Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

8/27/13 Indians v. Braves

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

8/27/13 Indians v. Braves

Unread postby hebner20 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Going to Tuesday's and Thursday's games at turner field. Salazar on Tuesday and Ubaldo on Thursday. It will be the first time I will see ubaldo's herky jerky delivery in person. Not paying for either game which is also plus. I will do my best to bring home some wins.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: 8/27/13 Indians v. Braves

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Big 9 game stretch here. If they can make it through this with 5 wins I'd be stoked. After this stretch it gets a lot easier for sure.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:16 pm

I know Tito is trying to get that extra RH bat and D in there in Stubbs. But I'd rather see Yan catching and Carlos at 1b with Swish at RF.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby kennesawmountainwahoo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:40 pm

hebner20 wrote:Going to Tuesday's and Thursday's games at turner field. Salazar on Tuesday and Ubaldo on Thursday. It will be the first time I will see ubaldo's herky jerky delivery in person. Not paying for either game which is also plus. I will do my best to bring home some wins.

Last time they were here was 2004. I saw the immortal Jason Davis hit a 400 foot homer. Sadly, this week doesn't work for me. BTW Heb, where is that picture of the Silver Comet Trail taken at? I go down to Smyrna on occasion to test the old legs on the bike.
kennesawmountainwahoo

Favorite Player: Shark Tank
Least Favorite Player: Rebuilding Again

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 pm

We need Yan catching Salazar. Carlos is just so clueless unless he's got Justin or Tomlin (guys who know what pitch they want). Yan should always catch Salazar and Ubaldo.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:04 pm

bookelly wrote:Yan should always catch.

Fixed it for you. ;-) ;) :wink:
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 pm

bookelly wrote:I know Tito is trying to get that extra RH bat and D in there in Stubbs. But I'd rather see Yan catching and Carlos at 1b with Swish at RF.

Stubbs: botched catch in right field, or just a great attempt? I only listen.

Gave Stubbs a talking-to when he came to bat and Droobs was on first. Told him how he owed the team to hit a HR and tie it up. Best he could do was walk.

bookelly wrote:...Carlos is just so clueless.

You could have ended your sentence there. ;-) ;) :wink:
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby hebner20 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:34 pm

kennesawmountainwahoo wrote:
hebner20 wrote:Going to Tuesday's and Thursday's games at turner field. Salazar on Tuesday and Ubaldo on Thursday. It will be the first time I will see ubaldo's herky jerky delivery in person. Not paying for either game which is also plus. I will do my best to bring home some wins.

Last time they were here was 2004. I saw the immortal Jason Davis hit a 400 foot homer. Sadly, this week doesn't work for me. BTW Heb, where is that picture of the Silver Comet Trail taken at? I go down to Smyrna on occasion to test the old legs on the bike.

Alabama-Georgia state line.
hebner20

Unread postby hebner20 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Busy day and very tired after getting home at about 11 PM last night. The Braves pitcher has a funny delivery (Alex Wood?) winds up with the ball at his belt behind his back. I did not see the Stubbs miss of the ball off the wall due to seat location so I have nothing to contribute as far as that goes. I don't have much to contribute today about anything. Only had 1 beer at the game so that is not an excuse.

I get to do it again tomorrow night perhaps with better results. Lots of men LOB last night - perhaps a small village to quote Underwood.
hebner20

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:Stubbs: botched catch in right field, or just a great attempt? I only listen.

He didn't really know where the wall was and the ball hit the heel of his glove. It was a play that should have been made, but it wasn't easy.

Either way, it would have been a sac fly and we'd have lost 1-0.

Let's look at some of the other big problems. For example, Mike Aviles batting 5th. Michael Brantley 2-for his last-31. Bat's really dragging through the zone. Rolling over on everything to the right side. It'd be nice to give him a day off here and there, but Ryan Raburn not being available makes it difficult. I don't understand why they haven't just DL'd Raburn retroactive to August 19 to get a another warm body up. Aviles can handle LF for a spot start here or there, but that eliminates any bench they might have because Giambi can't play the field and Gomes is exclusively a C.

Another problem is that Tim Fedroff is the only other OF on the 40-man, so they left themselves nothing to call up if need be.

I won't read too much into last night's loss, as Alex Wood was a LHP they've never seen and they don't hit those guys anyway. But the lengthy offensive struggles need to be fixed very soon or it'll be ugly again in Detroit this weekend.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Well, I can safely say that if Wedge had not walked the 8th hitter to get to a pitcher who was standing there 0-18 on his career with 13 strikeouts, and said 8th hitter tripled in the only two runs of the game, there would have been a riot.

Not arguing Salazar's control, command or anything else.

I don't care.

There would have been a riot.

But maybe because I'm in Louisville this week I'm just hearing none of it. Maybe Cleveland is burning. I doubt it because no one is interested in this team enough to get too upset. Or they've swallowed the Francona sludge.

This team can't/won't (but inarguably doesn't) play well when they have to against good teams.

See, that's a problem should they reach the playoffs. Ya know?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:Well, I can safely say that if Wedge had not walked the 8th hitter to get to a pitcher who was standing there 0-18 on his career with 13 strikeouts, and said 8th hitter tripled in the only two runs of the game, there would have been a riot.

Not arguing Salazar's control, command or anything else.

I don't care.

There would have been a riot.

But maybe because I'm in Louisville this week I'm just hearing none of it. Maybe Cleveland is burning. I doubt it because no one is interested in this team enough to get too upset. Or they've swallowed the Francona sludge.

This team can't/won't (but inarguably doesn't) play well when they have to against good teams.

See, that's a problem should they reach the playoffs. Ya know?

So, if Francona blew that game, he'll actually need to now be involved in a formula which gives his team a 17 game advantage, to equal the old one that says he's worth 15.

I think.

Or, Francona didn't blow it, and he just sat there like the rest of us and watched a team not score.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:41 pm

We're just really not good at playing NL ball. Not that we should be, but at least know that if you're the 8th batter you need to really alter your approach. Stubbs HAS to clear the pitcher there, no way he should be swinging with 3 balls...especially knowing that he knows that the pitcher knows that the pitcher is on deck. Follow that? Good.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Walk the pitcher on 10 pitches...at least one of which was a strike poorly framed by Santana. Give up bases loaded hit. 2 runs score. Game over.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Is it just my TV or is there a pixel missing on the bottom left of the screen whenever they use the 1B camera? For reference sake, when they show a RH hitter's stats it's just left of the overlay.

Driving me nuts, just a little white pixel.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 pm

0-14 with RISP. Can you say choke?

We just don't play well in really meaningful games. I hope they can grind this one out...the 8 man pen needs to help us out here.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:48 pm

How come both Pittsburgh and Baltimore could add talent? I realize the O's have higher waiver priority, just seems we aren't serious. I'll admit to being a casual baseball fan, mostly due to years of this type of inaction and the fades of recent years. Im open to being told why...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:48 am

Orenthal wrote:How come both Pittsburgh and Baltimore could add talent? I realize the O's have higher waiver priority, just seems we aren't serious. I'll admit to being a casual baseball fan, mostly due to years of this type of inaction and the fades of recent years. Im open to being told why...

If you realise the O's have the higher waiver priorty and we know they've put in claims for Morneau, Willingham and Morales amongst others then surely you know why the Indians haven't been more active?

Same applies with Pittsburgh, they may have a better record than the Indians but, the players they acquired were from a National League club and waiver priority goes worst-best record in your own division followed by worst-best in the other division - so, the Indians never had a shot at Byrd/Buck.

Now, if you wanna make an arguement that they should've done something before the waiver deadline then you might have a point but, when the asking price for a guy like Javier Lopez from San Fran was supposedly Danny Salazar, then you get an idea as to why they didn't!

For what it's worth though, it appears the Indians have just acquired Jason Kubel from the D'backs.

Let's hope the AL Central brings him back to life.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:22 pm

OK, finally have a minute to put this to bed. Tribe gets swept and I go 0-2. On Thursday had really good seats 23 rows behind home plate so I could witness the suckitude. Ubaldo and his non-fluid delivery has 1 hiccup and the game is over. Picture below is from our seats.
Tribe v Atl.jpg
You can almost taste the stench
Tribe v Atl.jpg (200.41 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
hebner20

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:00 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
Orenthal wrote:How come both Pittsburgh and Baltimore could add talent? I realize the O's have higher waiver priority, just seems we aren't serious. I'll admit to being a casual baseball fan, mostly due to years of this type of inaction and the fades of recent years. Im open to being told why...

If you realise the O's have the higher waiver priorty and we know they've put in claims for Morneau, Willingham and Morales amongst others then surely you know why the Indians haven't been more active?

Same applies with Pittsburgh, they may have a better record than the Indians but, the players they acquired were from a National League club and waiver priority goes worst-best record in your own division followed by worst-best in the other division - so, the Indians never had a shot at Byrd/Buck.

Now, if you wanna make an arguement that they should've done something before the waiver deadline then you might have a point but, when the asking price for a guy like Javier Lopez from San Fran was supposedly Danny Salazar, then you get an idea as to why they didn't!

For what it's worth though, it appears the Indians have just acquired Jason Kubel from the D'backs.

Let's hope the AL Central brings him back to life.

Thanks, I really didn't know wavier priority went in that sequence. As I said casual fan, but that makes much more sense.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB