Text Size

College Sports Arena

Jameis Winston FSU/Pitt

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Jameis Winston FSU/Pitt

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:32 pm

The build-up for this kid has been off the charts, topped by the ESPN article attached:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... noles-snap

6'4", 230lb redshirt freshman, two sports (baseball as well), 4.6/40 and an already legendary arm, starting FSU QB.

Been looking forward to seeing what he's all about and even though drive was aborted that's a kid with poise way beyond his years.

But thus far FSU hasn't come close to stopping Pitt.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Jameis Winston FSU/Pitt

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Winston is obviously the real deal. Very impressive. I would give Miller's running ability in a heartbeat to have that kid's pocket passing skills.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:02 pm

See the article? Kid is diagramming and dissecting coverages as 12 yr old. If take that kind of detail and intelligence for my Browns QB.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Meyer tried to get in on him after he was hired in 2012 and the kid flirted with visiting, but at the end of the day a few month long relationship with Meyer wasn't going to overtake the baseball side of things.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:58 am

Real deal.

I mean, Pitt was embarrassing, but that kid was something else. Forgot the numbers, just look at the poise and the control he had over that offense from play one. He audibilizes, he calls out coverages and blitzes like he's 30, he makes the right read and throw into that coverage and he ain't afraid to accept blame or deal with guys who screw up.

He kept a run that should have been optioned to Wilder for a short gain and immediately popped up and said he screwed it up.

Pretty damn impressive.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:15 am

Winston may be the reason that Mack Brown gets run out of Texas if they struggle again (particularly at QB) this year.

Kid wanted to go there above any school but Texas didn't offer. Bama was hard on Jameis but he liked FSU and Fisher's history with QBs better.

That said, I want to be quick to point out, this was just one game against a defense that was utterly pathetic.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Anyone catch Mark May's breakdown of how tOSU almost lost to Buffahaw pregame?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:21 pm

jb wrote:Anyone catch Mark May's breakdown of how tOSU almost lost to Buffahaw pregame?

Did anyone hear Mark May rail against the loss of the Michigan-Notre Dame rivalry and sit there and say he grew up watching it?

May was born in 1959. Michigan-Notre Dame didn't play between 1943 and 1978.

Mark May is a useless, trolling piece of shit who's also a fucking liar.

Aside from that I don't mind him in the least.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Damn, Mr. Bundy. So the guy's a late bloomer.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:Anyone catch Mark May's breakdown of how tOSU almost lost to Buffahaw pregame?

Did anyone hear Mark May rail against the loss of the Michigan-Notre Dame rivalry and sit there and say he grew up watching it?

Did you see Skip Bayless 1-up Mark May's idiocy with his "take" this morning about watching it growing up? And Bubba Smith playing in the "rivalry" (mind you, Bubba Smith went to MSU).

ESPN yet again looks bad on this one but will no doubt beat it into the ground thru the rest of the week and into Saturday. There's a lot to all this whole argument when it comes to ND-Michigan, ND's view on the Big Ten, recruiting areas, etc. To distill it simply to this "rivalry" debate is a nuisance.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:33 pm

noles1 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Did you see Skip Bayless 1-up Mark May's idiocy with his "take" this morning about watching it growing up? And Bubba Smith playing in the "rivalry" (mind you, Bubba Smith went to MSU).

ESPN yet again looks bad on this one but will no doubt beat it into the ground thru the rest of the week and into Saturday. There's a lot to all this whole argument when it comes to ND-Michigan, ND's view on the Big Ten, recruiting areas, etc. To distill it simply to this "rivalry" debate is a nuisance.

Skip is such a crater face he may have grown up in the 30's.

Thne again, he says the Seahawks will contend in the AFC.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Jameis Winston FSU/P

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 pm

ESPN's sports journalists are decent, their talking heads are so biased and poorly informed that it is a joke. For the life of me, I cannot understand how Cornheiser, May, Wilbon and Bayless still have jobs there.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Those guys are nothing more than paid hacks doing what they are told. ESPN = WWF(E) mindless entertainment for the masses. At least the wrestling heals have some form of talent. The ESPNBOTS do the biding of their masters. They sold their souls long ago. Its not about being credible or informed they just need to say something moronic so the mindless back and forth can go on.
ole uncle charle

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 pm

noles1 wrote:Winston may be the reason that Mack Brown gets run out of Texas if they struggle again (particularly at QB) this year.

Kid wanted to go there above any school but Texas didn't offer. Bama was hard on Jameis but he liked FSU and Fisher's history with QBs better.

That said, I want to be quick to point out, this was just one game against a defense that was utterly pathetic.

Evidenced by not one defender being even close to covering those FSU receivers. But, Winston can only make the throws he sees, helluva a game. Lots to be excited about for FSU fans.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to College Sports Arena