Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Good call Hiko

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Good call Hiko

Unread postby jb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:25 am

my sneaking suspicion that Peyton Manning finally shows his age this year

;-)
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Good call Hiko

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:44 pm

jb wrote:
my sneaking suspicion that Peyton Manning finally shows his age this year

;-)

Is he 49?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Season ain't over, bro.

For all the talk about his increased zip, it still looked to me like anything he threw over 20 yards would've been soft enough to bounce off a cloud. His smarts and scheme will carry him for a while, but they're gonna figure out how to take the small stuff away, and he doesn't have the arm to make them pay deep anymore.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:19 pm

He threw 7 goddamn touchdowns.....
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Remember when the Bills beat the Patriots 31-0 to open the 2003 season? They ended up 6-10, and the Pats won the SB.

If he's still this effective through week 6-7, then I will gladly admit I was wrong. His arm was weak last year and he still was incredibly effective. I just felt like at 37 years old with an arm already weakened by nerve damage, sometimes guys experience the dreaded diminished skills. If I'm wrong, Denver's gonna be a tough team to beat.

EDIT - I'm not sure that 7 TD's is as much a testament to his performance as it is an indictment of the New NFL.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 am

I don't think he has the arm he had ten years ago. No doubt.

But his arm is stronger this season than it was last season.

Keep in mind B'More was in first game w/o Reed and Ray-Ray and you don't smooth that shit out with starters playing 5 quarters of preseason games.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:02 am

peeker643 wrote:But his arm is stronger this season than it was last season.

I heard that too, but I don't think that's what I saw.

It's hard to argue against the results of Game 1. We'll see how he lasts.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:But his arm is stronger this season than it was last season.

I heard that too, but I don't think that's what I saw.

I'll say this: maybe his arm ain't what it was (whose is at that age I guess), so you're probably right on that count. But his mastery of the offense, coverages, routes and timing sure had me seeing footballs delivered where they had to be and when they had to be all night.

At least for Thursday playing against a team trying to replace 2 HoF back 7 guys.

I don't particularly care for Manning or the Broncos so if it was a one night deal or doesn't last all season I'll be perfectly happy about that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Remember when the Bills beat the Patriots 31-0 to open the 2003 season? They ended up 6-10, and the Pats won the SB.

If he's still this effective through week 6-7, then I will gladly admit I was wrong. His arm was weak last year and he still was incredibly effective. I just felt like at 37 years old with an arm already weakened by nerve damage, sometimes guys experience the dreaded diminished skills. If I'm wrong, Denver's gonna be a tough team to beat.

EDIT - I'm not sure that 7 TD's is as much a testament to his performance as it is an indictment of the New NFL.

I agree about the 7 TD's. seeing as 2-3 of them were for what 5 yds or less? But it is still more of an indictment of it being Mr. Peyton Manning. He's not 30yrs old anymore, but he doesn't need to be. He can't carry a team with no D like he did ten years ago, but let's not pretend he didn't dominate defenses last year as well.

FUDU

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:00 pm

That's 3+ TD passes for Manning in 9 of his last 12 games. Why write him off now, especially against that weak-ass schedule?
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby jb » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He threw 7 goddamn touchdowns.....

Clearly he's old & washed up.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Remember when the Bills beat the Patriots 31-0 to open the 2003 season? They ended up 6-10, and the Pats won the SB.

So take is revised the Peyton = Bills 03 QB??

10 - 4
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Again, it's Week 1. If you want to crown his ass, then crown his ass. I still think there's plenty of time for him to start showing signs of degradation and for the Donks to end up the 8th best team in the league (a shocking prediction!)
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Again, it's Week 1. If you want to crown his ass, then crown his ass. I still think there's plenty of time for him to start showing signs of degradation and for the Donks to end up the 8th best team in the league (a shocking prediction!)

Crown his ass, how many crowns do you think that head can fit, it's been crowned out the ass already. They'er trying to run a historic number of plays per game, through his 37 yr old ass, in Denver. That's insane. Oh no now he doesn't have a top 5 arm in the league he has a top ten arm, cut him.

Me thinks you are too picky and have an unreasonable axe to grind for a 37 yr old HOFr still playing.
Last edited by FUDU on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FUDU

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:57 pm

jb wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He threw 7 goddamn touchdowns.....

Clearly he's old & washed up.

I'm not sure if it should even count. It's not like it came against the Super Bowl Champs or anything, right?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:34 pm

QB arm strength might be the most overrated skill in all of sports. Manning has lost some zip? Okay, he just dissected the Ravens D. He's accurate and a master of changing the plays at the line and confusing the fuck outta the D.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:29 am

FUDU wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Again, it's Week 1. If you want to crown his ass, then crown his ass. I still think there's plenty of time for him to start showing signs of degradation and for the Donks to end up the 8th best team in the league (a shocking prediction!)

Crown his ass, how many crowns do you think that head can fit, it's been crowned out the ass already. They'er trying to run a historic number of plays per game, through his 37 yr old ass, in Denver. That's insane. Oh no now he doesn't have a top 5 arm in the league he has a top ten arm, cut him.

Me thinks you are too picky and have an unreasonable axe to grind for a 37 yr old HOFr still playing.

That take is just flat retarded.

I say that I think there's a possibility that increasingly limited arm strength MIGHT cause Manning to drop off to the point where Denver is ONLY the 8th best team and that causes you consternation how? Jesus H Christ on a tricycle.

"I'm sorry I ate your fish, OK?"
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:52 am

Only Peyton Manning is a selfish enough cocksucker to throw 5 TDs from inside the five yard line and freeze his running backs out of the game.

One thing has never changed about Mannging, he knows how to inflate a stat line like no one else int he history of the league.

Horse-faced piece of shit.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:02 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:QB arm strength might be the most overrated skill in all of sports. Manning has lost some zip? Okay, he just dissected the Ravens D. He's accurate and a master of changing the plays at the line and confusing the fuck outta the D.

I think there's a certain minimum throwing ability you have to have in order to be effective in the NFL. Clearly, Peyton has enough, for now. He's lost a few mph's off his fastball, but makes up for it with his smarts.

But if his fastball drops below 80, even those won't save him.

I merely suggest that at his age with the kind of injury he had, it's not impossible that over the course of the season with the beating it brings, his arm strength will drop another few notches to a point where even he can't be as effective as he once was/is now.
Hikohadon

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:30 am

The game that REALLY mattered against the Ravens in January vs. the game

against the Ravens in September.

Peyton Manning, THIS IS YOUR LIFE!
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:55 am

In retrospect, my ranking should've been based on where I thought the teams are right now, not where they'll be at the end of the season. So Denver should be higher right now since Manning will never be healthier (this season).
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:41 am

Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:

I say that I think there's a possibility that increasingly limited arm strength MIGHT cause Manning to drop off to the point where Denver is ONLY the 8th best team and that causes you consternation how? Jesus H Christ on a tricycle.

Oh no! It's F_F_F_FUDU C_C_C_Coming to K_K_K_Kill Hiko!
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:55 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:

How will you C-C-C-Catch me K-K-Ken?

+1 on this

Olbermann had a great rant about this other night. It's on Youtube if anyone cares to look it up, I'm too lazy to link it.

The core of the rant was "It's Week 1!!"
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:55 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:

How will you C-C-C-Catch me K-K-Ken?

+1 on this

Olbermann had a great rant about this other night. It's on Youtube if anyone cares to look it up, I'm too lazy to link it.

The core of the rant was "It's Week 1!!"
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Sorry Hiko you had the take that resembles a 70 or less on the IQ chart. Nobody was crowing PM's ass, he's still capable of doing 99.9% of all the things he did last year and two years prior, IOW his ass was crowned a long time ago. The dude is 37, and you're saying he might not have his best season this year, how profound of you.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:41 am

Hikohadon wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:QB arm strength might be the most overrated skill in all of sports. Manning has lost some zip? Okay, he just dissected the Ravens D. He's accurate and a master of changing the plays at the line and confusing the fuck outta the D.

I think there's a certain minimum throwing ability you have to have in order to be effective in the NFL. Clearly, Peyton has enough, for now. He's lost a few mph's off his fastball, but makes up for it with his smarts.

I merely suggest that at his age with the kind of injury he had, it's not impossible that over the course of the season with the beating it brings, his arm strength will drop another few notches to a point where even he can't be as effective as he once was/is now.

Of course all you wrote above is a great take, knowledgable and true. But u didn't say "maybe" he show his age IIRC correctly. U declared the million dollar man with the $5 obligatory SEC haircut DOA. This season.

In this band of a hole brothers that earns a minor ball bust when he goes yard literally that day. Lol Murphy's Law of prognostication. That's all. Nothing more.

:group:
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 am

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Of course all you wrote above is a great take, knowledgable and true. But u didn't say "maybe" he show his age IIRC correctly. U declared the million dollar man with the $5 obligatory SEC haircut DOA. This season.

In this band of a hole brothers that earns a minor ball bust when he goes yard literally that day. Lol Murphy's Law of prognostication. That's all. Nothing more.

:group:

My sneaking suspicion = I think = Maybe.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:33 am

I bask in EiEi Yo's rage for Manning. Dude is a statistical machine. He puts in the work. He doesn't need to throw it 70 in the air anymore coz Welker is open every play 5-7.

I wish we had a line that could give the QB a chance to find our open WR at 5-7, but our guys on Dank and our QB seems color blind.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 am

Ha! I told all ya all mothafuckas that Peyton's arm strength issue would lead to his demise.

Ignore that most yards and most TD's ever and the SB appearance, that's just white noise. ;-) ;) :wink:
Hikohadon

Unread postby Spin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 am

Payton Manning's first two words of the Super Bowl

"Omaha"

"Shit!"
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL