Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

MLB Trade Deadline 2013

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: MLB Trade Deadline 2013

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:27 am

My list of needs and the names I'd want to target to fill those needs: http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... ine-primer

Thoughts?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:19 am

Jonathan Bernhardt ‏@jonbernhardt 21m
It's been suggested to me that Joe Nathan for Drew Stubbs might also be a possible thing, but you'd think TEX would want more.

Writer for Sports on Earth who has also contributed to Baseball Prospectus.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:43 am

skatingtripods wrote:My list of needs and the names I'd want to target to fill those needs: http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... ine-primer

Thoughts?

Schierholtz is hitting .293/.919 against right-handed pitching, so using him in a RF platoon with Stubbs would be very nice. Stubbs is pretty much an automatic out against righties. I'd like to see the Indians pick him up, but if the Cubs are looking for pitching I would hate to see us give up a top prospect. Maybe an Austin Adams or one of the bullpen guys, but not Salazar, Bauer, or Carrasco. Seeing the success Chris Archer is having in Tampa makes me very leery of trading a high end minor league arm for a rental, especially since I don't see the Tribe doing anything in the playoffs even if they get in. They're something like 22-32 against teams over .500.

Also, Ryan Raburn isn't that bad against right-handed pitching with an .876 OPS, almost as good as Schierholtz.

Definitely sign me up for Oliver, Perez, or Thatcher. The need for a LOOGY is dire. A deal for one of these guys HAS to get done. Although we do have a guy at Columbus who has been successful at the major league level against lefties. Clay Rapada is a 32yo career minor leaguer, but he pitched in 70 games for the Yankees last year with a 2.82 ERA. Lefties hit .215 against him.

This year at Columbus lefties are hitting .172 against him.

If the asking price is too high for one of the LOOGY's you mentioned, Rapada might be an alternative to Rich "Gas Can" Hill or Nick "Take Your Base" Hagadone.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Also, Ryan Raburn isn't that bad against right-handed pitching with an .876 OPS, almost as good as Schierholtz.

Raburn's career OPS v. RHP is .716. Don't expect his 2013 performance v. RHP to continue.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Giants are selling. Javier Lopez was with Francona in Boston. Olney mentions that and suggests it's a fit. I saw earlier on Twitter that SF wants a ML-ready SP in exchange for Lopez. Lopez is a free agent at season's end.

A. Would you give up Carlos Carrasco?

B. Would you do it straight up?

C. If not, would Lopez + mid-level prospect/project (think in general, #4/5 starter type, 4th OF with upside or kid in A-ball with projection but clear holes) do it for Carrasco?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 am

I wouldnt in either case. Its prob just me but I dont like trading starting pitching especially if its for a reliever. I would give up the position player before I would give up Carrasco so I would seek out the team that would take the position player. I think Carrasco still has a shot to get it together and his potential ceiling is more valuable than Lopez's ceiling. Probably wont happen but since a player like Lopez isnt the difference in us getting to a world series I would rather just hang on to Carrasco since there is no need to get rid of him and just wait to see if you "Hit the Lottery " with him so to speak.

Lopez, Outman, Perez, etc. are essentially all the same player. Lefties who get lefties out, No need to overpay for one when you could probably wait out one of the many other teams and get the deal you want somewhere else.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:15 am

The Tigers have acquired Jose Veras from the Astros.

I assume they're going to use him as their closer and move Benoit back to the setup role.

Either way I hope he returns to the pitcher he was last time he was in the AL Central.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:04 pm

I agree with Pronk. I would not give up Carrasco for a LOOGY who will be a free agent at the end of the season and can only be used to get one or two batters out.

Carrasco did not pitch last year due to TJ surgery. I believe that historically pitchers are much better in their second year after TJ than their first, so it's quite possible Carrasco will be much better next year. He's doing well in Columbus with a 2.97 ERA and 71 K's in 60 innings.

He had a problem in Cleveland because he was afraid to pitch inside after his suspension.

He's 26 and there's a chance he could mature into a FOR starter as early as next season. He's kind of like Kluber in that he's got great stuff but needed some time to put it all together.

As Pronk said, there are other LOOGY's out there and I doubt anybody expects to get a young arm like Carrasco's for a two-month rental of a guy who is only effective against lefties.

With the probable loss of Ubaldo and Kazmir next season (unless they're willing to pay Kazmir $14 million), and with Bauer still struggling in AAA, I wouldn't part with Carrasco unless the offer was overwelming. Which it won't be.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Prosecutor wrote:With the probable loss of Ubaldo and Kazmir next season (unless they're willing to pay Kazmir $14 million), and with Bauer still struggling in AAA, I wouldn't part with Carrasco unless the offer was overwelming. Which it won't be.

Even with his re-establishing himself this season, no-one's going to give Kazmir $14M a season with his injury history. I see that number over 2 years, maybe, but not for a single season.

The challenge with Carrasco is that he will be out of options next year. He either has to stick with the club as a starter, or exposed to waivers.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:20 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:The challenge with Carrasco is that he will be out of options next year. He either has to stick with the club as a starter, or exposed to waivers.

That and the fact it's hard to fix 'asshole' make Carrasco a gamble for whomever takes him on. I guess you can hang your hat on the fact Cliff Lee is an asshole who developed a bit later if you want to go looking for needles in haystacks.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Any chance the Indians actually face Peavy Tuesday?
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:09 pm

1Perry wrote:Any chance the Indians actually face Peavy Tuesday?

Be really funny if it was the White Sox who faced Peavy Tuesday.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:11 pm

He cleared out his locker at US Cellular, assuming he was going to be dealt. Sounds like the Braves have backed out of the bidding, but I'd be surprised if he was pitching for Chicago come the deadline. If something was imminent, they'd pull him from the rotation.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Carrasco's stuff hasn't translated to the Major League level. An 8% swinging strike rate isn't even league average among starters. I'm all for having a cost-controlled starter for the next three years, but it's really hard to project Carrasco to be anything more than a decent #4 and above average #5 at best. He's got very clear maturity issues and, as WTF said, he's out of options. Let him be somebody else's problem.

While I'd much rather have a guy like Joe Thatcher, who is signed through next season, for Carrasco, I'd have a hard time turning Lopez down. He's an impact player because of his role and he'd be tremendously valuable in a playoff series, if we got that far.

The Indians figure to need at least one SP next season with Kazmir likely getting free agent cash somewhere. They could always pick up Jimenez's option. Kluber and McAllister are under team control for a while. They'll probably give Masterson an extension this winter. Salazar and Bauer on the way up and they can always find a free agent starter a la Myers and hope it works out better.

As for facing Peavy tomorrow, I'd put it at "probably not". Maybe a 30% chance he pitches for Chicago tomorrow.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 am

Jake Peavy was scheduled to start for the White Sox in Cleveland tonight at 6:05pm central time, but the Sox will instead make history by promoting the Majors' first Brazilian native, Andre Rienzo, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. Meanwhile, GM Rick Hahn will be entertaining offers for Peavy, according to Gonzales.

Yesterday, we heard the White Sox were trying to move Peavy prior to tonight's start. However, the market for the righty's services became muddled as the Athletics seemingly moved on and the Sox started telling teams they plan to keep Peavy. Their decision not to start him tonight seems to indicate otherwise.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/j ... day-1.html
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:Jake Peavy was scheduled to start for the White Sox in Cleveland tonight at 6:05pm central time, but the Sox will instead make history by promoting the Majors' first Brazilian native, Andre Rienzo, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. Meanwhile, GM Rick Hahn will be entertaining offers for Peavy, according to Gonzales.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/j ... day-1.html

Wasn't that Yan Gomes?
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Maybe they mean born in Brazil, was Gomes born there or the US?

EDIT: Never mind just checked. Gmoes was born in Brazil.

Maybe they mean pitcher?
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Gomes should be in the Indians lineup tonight, too. 'Cause, you know, history.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby bac5665 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:30 pm

He is.
bac5665

Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Maybe they mean born in Brazil, was Gomes born there or the US?

EDIT: Never mind just checked. Gmoes was born in Brazil.

Maybe they mean pitcher?

MLBTR amended the article.... they meant to write "first pitcher" apparently but just missed the word off the story.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm

We might be on the verge or acquiring a LOOGY who's actually WORSE than Rick Hill

Derrick Goold ‏@dgoold 2m
#Cardinals have an agreement in place for Rzepczynski, sending him to #Indians, sources confirm. Not clear when will be announced. #stlcards

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/362320020866478080
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Done Deal.

Indians acquire Scrabble (Rzepczynski's nickname) for reportedly Juan Herrera - 20 year old 2B playing in Short Season Mahoning Valley.

I guess they figured the price was too high on "sure thing" lefties so instead they gave up next to nothing on a gamble that a change of scenery would help Scrabble.

Meh.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm good with it. Better option than our RHPs against LHB. Didn't give up anything of consequence.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Toxicadam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:05 pm

I wouldn't have a problem dealing Carrasco. From the day I first saw him in Columbus (after the Lee deal) his fastball was extremely hittable. Hasn't changed much in the past 4 years.

Danny Salazar has leapfrogged him in my mind.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Pestano got either traded or sent down, was saying goodbye to people after the game and referred reporters to Antonetti and Francona when they asked about it.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Sent to AAA
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Looks like Peavy will be wearing Red Sox come tomorrow, per the local Boston sports guys. Sox are likely sending Jose Iglesias (SS/3rd) to the Tigers. Wonder who Kluber will be going up against. Better not be the unknown Avisail Garcia - don't know if my nerves can take another game like today.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:37 am

Am I Here Again? wrote:Looks like Peavy will be wearing Red Sox come tomorrow, per the local Boston sports guys. Sox are likely sending Jose Iglesias (SS/3rd) to the Tigers. Wonder who Kluber will be going up against. Better not be the unknown Avisail Garcia - don't know if my nerves can take another game like today.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

It won't be Garcia, he's an outfielder.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:16 am

::doh:: Thanks for the correction TouchEm.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:22 am

The Tigers getting Iglesias points pretty clearly to them thinking Peralta's going to agree to the rumored 50+ game suspension down to the whole biogenisis nonsense.

Makes them a better defensive team up the middle.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:54 am

I didn't realize Julio Iglesias played baseball. Isn't he kinda old?
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 am

Hilarious that the Giants wanted Danny Salazar for Javier Lopez.

Rzepczynski may not be the best lefty out there on the market, but he's controlled through the 2015 season and we gave up what seems like a lukewarm body to get him.

Quality move by Antonetti. Also gives Callaway and Cash a chance to fix him for next season as well. Rich Hill's probably gone, so we were going to be LOOGY-less.

Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs wrote about how Rzepczynski abandoned his slider because he couldn't command it. Cut the amount he was throwing it almost in half, which was his swing-and-miss pitch. Led to him getting battered. I think he needed a change of scenery too. He had really fallen out of favor in St. Louis.

Like I said above, he's an upgrade to the bullpen. He may not be an upgrade to Hill, but I'll take my chances with him against LHB instead of our righties with bad platoon splits.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:40 pm

Bud Norris rumors gaining some traction. I don't see where he fits this season, but the Tribe would have him through at least 2016.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:18 pm

Source: Antonetti is working "feverishly" to re-acquire last year's deadline prizes, Brent Lillibridge and Lars Anderson. Deal said to be gaining traction; I am told it's about 80-20 that it gets done. Stay tuned...
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Bud Norris rumors gaining some traction. I don't see where he fits this season, but the Tribe would have him through at least 2016.

If we could get him without giving up any of our big three (Lindor, Salazar, and Bauer), I'd be receptive, but his youth and years of control probably mean at least one of Bauer/Salazar and some other higher-end guys (Haley? Naquin?) would be on the move, as well. For someone who would be, at best, a solid mid-rotation starter, I'm not sure he's that much of an improvement over what we've got now and going forward, too. His H/9 innings and WHIP are the highest they've been in three years, and his K/9 innings is the lowest in his career. Walk rate is down, so that's a plus.

Like I said, I'd be willing to listen if the cost is low, but the cost ain't gonna be low. Astros want to rebuild and they aren't going to accept a package of low-end guys.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:34 pm

Ben Badler from Baseball America says something built around either Paulino or Naquin would be a starting point.

Norris isn't really a trade for this season. It's to offset the loss of Jimenez and Kazmir in the rotation next year. But they would have to find a place for him somewhere this season.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Ben Badler from Baseball America says something built around either Paulino or Naquin would be a starting point.

Norris isn't really a trade for this season. It's to offset the loss of Jimenez and Kazmir in the rotation next year. But they would have to find a place for him somewhere this season.

I could get on board with that price. Who else do you imagine it would take?

Lock up Masterson, add Norris, and keep Kluber and McCallister around...pretty solid rotation. Only leaves room for one of Salazar/Bauer/ even Carrasco, though...could make for a bit of a crunch, especially if the latter two get it together (which I suspect (hope?) they do. Still, too much pitching is better than the alternative.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 pm

Indians not in on Norris according to those in the know on Twitter (Knobler, Rosenthal, et al).

General consensus is they'd only add a starter if they could get genuine top of the rotation arm...... probably isn't one of them around.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:01 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Indians not in on Norris according to those in the know on Twitter (Knobler, Rosenthal, et al).

General consensus is they'd only add a starter if they could get genuine top of the rotation arm...... probably isn't one of them around.

Certainly makes sense for them to inquire, but not be all that serious.

I don't see them doing anything else.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Yep, gonna be a quiet last hour for the Tribe it would seem.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm

There's not really room for anybody else. Rotation seems set, warts and all. Won't get a position player because they can't DFA anybody on the roster and won't go with one less arm in the pen. Going to need a bullpen roster spot to bring Pestano back up in probably 10-14 days as it is.

Theoretically, they could DFA Reynolds, I guess. But I don't think they want to do that.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:35 pm

According to Jim Bowden, Norris to the O's is a done deal.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:43 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:According to Jim Bowden, Norris to the O's is a done deal.

LJ Hoes (great name)

From BA, Baltimores #6 prospect in the pre-season rating

Background: Hoes has been on Baltimore's radar since 2007, when he played on the organization's Youse's Orioles scout team in the Cal Ripken Collegiate League as a rising high school senior. Signed the next year as a third-round pick, he tried to make it as an infielder but didn't get his bat going until becoming a full-time outfielder in early 2011. He was the organization's minor league hitter of the year in 2012, when he became the first native Maryland position player to play for the big league club since Cal Ripken Jr.
Scouting Report: The organization's best pure hitter, Hoes batted .300 in Triple-A as one of the International League's youngest regulars. He has tremendous bat-to-ball skills and laces line drives to all fields. His plate discipline results in high on-base percentages, though the Orioles still are waiting for his power. Hoes is an above-average runner under way, though he doesn't get out of the box well and is working to improve his reads as a basestealer. He's a gliding outfielder who can play center field but fits best on a corner. He has a solid arm.
The Future: If Hoes develops solid power, he could be an everyday left fielder. After a trip to the Arizona Fall League, he'll get a chance to win a big league job out of spring training.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 pm

I don't know how to break it to you guys, but we released Boof Bonser.

Moment of silence.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:45 pm

He was here and then Boof...he was gone.

/shows self out
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB