Text Size

No Holds Barred

My rant of the day, week, month and year. . .

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

My rant of the day, week, month and year. . .

Unread postby Apex777 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:48 pm

I'm new here, but I saw the heading of this section and figured this was a good place to put this.
My rant is this: With the new smoking ban in Ohio, it just irks me that I can purchase cigarettes in any store, pay a hefty tax on them, but then I could easily be fined for actually smoking one in a public place.
I firmly believe this, no smoking in public places in Ohio, no more tax on cigarettes, sounds like a fair deal to me. . . :x :mad: :-x
User avatar
Apex777
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Northeast OH

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:15 pm

I like the ban. Now I can actually go into a restaurant or bar and walk out NOT smelling like shit.
User avatar
mswerb
Carolina Junkie
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Euclid, OH
Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Re: My rant of the day, week, month and year. . .

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:00 pm

Apex777 wrote:I'm new here, but I saw the heading of this section and figured this was a good place to put this.
My rant is this: With the new smoking ban in Ohio, it just irks me that I can purchase cigarettes in any store, pay a hefty tax on them, but then I could easily be fined for actually smoking one in a public place.
I firmly believe this, no smoking in public places in Ohio, no more tax on cigarettes, sounds like a fair deal to me. . . :x :mad: :-x


If there wasn't a tax on em' they'd practically be free. A financial lesson should be learned from this. As a matter of fact, all your financial issues listed above would be solved by quitting.

I'm not talking about all the usual clean air, second hand smoke protests. You should quit smoking on PRINCIPLE. It's like buying your food and drink from Cleveland Browns Stadium for every meal, or stocking your cupboards with nicely priced goods from the movie theater.

Your getting F'd buying those cigs man, gotta give em' up.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6626
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Unread postby Spin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:32 pm

ithink it's great that you pay a tax on cigarettes to help pay off the Jake and the Q, but you can't smoke them there.

Man I'm glad i never started smoking.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Guest » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:09 am

I'm not a smoker but the law is actually pretty damn stupid.
The bar owners should be able to make those decisions.
Guest
 

Unread postby schlobbin31 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:45 pm

FightDr wrote:I'm not a smoker but the law is actually pretty damn stupid.
The bar owners should be able to make those decisions.


I agree. I understand why people say they like the ban because they don't have to smell like smoke when they go out to a bar but the logic behind that is fundamentally wrong. Should we ban smoking in peoples houses because I want to come over to your place and not leave smelling like smoke? Of course not.

Also, I have a hard time believing people when they say that they couldn't go to a restaurant and leave without smelling like smoke. That is 100% BS. There are way too many places to go that have nonsmoking sections for that to be a problem.

I do know of one family owned restaurant in my home town that went out of business recently and the local newspaper had an article about it. The owner (the place had been there since I can remember) was saying how his customer base was destroyed by the smoking ban so he had to shut it down. How can people that voted for the ban justify this?

If you don't like the smokey atmosphere of a smoking bar then go to a nonsmoking bar. Less government restrictions and more common sense is better for everybody.
schlobbin31
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:35 am

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:16 pm

Non-smoking sections in restaurants or bars will not keep you from smelling like shit. I do understand that smokers have rights, but I also have the right to voice my opinion. If establishments are losing money from their smoking customers, they must be doing something wrong. Does the food suck so bad that people ONLY go there to smoke?
User avatar
mswerb
Carolina Junkie
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Euclid, OH
Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby schlobbin31 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:49 am

Non-smoking sections in restaurants or bars will not keep you from smelling like shit.

I worked as a server for 5 years in two different restaurants while in college. I can honestly tell you that only rarely were there cases of people complaining about smoking and most of those were because some idiot thought it would be ok to light a cigar. Never did we have a complaint about people smelling like smoke when they left.

I do understand that smokers have rights, but I also have the right to voice my opinion.

No one is saying that you don't have the right to voice your opinion. In fact, the only people that are losing their "rights" are bar owners. People that voted for the ban told bar owners that they didn't think that they should have the right to decide if they are going to allow smoking or not.

If establishments are losing money from their smoking customers, they must be doing something wrong. Does the food suck so bad that people ONLY go there to smoke?

So what if they do go there to smoke? How arrogant is it to judge someone for that? Imagine if smokers passed a bill saying that bars and restaurants had to allow smoking 100% in their establishment. Do you think some places would be affected by it? How do you think you would feel if that happened? You'd be pissed that they are pushing smoking on you but you fail to see what you are doing here.

Again, I understand that you would prefer to be in a nonsmoking place. So would I. But when I voted I realized that this is people pushing their views on other people and restricted business owners. There were nonsmoking bars before. Most people didn't know that because it wasn't important enough for them to care.

Now we are seeing small businesses being affected by this because people don't want to ask for the non smoking section? Ridiculous.

Let the people that pay the rent decide if they are going to allow smoking or not. Not the nonsmokers and not the smokers.
schlobbin31
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:35 am

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:22 pm

schlobbin31 wrote:I worked as a server for 5 years in two different restaurants while in college. I can honestly tell you that only rarely were there cases of people complaining about smoking and most of those were because some idiot thought it would be ok to light a cigar. Never did we have a complaint about people smelling like smoke when they left.


Sorry, but if you don't smoke, you will notice the smell when you come home. Smokers have adapted to the smell so it won't be as noticable to them, non-smokers will be able to smell even the slightest amount of smoke on their clothes. Just because there is a non-smoking section doesnt mean smoke won't linger over from the smoking section.

I personally like this ban. My wife and I will have our first child soon and now we can take our kid out at night to dinner or an event and not have to worry about a tiny child inhaling someone elses unfiltered toxic gas.
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:45 am
Location: North Ridgeville, OH

Unread postby pup » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:39 pm

I am a smoker.

And I actually enjoy the ban in restaurants and bars. There is a noticeable difference in my opinion. I do not smoke inside my house either though.


My problem is, why can't you smoke in a designated area of an OUTSIDE arena. You cannot tell me the people huddles into a small corner of the Jake was really bothering the non-smokers. Maybe the location of that area was not the best (right by a large concession area), but there has to be a place, outside and away from a place when a large number of poeple would be (I believe there was also a Team Shop in the smoking area).
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Apex777 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:36 pm

It seems I've opened the proverbial "can of worms" with my posting. I'm sorry if some of you have taken offense to it, but I posted it to actually get other people's opinions.
A couple of posters stated that they were glad of the ban because then they didn't have to come home smelling like smoke. I can understand that, if I were a nonsmoker I wouldn't want that either. However, how do you suppose I feel, I am a NONdrinker, and it's no fun for me to be out at bars or clubs to listen to live music and have some drunken fool spill their drink on me. I really don't like going home smelling like beer or whiskey. But, it's ok to be a drunken fool in a bar and spill stuff on others, but God forbid you light a cigarette. . .
:roll :roll:
Also, for the folks who favor the ban, I am wondering how many of you are business owners, I'm referring to a restaurant or bar, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't be all for the ban if it affected your livelihood.
Again, I must state, I am merely voicing my opinion, just as all of you are free to voice yours. 8) :cool: 8-)
User avatar
Apex777
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Northeast OH

Unread postby schlobbin31 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Sorry, but if you don't smoke, you will notice the smell when you come home. Smokers have adapted to the smell so it won't be as noticable to them, non-smokers will be able to smell even the slightest amount of smoke on their clothes. Just because there is a non-smoking section doesnt mean smoke won't linger over from the smoking section.

First of all, what restaurants were you going to? The only places that don't have advanced filter systems anymore are small famliy owned businesses. I'll tell you that I never smoked until my last year of college. I never thought that I smelled like smoke when I left a place like Outback, Olive Garden, etc because I always sat in nonsmoking.

That still isn't the point, though. The fact that you don't realize that you are taking away the business owners right to choose if he wants to allow smoking or not is incredibly ignorant. Imagine if you had an aunt that smoked. Would you try to pass a law saying that smoking is banned in all houses because you want to go over to your aunts house without having to worry about leaving smelling like smoked? Hell no, you'd either stop going there or you would suck it up and deal with it.


I personally like this ban. My wife and I will have our first child soon and now we can take our kid out at night to dinner or an event and not have to worry about a tiny child inhaling someone elses unfiltered toxic gas.

The classic argument - "I don't want the personal responsibility of making sure a place is ok for my newborn so I am going to force everyone to try and live by my rules".

Sorry, it is your responsibility to make sure that a place is suitable for you and your family. My dad has seizures - does that mean that we should ban all disco balls, too? Again, it comes down to personally responsibility. If the atmosphere is deemed unacceptable by you for your little kid then DON"T TAKE YOUR LITTLE KID THERE. It really isn't that tough. If the business owner decides that he would make more money by it being nonsmoking he will make it that way.

Did you read my post earlier about the family owned restaurant that went out of business and the owner claimed it was because of the smoking ban? Honestly, what would you say to that guy?
schlobbin31
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:35 am

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:28 pm

[quote="schlobbin31]The classic argument - "I don't want the personal responsibility of making sure a place is ok for my newborn so I am going to force everyone to try and live by my rules".
[/quote]

You don't know me from Adam. Don't tell me I'm not going to take personal responsibility for my child. How did you come to your conclusion stated here? Do you know how I voted on the smoking ban? You sure don't. Before you make accusations maybe you should get the whole story. All I said is that I enjoyed the ban, never said I believe it is right.

As for the business side, I worked in a very popular restaurant/bar when th ban was implemented. Business was hurt for about a month. After the first month business was back to normal. The fact is that the majority of people in Ohio are non-smokers. Many of these non-smokers stayed away from bars due to the negatives (smelling like smoke, etc.). Once the ban was in place the people who would shy away in the past now started coming out. It balances out any smoker who refuses to go out due to the ban. Again, not saying it is right, just stating my observations.
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:45 am
Location: North Ridgeville, OH

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Personally, I'd also vote for a ban on children in restaurants. Cigarettes are nowhere near as annoying. 8) :cool: 8-)
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Apex777 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:50 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Personally, I'd also vote for a ban on children in restaurants. Cigarettes are nowhere near as annoying. 8) :cool: 8-)


:lol: Yeah, nothing worse then being in a nice restaurant for an evening out and have to listen to either a baby wailing the entire time or have kids running around the tables or jumping up and down in the booth behind you.
User avatar
Apex777
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Northeast OH

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:55 pm

Apex777 wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Personally, I'd also vote for a ban on children in restaurants. Cigarettes are nowhere near as annoying. 8) :cool: 8-)


:lol: Yeah, nothing worse then being in a nice restaurant for an evening out and have to listen to either a baby wailing the entire time or have kids running around the tables or jumping up and down in the booth behind you.


Especially since mine are old enough now to behave.

Incidentally, I'd also like to ask for a vote to keep babies, sick people and the morbidly obese off of airplanes or start an airline just for them.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby schlobbin31 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:10 pm

You don't know me from Adam. Don't tell me I'm not going to take personal responsibility for my child. How did you come to your conclusion stated here? Do you know how I voted on the smoking ban? You sure don't. Before you make accusations maybe you should get the whole story. All I said is that I enjoyed the ban, never said I believe it is right.

Relax. All I was doing was pointing out how easily you can avoid putting your kids in "deadly" situations. You want to act all holier than though by saying that you want to avoid your kid from inhaling "toxic gas" then don't take them there.

So you voted against the ban? And you think it is wrong?

Many of these non-smokers stayed away from bars due to the negatives (smelling like smoke, etc.). Once the ban was in place the people who would shy away in the past now started coming out. It balances out any smoker who refuses to go out due to the ban.

Pure speculation on your part. If the majority of the customers would have preferred nonsmoking only then the owners would have adjusted to make more of a profit. Don't tell me you don't know that to be true.

Before the ban some bars were nonsmoking only, most weren't. But you still had the option of going to a nonsmoking bar. Now that people voted for the ban that choice is no longer there. People (and I'm assuming not you because you didn't say you voted for the ban) who voted for this thing aren't smart enough to realize that they are the ones pushing their views on smokers, not the other way around.

Just for the record I think any place that is paid for by tax dollars has the right to be nonsmoking only.
schlobbin31
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:35 am

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:44 pm

Well, if you had a totally non-smoking bar back when smoking was allowed in them, you'd be a fool. There is an IMMENSE amount of doucumentation that shows the smoking bars would do much better.

But, with the playing field level, guess what, a little bitching at first, but the people who go to bars are going to go to bars. A smoking family that wants to go out to eat, is going to go out to eat. The amount of money spent in bars and restaraunts is not going to go down this year.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6626
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:57 pm

I actually think that smokers should be allowed to smoke in a public place. As a non-smoker I enjoy the smoking ban when I go out, still doesn't mean it is right. As for the 'toxic gas' comment, that is what smoke is. It is terrible for your body. No man on my mother's side of my family has lived past 60 due to lung complications from smoking. Be that as it may, it still doesnt give me the right to tell other people they can't smoke somewhere. I'm a big boy, I can leave if someone around me is smoking and it bothering me.

My bar experience wasn't speculation actually. People would tell me that they were now coming out to the bar since it was non-smoking.

Lead Pipe was completely correct about the business aspect of this.
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:45 am
Location: North Ridgeville, OH

Unread postby schlobbin31 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:15 pm

Well, if you had a totally non-smoking bar back when smoking was allowed in them, you'd be a fool. There is an IMMENSE amount of doucumentation that shows the smoking bars would do much better.

So your point is the majority of people going to bars either wanted to smoke or didn't care enough to not go to a nonsmoking place and that the majority of voters didn't want them smoking. Good point, thanks.

But, with the playing field level, guess what, a little bitching at first, but the people who go to bars are going to go to bars. A smoking family that wants to go out to eat, is going to go out to eat. The amount of money spent in bars and restaraunts is not going to go down this year.

I'd love to see you tell that to the guy from my hometown who lost his business while he is filling out applications for a new career.

I actually think that smokers should be allowed to smoke in a public place. As a non-smoker I enjoy the smoking ban when I go out, still doesn't mean it is right. As for the 'toxic gas' comment, that is what smoke is. It is terrible for your body. No man on my mother's side of my family has lived past 60 due to lung complications from smoking. Be that as it may, it still doesnt give me the right to tell other people they can't smoke somewhere. I'm a big boy, I can leave if someone around me is smoking and it bothering me.

I agree with this Mac. I only have a problem with the ban because it restricts the business owner. He is the guy that owns the private property so let him decide.

Also, I want to apologize for my previous posts. I was attacking your POV so I apologize. I am new here and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I have read your posts before and you seem like a stand up guy.
schlobbin31
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:35 am

Unread postby mswerb » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:52 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Personally, I'd also vote for a ban on children in restaurants. Cigarettes are nowhere near as annoying. 8) :cool: 8-)



Now, you are being stupid.
User avatar
mswerb
Carolina Junkie
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Euclid, OH
Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:27 pm

[quote="schlobbin31"]Well, if you had a totally non-smoking bar back when smoking was allowed in them, you'd be a fool. There is an IMMENSE amount of doucumentation that shows the smoking bars would do much better.

So your point is the majority of people going to bars either wanted to smoke or didn't care enough to not go to a nonsmoking place and that the majority of voters didn't want them smoking. Good point, thanks.

But, with the playing field level, guess what, a little bitching at first, but the people who go to bars are going to go to bars. A smoking family that wants to go out to eat, is going to go out to eat. The amount of money spent in bars and restaraunts is not going to go down this year.

I'd love to see you tell that to the guy from my hometown who lost his business while he is filling out applications for a new career.

I actually think that smokers should be allowed to smoke in a public place. As a non-smoker I enjoy the smoking ban when I go out, still doesn't mean it is right. As for the 'toxic gas' comment, that is what smoke is. It is terrible for your body. No man on my mother's side of my family has lived past 60 due to lung complications from smoking. Be that as it may, it still doesnt give me the right to tell other people they can't smoke somewhere. I'm a big boy, I can leave if someone around me is smoking and it bothering me.

I agree with this Mac. I only have a problem with the ban because it restricts the business owner. He is the guy that owns the private property so let him decide.

Also, I want to apologize for my previous posts. I was attacking your POV so I apologize. I am new here and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I have read your posts before and you seem like a stand up guy.[/quote

Schlobbin, I wasn't making a point, just stating a fact. In areas where there are both, Smoking bars are far more profitable than the non-smoking ones. And, no, thank you.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6626
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:27 pm

mswerb wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Personally, I'd also vote for a ban on children in restaurants. Cigarettes are nowhere near as annoying. 8) :cool: 8-)



Now, you are being stupid.


I was joking dude. Note I actually used an avatar.

Taking that literally?

mswerb Wrote:
I like the ban. Now I can actually go into a restaurant or bar and walk out NOT smelling like shit.


What kind of bars you going into where you come out smelling actually smelling like feces?


Jesus. An Indians loss fouls the moods of people. Take it out on someone else dude.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:06 am

Well, nothing like a smoking topic to get people riled up. No worries Schlobbin. I know you were just defended your POV.

Peeker, I actually laughed out loud wit your banning children comment (I took it as a joke). My wife and I have agreed to try and make sure our kid(or kids in the future) dont act like maniacs when we are out
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:45 am
Location: North Ridgeville, OH


Return to No Holds Barred

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests