Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Vinnie Getting Sent Down

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Vinnie Getting Sent Down

Unread postby andrew6586 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 pm

It's all over Twitter. He move makes room for the new lefty. I love Vinnie but he hasn't been the same since he was on the DL. Maybe now he can focus more and/or get healthy.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Re: Vinnie Getting Sent Down

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 am

Interesting. Surprised they took this course of action. Makes sense, though. Get him some confidence, fix the mechanical issues, and get a fresh, hopefully healthy Vinnie for the stretch run.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 am

How do you know his problem is "mechanical"?

He was on the DL with an elbow injury. He admitted the elbow has been bothering him for a couple of years but they've been "managing it". Since coming off the DL, and even before, there has been a significant drop in velocity on his fastball.

I think his arm is messed up. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce at some point this year that he's going in for TJ. Every pitcher does it at some point in his career nowadays.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:56 am

Prosecutor wrote:How do you know his problem is "mechanical"?

Kyle Boddy (Driveline Baseball) had a side-by-side .gif that I can't find anymore from a month or so back that showed a difference in where he was releasing the ball. According to him, it the main reasons why his velo was down, along with the injury.

Fastball velo is back to near 2012. Command and control are the issues now, which are generally more mechanical in nature, unless accompanied by a velo drop. The velo's not back to 2011, so he could still be hurt. But if he was truly hurt, they'd put him on the DL, not send him to Columbus. It's not worth risking a bigger injury.

They can't use him in a game at this level while we're trying to contend, so they'll send him to fix his issues in Columbus where there's less pressure and more attention from the coaching staff.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 am

Prosecutor wrote:I think his arm is messed up. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce at some point this year that he's going in for TJ. Every pitcher does it at some point in his career nowadays.

He's already had TJ surgery on that elbow.

Best hope it's not that or something's really, really bad. Jonny Venters going down that road right now.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball ... ery/nXswd/

Success rates for first-time ligament transplant patients are high, and pitchers typically come back in about 12 months, as Tim Hudson and Kris Medlen did and Brandon Beachy is on target to do in June.

The overall success rates aren’t nearly as high, though, for repeat transplant patients. Though the sample size is smaller, estimations range from 10 to 25 percent of those pitchers returning to be effective major leaguers.

Saturday’s starter for the Dodgers, Chris Capuano, 34, provides Venters some encouragement. He is in his fourth season back after “Tommy John” surgeries in 2002 and 2008.

“It really is an individual outcome based on the player and his body and the rehab and all those things,” Wren said. “But there are players who have actually pitched better after their second than they did after their first. There are players that have not. I don’t know that you can say for certain how a player is going to come out.”

Among other pitchers to make it back after repeat-transplant surgery are Doug Brocail, who pitched six seasons after a second operation at age 35, Al Reyes, who pitched two seasons with Tampa after a second operation at age 34, and Jason Isringhausen, who had “Tommy John” surgery three times and pitched until he was 40.

Jose Rijo had five ligament transplant surgeries and missed five seasons before coming back with the Reds at age 36. He made 44 appearances over his final two seasons.

Two noted relief pitchers who are attempting comebacks from a second “Tommy John” surgery are Brian Wilson and Joakim Soria. Wilson, closer for the 2010 World Series champion Giants, is unsigned more than a year into his recovery from his second surgery. Soria, the former two-time All-Star closer for Kansas City, had a setback with a pectoral muscle strain but is targeting a July 1 return with Texas. That would be 15 months removed from his second surgery.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:23 am

Kyle Boddy (Driveline Baseball) had a side-by-side .gif that I can't find anymore from a month or so back that showed a difference in where he was releasing the ball. According to him, it the main reasons why his velo was down, along with the injury.

Thanks, that's good to know. I hope it's just the mechanics, but he's been off the DL a while and Callaway has had plenty of time to work on fixing his release point, including time over the All-Star break, which makes me suspect it's more than mechanics. But you're right, if he's hurt why not just DL him again so his arm can heal?

He's still getting more than 1 K per inning, so his ball is still jumping, even at a slightly lower velocity. He's still getting swings and misses in the zone, so that's a positive sign. It just looks like his command is off, which suggests it's mechanical.

On another topic, I'm glad to see the Tribe refused to trade Salazar or Carrasco for a two-month LOOGY. That would have been idiotic. But it meant they ended up settling for Scrabble, who doesn't look like an upgrade over Hill at all.

Got to trust Antonetti, though. After bringing in Raburn, Gomes and Aviles for practically nothing, he's earned some slack.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB