Text Size

College Sports Arena

Camp Updates/Mariotti at Work

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Camp Updates/Mariotti at Work

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 am

2012 Signee/starting Sam Josh Perry:

http://instagram.com/p/cfT8R4C9S0
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Mariotti At Work

Unread postby jb » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:08 am

e0y2e3 wrote:2012 Signee/starting Sam Josh Perry:

http://instagram.com/p/cfT8R4C9S0

Also provides barber services.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Mariotti At Work.

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:37 am

Well, he has now had two offseasons to change the bodies. Next year, he will have had 2 years with Urban's recruits. Let's see if those two factors make a bigger, stronger, trimmer, faster team.

Looking at that shot of Perry makes it hard to believe that Storm Klein was an OSU LB. OSU's LBs in particular just haven't been the kind of athletes that you see at 'Bama and LSU. Meyer said Mariotti was the most important hire he made, I think there is probably some truth there. Big BIG upgrade from Lichter.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 am

On a side note look at the arm length on Perry. Kid is already a legit 6'4, with probably a 6'8 wingspan. Those look like (very thick) basketball length arms.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:43 am

I don't know if these photos from player check in are free or premium (I think they are free), but pic #10 of Chris Carter is promising:

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/photofeatur ... &fid=43811

Seems to have slimmed down a lot.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:31 am

My reactions:
-Slide 8: Marcus Hall looks like he is great shape. He was probably the sloppiest (physically) of the OL last year, that is a good sign. I think most would agree, he is the weak link (relative term) in a strong unit. He may be the best pulling OG I have seen at OSU since Rob Simms. Very exciting.
-Slide 9: JT Moore has looked like Tarzan and played like Jane for the last 3 years. Nothing new here.
-Slide 10: Carter looks great. We need a NT. I think it will be Hale and Schutt in the middle, but Carter could make a great push here and could be critical against teams like Wisco. He moved well even at at 350. He looks about 320 (and more solid than Hank). Very promising, particularly if he can play low and get nasty.
-Slide 11: Jalin Marshall looks like an NFL RB. That kind of checks with what everyone has said for the last two years. They said he is freakishly strong (350lb bench at 18 while weighing 190 is ridiculous). He is a very different player than Wilson. Wilson is going to make you miss, Marshall can do that (not as well as Wilson) but he is going to break a lot of crappy form arm tackles this year.
-Slide 12: Wilson is bigger than I expected (same thing everyone has said since he arrived in C-Bus).
-Slide 15: Vonn Bell is smiling in every picture I have ever seen of him. I think that is a good thing.
-Slide 16: That 20lbs Lewis put on is obvious. Mariotti is amazing. I thought for sure Lewis would have to RS this year in order to get a BCS body. I was wrong. He may RS this year, but it won't be because he doesn't have the size for LEO.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:37 am

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:27 am

Yeah, Meyer being "Meyer" was brining players in through three different doors so no one reporter could get all of the pics. Which is typical.

And I almost shit when I saw Lewis. He didn't look anything close to that at the start of summer.

Also, James Clark is surprisingly thick. Like that is damn thick for being a truly elite speedster.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:07 am

At the very least Carter should be the first guy off the bus for away games. Dude's intimidating.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Saw a video of the first 30mins of practice (all freshman). Pretty interesting. Billy Price and Joey Bosa look ready to play today (physically). Big Kids. Price is every bit of 300-310. He is bigger than Mike Hill (and in better shape). Maybe Price ends up at NT? In watching a drill where they have to get off and hit the sled from under a canopy, it was pretty obvious when Price was under that thing. He sent it for a ride. Price is a guy that we tend to forget about, but I think he is gonna be a big contributor here. Bosa obviously will too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeah, how about that Meyer. Media's first (of not very many) practice watching sessions: 45 minutes of the first freshman practice, a huge, huge chunk of which is stretching and warm-ups.

When was Hill able to finally start working out after that stupid hand injury?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:41 pm

I don't know, but he doesn't look as game ready as the others. I think he may be a candidate for a RS just based on the way he looks. The scouts said that he carried a ton of his strength (and weight) in his lower body, which is good, but his upper body strength was lacking, and that is what it looks like.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:43 pm

furls wrote:I don't know, but he doesn't look as game ready as the others. I think he may be a candidate for a RS just based on the way he looks. The scouts said that he carried a ton of his strength (and weight) in his lower body, which is good, but his upper body strength was lacking, and that is what it looks like.

Yeah, which makes that six plus month hand injury all the more annoying.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Re: Camp Updates/Mariotti at Work

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Meyer came out today and went nuts about the new punter from Australia and also said Dontre will definitely play (after only three practices, which is insane) while raving about him.

Wand to throw up in your mouth?

"-At this point, the Buckeyes' second team offensive line consists of Darryl Baldwin, Chase Farris, Jacoby Boren/Pat Elflein, Tommy Brown, and Kyle Dodson."
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Free video of Meyer after practice:

http://www.ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1533083

Also: I may have exaggerated the "raved" and "went nuts" terms in my first post. Thanks 11W for rolling with the hyperbole. Either way, Meyer dropped about as high of a compliment on a couple of freshman after three practices as you will ever see.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Meyer mentioning a freshman after 3 practices and saying that he will definitely play counts as "raving." I don't disagree that 11W may have gone a bit overboard, but still the fact that it is a given that Wilson will play and is a legitimate contender to take significant snaps away from a 5th year senior is enough for me.

The Aussie has to be an upgrade over Buchannon. I doubt he could be worse. That second team OL is horrifying. Especially when Darryl Baldwin is the first name out of the coaches mouth. I hope Dodson gets it together.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Consensus seems to be that one should always be skeptical of the hype on a freshman....but that in the case of Wilson, we should believe it.

He reportedly caught four long TD passes in the 11 on 11 work today...everybody...and I mean everybody...is knocked out by the kid's talent.

According to all the reports I'm seeing on Twitter from today's practice, the most impressive players have been Adolphus Washington, Braxton, Wilson, Jalin Marshall, Philly Brown.

Norwell left practice with what looked like an ankle injury...did not return. They were so fortunate last year to go the whole season injury-free on the O-Line. Can they be that lucky again?

Taking the place of Roby with the 1st team at corner? (Hyde and Roby are both forced to run with the 2's) None other than Gareon Conley. Interesting.

Ross Fulton speculating that both Wilson and Marshall will be on the field in 4 and 5-receiver sets.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:40 pm

First Freshman down, Jayme Thompson broke his ankle, which sucks because we need to get young safeties as many reps as possible with three graduating.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Marcus Baugh, the freshman with the open container practiced today. Meaning him, Hyde and Roby are all practicing now.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm

danwismar wrote:Taking the place of Roby with the 1st team at corner? (Hyde and Roby are both forced to run with the 2's) None other than Gareon Conley. Interesting.

They did this same thing at CB last year, pairing vets with utes on the field, it doesn't correlate to the depth chart.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Here is some stuff based on the most recent set of practice updates from the last open practice 8/7:

-AW is awesome. Some are calling him the best player on the OSU defense. Pretty big praise. The new Will Smith?
-OSU's 2 best offensive weapons not named Miller are likely freshman; Wilson and Marshall. The praise for Wilson from the press is pretty remarkable. I think he is the #1 option out there based on the reports. I can't wait to see this kid.
-Vonn Bell is getting a lot of time.
-Josh Perry looks to be the #2 LB and Curtis Grant will be off the field when OSU goes NICKEL.
-Mike Hill is drawing rave reviews too, I guess that missed time is not killing him.
-Cardale Jones is looking good and it will be a dog fight to see who steps up next year when Guiton and possibly Miller leave.
-Everyone is saying Miller looks sharp, but I have heard this crap every year since Pryor was a freshman. I will reserve judgement.
-Warren Ball seems to be making a lot of plays, particularly in the passing game. I wonder if he will pass Dunn on the DC. If he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunn leave.

This team is going to score a lot of points next year!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:29 am

I'm putting together an article on the program's speed infusion by this freshman class, and looking at a lot of highlight video, most for the second or third time.

And I will suggest...see if you guys agree...that nobody in this class has a more impressive highlight video than this one...not Marshall...not Wilson.

James Clark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pVxgxMuCTU

As the kids say...OMG
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 am

In a straight line he has Ginn-like speed. He even looks like Ginn when he runs with his lean and enormous strides. I like Clark's video a lot but no one is as slippery/football quick as Dontre Wilson. The cuts that kid makes are just unreal.

No one will ever catch Clark from behind, but they may not ever touch Wilson from any angle.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 pm

OK, so it looks like the hype is Urbs has his speed in C-bus but they are raw frosh.

How early should we expect to see that manifested?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:59 pm

You will see Dontre on day one. You will see Jalin almost as early. They are the two best playmakers on the team not playing QB by pretty much every account. I fully expect to see them on the field almost all the time from day one.

I think in 4 WR sets you will see: Smith, Spencer, Marshall and Wilson.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:02 pm

You'll see it on all four kick coverage and return units. They have Elliott, Marshall, and Wilson all returning kickoffs (along with Rod Smith) in practices this week.

And Kerry Coombs suicide squads on kick coverage will have their pick of a dozen or more freshmen...I'm thinking Apple, Conley, Burrows, Mitchell, Bell, Worley, Johnson, Lee etc...to seek and destroy on punts and kickoffs.

I also think Bell, Apple and probably Conley may be in the two-deep in the secondary sooner instead of later.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:47 pm

If you see Apple and Conley in the 2 deep at CB then that means that one of Reeves and Grant is not. That one becomes a prime transfer candidate.

I kind of hate seeing guys with such high ceilings on kick coverage. As we saw last year, there are a disproportionate number of injuries on ST. I would love to see where Bogard would be had he been OK last year. I understand that if you fill your ST with walk ons you are inviting disaster, but I am not crazy about seeing Bell, Conley or Apple on ST.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:28 pm

People need to settle down a little bit on reading into Conley getting reps with the ones and what not. Since Urban and Coombs came on board they've ran utes with vets at CB and ran really, really weird rotations during spring ball and camp. I think they haven't trusted the depth at all so they've always been trying to get the kids ready quickly to go six deep at CB.

I'm not saying Conley and Apple aren't playing well, just that the reps with the ones thing is kind of smoke and mirrors.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Concussion for Jaylin.

That's not something you want to see. Been sitting since Thursday. Saw it from the Scout guys first.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:54 pm

They are not deep at corner, obviously. Now that Murray is history, the only backups who are not freshmen are Reeves and Adam Griffin, and some people think Reeves is too short to ever be a key contributor as a CB at OSU. (I'm not one of them, at least until I see the kid play some corner in games)

So I don't think it's too much of a stretch to project Apple or Conley or Burrows into the 2-deep at corner right away. It's not reading too much into Conley taking reps with the 1's to take note of it...or to call it "interesting". iiwii

I don't even think that Doran Grant, with his one career start (in place of a disciplined Roby) is a sure thing as a starter just yet. It looks that way, and he had a solid spring, but a lot can happen to change minds in August.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:53 pm

danwismar wrote:They are not deep at corner, obviously. Now that Murray is history, the only backups who are not freshmen are Reeves and Adam Griffin, and some people think Reeves is too short to ever be a key contributor as a CB at OSU. (I'm not one of them, at least until I see the kid play some corner in games)

So I don't think it's too much of a stretch to project Apple or Conley or Burrows into the 2-deep at corner right away. It's not reading too much into Conley taking reps with the 1's to take note of it...or to call it "interesting". iiwii

I don't even think that Doran Grant, with his one career start (in place of a disciplined Roby) is a sure thing as a starter just yet. It looks that way, and he had a solid spring, but a lot can happen to change minds in August.

If they think that Reeves is too short, than Murray was WAY too short, and Murray was a Freshman for all intents and purposes. I wouldn't judges Reeves yet, the sample space is just too small. He looks like he has developed a lot physically over the last year.

The only thing we know about CB is that Roby will be the starting Boundary CB whenever he gets back from whatever disciplinary action he faces. Grant was not great in his one start last year, so I am definitely not going to concede anything to him. All we know is that the staff has been happy with Apple, quiet about Burrows and the jury still seems to be out on Conley.

Duane Long on BN has been pretty adament that he thinks Burrows future is at safety and I tend to agree. The nice thing is that the CB competition is going to be so keen and wide open that I truly think the best will play. I don't think the staff is so married to Grant or Reeves that they would have any issue playing Apple or Conley or Burrows in front of them. I don't think we could have said that last year with Travis Howard (a multi year starter). Grant has struggled since he got here, so I will be surprised if he ends up being the guy full-time for the entire season.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Probably the best coaching staff quote I've seen (thus far) through camp:

Ben Axelrod ‏@BenAxelrod 59m
Ohio State's @CoachTomHerman on if the Buckeyes offense is ahead of where it was: “You were here a year ago. You saw that mess, right?”
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 pm

In all seriousness, Hoke's strength and conditioning program is fairly lax...

Here is a before and after of the #1 RB in the country last year, Derrick Green from HS to now (after his first summer at UM):

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_image ... nKVxPx.jpg

All American LT Tyler Lewan:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz31 ... 1527bc.jpg

I mean, obviously there are jacked guys there but christ those are two huge parts of there team that couldn't really be much softer.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Couple of thoughts there:

1. Derrick Green had significant weight problems early as a HS player and at one point was pushing 260. Latest I heard is that he is pushing 240 right now and that Deveon Smith may actually be a bit more impressive for them at this point (from a friend that is a big scUM fan).

2. That picture of Taylor Lewan is going to haunt him forever. Seriously, they look like two star crossed lovers.

3. I am sure OSU has some guys with less than flattering physiques, the difference is that they are not counting on those guys to carry the load like scUM is with Derrick Green.

4. OSU's insane S&C program and Marotti's role on the team as Meyer's #2 provide an edge to this team that is not going to be found anywhere else in the B1G. OSU is not only recruiting the best athletes, but they are making them better athletes and putting them with highly competent position coaches. This should scare the crap out of scUM fans (and the rest of the B1G). My scUM friend just takes solace in the notion that maybe Meyer will only be at OSU for 5 years.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 pm

Serious rumors about another young RB being suspended for game 1.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Green didn't really have weight problems, he was a fat kid that busted his ass to become one of the most jacked kids out there (hence the picture above and he was 295 or something ridiculous as a 8th grader/freshman). It's pretty incredible his first sign of putting any of that weight back on comes from his summer in a D-1 conditioning program.

I really just don't get it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:10 am

Heard the same rumors about that RB and supposedly he was interviewed/asked about it and had no idea what anyone was talking about. That said there are serious rumors that EZE is making a move on the DC, he may or may not pass Ball, Dunn or Smith, but the fact that it is being considered/discussed/rumored is significant.

I would say being 295 in 8th grade is a weight problem, or at least shows a possible propensity to pack on pounds. I hadn't heard he was that big, but I heard/read he was a porky young HS player that worked his ass of to get in condition. I agree, it is nuts that a kid puts on that much bad weight in the summer leading up to camp. This is just one more reason that I am not concerned about Green playing up North. Like I said, my scUM friend (who follows them about as close as I follow OSU) has said that based on what he has heard from camp is that Smith may pass him and Green apparently has a minor ankle injury and will be out for a week or 2 of camp.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Tweet:

Bill Rabinowitz ‏@brdispatch
Tidbits from today's OSU's interviews: CBs coach Kerry Coombs said Armani Reeves will start in place of suspended Bradley Roby in the opener.

---

Apple and Conley are the backups in the 2-deep.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm

So scUM released their first DC of the year (you can see it here). Some interesting observations:

1. As bad as their RBs were last year, Derrick Green is 5th! on the DC. I have heard from my friend (who can be semi objective) that Green has not been what they thought he would be to this point.

2. Kyle Kalis (the guy who was an OSU guy but decommitted and went to scUM) has won himself the RG position battle. Not bad, but he was supposed to be a Tackle and that was why he was so highly regarded. He did not show well in HSAA game practices so it is not shocking that he moved inside. That said, it is still a good sign for them for the future of their line.

3. Tom Strobel has been moved to DT. If he ever makes a big play for scUM at that position I will be shocked (#3 on DC).

4. Wormley is the B/U SSDE. I have heard from my friend that he has been very inconsistent and he is thinking that Hand will immediately jump him on the DC.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena