Text Size

College Sports Arena

Not good...

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Not good...

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 pm

I don't know. I think this is one of those cases where he is either guilty and you kick him off the team or acquit him. From a PR standpoint, suspending him is an implicit admission of guilt, which will read as follows on the ESPN banner, "OSU RB CARLOS HYDE RECEIVES 2 GAME SUSPENSION FOR ASSAULTING A WOMAN IN LATE NIGHT INCIDENT AT COLUMBUS BAR IN JULY. HYDE NOT CHARGED BY CPD." That is exactly how it will read, whereas the other way it reads, "OSU RB CARLOS HYDE REINSTATED AFTER BEING CLEARED BY CPD."

I prefer option 2.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby bac5665 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm

I can't see how you can suspend Hyde for what happened. He was in a bar. He was talking to a girl. There was an altercation that seemed to be over before it began and did no harm sufficient for either party to do more than walk away.

I cannot tell who did what to who in what order, and I believe in innocent until proven otherwise.

If I were Urban, I could not suspend Carlos unless I have proof that he hit this girl with intent to hurt her.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:50 pm

If I were Urban, I could not suspend Carlos unless I have proof that he hit this girl with intent to hurt her.

Is there any other intent when you hit someone?

I can see Urban giving him 2 games.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby bac5665 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Accidentally.

I cannot tell if he is taking a swing at her or if he is putting his arm up to block her, in which case his arm would hit her arm, but it would not be intentional.

It really looks to me like whatever happens was a defensive reaction of some kind, and I don't think that any such action can be classified as intent to hurt her.

But what do I know? I can barely see anything in this video.

Also, I agree that I can see Urban suspending Hyde. I just don't think I would if I were him.
bac5665

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Here's another video that's shorter and more clear imo.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/201 ... -hyde.html
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Wow, a lot of bullshit over that.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:07 pm

I can't tell much of anything from that video. I guess that says something right there since if there were real punches being thrown you would think it wouuld be pretty obvious.

Both of them probably reacted poorly but crap like this happens in every city, every night of the year. Probably 99+% of the time the police are never involved.

Urban's going to have to earn his money on this one. He's going to look bad no mater what he does. I don't think he's going to want to mess-up Hyde's career over this but he also needs to send a message and follow-up that he is serious about his core principles. I would guess 3-5 games which is harsh in light of what happened.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Its pretty clear from that video that Hyde was attempting to maim that poor innocent girl, the fact she is still able to walk is testament to modern medical science.

Seriously CPD, it took you a week to deliberate over that... To busy with the Deep-Fried Oreo's at the State Fair...?

I get that Urban has to set an example , but if this didn't happen at tOSU that kid is getting a stern talking to, and some gassers after practice.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 am

That video looks like it was shot out of the sims or something equally dumb.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 am

I like the teammate that was smart enough to bring his own flashlight to highlight girls asses on the dance floor. Classic.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 am

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:I like the teammate that was smart enough to bring his own flashlight to highlight girls asses on the dance floor. Classic.

Has to be a GA coach.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:23 am

Govbarney wrote:Its pretty clear from that video that Hyde was attempting to maim that poor innocent girl, the fact she is still able to walk is testament to modern medical science.

Seriously CPD, it took you a week to deliberate over that... To busy with the Deep-Fried Oreo's at the State Fair...?

I get that Urban has to set an example , but if this didn't happen at tOSU that kid is getting a stern talking to, and some gassers after practice.

IDK I exhonorate Hyde for being stupid.

I think they're ALL a bunch of idiots. The whole stupid meat market scene. And yeah, I did at that age, too.

You got your line of young "ladies" with their asses to the gallery shaking it, prolly to some lame house rap calling them hoes and encouraging their treatment as hoes to the men watching them (or as Robyn Thicke calls it, "satire") , like as if they're in a harem waiting for the prince to pick them out to do them. Classy. My fav is the fat one in the line. Oh, girl, don't you know? The whole scene of utterly confused and misguided female "empowerment". Preach on sister Ke$ha. Self-esteem issues much? Bunhch a wanna be hoes who get upset when called hoes as a result of their behaviors.

You have your meat head jocks surveying the landscape like caveman, replete with mister wizard and his flashlight.

$5 will get you $ 10 that Carlos, like he's probably done 1,000 times before, often successfully, walks up with a charming opening line to the hot one in the tiny white shorts and says, "Hey, baby, you want to come with us and pull train for the Buckeyes? You know you wanna."

And the one up there dancing like a hoe, ass shaking to a group of entitled super X chromosone men, gets all upset that she's treated like a hoe and "disrespected" like as if she's sitting on a park bench having lunch innocently. "I was just dancing with a group of girls and and and HE TALKED TO ME!....."

And so she tries to slap Carlos. Instead of taking the slap and laughing at her tipsy ass he swats back. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

The whole episode, of course, was about as violent as two kittens pawing each other in passing on the way to separate yarn balls. But this is 2013 after all. INCIDENT! ESPN! URBAN IS THIS ANOTHER AARON HERNANDEZ?!?

Meat markets are for morons.

Young women who act like that in meat markets and then holla empowerment and feign outrage are delusional.

Young men who just stand there and don't even fake trying to make an effort before asking for "you're just a piece of meat with a gash" entitled-sex preceded by "Do you know who I am?" are dooshbags.

I seriously doubt Carlos walked up and said , "excuse me Miss, would you care to dance?" Or even just offered to buy her a drink, given the reaction.

Then you got slim shady walking up a few minutes after to try to defend her honor. Thank God that didn't escalate into a cluster fuck of AI proportions.

They're all a bunch of vapid sheep and part of a culture.... that I help create from being a football fan. F me. Football players being a-hole football players and football groupies who probably went there knowing the "club's" rep for having Buckeyes there... all of them. They deserve each other.

But the incident? Nothing I haven't seen a hundred times without a much greater reaction.... before I turned about 19 and started going to real bars.

To the extent Urbs can plant the seed to one of the young men he's charged with helping develop as an adult that he ought change his thinking so he can grow up some part from just being a "football" issue? I applaud him tilting at that windmill.
Last edited by jb on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:50 am

Best take I've seen.
bac5665

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:06 am

jb wrote:IDK I exhonorate Hyde for being stupid.

I think they're ALL a bunch of idiots. The whole stupid meat market scene. And yeah, I did at that age, too.

You got your line of young "ladies" with their asses to the gallery shaking it like as if they're in a harem waiting for the prince to pick them out to do them. Classy. My fav is the fat one in the line. Oh, girl, don't you know? The whole scene of utterly confused and misguided female "empowerment". Preach on sister Ke$ha. Self-esteem issues much? Bunhch a wanna be hoes who get upset when called hoes as a result of their behaviors.

You have your meat head jocks surveying the landscape like caveman, replete with mister wizard and his flashlight.

$5 will get you $ 10 that Carlos, like he's probably done 1,000 times before, often successfully, walks up with a charming opening line to the hot one in the tiny white shorts and says, "Hey, baby, you want to come with us and pull train for the Buckeyes? You know you wanna."

And the one up there dancing like a hoe, ass shaking to a group of entitled super X chromosone men, gets all upset that she's treated like a hoe and "disrespected" like as if she's sitting on a park bench having lunch innocently. "I was just dancing with a group of girls and and and HE TALKED TO ME!....."

And so she tries to slap Carlos. Instead of taking the slap and laughing at her tipsy ass he swats back. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

The whole episode, of course, was about as violent as two kittens pawing each other in passing on the way to separate yarn balls. But this is 2013 after all. INCIDENT! ESPN! URBAN IS THIS ANOTHER AARON HERNANDEZ?!?

Meat markets are for morons.

Young women who act like that in meat markets and then holla empowerment and feign outrage are delusional.

Young men who just stand there and don't even fake trying to make an effort before asking for "you're just a piece of meat with a gash" entitled-sex preceded by "Do you know who I am?" are dooshbags.

I seriously doubt Carlos walked up and said , "excuse me Miss, would you care to dance?" Or even just offered to buy her a drink, given the reaction.

Then you got slim shady walking up a few minutes after to try to defend her honor. Thank God that didn't escalate into a cluster fuck of AI proportions.

They're all a bunch of vapid sheep and part of a culture.... that I help create from being a football fan. F me. Football players being a-hole football players and football groupies who probably went there knowing the "club's" rep for having Buckeyes there... all of them. They deserve each other.

But the incident? Nothing I haven't seen a hundred times without a much greater reaction.... before I turned about 19 and started going to real bars.

To the extent Urbs can plant the seed to one of the young men he's charged with helping develop as an adult that he ought change his thinking so he can grow up some part from just being a "football" issue? I applaud him tilting at that windmill.

Now that's what I call breaking down film.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:08 am

danwismar wrote:Now that's what I call breaking down film.

No, no Danny.

We MUST disagree. Peeker told us so. ;-)
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:51 am

Three games for Hyde...even though Meyer said the investigators told him it was "nothing".

Meyer: "Our players are taught to walk away, (Hyde's) punishment was because he didn't walk away". Says if he had been charged, he would have been dismissed from the team.

There are no doubt people who will be critical of Meyer for this. Comes with the job, I suppose.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm critical of the punishment.

Less for Meyer, because he was somewhat hemmed in by national talk and the perceived need to set an example, and more for a national culture that feels a need to punish a kid for being a kid. Hyde did nothing wrong that I saw, certainly not that could be proved. My philosophy is that punishing someone for something you cannot prove is almost always a worse outcome than whatever you're punishing the person for in the first place.

I can understand if Meyer wants to give him laps or windsprints, or whatever practice field punishments he has at his disposal. But I really do think that taking games away from Hyde over this, absent some problems Hyde has that we don't know about, seems to me to be a huge overreaction.

I saw two kids being dumb. No victims here. If there were no victims, than I can't see the need for what is basically the harshest kind of punishment Meyer can met out.
bac5665

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:25 pm

bac5665 wrote:I'm critical of the punishment.

Less for Meyer, because he was somewhat hemmed in by national talk and the perceived need to set an example, and more for a national culture that feels a need to punish a kid for being a kid. Hyde did nothing wrong that I saw, certainly not that could be proved. My philosophy is that punishing someone for something you cannot prove is almost always a worse outcome than whatever you're punishing the person for in the first place.

I can understand if Meyer wants to give him laps or windsprints, or whatever practice field punishments he has at his disposal. But I really do think that taking games away from Hyde over this, absent some problems Hyde has that we don't know about, seems to me to be a huge overreaction.

I saw two kids being dumb. No victims here. If there were no victims, than I can't see the need for what is basically the harshest kind of punishment Meyer can met out.

I get this take. I really do.

This is political. Carlos is paying for what Aaron hernandez did, Tatoo-gate, and Storm Klein as much or more as what he did.
jb

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:29 pm

I get this take. I really do.

This is political. Carlos is paying for what Aaron hernandez did, Tatoo-gate, and Storm Klein as much or more as what he did.

Probably, yes. Too bad.
bac5665

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm

bac5665 wrote:I'm critical of the punishment.

I know you shouldn't formulate your punishment based on what you think people will say about it afterwords, and what the general public reaction to it will be nationwide....but that's where we are.

You're both right...it is political...Meyer is rightly sensitive to the perception that he coddled players who behaved badly at Florida, and he is on record as saying he wants his punishments for misbehaving players at OSU to the the most severe anywhere. Imagine the outcry if Hyde skated here without any suspension at all...there would be all manner of cynical posturing about the circumstances of the girl declining to press charges...blah, blah...you know what we could expect from the under-informed and the garden variety Urban-haters and OSU-haters.

Hyde pays the price for all the previous transgressions, but also just for being an OSU player in 2013. Walk away. It's not as if he hadn't been preached to enough about it.

danwismar

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 am

Fuckin' brilliant JB.

Every once in a while I am reminded of getting sucked into Cleveland sports talk by JB back in the days of Usenet when stuff archived to CSML or whatever it was.. Even though I don't write too much, as a Cleveland sports junkie I had to have some kind of fix in the 90s. Jesus I remember reading that when my kid starting college was a 2 year old pup sitting on my lap because he loved the "modem" sound of dialing-in.

Dinosaur alert...
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Hearing today that Roby's charges have been reduced from battery to "disorderly conduct".

Most people are assuming he'll get a suspension...probably one game, but maybe two...which sounds about right.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:16 pm

More info on the Roby case....eligible for a pretrial intervention that will allow charges to be dismissed if he behaves for a year...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ohio-sta ... -diversion

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Ben Axelrod ‏@BenAxelrod 27s
Urban Meyer says that Ohio State RB Rod Smith has been suspended for the Buckeyes' opener for an incident that occurred in February

So, uhm, Dunn, Ball and EZ-E gonna get their shot.

Rod Smith blowing a huge opportunity.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:38 pm

@AriWassermanBSB
Roby suspended for first game of the season.

Edit: "At least one game".
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Ben Axelrod ‏@BenAxelrod 27s
Urban Meyer says that Ohio State RB Rod Smith has been suspended for the Buckeyes' opener for an incident that occurred in February

Rod Smith blowing his last opportunity.

fixed it for you.

This three game stretch was his shot to show from the beginning that he was at the very least the #2 back on the team this year and solidify his spot as starter next year. Those 3 games were a chance to show consistency, now he has 2 at best. Assuming Dunn, Ball or EZ-E don't jump out and just take that job in Game 1.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Ben Axelrod ‏@BenAxelrod 18m
Urban Meyer on Ohio State running back Rod Smith: "It’s his last call. It’s the 11th hour for Rod Smith. He needs to perform.”

Patrick Brennan ‏@PatBrennan164 14m
Urban Meyer has a good track record with his "11th hour" challenge to RB's - said same regarding Carlos Hyde last year.

So, yeah
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Urban on Rod Smith: "He’s going to be a valuable member of this team when he gets back. He’s practicing at a very, very high level."

So i guess that's good....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:04 am

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:50 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Ben Axelrod ‏@BenAxelrod 27s

Rod Smith blowing a huge opportunity.

FEBTOBER?

C'mon. can't they just sweep it under the rug by now?
jb

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena