Text Size

No Holds Barred

Should we strike Syria?

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:44 pm

This isn't left/right motivated and it may be obvious, but did Obama take his recommendation to Congress in the hopes they turn it down?

Seems to me the best and easiest way to extricate himself from his ultimatum is to put the decision in someone else's hands and perhaps shrug his shoulders if Congress doesn't back the plan.

In other words, it gives him an out.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22684
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:48 pm

peeker643 wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Wow...I haven't seen a shank like that since the first time I used a sand wedge when I was 10


Take a longer look at his post, FMB. He wasn't taking a shot at you, you Death Valley Glory Hole. : )


How I saw it as well. More of an opinion on regardless of administration nothing much changes.


<---was too busy raging...thanks for pointing out what a dick I am

I now feel like one of the guys

:nanner:
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:This isn't left/right motivated and it may be obvious, but did Obama take his recommendation to Congress in the hopes they turn it down?

Seems to me the best and easiest way to extricate himself from his ultimatum is to put the decision in someone else's hands and perhaps shrug his shoulders if Congress doesn't back the plan.

In other words, it gives him an out.



...and it just makes him look like more of a pussy, too.

From day one he's been bending over and taking up the ass but this right here right now is a chance to stay the fuck out of the ME and away from their millions of murdering minions

That to me takes more balls than pressing buttons to waste million $ cruise missiles
a dozen at a time ...

esp since it only helps al Qaeda

I mean c'mon...fight the muslim brotherhood in Egypt then support it and al qaeda in Syria....?

"Stupid is as stupid does"

Forrest...Forrest Gump
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Unless the POTUS is a retarded cowboy with an (R) in front of his name, then you'll grab your pom poms and cheer him on.

That to me takes more balls than pressing buttons to waste million $ cruise missiles a dozen at a time


Gems like this don't come around too often.... when they do, you just gotta enjoy it.

Grazie a voi, è divertente vecchio bastardo.


Image
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Unless the POTUS is a retarded cowboy with an (R) in front of his name, then you'll grab your pom poms and cheer him on.

That to me takes more balls than pressing buttons to waste million $ cruise missiles a dozen at a time


Gems like this don't come around too often.... when they do, you just gotta enjoy it.

Grazie a voi, è divertente vecchio bastardo.


Image


That's bullshit because you're assuming I was in favor of invading Iraq, whish I wasn't

However...once that decision gets made I'm all about the killing and maiming :thumbup:

The point here is actually too simple for you to fathom I suppose so you start a straw man argument that has absofuckinglootly nothing at all to do with the conversation

You say I'm all about staying out of it because yOmomma is a Dimwit

I say I'm all about staying out of it because I'm not interested in providing air support to al queda and the simple fucking fact that both side of this battle are our enemy

ya dumb oaf
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Why can't they just stay out of it publicly, and then black ops the place into a giant hole?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6458
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Why can't they just stay out of it publicly, and then black ops the place into a giant hole?


I think they, if possible, prefer to be overtly opposed to the use of chemical weapons as opposed to covertly opposed.

I'm sure there are plenty of covert operations that are on-going in the region but some things beg for a more public display.

That would be my guess, anyway.

Personally, I believe that with as divided as this country is politically and with as much media division as there is, if you could do more things covertly you'd be better off. But some operations call for larger scale of man power and spectacle, as well as the immediacy that such strikes provide.

Again, that's just my opinion on the matter.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22684
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 am

peeker643 wrote:This isn't left/right motivated and it may be obvious, but did Obama take his recommendation to Congress in the hopes they turn it down?

Seems to me the best and easiest way to extricate himself from his ultimatum is to put the decision in someone else's hands and perhaps shrug his shoulders if Congress doesn't back the plan.

In other words, it gives him an out.



Of course. Or so he thinks.

He came to and he and his prolly were all like "Oh SHIT! We're norons. What do we do now? And how can I take the easy way out and wash my hands of all this instead of take a stand?"

Then they thought send it to Congress. Everything gets gridlocked there anyway.

Problem is the R's will see it too and probably authorize it because our pols are really, really good about doing only 2 bi-partisan things: blowing money on the military and sending young people in harms way for no good reason.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:52 am

What is there , 196 countries? Take a vote. Majority wins. If "cruise missile" option wins, those "in" put in their fair share of blood, sweat, and treasure on the line. :thud:
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Fearless Prediction:

Vote will resemble the Justin Amash, defunding the NSA vote. In the Senate where there wasn't an NSA defunding vote, look for the Senators who called Snowden a traitor, to back this (McCain, Graham, Feinstein). If this does pass the house and goes to the Senate, does Rand do another filibuster, ala the Drones issue? Does any leader from either party come out against this? I mean a true party leader, guys like Alan Grayson, and Rand Paul are still "fringe" though certainly Paul is extremely emboldened at the moment.

I have no idea what the above means, and have tried to step aside and focus on health and my kids, but the only conclusion I intend to be drawn from what I typed is just that all of these decisions seem to go against the will of the people. I don't think there is anything conspiratorial behind loosely connecting the votes of disparate issues, other than who is the major funding source for each candidate's elections.
On Twitter @DaBashers
User avatar
dmiles
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:36 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:01 pm

dmiles wrote:Fearless Prediction:

Vote will resemble the Justin Amash, defunding the NSA vote. In the Senate where there wasn't an NSA defunding vote, look for the Senators who called Snowden a traitor, to back this (McCain, Graham, Feinstein). If this does pass the house and goes to the Senate, does Rand do another filibuster, ala the Drones issue? Does any leader from either party come out against this? I mean a true party leader, guys like Alan Grayson, and Rand Paul are still "fringe" though certainly Paul is extremely emboldened at the moment.

I have no idea what the above means, and have tried to step aside and focus on health and my kids, but the only conclusion I intend to be drawn from what I typed is just that all of these decisions seem to go against the will of the people. I don't think there is anything conspiratorial behind loosely connecting the votes of disparate issues, other than who is the major funding source for each candidate's elections.


Interesting.

This could be Rand's golden opportunity to scream "I'm different than these doofi!" on an issue I would guess lacks public support.

He could move toward mainstream while staying credible to his beliefs/message. Could be a masterstroke for him to swing center in the minds of many.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Did you..... pluralize "doofus"?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:21 pm

I am betting the Military Industrial Complex wins.
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Did you..... pluralize "doofus"?



Was thinking 2nd declention but that assumes masculine bias. Thoughts? maybe 4th would be better? Dufua?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:48 pm

doofii
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: Should we strike Syria?

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:14 pm

My fearless prediction is going wrong. Well somewhat wrong the leadership of both parties seems to be pushing it hard, as they've been in lock-step on everything recently. However the whips do not think the votes are there. Angry calls coming into offices of both parties seems to be taking a toll.

Mitch McConnell is the only leader not supporting the Pres. I would think this is more self-serving than principle since he'll be challenged from a wealthy tea party type in the primaries.
On Twitter @DaBashers
User avatar
dmiles
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:36 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Previous

Return to No Holds Barred

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests