Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Salazar to Start Wednesday

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Salazar to Start Wednesday

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:46 am

Jimenez pushed back to Friday and Danny Salazar will get a crack at the Tigers on Wednesday. Corresponding roster move (Albers DFA?) to be announced on Wednesday.

Love it.

In other news, the Diamondbacks just DFA'd Tony Sipp.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Salazar to Start Wednesday

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:00 pm

I like the aggressiveness. They are throwing him to the wolves but might as well use the kids bullets while you have them till he needs to be moved to the pen for the stretch.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:13 pm

I like it, too. We didn't make a big trade for a pitcher (which I think was smart, with the way the roster is set up this year and going forward). They're going with what they've got, and that includes the hot hand in AAA and telling him to take a spot and run with it. Aggressive and proactive, and it could be the best "trade" we could have made.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:04 pm

So is Giambi going to get a mysterious back spasm between now and Wednesday? DFA Reynolds? Scrabble already headed back down?
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:So is Giambi going to get a mysterious back spasm between now and Wednesday? DFA Reynolds? Scrabble already headed back down?

My guess is they DFA Albers, Salazar pitches Wednesday, recall CC Lee/Guilmet and send down Salazar on Thursday. The 10-day rule would be fulfilled for Pestano on Saturday, so he'd probably come back and CC Lee/Guilmet would go back down.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby davemanddd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:59 pm

very smart decision by the tribe. detroit owns ubaldo but they have never faced salazar, so the element of surprise will certainly be on the tribe's side. we can only hope. go tribe!!!
:itcf:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:33 am

I'd still prefer him out of the bullpen for the rest of the season. He's on an innings limit thanks to TJ, and it could allow for him to be selectively used in high-leverage situations. Could throw 2-3 innings at a time after Ubaldo goes 5-fly.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 am

I wonder if watching the Tribe get manhandled by that rookie Friday night factored into this decision. I can see Antonetti watching Fernandez strike out 14 Indians and saying, "Hey, we've got a guy like that at Columbus, let's get him up here!"
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 am

As has been noted by Castrovince maybe, the Indians may be tipping their hand, that U is the #5 and would be passed over in a playoff series.

Not a surprise, I suppose.

I half expected to see someone consider throwing Salazar against Det as a panic move.
I would not agree, but suprised to see all agree it is a legit move on its merits.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:51 am

nt
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 am

Looking over the probable starters for this series...

Who would have thought that of the 8 starting pitchers, Verlander would have the highest ERA, at just 3.88?
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 am

Prosecutor wrote:I wonder if watching the Tribe get manhandled by that rookie Friday night factored into this decision. I can see Antonetti watching Fernandez strike out 14 Indians and saying, "Hey, we've got a guy like that at Columbus, let's get him up here!"

No.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:57 am

gotribe31 wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:I wonder if watching the Tribe get manhandled by that rookie Friday night factored into this decision. I can see Antonetti watching Fernandez strike out 14 Indians and saying, "Hey, we've got a guy like that at Columbus, let's get him up here!"

No.

Yeah, I think it has to do with Ubaldo being so unpredictable this year. Great first outing and lasting 3 innings the second against Detroit.

I think that combined with the idea that Detroit is a better team and the Indians have to be the one that does the unconventional to catch them being the reason.

If it doesn't work I'm not going to complain.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby 7foot3 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:04 pm

gotribe31 wrote:I'd still prefer him out of the bullpen for the rest of the season. He's on an innings limit thanks to TJ, and it could allow for him to be selectively used in high-leverage situations. Could throw 2-3 innings at a time after Ubaldo goes 5-fly.

The problem with having him being Jimenez's designed piggyback is that those are the innings that are likely least valuable to us. Jimenez is the most likely starter to have put the team behind, and especially so if he's leaving the game early. If Salazar is used out of the pen, it should be to hold on to close leads.
My avatar is a reflection of Peeker's maturity and self-confidence.
7foot3
Zack Greinke of the Boards

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

No.

Is that coming from your contacts in the Tribe's front office or just an opinion?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:31 pm

Watered down Angels lineup, but Salazar looks ridiculously good again tonight. Gomes is making him use his slider more in this start and it has really benefited him. Sitting 96-98 with the fastball, throwing pretty free and easy.

He's pitching more tonight than I've seen him in previous starts. Slider's still a work in progress, but if he can use it as an average to slightly above average show pitch for the gas and the devastating change, it'll be a weapon.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:28 am

Damned west coast games. The game had barely ended when my alarm was going off, but I heard it was a doosey!

This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:15 am

I don't know where you're headed....but any chance you could call in sick?
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Damned west coast games. The game had barely ended when my alarm was going off, but I heard it was a doosey!

It was a good one (since we won) but don't blame it all on the west coast. 458 pitches...and every one the LA pitchers threw took twice as long as those by the Tribe. Tito should have asked the umps to get out their stopwatches ala Jim Leyland did for Raffy Right.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB