Text Size

College Sports Arena

Game 1: Buffalo @ Ohio State 12pm ESPN 2

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Game 1: Buffalo @ Ohio State 12pm ESPN 2

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Noon kick on the deuce. Joey Galloway and Beth Mowins (use a radio if you can).

OSU is a 36 point favorite and should cover the spread, but I would never touch a spread that big just because weird stuff happens when you are winning by 42 with your 6th team on the field. Buffalo played the same Miami (OH) team that OSU crushed last year to a narrow 27-24 victory.

I think OSU goes pretty vanilla as long as it is pulling away and just uses this as a chance to get its DC together and get youngins on the field early. I expect to see Jalin Marshall, EZE, Dontre Wilson and Joe Bosa play big minutes. Hopefully we see some plays from James Clark in the return game too.

Warren Ball is supposed to be coming on really strong for snaps and rumor has it he has passed Dunn on the DC. If this is true, I think there is a better than average shot that Dunn is not on the team next year. I think EZE has made a strong move on the DC too. Meyer was raving about him recently in an interview with Jack Arute.

I like the Bucks to win big, something like 55-10.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Game 1: Buffalo @ Ohio State 12pm ESPN 2

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 pm

There's a delay in the radio/TV broadcasts.... YOU MUST LISTEN TO MOWINS.

OSU- A lot

Buffalo- A lot less
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:There's a delay in the radio/TV broadcasts.... YOU MUST LISTEN TO MOWINS.

OSU- A lot

Buffalo- A lot less

Damn it. We need OSU to crush them and move on to a higher tier of announcers. Mowins is awful. She is literally the worst play caller in sports. Her voice makes me want to kill kittens, so that maybe the sound of their screams will make my ears feel better.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Not predicting a score yet, but one thing for sure. I am jazzed for this.

We see less of Braxton rushing, I'd guess...and I also think they'll be throwing it all over the field. But I'm sure Urban/Herman will hold back on the playbook...saving something for some of the bigtime opponents.

Hope it's a walk, because I think both SDSU and Cal could be competitive...for a while.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:36 pm

That's an impressive double post. Over 30 minutes apart.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks, I am really trying to take my double posting to a new level. Glad you appreciate my work!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Mowins makes you nostalgic for Pam Ward!

Heard an amazing stat the other day...forget where...

In games in which Ohio State scores 35 points or more...all time...they are 275-0-1

The tie was 35-35 with SMU in 1978...looked it up.

Think about that....all the high scoring games they've played in...they have never lost one....if the statistic is right...I didn't check the records myself.

Last year...with that misfiring first-year-under-a-new-system offense, they scored 35 or more six times...and they scored 29 or more in 9 out of the 12 games.

Just last year, Indiana put 49 on them...and Nebraska 38...

It's was just amazing to me that they have never come out on the wrong end of a 49-48 barnburner. Ever.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:44 pm

That is an interesting stat.

This team will almost certainly eclipse the 1998 OSU scoring record of 504 points (42ppg). Last year they averaged like 37 (or so) and that offense was inconsistent as heck and had virtually no passing game in many games. The schedule is easier this year and the offense will be better. This team will play 13-14 games, so to me in order to beat the scoring record they have to exceed 42ppg. I think they will.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:21 am

Here's the entire 2014 TV schedule from lsufootball.net

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Buffalo has a few future Sunday players. RB Branden Oliver is a quality player, along with WR Alex Neutz. Neither one will have much room to operate, I don't think. Khalil Mack, a LB, is getting a first-round grade from some scouts. There's a little bit of talent on the Buffalo sideline. They ran for nearly 200 yards against Georgia last season, backups in the game or not. That was as a 38-point dog and they lost 45-23. Veteran team with three straight years of improvement.

Ohio State wins easily, but 35 is a pretty good number. It's about right where I have it, so no play on the game for me. Buffalo will give an effort, though, which is nice.

Buffalo draws Baylor the following week. What a rough way to start the year.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Meyer said to expect a lot of Dime against the spread this year. Really interested in seeing what DBs make that cut.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:42 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Buffalo has a few future Sunday players. RB Branden Oliver is a quality player, along with WR Alex Neutz. Neither one will have much room to operate, I don't think. Khalil Mack, a LB, is getting a first-round grade from some scouts. There's a little bit of talent on the Buffalo sideline. They ran for nearly 200 yards against Georgia last season, backups in the game or not. That was as a 38-point dog and they lost 45-23. Veteran team with three straight years of improvement.

Ohio State wins easily, but 35 is a pretty good number. It's about right where I have it, so no play on the game for me. Buffalo will give an effort, though, which is nice.

Written like a true spread junkie.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:31 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Meyer said to expect a lot of Dime against the spread this year. Really interested in seeing what DBs make that cut.

Pitt Brown in the starting dime from what I read out of camp this week.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:53 pm

For anyone who doesn't want to listen to Mowins, I got a extra ticket to the game, section 31B. Free of charge.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:58 am

skatingtripods wrote:Buffalo has a few future Sunday players. RB Branden Oliver is a quality player, along with WR Alex Neutz. Neither one will have much room to operate, I don't think. Khalil Mack, a LB, is getting a first-round grade from some scouts. There's a little bit of talent on the Buffalo sideline. They ran for nearly 200 yards against Georgia last season, backups in the game or not. That was as a 38-point dog and they lost 45-23. Veteran team with three straight years of improvement.

Agree, Buffalo is not bad and it seems like MAC teams do a decent job of covering the spread against B1G teams in the opening week of the season. If the Bucks cover the spread I will be impressed--we have some key guys out and counting on some young sophomores on D.

Gotta think that Buffalo will try and test the middle of our D and run the ball to keep it close and keep our offense off the field.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 am

furls wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Meyer said to expect a lot of Dime against the spread this year. Really interested in seeing what DBs make that cut.

Pitt Brown in the starting dime from what I read out of camp this week.

Powell and Bell at the Star and Pitt Brown and Bogard at the dime. I found it interesting that Brown is the only of the nickle/dime backs to also be listed on the two deep at another position (FS). I'm sure Bell will play right away, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot of Powell and Brown early, and more Bell and Bogard late with Brown falling into a backup S role to give Barnett/Bryant a breather here and there.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:19 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Written like a true spread junkie.

Glad you noticed.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Not one Alex Zoridch take?

He's eye's homeboy.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Psssshaw.

I have no affinity for the Zordich clan. From what I remember they have a restaurant or something out in one of those Jackson like stick towns. Eff that noise.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Did Anyone see Meyer in Columbus today?

Reason I ask is BG just kicked the crap out of what should be a good Tulsa team (they were good last year and returned a lot of key players). Meyer wasn't moonlighting back in Bowling Green was he? :partyers:

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:59 am

The Falcons are the favorites to win the MAC East, FWIW...at least according to Steele's and some other experts...then Ohio...then Buffalo in that division.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:00 am

I will be shocked if OSU doesn't drop 50+ on Buffalo. I have no idea how the D will do, but I am glad they get face an NFL back early in the season. Should be a decent test of the DTs and LBs.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:01 am

Zordich is the backup QB for the Bulls, from the looks of it. Sophomore Joe Licata will be the starter Saturday. He's the more pro-style guy, while Zordich (a senior) is the more versatile, mobile, run threat guy...they say. This will be my first look at a Buffalo Bulls game...that I recall.

danwismar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:52 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Did Anyone see Meyer in Columbus today?

Reason I ask is BG just kicked the crap out of what should be a good Tulsa team (they were good last year and returned a lot of key players). Meyer wasn't moonlighting back in Bowling Green was he? :partyers:

34-7 is a very misleading final. Was a 6-0 game at half and 13-0 after three. Tulsa missed two FGs and fumbled in the red zone in the first half. BG ran back a punt in the 4th after Tulsa gave up and scored on a short field after Tulsa tried a fake punt inside their own 15.

BG's offense is still a big problem. 4.9 yards per play and neither Johnson nor Schilz looked very good. The defense is definitely legit, but they were a little fortunate last night.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Here's Meyer's new "pump up" video, released today(?) via Twitter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9V8bfwY ... e=youtu.be

danwismar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Not bad, but I'm so tired of hearing that god damn song.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:49 pm

This is like Christmas eve when you're a kid.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:42 pm

C.J. Barnett out.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Pitt Brown is his back up. I am sure this means a little more Vonn Bell too... or perhaps more 3 LB sets, which would make it a good chance to see Perry and Grant/Mitchell

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Hearing Trey Johnson will play from scrimmage too. They have a nickel package that has both Mitchell and Johnson on the field (BN?)

danwismar

Re: Game 1: Buffalo @ Ohio SPN 2

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:20 am

Yep, BN was saying that Johnson came on some at the end of camp. As for a nickel with the two frosh, I would bet that is more of a proof of concept/2nd string sort of thing because I cannot see any reason to take Shazier off the field other than he is injured of you are up by 4-5 TDs.

One thing I love about Meyer that used to drive me nuts about Tressel is that Meyer does not waste game reps, whereas Tressel would start wasting game reps as soon as possible. For instance if Meyer's OSU is winning by 4-5 TDs, then Meyer is going to bring out the 2nd/3rd string and run real plays and get these guys real reps. If Tressel's team is up by 14 he starts taking a knee with the 1st string as soon as possible (even if it is the 2nd quarter).

How many times did we see OSU switch to run/run/pass/punt in the second half? Seemed like such a waste.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:49 am

Johnson was hurt early in camp, same as Cam Burrows (similar to Jalin missing a good chunk of time in the middle).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:17 pm

I have been over Jordan Hall for two years. Thanks Hyde and Smith.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:18 pm

Good looking throw from Braxton there.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Urban also sacrifices chickens the night before games.

Christ, working on a two point play for later in the year after the first TD of the year against Buffalo.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:22 pm

Love the 2 pt conversion to start the game. It says that if you are going to come to Columbus to get a 7 figure check then you are going to fucking earn it! I might be gnit-picking a bit here, but that throw by Miller was a bit behind Smith; probably a good thing, as if it was leading Smith it would have probably been defended. I will give Miller the benefit of the doubt here and credit Smith with a great adjustment.

Nice read by Miller on the coverage.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:25 pm

First third and long of the season they went Dime. Guess they really are working on it.

Ron Tanner got on the field though, which was unexpected.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:26 pm

The tempo on the first possession was noticably faster than last year, where they ran kind of a faux uptempo in which they just lined up fast and then stayed lined up to prevent the defense from substituting. Last possession their average snap occured with 25ish seconds left on the play clock, with the goal of wearing out the D. Last year they averaged 70 plays per game, this year I am betting they are closer to 90.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:First third and long of the season they went Dime. Guess they really are working on it.

Ron Tanner got on the field though, which was unexpected.

If you have the horses to get pressure in a dime you should run it.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Holy shit, Dontre WIlson almost takes his first touch to the house.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:29 pm

Wow, that was easy, and another 2 pt conversion?

WTF?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:30 pm

I love how the 2pt conversions give KG a shot to be involved and run plays too. That is a nice side effect.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Gotta feeling a turnover is coming

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:35 pm

Wow,

Joe Bosa is FUCKING HUGE. Already is Simon sized. He is gonna be a player.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Did Adolphus get knicked up? He's been out for a good while.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:42 pm

Looks like they gave the whole series to Bosa.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Well can we watch anyone but Jordan Hall on O then....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Wow, what a shot by Philly. Who knew he had that in him? That was a shot!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:45 pm

Jordan Hall appears to be just as serviceable as I remember. The question is, how long will he be healthy? He has nice vision and probably has the lowest standard deviation of any player on the O. You know if he touches the ball he is going to get 5 yards plus or minus 2.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Right after I type that Hall gets 2 unspectacular carries for 6 and 5 yards respectively.

Great throw by miller on the deep out after that.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Next

Return to College Sports Arena