Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Nick Swisher

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Nick Swisher

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:15 pm

From this Fangraphs piece done by Eno Sarris, we know what's wrong with Swisher's shoulder now. What follows is a quote from Swisher:

I’ve been super lucky in my ninth, tenth season, not really dealing with any major issues, no joints stuff, elbows, shoulders knees, I’ve been pretty lucky but when you do go through something like that — slight tear and soreness at the beginning of the season and we’ve just been rehabbing it because I’m not a needle guy, bro, I don’t like surgeries.

Sarris goes on to call it a rotator cuff tear and that Swisher opted for rehab instead of surgery.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-a-sh ... ers-swing/
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Nick Swisher

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:54 pm

skatingtripods wrote:From this Fangraphs piece done by Eno Sarris, we know what's wrong with Swisher's shoulder now. What follows is a quote from Swisher:

I’ve been super lucky in my ninth, tenth season, not really dealing with any major issues, no joints stuff, elbows, shoulders knees, I’ve been pretty lucky but when you do go through something like that — slight tear and soreness at the beginning of the season and we’ve just been rehabbing it because I’m not a needle guy, bro, I don’t like surgeries.

Sarris goes on to call it a rotator cuff tear and that Swisher opted for rehab instead of surgery.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-a-sh ... ers-swing/

Just wondering if the rotator cuff is connected to the eye? With a guy on second, the Atlanta pitcher just threw Swisher 6 straight balls (that is, not in the strike zone) and Swish still struck out. I've questioned his eye all season.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Swisher plate discipline stats:

O-Swing% (chase rate)
Career: 20.4% (but well over 20% each of last four seasons)
2013: 25.3%

Z-Swing% (swinging at pitches in zone)
Career: 63.8%
2013: 67.5%

Z-Contact% (contact w/ pitches in zone)
Career: 85.8%
2013: 82.9%

SwStr% (swinging strike rate)
Career: 8.9%
2013: 9.9%

So yes, plate discipline and plate coverage have been an issue.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Swisher is Paul Sorrento, not sure why some fans have been surprised by what we got most of the season from him.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:59 pm

FUDU wrote:Swisher is Paul Sorrento, not sure why some fans have been surprised by what we got most of the season from him.

There sure was a lot of hype about signing Swish. Maybe because we "stole" him from the Yanks where he hit .268 while being surrounded by All-Stars.
He's a .255 career hitter. He's hitting .243 this year.

He's averaged 119 SOs a year. He has 116 for the Tribe.

BTW, you're right, FUDU, Sorrento was a .257 career hitter.

And another btw, Reynolds is hitting .289 for the Yanks, while he hit .215 for us.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:34 am

Ah, so I see we're still using batting average to evaluate hitters.

Cool.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 am

I'm not sure it's possible for two players to be any more different than Swisher and Sorrento, actually. On many levels.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:41 am

Froom 2006-12, Swisher ranked 47th out of 429 qualified players in OBP, 57th in wOBA, and 38th in WAR (position players only, of course).

The guy had a down year. Even with natural regression as he gets older, he should put up decidedly better numbers next season and over the remaining years of his contract.

I won't deny that the protection in the lineup and short porch in RF helped his power numbers, but he has been playing hurt all season, which has affected his ability to drive the ball. The article I mentioned above shows a mechanical change in his swing that is likely affecting his swing and miss rate and he's cheating on certain pitches to try and get out in front of them to drive them.

Have to give a guy with a proven track record more than one season before writing him off.

By no means is he a star, but he's in the top 15-20% of hitters in an average season.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Swisher is good enough to complement a good offense - as much as he historically gets on base, he's a good complement.

His problem here is the expectation to carry a good offense, and frankly, he's not good enough to do that.

He's have to pretty much die to be Paul Sorrento.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB