' around were dog tired.

D coordinators will go to work on this no doubt, but it's very real ILO.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:09 pm

I have nothing to add to this conversation since I missed the game last night due to work. But it has been great reading.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:28 am

I love you fucking guys.

You know what makes good offenses? Good players. It's a gimmick that will be addressed throughout the league by mid season. And when that happens, good players will still be winning.

In 2 years when defensive rosters are full of 180lb DBs, some one will run the Wing T and it will be the greatest thing since adult diaper wipes.

Are the Patriots, Pack, Saints or Broncos beating down Philly's door for Vick, or any other QB for that matter? Of course not. They have good players.

Jimmys and Joes.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:09 am

Erie Warrior wrote:I love you fucking guys.

You know what makes good offenses? Good players. It's a gimmick that will be addressed throughout the league by mid season. And when that happens, good players will still be winning.

In 2 years when defensive rosters are full of 180lb DBs, some one will run the Wing T and it will be the greatest thing since adult diaper wipes.

Are the Patriots, Pack, Saints or Broncos beating down Philly's door for Vick, or any other QB for that matter? Of course not. They have good players.

Jimmys and Joes.

That's a bit disingenuous EW since those teams A) don't need a new/different QB right now and B) they don't run an offense that requires what Vick brings to the table (in part b/c of A to begin with). Now if the Pats/Broncos are without TB/PM in 2 years you bet your bottom dollar they explore such an approach if they can't plug n play another QB into their team make up.

For S&Gs right now the list of top QBs probably looks like this:
Rogers
TB/PM
Brees/PM
Luck
RG3/Kaepernick

in large part b/c of the track record the top 4 names bring to the table. In 3 years whether TB or PM are playing or not, that list most likely won't look like that at all. Probably 3-4 young guys top the list with Brees rounding out top 5, with an Eli or Ryan.

FUDU

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:28 am

Wildcat
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05 am

Orenthal wrote:Wildcat

While, generally speaking, anything glossed "Wildcat" is the apex of any perfect being sports-wise...

Miami Wildcat : Model T :: Fully functioning speed spread : Labroghini Aventodor
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Hyperbole : JB::Crack : Lindsay Lohan
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Hyperbole : JB::Crack : Lindsay Lohan

Amish : electricity :: Hiko : NFL offense

Hiko : Celebrities' addictions :: Andy Rooney : 90's Gansta rap
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:32 pm

People do realize that Luck and Rogers are daaamn good runners, right?

You don't need Braxton/RG3 to run these spread concepts. The entire point of the Meyer spread is to create numbers advantages by forcing the defense to have to account for multiple players in each look. Kelly's concepts aren't that different. If you have a QB athletic enough to keep the backside DE at home you have a QB that can run the spread.

BTW: the best point in this thread award goes to lead, because watching NFL SUPER COORDINATOR MONTE KIFFIN!#%!! try to defend real offenses was HILARIOUS.

PS: Russel Wilson is a better NFL QB today that Luck. I'm pretty sure FUDU has a Colt fetish. Christ, Luck averaged a pick every 1.1 throws last year.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm

jb wrote:

You can thank Manning and his inability to beat the Pats when they played real defense. Whiny cunt ruined the integrity of the sport and his rule changes have just been expanded upon as fantasy football and NFL FUN!!! have made the fans desire to see shootouts reign supreme.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:02 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
jb wrote:

You can thank Manning and his inability to beat the Pats when they played real defense. Whiny cunt ruined the integrity of the sport and his rule changes have just been expanded upon as fantasy football and NFL FUN!!! have made the fans desire to see shootouts reign supreme.

maybe I should take an interest in baseball again.

When does spring training start and who won the WS this year anyway?
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Hyperbole : JB::Crack : Lindsay Lohan

Amish : electricity :: Hiko : NFL offense

Hiko : Celebrities' addictions :: Andy Rooney : 90's Gansta rap

Yes, I purposely choose to shun NFL offense. Well done.

I'm a big fan of SF's offense under Kap. Does that count, or is it the NFL equivalent of whale oil since The Chipper isn't the coach?

And yes, foo, I know perfectly well she ain't on crack (as if anyone cares). It amused me.

JB : Falling Head Over Heels In Love With The Latest Thing :: Hiko : Petty Insults
Last edited by Hikohadon on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Wilson might be better than most give him credit for, but he isn't better than Luck, maybe as good. But you can see the bigger ceiling Luck has while he plays. Wilson's ability to be a pocket passer is under rated as equally as Luck's ability to run.

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 pm

HoodooMan
The King

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL