Text Size

No Holds Barred

Sups and sorts

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Sups and sorts

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 pm

My dilemma.

I made some long overdue life adjustments about a year and a few months ago. As a result I not only no longer miss triple plays, but I've also dropped about 50 pounds. Got as low as 2 bills but couldn't sustain the lifestyle for two reason. First was that I had to be carb/fat psycho and I've concluded that life is unlieable in the mahoning valley without italian food out once/week and I also want to also get stupid at taco bell or handels with the kids about 2 - 3 times / month. So I'm at equalibrium of about 210 - 215. But even with dialing it back some my body can't take the sustained pounding of 2 hours / day at the gym. Even 2 every other day has me walkin like as if Fred sanford.

I'm 47 and put in about 20 - 25 miles / week in 5 mile/ day increments and lift major muscle groups mostly on those free weight Hoist machines. I know what I am and am not. I aint't trying to beat the Newton Falls bench pressing record on video but you also gotta push to get any results at all. I 'm finding that the Middle Aged Man frame is struggling and my recovery time seems to be longer and longer.

So I'm making the fatal mistake of asking you goofy jack holes if you have any advice. I drink protein with amino acids dailey but is there a better, legal, regiman to help with recovery nutrition out there for an old fuck like me?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sups and sorts

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:45 pm

jb wrote:My dilemma.

I made some long overdue life adjustments about a year and a few months ago. As a result I not only no longer miss triple plays, but I've also dropped about 50 pounds. Got as low as 2 bills but couldn't sustain the lifestyle for two reason. First was that I had to be carb/fat psycho and I've concluded that life is unlieable in the mahoning valley without italian food out once/week and I also want to also get stupid at taco bell or handels with the kids about 2 - 3 times / month. So I'm at equalibrium of about 210 - 215. But even with dialing it back some my body can't take the sustained pounding of 2 hours / day at the gym. Even 2 every other day has me walkin like as if Fred sanford.

I'm 47 and put in about 20 - 25 miles / week in 5 mile/ day increments and lift major muscle groups mostly on those free weight Hoist machines. I know what I am and am not. I aint't trying to beat the Newton Falls bench pressing record on video but you also gotta push to get any results at all. I 'm finding that the Middle Aged Man frame is struggling and my recovery time seems to be longer and longer.

So I'm making the fatal mistake of asking you goofy jack holes if you have any advice. I drink protein with amino acids dailey but is there a better, legal, regiman to help with recovery nutrition out there for an old fuck like me?

This is one reason I love racquetball. Because I can run all day if I'm also competing in something. I know it's not for everyone but if you can find that competitive fill it sure makes doing whatever you do a bit more enjoyable and less of a commitment.

And I posted this somewhere here before and you'll have to trust me because it looks vile. But after your workout try this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/green-monster-smoothie-2/

My kids and Lisa love it as well and I use Almond Milk and fat free vanilla yogurt instead of regular milk. The natural peanut butter and the banana is all you taste but you're getting a lot of nutritional value with the rest of it. Great 'recovery' drink or as breakfast replacement.

And when I saw ya a couple weeks ago you looked great. You looked healthy.

The other thing we do is grill up a load of chicken every Sunday as well as make a huge amount of brown rice. We eat it all week long. We'll it the chicken in salads, on the rice, in stir fry and we go with a ton of rice and black bean burritos on whole wheat tortillas. Add more chicken to it when we so choose.

I've found for me it's all about variety and preparation and that keeps you on the 80/20 in regard to eating what you should and eating what you crave.

Stay with it and find ways to get the kids into it too. That helps a lot.

ETA- Use the ice that recipe says is optional. I also add ground flax seed to mine now for Omega-3s and for the other benefits of flax seed and there's no taste to same.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:36 pm

No. It's called being old. Drink lots of water and get good rest.

You could dunk yourself in a garbage can full of ice water after each workout, but short of that, recovery time is proportional to age.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:43 pm

I think you'll see that the advice you'll get here is the same as always, pretty solid and nothing extreme. Find the ideal balance for yourself, where you are comfortable weight wise with a comfortable amount of effort & exercise while still enjoying eating without being stupid about it.

Don't discount emotional balance as well. Don't over stress yourself mentally about some finer details, persistent and consistent can cure a lot of what you perceive as wrong with you, except of course your spelling. Your'e a lsot casue whrn it comes to dat.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm

jb wrote:My dilemma.

You did this before.

What happened to make you do it again?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby hebner20 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:13 pm

A couple of questions to ask yourself.

1) Why am I pounding my 47 year old 215 lb frame by running 20-25 miles week?
2) Why am I lifting weights to build muscle mass?
3) How much damage has already been done that I must live with and find a way to accept?

My thoughts on this as a person about to hit 50 and feels your pain is as follows:

You need a light frame and extra muscle mass might be macho but every pound of weight is 8 pounds of force on your joints. Stop lifting low reps and high weight and go to the opposite so you are toning and not building muscle. If you notice the retired NFL players that are smart they all drop weight/muscle and have a thin appearance.

Go to low impact exercise, yes running is what you know and like but you must adapt to the new reality. Find something to replace running. Unfortunately running is a very efficient way to burn calories. Also, don't forget to stretch. Stretching your hamstrings if nothing else will give you the best bang for your buck and even help a bad lower back.

Good luck with the recovery issue I think age and your damaged body is not going to let you do what you used to do. Better diet and changing to low impact might help especially if you are not beating yourself up by running on a heavy frame.

At this point I am sure you have given up going for personal bests. So ask yourself what does the new JB want out of his fitness?

Your post really hits home with me since I have been recently been dealing with knees with tendinitis and a bad hip coupled with aches and pains from whiplash and multiple bicycle wrecks. Mix that with some arthritis and what a cocktail my past is now making me drink.

My Doctor tells me that it is better to be worn out from lots of exercise than from weighing 400 pounds. My parents tell me all the time old age is not for the weak of heart. They are right and let's face it we are just now beginning to deal with it. I don't know yet what my answer is but whatever the answer is I will NOT give up the fight. Stay active and don't become a couch potato.

That is my best advice. If I were channeling CDT I would say to put a gun in your mouth and squeeze the trigger.

good luck.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Also if you don't have a bike, get a bike, and ride the bike. If you normally drive 2-3 miles round trip to do trivial errands in the hood, start riding the bike to do that.

FUDU

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:59 pm

hebner20 wrote: multiple bicycle wrecks.

Put the training wheels back on.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Congrats JB as a fat fuck coming up on my first 40 lbs. of weight loss I am hoping to get to that weight myself on a 6'1" frame. My wife is demanding it, with her in late-stage she wants me to be there a long time so the kids have one parent for a while. Right now, I am only walking and pitching batting practice to the kids for exercise, (don't laugh I get winded)... I have a whole set of bumpers and a power rack out there in the garage, and just wanted to get down a little before I start lifting again. That and this never ending fucking plantar fasciitis keeps me from wanting to start. I low-carb but like you that might not last, I am looking at Tim Ferris' Slow-Carb which gives you the one cheat day every saturday. So far I am fine but the way I've approached it is if there is some big event I'll eat what I want, flush and restart the next day and it hasn't hurt me at all. So making it once a week is probably fine but I do feel way better when I cut out the grains and sugar.

I'll throw this to the audience because maybe it's being too geeky, or really doesn't matter but....Hasn't it become pretty much the norm that distance running, combined with lifting in the major muscle groups kind of counter-act each other? A lot of more recent literature is saying that a lower impact walking regimen is probably just as good, and won't result in any wasting on the muscle where you never really get the kind of growth and strength you otherwise could. Or that the 5 mile run might be weakening the overall system such that your body is having a hard time recovering from the weights. For kicks you might want to consider giving up the running for a couple of weeks and see how your recovery goes.

Another possibility is to run some short sprints instead of putting in the distance. Start off slow and replace some of your distance running workouts with sprint workouts. This guy offers the advice of only doing it once a week until you start to get a little stronger/better. He's just one guy I googled, but you can find a ton of stuff on HIIT, and there are many programs that say just do 8X60s with full rest between each one and call it day. This guy is just saying start slowly with sprints.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-we-d ... z2YDH0D0VI
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby hebner20 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
hebner20 wrote: multiple bicycle wrecks.

Put the training wheels back on.

These were mainly during races and I was caught up in someone else's wreck that was unavoidable. It's not like i fall on my own waving at someone or losing it in loose gravel. Never mind.
hebner20

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:23 am

dmiles wrote:Congrats JB as a fat @#!*% coming up on my first 40 lbs. of weight loss I am hoping to get to that weight myself on a 6'1" frame. My wife is demanding it, with her in late-stage she wants me to be there a long time so the kids have one parent for a while. Right now, I am only walking and pitching batting practice to the kids for exercise, (don't laugh I get winded)... I have a whole set of bumpers and a power rack out there in the garage, and just wanted to get down a little before I start lifting again. That and this never ending @#!*% plantar fasciitis keeps me from wanting to start. I low-carb but like you that might not last, I am looking at Tim Ferris' Slow-Carb which gives you the one cheat day every saturday. So far I am fine but the way I've approached it is if there is some big event I'll eat what I want, flush and restart the next day and it hasn't hurt me at all. So making it once a week is probably fine but I do feel way better when I cut out the grains and sugar.

I'll throw this to the audience because maybe it's being too geeky, or really doesn't matter but....Hasn't it become pretty much the norm that distance running, combined with lifting in the major muscle groups kind of counter-act each other? A lot of more recent literature is saying that a lower impact walking regimen is probably just as good, and won't result in any wasting on the muscle where you never really get the kind of growth and strength you otherwise could. Or that the 5 mile run might be weakening the overall system such that your body is having a hard time recovering from the weights. For kicks you might want to consider giving up the running for a couple of weeks and see how your recovery goes.

Another possibility is to run some short sprints instead of putting in the distance. Start off slow and replace some of your distance running workouts with sprint workouts. This guy offers the advice of only doing it once a week until you start to get a little stronger/better. He's just one guy I googled, but you can find a ton of stuff on HIIT, and there are many programs that say just do 8X60s with full rest between each one and call it day. This guy is just saying start slowly with sprints.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-we-d ... z2YDH0D0VI

Some key points here JB. As DMiles suggests, you'll get MUCH MORE in regard to weight loss with interval cardio. You gotta stagger your heart rate to jump start your metabolism, plus you'll get longer lasting effects post cardio. Slogging thru a 5-6-7.....mile run ain't gonna do as much as say 20 minutes, 3 times a week of an interval program. And it can be done on a bike if the running is pounding you too much.

Also as DMILES points out, cardio will ALWAYS take over in the battle between strength training and cardio, (Why damn near every sprinter is built like a BSH, and damn near every marathoner could blow away in a breeze) and in regards to weight loss (and age in your case) you don't want this, cause you're lifting for weight loss.

And if you are lifting and cardioing YOU NEED CARBS. Can't work out efficiently without em'. America has issues with THE KIND OF CARBS THEY CONSUME, and to a lesser degree, when they consume them. You can show me a hundred overweight people that eat too many potato chips. Show me the fat ass that got that way from eating too many bananas. (In Disneyland this week. The American kids are snacking in the park on cheddar filled pretzels, chips and hot dogs. The Mexican kids on churros, and the chinese kids on fruit. Which country is in shape?)

When I get back I'll pm you a few things to looks at, but I'll say this, for weight loss, if you're pounding the weights for more than an hour, or doing cardio for more than a 1/2 - it's too long.

Diet are nonsense. You can still have Italian food and other stuff you like. It's not what you do some of the time, it's what you do most of the time. There is solid pyshiological theory behind "cheat days" and even "cheat weeks." It's unrealistic to say you'll never have your favorite foods again, so don't.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:19 am

All good stuff especially the long cardio counter-acting resistance training. The only fallacy I saw, from what I have read, is "low weight, high reps". Sorry Hebner, but this is just a waste of time.

Some other things to consider
Have your testosterone level checked
Fish oil
Protein intake in relationship to your body weight
Count calories - it can be a pain but with all of the mobile apps its much easier now. You only need to do it for a couple of weeks
Eat breakfast
Try swimming laps as opposed to running, but again too much cardio will override muscle growth
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks to all for your thoughtful advice.

Random replies/thanks in no particular order....

Lee, two/three things happened. First, I beat the snot out of my foot and couldn't run anymore about 4 years ago. Multiple needles, an MRI, and still couldn't pinpoint the issue & fix it. I think it has the classic signs of Morton's neuroma and I feel like I'm walking on a pebble 24/7 but docs couldn't find it. So I blew up weight-wise partially due to that. Now I have to eliptical. I kinds feel like a pussy but alternatives are few. Fuck swimming. It does turn your glutes into rocks and hammy into bridge cables with enough incline and resistance and is a good workout but i still feel like a chick doing it. The other, main, reason? You're a smart guya nd I gave you the clue. You figure it out. ;-) You've spent time with me. LOL.

My fitness goals Ricthie? Same as any other 47 year old man. I want to look like Antonio banderas. LOL. I said I'm good with statis at 210 ish altho I'd love to be at 190 for resons of vanity, but the dietary restrictions to get there are too spartan to maintain. When I hit 215 that little warning flag goes up and I self-correct. Not obsessed with weight but know ideal. I don't have the frame to reduce to a distance runner. I am build like Fred Flintstone.

I'm a Bill Phillipps disciple. You have to push with heavier weights that fit just below max and max to get any benefit whether you're 17 or 70. So no colored dumbells for this guy. Low reps dont do anything and more importrantly the result of not lifting hard enough on me is man boobs. Unacceptable. Still, doesn't mean I'll have the new video of the Newton Falls bench pressing title on you tube anytime soon. IyamwhatIyam. I'm not overcomepnsating. Just trying to be healthy.

Peeker, I will try your spinich drink. Are you sure that isn't a gag to get me to puke though? I am doing as much high protein and low fat as I can but not always perfect and should do better. Too many garbage cards but I can't quit pasta and italian bread long-term. I start looking at pizza like Megan Fox & hayden panatierre in a hot tub after a month, and that's F'd up.

Mattvan, I know physiologically I'm losing T at my arc but IDK if I really want to F with MFNature that much. Side effects? I'm already feeling like I've gotten stupider over time from statins. But I am thinking about that if it is a fountain of youth quality of life wise. haven't had any more important issues that would really csue me to consider that, if you pick up what I lay down on that.

Since no one gave me much solid info about suppliments to shorten recovery time I'm now going black market for roids and HGH. I think I'll have more luck there. Off to the gym now. Too-a-loo motha fockas!
jb

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:14 pm

JB,

A couple more things to add. From your response, I am not sure you are willing to try something different and at this time you might have to. The reason why I asked about your fitness goals is to see what you are really looking for. I can't tell from your response but I am guessing that you just want to be able to have a decent amount of fitness to perform sports/activities at an "age appropriate" level and maybe wear your pants comfortably.

I think you need to start looking at activities as calorie burners. Focus on ones that you can do with regularity without beating yourself up. Again, think outside the box with low impact lower intensity to avoid pain and mental burnout. I don't mean you never do a high intensity workout but if your goal is weight control do stuff that you will stick with. I still believe that low weight high reps could give you the weight training that you are used to and burn calories and still train/tone the muscles. I am talking about a weight that you can do 4 set of 15 reps versus a heavier weight that you might do at 8 reps. I feel that will not be worthless as someone stated above but the lower intensity may make it easier to do consistently.

Also watch the fad diets and low carb nonsense. I have no idea how you can workout at any length of time on a low carb diet. You need that as fuel since you burn glycogen in your blood for the first 2 hours and then AFTER that you begin to burn fat stores. 90+% of the time you are going to be doing less than a 2 hour workout.

For dietary habits, focus on fat calories and the rest will fall in line. I find that I can stay at about 30% of calories from fat without too much trouble. Much below that I find it seems like a "diet". By default if you are at 30% fat calories you will be eating more in terms of actual weight you consume since carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. You can eat twice as much carbs and protein as fat since they are less packed with calories. (yes fats taste better I know) You probably already know this but if you can watch the fat that will help you keep at a level weight without feeling like you are on a diet.

You also mentioned statins, when I was really strict about my fat consumption I lowered my cholesterol from around 300 to 209. I shocked my doctor with this. I kept it that way for about a year or so but that was when I was really keeping fat intake low at 20%-25% and it wasn't sustainable. 30% is much more easy to do as mentioned above.

One final thing, maybe you can try a training partner or someone to hold you accountable with your eating and exercise habits. Just don't use your wife! Good luck old man.
hebner20

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:00 pm

hebner20 wrote:You also mentioned statins, when I was really strict about my fat consumption I lowered my cholesterol from around 300 to 209. I shocked my doctor with this. I kept it that way for about a year or so but that was when I was really keeping fat intake low at 20%-25% and it wasn't sustainable. 30% is much more easy to do as mentioned above.

I gave them up despite having a long, proud family history of most men on my dad's side not seeing much past 50. My dad didn't make it that far.

But when I started eating a LOT better and doing the Omega-3s I found that my numbers were better than taking statins and eating like shit. Never gonna be the picture of low cholesterol but I'm within normal levels when I was borderline or high before.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:55 pm

at the very least these are all well intended responses with some good information. I'll keep mine sinple. As the years go on, I've gone with more cardio, preferably swimming or biking. Gets the heart as well as all the major muscle groups. My 8 year old will join me for some of it, makes the time go by quicker. How she can bike, talk every single minute of it, but not sound winded as a skill that I want to have. As for power lifting, I will defer to Tree.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:17 pm

hebner20 wrote:JB,

A couple more things to add. From your response, I am not sure you are willing to try something different and at this time you might have to. The reason why I asked about your fitness goals is to see what you are really looking for. I can't tell from your response but I am guessing that you just want to be able to have a decent amount of fitness to perform sports/activities at an "age appropriate" level and maybe wear your pants comfortably.

I think you need to start looking at activities as calorie burners. Focus on ones that you can do with regularity without beating yourself up. Again, think outside the box with low impact lower intensity to avoid pain and mental burnout. I don't mean you never do a high intensity workout but if your goal is weight control do stuff that you will stick with. I still believe that low weight high reps could give you the weight training that you are used to and burn calories and still train/tone the muscles. I am talking about a weight that you can do 4 set of 15 reps versus a heavier weight that you might do at 8 reps. I feel that will not be worthless as someone stated above but the lower intensity may make it easier to do consistently.

Also watch the fad diets and low carb nonsense. I have no idea how you can workout at any length of time on a low carb diet. You need that as fuel since you burn glycogen in your blood for the first 2 hours and then AFTER that you begin to burn fat stores. 90+% of the time you are going to be doing less than a 2 hour workout.

For dietary habits, focus on fat calories and the rest will fall in line. I find that I can stay at about 30% of calories from fat without too much trouble. Much below that I find it seems like a "diet". By default if you are at 30% fat calories you will be eating more in terms of actual weight you consume since carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. You can eat twice as much carbs and protein as fat since they are less packed with calories. (yes fats taste better I know) You probably already know this but if you can watch the fat that will help you keep at a level weight without feeling like you are on a diet.

You also mentioned statins, when I was really strict about my fat consumption I lowered my cholesterol from around 300 to 209. I shocked my doctor with this. I kept it that way for about a year or so but that was when I was really keeping fat intake low at 20%-25% and it wasn't sustainable. 30% is much more easy to do as mentioned above.

One final thing, maybe you can try a training partner or someone to hold you accountable with your eating and exercise habits. Just don't use your wife! Good luck old man.

Richie/Arnie, I didn't mean to seem ungrateful for the advice or that I blew you off since I asked you not vice versa. But I asked for advice on recovery suppliments and you have the audacity ;-) to suggest that the answer may be in my program. This would, of course, require me to think differently and being stubborn this will take time to set in. It doesn't mean I'm not thinking about it or you're wrong. You just didn't tell me what I wanted to hear.

My goals are pretty standard stuff, I think.

First and foremost is weight control & cardio-vascular health for general well-being and quiality of life. IDK that I need to elaborate. I don't want to be on a slab at age 65 or be huffing and puffing just trying to do every day sorts. Given the damage I've done over years it's a blessing I'm in as good condition as I am. I'm obviously not trying to join the SR PGA or win the club tennis tourney. I'm not trying to improve athletic performance. I never had any real athletic talent anyway. LOL.

The second reason is the whole seratonin/enndomorph thing. You feel so much better and it clears my head. I need the quiet time with the headphones on. If I skip about 2/3 days that feeling leaves and I'm not in as good of a state without the release.

A third may be the mental challenge. I like days when all is in tune and I feel like I can push it for two, two-and-a-half quality hours. Some days people expect things out of me and I only have 90 minutes and do the best I can. I also like days when its all I can take to haul my catrcass out and I do it anyway and feel so much better that I pushed through the wall. I like the zen of the exersion. I like the days when I feel there's no way I can do it and I push through the early pain. Sometimes I think about the shitty things I've done in life and I'm Rodrigo pulling the armor up the waterfall just blowing out the existential carbon from the exhaust system of life, you know? So there's almost a spiritual aspect to all it for me. I have to do it.

I also have to be honest that a reason is vanity. I don't want to "wear the uniform". When you're in your 40's you hit a fork in the road as your metabolism starts to crawl and your testoterone production starts to lag. You can either be the 80% of suburban soccer dad dorks in the pleated dockers and polo shirt with the boiler or you can fight they dying of the light. I like Calvin Klein and Perry Ellis, not St John's Bay & haggar. I'm one of those cartoons whose second marriage is to a wife 14 years younger. She looks great and she has a petite hourglass figure and I don't want to embarrass her. I love her and she's not my trophy but I don't want people asking her if I'm her father. So I can take either fork in the road and shoot for channeling Dennis Quaid or James Gandofini. Those are my goals.

I don't diet and didn't. Diets are of course nonsense. But you can pursue various levels of discipline and balance. What I meant by being a carb nazi wasn't pure Atkins, but avoiding almost all garbage carbs and really even limiting "good carbs" to just before or after a work out. Sensible choices like a wrap instead of bread or even veggies over fruit. Measuring your servings of even brown rice and like Peeker noted alot of black beans or just passing all together to only grilled chicken or fish & veggies. High amounts of lean proteing and green veggies. I did this at first and shed pounds like sweat but personally have found this blows long-term and I want to have some fun, so my ability to be a spartan and live at 195 requires sacrifice I don't want to make. Too much love of pasta, italian bread, pizza and I'm an ice cream addict. So I try to basically to be like about 85/15 in my choices and not feel guity about the 15%. This means reality for me is stasis of about 210 - 215 with 215 being the sign I need to spartan up for a while. Breakfast & lunch are easy although I've mixed in fruit with some carbs. A couple 0 fat greek yogurts a day. High fiber low fat bars between meals. Quarts of water. Dinner I try to eat well for maybe 5 of 7 and when I say F it not do anything too idiotic. What I mean by that is steak or red sauce with pasta and meatballs are still a crapload better than the double bacon cheeseburger and 20 wings. peperoni, double chees pizz once a week is one thing I can't give up and rationalize life. That doesn't even address the cessation of the case of high APV beers chasing the martinis or makers mark before the vodka splash-a-sprite KO punch punctuating bags of doritoes.

I'm not any sort of fitness expert by like all of you I know enough to be dangerous from HS and I took the mandatory college class and paid attention. I've also read some books and like I wrote above the Bill Phillips basics seem the most logical to me. I've been at this for about 14 months now and find myself plateuing.

So there's your reset on goals since you asked.

I'm coming to the conclusion I may be doing TOO much cardio and should tone it down from hour plus cool down segments to 35 - 45 minute segments. The interval training suggestion is of course a fanstastic recoomendation, but psychologically I hate it. I like start with a warm up and ramp it up in segments to a crescendo at the finish.

Stretching is great advice and I do some but not enough. It's boring and you look stupid at the gym. Both are obviously quality decidion-making reasons. ;-)

When I lift I still shoot for the triangle of weights that involves muscle failure at the end. Generally I do about 4 sets. One to warm up with a decent amount of weight at 15 reps, a second that challenges for 10 or 12 reps, and as much as I can possibly lift to a quantity of 8 - 10 reps. I then go back to warm up weight and do as many as I can until I can't complete another rep, usually between 15 - 20 reps. I move onto another machine that works the same muscle group in a slightly different way until I'm 100% gassed on that group (eg. bench, incline bench, flys, military, out). I never try to max out with eigt on a single lift. I'm not 16 in my buddies' basement (or on a you tube video with Tree). I like free weights on machine for range of motion & safety. I never cheat and always go full range of motion of else I don't see the point. I don't have time to only work a specific muscle and always go for range. I'll also do some other things for core. That's about it.

I take a men's health daily from GNC and have a protein + amino acid and carb drink after workout and at start of day. I seem to need 3 days for recovery time now. My legs are two a days dead. I'd obviously like that to be 2 and even now I find the 3 days is limiting the intensity. Lately I'm finding that if I completely shut it down 1 week out of 8 I come back feeling much better. The challenge is the body starts to athrophy some after a day off and I'd like to avoid that, but as you say, maybe at my age that is unavoidable. I'd just love to bounce back more quickly. I'm looking to see if anyone uses anything that is legal to help that even at my advanced age.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Well your wife is a Steelers fan right, so the question remains, are you her father?

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:
hebner20 wrote:You also mentioned statins, when I was really strict about my fat consumption I lowered my cholesterol from around 300 to 209. I shocked my doctor with this. I kept it that way for about a year or so but that was when I was really keeping fat intake low at 20%-25% and it wasn't sustainable. 30% is much more easy to do as mentioned above.

I gave them up despite having a long, proud family history of most men on my dad's side not seeing much past 50. My dad didn't make it that far.

But when I started eating a LOT better and doing the Omega-3s I found that my numbers were better than taking statins and eating like shit. Never gonna be the picture of low cholesterol but I'm within normal levels when I was borderline or high before.

genetics make my numbers horrendous and I have to take them or my numbers look like bad Umbaldo. But I've struggled with th fish oil crap. The tablets make me gag. Any recoomendations of getting good omega 3's?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:26 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

genetics make my numbers horrendous and I have to take them or my numbers look like bad Umbaldo. But I've struggled with th fish oil crap. The tablets make me gag. Any recoomendations of getting good omega 3's?

Same place as I mentioned in my PM. Number of people I've gotten involved in that said the quality of the stuff is tremendous (and it is more expensive) but I've had people who can't deal with the tablets because they burp up fish taste all day say that the Omega3 from Advocare has no aftertaste.

Also, ground flax seed has similar properties. I put a tablespoon in that spinach drink every day for the same genetic reasons.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:41 pm

My opinion is there is nothing wrong with doing some spot stuff to lose stubborn fat.

Sure diets are bullshit but.... You are doing everything right. You are doing a damn good job and yet there is some stubborn shit you can't get rid of. You sound like you are willing to settle but that it's pissing you off and you want it gone. Internal conflict. I don't think you can ask your body to do much more.

If you haven't tried going into Keto to get rid of stubborn stuff, and you won't, that's fine but just realize there are a lot of very lean guru's who lean towards the 20-50g carbs per day and recommend lifting very heavy for low reps (See Robb Wolf). As much as NF guy is not your goal, the guy who is 180 deadlifting close to 600 lbs, is probably a little more healthy than people think (Not saying you have to post it all over the net).

Even if it's just for 2-3 months you might find some impressive gains, there is a good subreddit out there on keto, and all of the research is fairly positive. Diets might suck but maybe a short time period of changing stuff up will shock the body. On all the big lifts once you can do 5X reps of a lift, next session add weight.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:47 pm

As a guy who is literally too fat and out of shape to exercise I've been following this thread with great interest. I've yet to post because I have absolutely nothing of value to add. I offer this post only as encouragement to JB that he is not alone in the boat. Or rather, he is alone in the boat only because I'm trailing him on a raft hoping the wind blows me close enough to his boat that I can climb in. And I'm too out of shape to paddle. Been here for years with no change and no excuse. Shitty place to be, but tomorrow I start. Always

And Peek, I've got an email cued up for you for about a month or two, but for some reason I haven't hit send.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:02 pm

motherscratcher wrote:As a guy who is literally too fat and out of shape to exercise I've been following this thread with great interest. I've yet to post because I have absolutely nothing of value to add. I offer this post only as encouragement to JB that he is not alone in the boat. Or rather, he is alone in the boat only because I'm trailing him on a raft hoping the wind blows me close enough to his boat that I can climb in. And I'm too out of shape to paddle. Been here for years with no change and no excuse. Shitty place to be, but tomorrow I start. Always

And Peek, I've got an email cued up for you for about a month or two, but for some reason I haven't hit send.

I told ya: hit send and start. I'll walk you through every single day and in a month you'll feel a shitload better. In two months you'll wish you had started 6 months ago.

I'm not kidding. I'll walk you through it and it will change you for the better and set a great example for the rest of the family. And it ain't eating kelp and shit. It's real food. Just changing habits and disciplines.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:54 pm

JB,
The Guys who wrote "The New Rules of Lifting" (Alwyn Cosgrove/Lou Schuler) wrote an addition to the series a couple years ago called "The New Rules of Lifting for Life" - It is for those of us middle age and beyond. It is right down your current alley in regard to the questions you are asking, like the adjustments in nutrition, routines and recovery as you age. The Cosgroves are cutting edge, always up to date and, their workouts are have some similiar qualities to Phillips (all though modernized to total body, and ILO more effective). One of their original rules is "Break a personal record every time at the gym." They drive a point home that most of us "go too light."

Really fantastic series, and again, with what you've written up top, I think you will love the info.

Also, cardio recovery nutrition is different from the lifting recovery. Try to consume a 3/1 to 4/1 carb to protein ratio within an half hour of your cardio. The protein will be used to mend the muscles you've broken down during cardio, but you need the carbs to refuel your Glycogen stores.....lotta detail at this point, but to your particular query, if you wanna be ready for your next cardio workout AND HAVE THE ABILITY TO PERFORM IT WELL, and, as you mention, not feel like shit in between, this is a must. I suggest accomplishing this primarily through natural foods, and not so much on supplements. (I try to stay clear of the local GNC for two reasons 1. None of that shit is FDA approved, and with a list of ingredients as long as some of those products have, who the hell knows what you are consuming and 2. Even if you think I'm paranoid about number 1, there are several studies that have shown what those companies SAY are in their products, is often different then what is THERE. I still remember a fitness magazine giving an award to EAS products, because "they came the closest to having in their products what was on the label)

Anyway, here's by go to post cardio shake.

1 cup OJ
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup strawberries
1 scoop of vanilla whey
1/2 cup of oats (100% oats -one ingredient on the can)

Can't taste the oats. Fantastic.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby hebner20 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:01 pm

JB,

I just wrote a well crafted response(LOL)to your latest post but lost it when I went to submit and there is no draft. I will paraphrase. I did not intend for you to write out a long and detailed reply to me but just wanted you to think about doing things differently. I am also at a fork in the road and don't like that I might have to adjust to a new normal.

I sincerely wish you all the best in your quest to find a balance. :cheers:
hebner20

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:17 pm

motherscratcher wrote:As a guy who is literally too fat and out of shape to exercise I've been following this thread with great interest. I've yet to post because I have absolutely nothing of value to add. I offer this post only as encouragement to JB that he is not alone in the boat. Or rather, he is alone in the boat only because I'm trailing him on a raft hoping the wind blows me close enough to his boat that I can climb in. And I'm too out of shape to paddle. Been here for years with no change and no excuse. Shitty place to be, but tomorrow I start. Always

I agree with this.

mo has nothing to add.

In all seriousness though, I'm on the other side of the genetic scale so it can be hard to relate at times. I can eat all day everyday and not gain a LB yet maintain all those supposed important numbers like cholesterol, cardio #s etc.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:28 pm

You're not in the same boat because your fatness prevents it.

I kid.

Because I care.

Seriously though, best of luck and seems like a lot of good advice.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:01 pm

leadpipe wrote:JB,
The Guys who wrote "The New Rules of Lifting" (Alwyn Cosgrove/Lou Schuler) wrote an addition to the series a couple years ago called "The New Rules of Lifting for Life" - It is for those of us middle age and beyond. It is right down your current alley in regard to the questions you are asking, like the adjustments in nutrition, routines and recovery as you age. The Cosgroves are cutting edge, always up to date and, their workouts are have some similiar qualities to Phillips (all though modernized to total body, and ILO more effective). One of their original rules is "Break a personal record every time at the gym." They drive a point home that most of us "go too light."

Really fantastic series, and again, with what you've written up top, I think you will love the info.

Also, cardio recovery nutrition is different from the lifting recovery. Try to consume a 3/1 to 4/1 carb to protein ratio within an half hour of your cardio. The protein will be used to mend the muscles you've broken down during cardio, but you need the carbs to refuel your Glycogen stores.....lotta detail at this point, but to your particular query, if you wanna be ready for your next cardio workout AND HAVE THE ABILITY TO PERFORM IT WELL, and, as you mention, not feel like shit in between, this is a must. I suggest accomplishing this primarily through natural foods, and not so much on supplements. (I try to stay clear of the local GNC for two reasons 1. None of that shit is FDA approved, and with a list of ingredients as long as some of those products have, who the hell knows what you are consuming and 2. Even if you think I'm paranoid about number 1, there are several studies that have shown what those companies SAY are in their products, is often different then what is THERE. I still remember a fitness magazine giving an award to EAS products, because "they came the closest to having in their products what was on the label)

Anyway, here's by go to post cardio shake.

1 cup OJ
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup strawberries
1 scoop of vanilla whey
1/2 cup of oats (100% oats -one ingredient on the can)

Can't taste the oats. Fantastic.

This.

Buy the books (start with New Rules of Lifting) and follow them. Grounded in science but easy to understand. They make sense and your workouts will change evey 12 weeks to stimulate new muscle growth and prevent burnout.

After I read your routine I am willing to bet you are overtraining. And no magic potion will fix that.

Good luck
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:13 pm

I see 3 books:

The New Rules of Lifting
The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged
The New Rules of Lifting for Life

Is it worth getting all 3? Is the Supercharged book just for more advanced shit that I clearly don't need to worry about until possibly WAY down the road?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:18 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I see 3 books:

The New Rules of Lifting

Is it worth getting all 3? Is the Supercharged book just for more advanced shit that I clearly don't need to worry about until possibly WAY down the road?

If you are having difficulty getting started you might want to start with

http://www.amazon.com/Man-On-Top-Control-ebook/dp/B00AMLL96G
mattvan1

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 am

The New Rules of Lifting

Supercharged is advanced version of the program. So, you can wait to see how you like the others first.

I'm a big fan of the initial one, especially for people just starting out for the simple fact that ILO it's the finest book in regard to describing how to do moves correctly, with proper form. Frankly the last thing anyone wants to do is get fucking hurt. The talk on deadlifts, for example is worth the price of the book.

And, as I mentioned The New Rules for Life is fantastic for the 40/50 set.

FWIW I think the Cosgroves and Todd Durkin (along with Hetrick and others with TRX) are where it's at nowadays. FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH, balance, flexibility...these are the things that matter in real life. I recommend their stuff without reservation.

Lastly, both JB and Moscratch, Lou Schuler is right down your guys alley as a writer - really well written with touches of humor....you'll get value out of these books whether you buy in 100% or not. Also, the website message boards...post a question and you'll get an answer from one of the authors, so you don't have to rely on a hump named LeadPipe, or something, on a sports board.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:37 am

I have the first New Rules, and before my wife got sick we bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Definitely good stuff, and like Lead says, I found this stuff to be right on the cutting edge.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:02 am

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

They make 'em in gummies if you can't stand the tablets.

Or have your doc write you a script for prescription strength Omega 3's and gag them down less often.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:50 am

great advice & many thanks to all. In the tube for about 12 hours next week so I'll definately check out those books. I'm looking for something heavily scienced based and these sound great.

MoScra, Not only was I a big , bloated 255 when I started, I couldn't bench but 150. I also decided that taking up chain smoking as a hobby was a wise move. I had to ride the recumbant bike at first on like low, low I was such a mess and just do basically stretching reps on machines. It took me about 8 weejs to get up the stamina to really do anything that mattered and I just let it ride from there. You can totally turn where ever you are around no matterthe strating point. I'm never going back. One thing that really helped me was joining a club. It made me feel accountable to actually go and you can never have that good of equipment at home.

Having said trhat homeboy is on the raod in a few. hotel in walking distance from a Culvers. you know I'm smashing a butterburger & custard mix in like we the people.
jb

Unread postby hebner20 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 am

JB,

My last comment in this thread I promise.

Matt said he thought you might be overtraining based on the routine you listed and I concur (did not want to say anything because weights are not my area of expertise)

Anyway, in my fitness activity - bicycling, overtraining is a big problem and if you monitor your resting heart rate you can tell if you are overtraining or not. If you know your benchmark resting heart rate first thing in the morning and it is elevated say from 50 bpm to 60 or 70 bpm you are overtraining (or getting sick.) if you are constantly in over-train mode no wonder your recovery sucks. You might need to back off intensity and or add a rest day.
hebner20

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 am

Matt said he thought you might be overtraining based on the routine you listed and I concur (did not want to say anything because weights are not my area of expertise)

Anyway, in my fitness activity - bicycling, overtraining is a big problem and if you monitor your resting heart rate you can tell if you are overtraining or not. If you know your benchmark resting heart rate first thing in the morning and it is elevated say from 50 bpm to 60 or 70 bpm you are overtraining (or getting sick.) if you are constantly in over-train mode no wonder your recovery sucks. You might need to back off intensity and or add a rest day.

Thanks. I'm think I'm pretty much w/ in that range; high end.

Never tested full resting bpm but at strat of warm up I'm at 90. I hit 120 with intervals of maybe 130, on occasion 140 at the very end of a hard ending interval for a short perod of time. Most of the range is in 115 - 120 I think.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:53 am

jb wrote:

Thanks. I'm think I'm pretty much w/ in that range; high end.

Never tested full resting bpm but at strat of warm up I'm at 90. I hit 120 with intervals of maybe 130, on occasion 140 at the very end of a hard ending interval for a short perod of time. Most of the range is in 115 - 120 I think.

Hang on - re-read what Hebner wrote. He's not talking about your HR while exercising.

A good way to monitor your body's response to stress (recovery from physical activity, fighting off the flu....) is to know your normal resting HR and then watch for an increase as you ramp up the work. So next time you take time off (BTW, the Schuler books highly recommend taking one full week off at the end of every 8 or 12 week program) take your pulse first thing in the morning before you get out of bed. Do that every day and watch for elevated bpm as a sign your body is stressed more than normal.

Heavy legs are another indication of overtraining. Quality/amount of sleep plays a major role in receovery time also.
mattvan1

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 pm

jb wrote:So I'm making the fatal mistake of asking you goofy jack holes if you have any advice.

Slow down into something more sustainable or you're just going to burn yourself out, give up, and get fat(ter).

If all you did was the CDC-recommended minimum amount of exercise (which it appears you're already quadrupling or some crazy shit), you're as active as the most active 31% of self-reporting Americans, and most of those 31% are fucking liars. If all you do is demonstrate a little moderation in eating fast foods, snack foods, sodie pops, garbage processed foods, etc, which it sounds like you're already doing(?), then by my 100%-fabricated statistic, you're eating as healthy as the most healthy-eatinest 10% of Americans.

Why sweat it at that point? You're 47, and your name isn't George Clooney. Stacy Kiebler aint walkin through that door. It's unlikely that you're ever going to land that Calvin Klein underwear gig. Eat reasonably well, get a reasonable amount of exercise, and if all that gets you is fat, then shrug and be fat.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:30 pm

leadpipe wrote:

The New Rules of Lifting

Supercharged is advanced version of the program. So, you can wait to see how you like the others first.

I'm a big fan of the initial one, especially for people just starting out for the simple fact that ILO it's the finest book in regard to describing how to do moves correctly, with proper form. Frankly the last thing anyone wants to do is get fucking hurt. The talk on deadlifts, for example is worth the price of the book.

FWIW I think the Cosgroves and Todd Durkin (along with Hetrick and others with TRX) are where it's at nowadays. FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH, balance, flexibility...these are the things that matter in real life. I recommend their stuff without reservation.

Lastly, both JB and Moscratch, Lou Schuler is right down your guys alley as a writer - really well written with touches of humor....you'll get value out of these books whether you buy in 100% or not. Also, the website message boards...post a question and you'll get an answer from one of the authors, so you don't have to rely on a hump named LeadPipe, or something, on a sports board.

Just to update, I got New Rules and the follow up. I'm just starting it but so far it seems great. Almost seems like it might have been written specifically for my sorry ass. I really do think it will help.

Of course I've thought that kind of thing before. It's all in the implementation.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 am

motherscratcher wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

The New Rules of Lifting

Just to update, I got New Rules and the follow up. I'm just starting it but so far it seems great. Almost seems like it might have been written specifically for my sorry ass. I really do think it will help.

Of course I've thought that kind of thing before. It's all in the implementation.

Mo,
It WILL help. If you follow the program and nutrition chapter. Guaranteed.

The science is there at this point. It's why several of the programs used professionally - for example about every sports team, pro and college, on GGE have programs with waaaay more similarities then differences.

The reason "diet" book sales are huge every year is cause people are looking for magic dust. They don't want to work a little bit, they want it easy.

But, if you follow a legit program such as "New Rules" it will absolutely work, anytime, for anyone. Confirmed science says so.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:49 pm

At the 2013 halfway point and down 50 lbs. Most of that probably 30-35 lbs. has been really since my kid's graduation in late May. He's getting ready for baseball, working his tail off in the garage, and wanted to shed. So he had momma buying all this beef, chicken, broccoli and spinach. Made it pretty easy for me to stick to everything, I just had her make double of whatever he wanted. Strictly Keto. There is a good sub-reddit on it. Tons of stuff out there really. No lifting yet, just walking the dog hard every night and whatever burn I get pitching batting practice in the cage.

JB you might want to check out Dr. Peter Attia's blog, he was working hard like you are, and just couldn't lose the last part of the gut. If nothing else something to investigate, but he trimmed down to about a 31-inch waist, and ended up losing 40 lbs. Interesting guy for sure, graduated from Stanford, residency and work at Johns Hopkins, trained in Oncology I think, and then got into this studying of metabolic syndrome stuff full-time. He was on Ted Talks about a month or two ago as well.

Just throwing it out there, I know, I know diets are BS, but damn I feel good. Of course you weren't an obese fvck like I was so obviously I feel good. I got pretty bad there, so different strokes for different folks. I figure I'll post this now and see what happens in 6 months or so (did I stick it out, plateau, keep it going...whatever)
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:23 pm

I just ate my weight in brisket in Texas and have been spotty at the gym the past 2 weeks, so oervertraining is no longer a concern of mine.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 pm

jb wrote:I just ate my weight in brisket in Texas and have been spotty at the gym the past 2 weeks, so oervertraining is no longer a concern of mine.

Where in Texas?
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:20 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jb wrote:I just ate my weight in brisket in Texas and have been spotty at the gym the past 2 weeks, so oervertraining is no longer a concern of mine.

Where in Texas?

That place in Texas where they serve brisket... duh.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm

peeker643 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Where in Texas?

That place in Texas where they serve brisket... duh.

Hey, I know that place!
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:05 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

Where in Texas?

Big D.

I don't go to Houston. Too close to New Orleans.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:08 pm

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Where in Texas?

Big D.

Ahh...the place in Dallas in Dallas that serves brisket. I know that place.

There still Katrina evacuees squatting in Houston hotels?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 am

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Where in Texas?

Big D.

Ahh...the place in Dallas in Dallas that serves brisket. I know that place.

There still Katrina evacuees squatting in Houston hotels?

Proud to say they have been assimilated into the Houston community. Many schools needed to extend the number of in-service days for teachers so that our educators could be taught the Cajun language, however.
mattvan1

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 am

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Where in Texas?

Big D.

I really think nobody got the reference, jb. Or they just let it slide....They just won't let you be....
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:51 pm

BTW JB your thread inspired me to pull the trigger on a home gym instead of wasting money on a gym membership.

FUDU

Next

Return to No Holds Barred