Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Worried about Josh?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Worried about Josh?

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Like really worried?

The college problems are one thing.

The recent failed test (and suspension) another.

I can even forgive that, I guess. But reports now that he's loafing it (a problem last year) and getting into verbal spats with the coaching staff? How's this kid not acting a boy scout after all his transgressions is beyond me.

How big a problem we talking here?
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Re: Worried about Josh?

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:16 pm

WRs are often problems. As long a he puts up numbers, it doesn't matter.

There is no way of knowing the effect of his dumbness until play starts and we see him on the field (or, I suppose, not being on the field.)
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Listening to him speak, I don't get the idea he's dumb so much as immature and ignorant in many ways. Another classic case of a guy who's talented/gifted and hasn't heard 'No' too often.

End of the day what did he learn from the college suspensions? Those setbacks aside, he's an NFL #1 with more money than he's ever seen before, more possible in the future and he won't realize he's pissed all that away until he pisses all that away.

Literally, perhaps.

Gotta hope he figures it out before he doesn't.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 pm

I would guess that he hold it together long enough to put together a journeyman career, at minimum, but I don't know that I want to put money on it.

I would put money on him being dead broke within 5 years of leaving the NFL. He doesn't seem likely to break free of the majority of NFL players being insanely dumb with their money.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Guys, we're talking about a 2nd round pick. We can't afford to have him go off the reservation.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:29 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Guys, we're talking about a 2nd round pick. We can't afford to have him go off the reservation.

Meh.

The guys that brought you that pick gambled recklessly during the actual draft. They fucked up, for a few years and then got deep in talent debt and made a panic move or three.

That pick is done and over with. It's gone. It's spent. You don't get it back now regardless.

They need talented players, Gordon is one with baggage they fucking knew about before they pulled the handle and the reels rolled.

I'm not 'worried' about Josh. I don't give a shit about Josh other than on 14/16 Sundays per year. If he ain'there it's not like they have to play with 10 guys.

I hope he figures shit out and performs for them. But if this is surprising or worrisome now, you're a bit late to the dance, IMHO.

if he 'goes off the reservation' does that mean they're likely to be a bad club? That'd be awful. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Meh.

The guys that brought you that pick gambled recklessly during the actual draft. They fucked up, for a few years and then got deep in talent debt and made a panic move or three.

That pick is done and over with. It's gone. It's spent. You don't get it back now regardless.

They need talented players, Gordon is one with baggage they fucking knew about before they pulled the handle and the reels rolled.

Whatever it may be, the kid showed some real promise last year and is one of the few offensive playmakers drafted since 99 who's talent actually matched his draft placement. Not really a 'meh' issue to me.

And while the his pick is 'gone', next year's first or second isnt yet. Would be a shame to waste it on a #1 receiver when we already had one. I've heard good things about Bess, maybe he can straighten JG out. Oh, and doesnt JImmy Brown get a paycheck? Maybe he wouldnt mind working for it, for once.

I'm not 'worried' about Josh. I don't give a shit about Josh other than on 14/16 Sundays per year. If he ain'there it's not like they have to play with 10 guys.

Well, duh. I'm not worried about him personally either.

if he 'goes off the reservation' does that mean they're likely to be a bad club? That'd be awful.

No. But he's one of the players counted on to make us a 'good' club. Unless you think your boy Weeden has enough weapons.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm not worried. I assume that he'll fuck up again in the not-distant future and be out for a while, eventually to wash out here as just another WR headcase.

So anything we actually get from him is gravy.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I'm not worried. I assume that he'll fuck up again in the not-distant future and be out for a while, eventually to wash out here as just another WR headcase.

So anything we actually get from him is gravy.

Well, I guess I could have been more economical in my response. Because this sums it up.

I hope he's more than that ^^^^

I expect he won't be.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby AttackOffense » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:03 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Like really worried?

The college problems are one thing.

The recent failed test (and suspension) another.

I can even forgive that, I guess. But reports now that he's loafing it (a problem last year) and getting into verbal spats with the coaching staff? How's this kid not acting a boy scout after all his transgressions is beyond me.

How big a problem we talking here?

It's very disappointing that over the past week both Mary Kay Cabot and Nate Ulrich, the two lead Browns writers for the two major papers in NE Ohio, both made oblique references to claims of loafing by Gordon. Then there is the SI guy, Bedard, who really nailed Gordon and shamed him in comparison to the professionalism of receivers on WINNING teams.

Many Browns fans feel the media is ganging up on Gordon. I don't know about that. I think there is more to all of this than we know about. And it's not good.
AttackOffense

Favorite Player: TRich
Least Favorite Player: SLavauo

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL