Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians Extend Ryan Raburn

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Indians Extend Ryan Raburn

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:02 pm

2 + option for Raburn. 4.85M.

Not a fan.
Last edited by skatingtripods on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Indians Extend Ryan Raburn

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Why the urgency for this? I hope they are talking to Kazmir already too.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:27 pm

It's market value (sadly) for a player like Raburn, but what are the chances he has continues to produce? He's on the downside of his career at 32, he has nearly doubled his career WAR this season (2.6 prior to this season, 2.5 this season), and his HR/FB and walk rates are so far away from his career averages that there's no way they continue.

I'd rather have spent $4.85M on a decent middle reliever for when Joe Smith walks.

It's the true Indians way, though. Try to find cheap value any way you can. If Raburn repeats a 2 WAR season at 2.25M, then you got great value. If he goes back to being a 0.5 WAR player, it's a waste of money on a utility guy. He'll probably fall somewhere in between and it won't be the worst contract in the world, but it won't be very productive either.

I don't hate it as much as I thought I would now that I've crunched the numbers (and posted them here: http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... -extension) but I think it's a waste of resources when we're already doling out a lot of raises and I can't see a 90M+ payroll.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Seems like he's the kind of guy Francona wants on this team. With the budget as tight as it is and is going to be, it's a little concerning to see that kind of money doled out, but at least it isn't that much, all things considered. Won't be impossible to get out from if he tanks at some point.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Pabo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:27 pm

It's better than a five-year/$75M extension for Reynolds, which they probably were contemplating around May Day.
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:56 pm

I have seen far worse contracts paid out in the last 10 years. Seems like it's a decent/price for the Raburns of the world.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:05 pm

I think he has more value 'cause he's a super utility guy and will provide great insurance in case anyone get hurt. I know Yan is locked in. Is Aviles?

And yes...I'd really like to see KaZmir sign a similar deal (more money obviously).
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 pm

bookelly wrote:I think he has more value 'cause he's a super utility guy and will provide great insurance in case anyone get hurt. I know Yan is locked in. Is Aviles?

And yes...I'd really like to see KaZmir sign a similar deal (more money obviously).

Aviles signed a 2-year deal shortly after the Tribe got him, so he's signed through next year and they have an option for 2015.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:32 am

So that means you really only have one bench spot and Reynolds replacement this offseason. Unless they keep Giambi which they may just do. You do have the luxury of two catchers who should play most of the time so that frees up a bench spot.

And Smith walks. Unless we pay him. And KaZmir too in the same boat. So...drop Ubaldo, use the money to sign KaZmir. Then trade Droobs for a RH power bat to replace Reynolds. Use that money to lock up other guys and pay out the pay raises due to the Arby guys. Simple. QED.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:26 am

bookelly wrote:Then trade Droobs for a RH power bat to replace Reynolds.

Who the hell is going to do that?

Like I said, it's not the worst contract they've ever given out. I just don't like it.

I think they have to be considering Swisher in RF/DH, Santana at 1B/DH, Gomes everyday C for next season. They're trending that way of late. Gomes is getting a very extended look. In part because he's consistently doing something to help the team win, but I think it's also an audition for him. If that is the case, Stubbs may be your other bench guy if Swisher's your everyday RF. Personally, he doesn't look like he can handle it anymore, which would be a concern.

In my perfect world, they just make Santana a DH where he belongs. I know his batting value as a C is far superior to his batting value as a DH or 1B, since he's merely an average hitter at those two positions, but he's a horrible fielder at both positions. He's -12 defensive runs saved as a C this season. Yan Gomes is +5. A difference of 17 defensive runs saved from the catcher position is very significant.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 am

I'm with you. Seems like that's the way our lineup is trending, and I like it. It seems like over the past several years, we've often been in the position with Victor and now Santana where we have an offensive-minded catcher and not a half-bad backup clamoring for more playing time. Till now, I've said as well that the offensive value wouldn't be as productive if we move the regulars to first or DH, but that was until Gomes really emerged this year. Great catcher, good bat...we've really got something here. Make him the full time guy and see what happens. Hell, who knows...maybe if Santana just focuses on hitting, he'll improve in that area and we'll see more "traditional" first base or DH production from him, anyway.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB