Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Raffy Right's career probably over...

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Raffy Right's career probably over...

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:15 pm

When he was put on waivers there were several folks on Twitter commenting that the Tribe should make a move to get him. That evening he tore his UCL and will now, most likely, retire.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/r ... -over.html

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that a Monday MRI revealed the worst-case scenario for Rockies closer Rafael Betancourt: a complete tear of his right ulnar collateral ligament that will likely put an end to his 11-year Major League career.

For the time being, Betancourt will receive a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow with the faint hope that it will help to form scar tissue that will allow him to pitch again. Should that method fail, Betancourt is likely to retire rather than undergo Tommy John surgery at this stage of his career.

Betancourt, who will turn 39 next April, has been a force in Colorado's bullpen since coming over from the Indians in a trade back in 2009. With the Rockies, he's tallied a 3.08 ERA with 9.0 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and a pristine 1.007 WHIP. He's totaled 646 1/3 innings of 3.19 ERA ball with well over a strikeout per inning in a strong Major League career.

Rockies manager Walt Weiss described Betancourt as a "warrior" after talking with him following the MRI, and Renck writes that he's seen few players prepare harder for each day than Betancourt:

“That’s because I could take nothing for granted. Every day I had to prove myself,” said Betancourt, a converted minor-league infielder. “I wasn’t going to leave anything to chance.”

Betancourt's contract contains a $4.25MM mutual option that will obviously be declined, earning him a $250K buyout. Including that buyout, Betancourt will have earned roughly $23.3MM throughout his career when all is said and done.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Raffy Right's career probably over...

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:48 pm

As slow as Raffy Right works that thing will heal itself over the course of two hitters.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:As slow as Raffy Right works that thing will heal itself over the course of two hitters.

Get the surgery and bring him back for the old timer's game at Progressive Field next summer. Send him up to face Hargrove and he'll be golden before the end of the at bat.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm

I know nothing can replace TJ surgery if there is a tear and that's what's needed. But the PRP got me thinking...how insane is it that a dude like Raffy, or anyone else trying to battle back from an injury, isn't allowed (and is in fact vilified) to use any medical treatment up to an including steroids and HGH to heal and prolong their career? Not only should it be allowed, but under the care of a physician it should be readily available and encouraged for these guys. I just don't understand the rationale.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Hilarious to see people like Lastoria touting an addition of Betancourt. Stats tell you a lot about pitchers and the state of their arms.

Betancourt 2011:
Avg FB velo: 92.3
Zone% (BIS/pf/x): 50.4 (down from 54.4)/59.7
K/BB: 9.13 (1.16 BB/9)
SwStr%: 12.8 (down from 15.7)

2012:
Avg FB velo: 91.4
Zone%: 49.4/57.2
K/BB: 4.75 (1.87 BB/9)
SwStr%: 12.0

2013:
Avg FB velo: 89.9
Zone%: 45.9/51.2
K/BB: 2.45 (3.45 BB/9)
SwStr%: 9.4

This has been coming for a while now. A lot of innings in that arm. Drop in velo + drop in control = injury. Was the least surprising news of the past few weeks to me.

Sucks for Betancourt, though. Hell of a career in his specialized role. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in the Indians organization as some sort of bullpen coach/pitching coach next season.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:10 pm

I personally think it's hilarious to see people like Lastoria talking about anything they know nothing about. Want an alphabetical listing of minor league players, their hometowns, year they were drafted and favorite pie flavor? He's your guy. He's got a lot of passion for it and can give you that with some level of quality.

And I mean that. He loves the stuff and works hard for that information and there's value in it to a degree.

But from an applied baseball standpoint, if you want anything other than idle speculation, rumors and baseless and poorly constructed opinions then you should probably look to someone (pretty much anyone) else. At some point you probably need to have been around the game as opposed to just trying to parrot someone else's thoughts about it.

Opinions are fine. Opinions and analysis are great. Opinions couched as facts or insight or insider info are insincere, dishonest and worthless.

Beware of Insiders who ain't.

skatingtripods wrote:Hilarious to see people like Lastoria touting an addition of Betancourt. Stats tell you a lot about pitchers and the state of their arms.

Betancourt 2011:

2012:

2013:

This has been coming for a while now. A lot of innings in that arm. Drop in velo + drop in control = injury. Was the least surprising news of the past few weeks to me.

Sucks for Betancourt, though. Hell of a career in his specialized role. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in the Indians organization as some sort of bullpen coach/pitching coach next season.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:26 pm

peeker643 wrote:Beware of Insiders who ain't.

But...but... his website has Insider in the title.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:15 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Beware of Insiders who ain't.

But...but... his website has Insider in the title.

Dead giveaway, right? I'd bet 95% of people calling themselves 'Insiders' are desperate-to-be-somebody-in-a-game-they-didn't-play wannabes.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Can't Raffy just cut his right arm off and try throwing lefty?
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Can't Raffy just cut his right arm off and try throwing lefty?

Crazy talk.

Much easier to cut his elbow out and reattach the forearm to the bicep area. Then he would not have to learn how to throw with the other arm.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:16 pm

pup wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:Can't Raffy just cut his right arm off and try throwing lefty?

Crazy talk.

Much easier to cut his elbow out and reattach the forearm to the bicep area. Then he would not have to learn how to throw with the other arm.

And it would be confusing with two 'Raffy Lefts' out there.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:35 pm

I gotta say, Raffy was a pretty damn interesting guy to watch when he was here. Guy ran that fastball up there 92 and straight as an arrow - and hitters reacted to it like it was 99. Couldn't figure out on the TV why this was so, but it was pretty obvious that from the batters box guys weren't picking the ball up right away.

I understand there was a good chance they were bored silly by the time the pitch came, but it was more than that.

So long, funnyman.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:58 pm

23 Million is a nice haul.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:19 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Hilarious to see people like Lastoria touting an addition of Betancourt. Stats tell you a lot about pitchers and the state of their arms.

Betancourt 2011:

2012:

2013:

This has been coming for a while now. A lot of innings in that arm. Drop in velo + drop in control = injury.

Or it could have been the fact that he was 37, 38 and 39 years old those three seasons? Age has a way of catching up pretty quick, just ask CC Sabathia...

Did Matt Harvey show any signs that his arm injury was imminent?
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Wait, didn't I read something about that in the Cavs forum about TT?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:50 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:Did Matt Harvey show any signs that his arm injury was imminent?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-odds ... king-down/

Not particularly, though he did have a velo drop over his last few starts.

Age is a factor, but pitchers generally show velo drops and control issues prior to an elbow or shoulder injury. That's just simple common sense.

Changes in release point are also evidence. Pitchers trying to find an arm slot that doesn't hurt as much. Also explains the command and velo issues.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB