Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

This Thread is 100% Riley Cooper and Brandon Weeden Free

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: This Thread is 100% Riley Cooper and Brandon Weeden Free

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:06 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:^ STILL TOO STUPID TO GET THAT THIS ISN'T ABOUT MAKING THE NBA OR MLB "MORE" POPULAR

FUCK ME WITH A GAWD DAMN RUSTY SPOON

C0r2k3y you need to learn how to read and grasp the simple concept that any and all replies you cannot comprehend or do not agree with are not directed at anything your retarded ass said.

Fewer games means fans will often feel those games are more of a necessity to watch or attend.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Never said this would be an uplifting thread.....

Why your team sucks: Only in Cleveland. ONLY in Cleveland would the new owner be a minority Steelers owner who turned out to be a fucking crook. Not only is Jimmy Haslam a crook, but his company of truck driver handjob emporiums is a whopping FOUR BILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT. Oh my fucking God! Are his truck stops built out of fucking platinum? This man isn't even an effective crook. The feds are so far up Haslam's ass that his dad might be called in to run the team. Jimmy Haslam's father, you should note, is 82 years old. You get a crook AND you get Ralph Wilson all in one!

The Browns are so colossally fucked up that they stand as a monument to more than just football incompetence. They are a living allegory of EVERYTHING WRONG WITH AMERICA. Here's Roger Goodell, who is a glorified errand boy, defending Haslam despite the fact that the feds have said Haslam knowingly defrauded other companies out of millions of dollars:

"Jimmy Haslam is a man of great integrity," Goodell said, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "We're proud to have him as an owner in the NFL and think he's going to be a great owner for the Cleveland Browns and their fans here. [...] We actually hold ownership to a higher standard and management. I think we've proven that in what we've done."
Everything Goodell has said here, from beginning to end, is a breathtaking lie. It's amazing, really. To think that you can buy a billion-dollar football team with money that you probably don't have, and then have the commissioner of the NFL prop you up because the league can't ever admit in public that it's dealing in some seriously shady shit. Isn't that remarkable? If you know the right people, you don't even have to be rich to be rich in this country. You can just go billions of dollars into debt and then have everyone keep you afloat because they don't want to go down with you. What a complete and utter fucking disgrace. I hope Jimmy Haslam gets sent to Elkton, and I hope Roger Goodell is assigned to do cafeteria duty with him.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2013-cleveland-browns-1052726045
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:31 pm

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:04 pm

LOL at that WAAAHFEST about Mangini.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:10 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:30 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Baseball is in a really weird spot.

Nationally no one cares to watch random games but the regional aspect is driving enough money that they are still rich as hell.

IMO, baseball is the one sport that needs to be seriously worried what will happen when the Baby Boomers finally die. The average age of people watching the WS the last few years is so old it is terrifying.

Baseball has a ton of problems to deal with. For one thing, it's summer and people do shit. For another, a lot of people think it's boring. Gaps in football are filled by replays of every single play. Baseball, there's more downtime. Not to mention, football is one or two days a week for the NFL and two or three for CFB. Baseball is every single night for six months. So much burn out. Plus, it overlaps NBA/NHL and CFB/NFL/NHL/NBA. The months where baseball is the only thing on, especially when network shows have finished their seasons, people are sitting out on the patio, taking the kids for ice cream, etc. Furthermore, baseball is at night. The Browns play at 1 and you have the rest of your day and there's nothing on. Ohio State plays at noon, you have the rest of the day and there's nothing on. The Indians play at 7 and you have plans or are watching something else.

I love baseball, but I realize how vastly different it is to be at the game as opposed to watching it on TV. It doesn't stop me from watching it. Frankly, I love watching CFB because, except for who I bet on, I generally don't give a shit who wins. It's relaxing and stress-free. Not so much with the Indians.

I don't think there's anything that can be done about baseball. Too many things out of the game's control.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:07 am

The Browns play at 1 and you have the rest of your day and there's nothing on. Ohio State plays at noon, you have the rest of the day and there's nothing on.

Except all those other football games. Saturdays you can find a decent CFB game on about 8 channels all day long.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 am

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on here about what keeps the NFL so popular, is video games. You have a whole generation(the younger one, not the baby boomers)of people who may or may not have ever worn shoulder pads but know the difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4 because of Madden.

I equate this to how the Baby Boomers fell in love with baseball because growing up they spent all there time on the sandlot. Well Gen Y and Gen X did not spend their youth outside, they spent it exposing themselves to football on their Nintendo's, Xbox's, and playstations.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:31 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
The Browns play at 1 and you have the rest of your day and there's nothing on. Ohio State plays at noon, you have the rest of the day and there's nothing on.

Except all those other football games. Saturdays you can find a decent CFB game on about 8 channels all day long.

Which I addressed in a previous post. I watch CFB all Saturday long. I won't watch whatever the 4 p.m. NFL game is.

But, still, the fact remains that the NFL, and football in general, draws so well on TV largely because of fantasy football and gambling.

I once saw something somebody wrote about how Gary Bettman and the NHL should endorse gambling on hockey to increase viewership. They were thrown in the lawsuit trying to block sports betting in the state of New Jersey as a complete afterthought. They're still not really taken seriously as a major sport.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:12 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:LOL at that WAAAHFEST about Mangini.

No shit. I'm no Mangini fan, but I fail to see how he made life "Hell" for that team. "They made us answer questions! And the offensive terminology was confusing! And we didn't get to stretch at our own pace!"

Man, it's not easy being a princess.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:17 pm

I liked Mangini. He seemed to be turning this team around, and then was fired for his efforts. Maddening.

And while I know that Mangini seems not to be destined to be a great coach that the Browns missed on, the whole debacle is especially bitter when I look at the guy they replaced Mangini with.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

No shit. I'm no Mangini fan, but I fail to see how he made life "Hell" for that team. "They made us answer questions! And the offensive terminology was confusing! And we didn't get to stretch at our own pace!"

Did he ever consider that the spirits of the Browns team and organization were crushed because the teams sucked?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:34 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Did he ever consider that the spirits of the Browns team and organization were crushed because the teams sucked?

Nope, had to be the pop quizzes.

I wonder if Kokinis banged his secretary on that mahogany desk?
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Hmm.... I was wondering if Holmgren and Heckert at their Taco Bell and drank their cases of Ballantine from that mahogany desk.

I guess you could use it for all sorts of important football-related things like that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Hmm.... I was wondering if Holmgren and Heckert at their Taco Bell and drank their cases of Ballantine from that mahogany desk.

I guess you could use it for all sorts of important football-related things like that.

Nah, they had a new desk brought in, because with each new regime everything has to be new because it's a new day with the new Browns. Only the results are old.

Mangini probably has the old mahogany desk stuffed into his ESPN cubicle.
Hikohadon

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL