Text Size

College Sports Arena

2013 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:33 pm

I can't think of a single offensive game breaking freshman either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Tr92oEiEM

In all seriousness, I hate watching Clarrett highlights. Watching all that wasted potential is soul crushing. His freshman year is as impressive as any that I have ever seen for a power back. In retrospect, I remember the power, but I forgot about his top end speed and vision. It is pretty apparent when you see him outrunning DBs with angles in that video. His vision was off the charts too.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:34 am

furls wrote:I can't think of a single offensive game breaking freshman either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Tr92oEiEM

In all seriousness, I hate watching Clarrett highlights. Watching all that wasted potential is soul crushing. His freshman year is as impressive as any that I have ever seen for a power back. In retrospect, I remember the power, but I forgot about his top end speed and vision. It is pretty apparent when you see him outrunning DBs with angles in that video. His vision was off the charts too.

Mo + head on straight = Hershel.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:05 pm

I just finished my weekly talk to my father call:

we did the sports circle, I made him watch Dontre's film with me on the phone.

Dontre will be the first step.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:45 am

time to unpin this page?
jb

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:24 pm

jb wrote:time to unpin this page?

I was thinking about it, but it seemed like an appropriate place to keep the chatter about the new freshman through the beginning of the season. Also seems like a good place to keep the rumors about, "XXXX is blowing up camp at position YYY." Once we get a couple of games under our belts, I'll let it slide down.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:42 pm

This is like Furls tenth excuse for not unpinning this threads. The real story is that Furls just really, really likes the 2013 class and wants to relive that class on the daily. Duh.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:This is like Furls tenth excuse for not unpinning this threads. The real story is that Furls just really, really likes the 2013 class and wants to relive that class on the daily. Duh.

Well that is also true. I will not deny it. The 2013 class is seriously the best class I can remember at OSU. I really liked 2008, but 2013 is a home run at nearly every position (at least on paper at this point). The only notable exceptions are OL and maybe one more LB would have been nice, but Darron Lee is likely to end up there. I just don't see many kids in the class that have bust written all over them. Matter of fact, I know that the entire class cannot be successful (23/23 or even 12 or 13/23 is just not reasonable).

That said, it is probably worth keeping the freshman hype mostly constrained to this thread. Early studs thus far:

Wilson
Marshall
Elliot
Bosa
Hill
Conley
Apple
Bell
Mitchell

Some other guys look like surefire future based on their first camps contributors (maybe not immediate):
Lisle
Price
Baugh
Clark (recently called, "Serviceable" by Meyer)
JT Barrett
Tyquan Lewis

That is not to say the others look like busts, but these are the guys that we are hearing a lot about and drawing early positive reviews from their peers and coaches.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Concur.

This looks to be the class that "Urbanizes" the program.

I just hope they see the field early.

Sky's the limit after 2 / 3 more of these.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Five scholarship players with their black stripes removed right now:

First two were Dontre and Mike Mitchell; next two were EZ-E and Bosa; today Cam Burrows.

For those that forget, all freshman in Meyer's program get a black stripe across the red stripe on their helmets and they aren't part of the program until that stripe is gone.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 pm

2014 just got better with Curtis Samuel. That class has a shot at being #1 in the country if Meyer pulls a couple of late signing period miracles (Prince and maybe Solomon Thomas) and lands the rest of the guys he is expected to ('Kwon, Lattimore, Smith etc.)

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:16 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:For those that forget, all freshman in Meyer's program get a black stripe across the red stripe on their helmets and they aren't part of the program until that stripe is gone.

Thanks Mister Wizard.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:13 pm

As was long rumored, Billy Price is now an OL.

JT Moore is also now a TE.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Price was one of those guys that could do anything, I think he becomes a devastating, athletic guard.

So JT Moore will steal 3rd team reps from a different part of the squad? Does that mean he sits on a different part of the bench during games now? He wasn't going to get run at DE and I seriously doubt he gets any at TE, but with Blake Thomas injured... who knows.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:11 pm

IIRC both Greene and Givler thought he had elite potential at OL whereas he was just a very good DL prospect (in their eyes and stuff).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:43 pm

I saw Price as a Mike Bennett type recruit. The kind of guy that could be DOMINATING on the OL or "just" very good on the DL. 3 years ago, there is no doubt, he is a DT. With the guys they are getting at DT, it just makes too much sense to put him at Guard where he can excel.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:43 pm

Unstickied by popular demand.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:22 pm

A lot of chatter about Evan Lisle looking really good, fwiw.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:A lot of chatter about Evan Lisle looking really good, fwiw.

Hope so because the 2014 OL is downright scary. Lisle did well in camps against elite guys last year, so I am optimistic. There is alot of talk about Mavety coming right in a strolling into the LT job, but I am not sure I am buying that. He is a JUCO player, it is not like he is coming off a successful sophomore year at USC or something.

I think next year's OL looks something like this R to L: Decker Price Boren Elflein Lisle. I find it more likely that Lisle will be ready than a guy from JUCO. Dodson may make an impact in there somewhere too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena