Text Size

College Sports Arena

2015 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

2015 Recruiting

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 am

It's not too early to start talking about 2015 recruiting, the kids about to begin their junior seasons in high school, is it?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... class/2015

Of course it is....but here is some info anyway. We all take any recruiting info from ESPN with several grains of salt...they are the least informed...("boots on the ground"-wise, in terms of seeing kids in person) of all the sources of recruiting info, but they put out their lists like all the rest.

Several Ohio kids on this early Top 300 list...Including the Warren Harding DT Hjalte Froholdt at #14, and Canton McKinley athlete/WR Eric Glover-Williams at #29.

Others:

#89 - Elijah Taylor - DT Cinci Moeller
#131 - David Dowell - WR St. Eds (one of the twins, both are D-1 prospects)
#145 - Justin Hilliard - OLB - Cinci St. X
#157 - Jerome Baker - OLB - Cleve. Benedictine
#191 - Darrin Hall - RB - Austintown Fitch
#193 - Anthony McKee - OLB - Walnut Ridge (Cols)
#208 - George Brown Jr. - OT - Cinci Winton Woods
#234 - Simeon Lane - DT - St. X
#244 - Larry Scott - RB - Hubbard
#245 - Reagan Williams - ILB - Jackson
#275 - Matthew Draper - OLB - (Lyndhurst) Brush
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: 2015 Recruiting

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Froholdt may not even come back to the US. He was a foreign exchange student from Denmark (or some other country with fiords).

2015 is going to be a significantly better year for Ohio HS Football.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Givler's got Baker as the early #1 w/ Hilliard and EGW both right there. Either way it's clear 2015 will be a far better year in Ohio than this terrible 2014 class.

247's list is also far better than this crap from ESPN.

ESPN recruiting lists are still bottom of the barrel garbage.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm

ESPN's recruiting info is so bad Chip Kelly would pay $25K for it!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:59 am

Jerome Baker and EGW were both absolute monsters at FNL according to all reports.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:07 am

I guess EGW and Damon Webb went head to head a bunch of times and they both had their victories. If Webb hadn't crushed the competition at every camp this summer I would be worried about Webb. Since we know Webb is an absolutely ELITE DB, this speaks volumes about how ridiculous EGW is.

Is EGW the next Dontre Wilson/De'Anthony Thomas?

I have a feeling he may end up being the best WR/small ball carrier out of Ohio in about a decade. He beat the one of the best 2-3 corners in the country on multiple occasions last night!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:54 am

Kind of hard to guard catches like this:

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:56 am

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:22 am

This is a HUGE get for scUM. That kid is huge and he can fly. I hesitate to make comparison's to Calvin Johnson in most cases, but this is a Calvin Johnson type kid. Very serious football player and a guy I would love to have had in OSU's class. Combine Campbell with Drake Harris as a tandem and scUM will have some really nice WRs in 2016 (Harris as a Jr, Campbell as a Sophomore). That said, there is a long way to go with this kid's recruitment (2 full seasons) and for all we know Brady Hoke could be on the hot seat by the end of the 2015 season. Expectations are getting pretty high, and I am not sure how many 8-5 seasons he can have, although his recruiting will buy him time too. I have to think that if scUM doesn't beat OSU this year, then they are unlikely to until the series shifts back North in 2015.

Maybe DGB is a better comparison as he has similar measurables and is not a NFL pro bowler and probable HoF candidate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... kham-98834

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... en-beckham

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:28 am

It is a videos like this and Dontre Wilson's that make me laugh every time I hear that Jordan Hall is playing the "Percy Harvin" position.

http://blog.preps.com/blog/ayo-fapohund ... -got-next/

Gotta keep reminding myself that this is Sophomore footage.

Holy shit, what is this offense going to look like in 2-3 years? It is going to be interesting to see OSU vs. Michigan in 2016 or so. By then scUM should be back to a power I, 2 back 2 WR groupings with two big, talented outside receivers in Harris and Campbell with a couple of big backs like Derrick Green or Smith.

OSU will be a stark contrast with a mobile QB and 3-4 smallish, greased lightning sort of guys in Wilson, EGW, Samuel and Marshall. Not to mention all the other playmakers like Elliot, McLaurin, Smith etc. Hopefully we have a QB that can throw the ball by then.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:10 am

I happen to really like JT.

The team who has far more QB concerns going forward is scUM, IMO.

And OSU's in on some huge QBs in 2015 already, unlike last year where they didn't like anyone what Watson and Heard at this point. Kid from South Carolina was supposedly amazing at FNL and may be the next to get an offer (another battle with Clemson, yay!).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Kid is insane, commitments made without the parents (they didn't make the trip) 1,000 miles away from home with two years to go are not commitments, they are naming that team your leader.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Anyhow, there are three kids in the state that are elite for 2015 and two kids with 5* shots at Rivals (EGW is too short to ever be what he should be).

The two top recruits are Jerome Baker and Hilliard.

Hilliard is going to commit to UM soon. Ohio should just divorce Cincy, it would be easier.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:03 pm

And I should preface this by saying: on top of that 6'4" dude that ran a 4.36 at the opening commintting they also have locked up the swankiest APB from Kentucky and have said Ohio Guy in the pipeline.

scUM 2015 is going to be fun....

Thank Gawd Baker will poo on HIlliard.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:00 pm

scUM picks up Damien Harris (the KY back). Another very nice pick up. Hoke is recruiting his ass off.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:54 am

So...two years from now, Michigan will have two really good receivers. Will they still have Brady Hoke?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:29 pm

That is a great question. I said earlier that their best shot at OSU in the near future is this year. No way they win in CBus in 2014, and that team will be transitioning in '15. How many years will it be OK to lose to Meyer? I think the fact that they are likely to win most of their other games in 2014 will buy him some time.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:22 pm

danwismar wrote:So...two years from now, Michigan will have two really good receivers. Will they still have Brady Hoke?

Two years absolutely.

Five years ? No , if he can't stop the Urban.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 pm

pod2dawg wrote:
danwismar wrote:So...two years from now, Michigan will have two really good receivers. Will they still have Brady Hoke?

Two years absolutely.

Five years ? No , if he can't stop the Urban.

Better question is who is throwing the ball to those 2 WRs in 2015? Shane Morris???? I saw the "highlights" of his game against St. Ignatius and his elite 11 "highlights" too. He is horribly overrated.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Scout's early Top 100 for 2015.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... 88&yr=2015

Alabama has four of the top 65 already committed. Sheesh.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:43 pm

I am having a hard time getting in to 2015 recruiting.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Truthfully, fuck 247 for starting this shit with these way, way, way too early rankings. They started it and now the entire business is following suit because they have to. I'm good with following in state guys and commits, but national rankings at this point are preposterous and Rivals will have their first set out this month too.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:03 am

Let these guys play their junior year before we anoint a player as the next Jadaveon Clowney. What I hate the most is that these way to early rankings cause bias in later rankings in the same way that preseason NCAAF rankings bias perceptions for an entire football season.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Yeah, as much as I enjoy following recruiting and always have the growth of the coverage is getting to a severely annoying level. You have 55 OSU blogs out there now with "recruiting analysts" that simply run around the internet and copy/paste crap from other sites. If you dare enter the 11W Recruiting Forum good luck not having your head explode from the moronicy within minutes, etc.

I wish these sites would do something like a giant "watch-list" for the first ratings (the current 2015 ratings). Rivals did something like this last year but they still had to go out of their way and name 10 five stars on top of it.

But so many morons are trying to become recruitniks now that it's just going to get worse.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Cleveland peeps need to keep an eye out for Andrew Dowell at Ed's this summer. Kid's twin is a WR/CB but Andrew may end up the better recruit. He was hurt and missed his sophomore year but has had an insane summer camp circuit and is tearing up an Ed's scrimmage right now.

Both twins love OSU unlike Shawn Crawford from Eds who is a scUM lock.

Just a name to watch as there is some talk he could potentially push Scott as the top RB in the state once he gets real game tape together.

JB, you gonna see Scott and Hall run the rock in Y-town this year? Absolutely sick recruiting class for the area in 2015, you should make yourself valuable and watch teams other than overrated Catholic schools.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Some guys at 247 say that Jerome Baker may be the best RB in the state this year based on FNL. He is an "athlete" but they are speculating that he could be special as a RB.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Jerome Baker may be the best in the state at LB and RB. That said, this 2015 is potentially the best RB class in Ohio in a long time and it also is loaded nationally with Meyer already personally recruiting Patrick out of Florida. I just don't see Baker coming on at RB with so many other great options.

That said, who knows, kid is special and will end up the top recruit in the state when it is all said and done.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:48 pm

That is the problem with Baker.... he can play pretty much anywhere, so it is impossible to tell where he will play.

The problem with RB recruiting in OH this year is that "great RB" recruiting in Ohio from my perspective is that the best thing for OSU is to have a Beanie Wells/Clarrett level back in the state. This class is great because of the depth, but it does not have that extreme high end RB. Lots of high 4* guys, but none of them are top 10 overall backs in the nation level. That means that there will be lots of "scraps" for our competition.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:57 pm

This is very true. Hell, Givler started warning the Rivals board last year to not melt down when very good 2015 Ohio RBs end up going to other schools. The depth of the class is just going to make that happen.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 pm

"Mickey is a Buckeye," Ken Mitchell, father of the Rivals100 prospect, called and informed BuckeyeGrove.com on Thursday afternoon. - See more at: http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp ... mGIBJ.dpuf
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:33 am

Very nice.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Time to sticky this because OSU has their first 2015 recruit: EGW.

Since he is committing early this kid will probably remain underrated. He is small so it is easy to justify it, but the way he showed against Damon Webb, the kid has 5* talent. The playmakers in 2015 are going to be SCARY: Wilson, Marshall, EGW, McLaurin, Samuel etc. You not all of these guys are going to dominate, but with this many guys that are this explosive if OSU hits on 1/2 this team will be horrifying.

For those that haven't seen him play I think he is pretty similar to Dontre Wilson, but a little smaller. I think he will be used in a similar way too. You never know, he may grow a couple of inches between now and reporting to OSU in 2015 as he is just entering his Jr. year. My son grew 3 inches last year between his Jr. and Sr. years!

http://247sports.com/Player/Eric-Glover-Williams-22520

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... ams-142150

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=6312519

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:56 pm

EGW Sophomore highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZv1rNqoNxo

Most of the services have him listed as a CB (pretty highly ranked as a CB) but the kid is just too electric with the ball in his hands.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:37 pm

furls wrote:Time to sticky this because OSU has their first 2015 recruit: EGW.

Whic thread gets unstickied?

;-) ;) :wink:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm

2013 after the game on Saturday.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 am

Southpaw quarterback Torrance Gibson is said to be Meyer's #1 target for the 2015 class, and this video helps explain why that is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia0zYz4nTHU&app=desktop

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:57 am

It is literally the most impressive dual threat QB highlight reel I have ever seen.

The kid's speed would be elite for a KR/PR/CB/WR. His cutting ability/acceleration is in the Braxton Miller ballpark, but his top speed is at a completely different level. It is almost.... Ginn-like. He reminds me of RGIII.

Then throwing the ball.... Miller wishes he had the touch this kid displays. It is hard to make any statement about accuracy based on a highlight tape. I could cherry pick Braxton highlights to make him look like Drew Brees, but we all know that is not the case. I will say, on this film, he gets just the right amount of air under the ball.

I loved Deshaun Watson out of GA for 2014, but this kid is just at another level.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:38 pm

2015 5-star RB Damien Harris has just decomitted from TTUN. He just starting following coaches Drayton and Hinton on twitter, and apparently Coach Meyer visited him yesterday.

Look to be in a good spot for both Gibson and Harris at this time......still a long way to go though. Definitely early, but the 2015 class could be one of the best ever at OSU.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:59 pm

2015 should be a pretty good sized class too. OSU goes back up to 85 scholarships in 2015. Hard to say what the number will be right now as we have no idea who will transfer or what the size of the 2014 class will finish at or if Noah Spence/Washington/Schutt/etc. go pro.

Gonna be interesting to see where this class finishes.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:07 pm

not deserving of it's own thread but pretty interesting - an interactive map of over 25,000 college football players and their home counties

http://mode.github.io/blog/2014-01-16-football-hometowns/index.html#
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:43 pm

scUM's bad luck continues.... 5* RB Damien Harris decommits from scUM (to go along with 5* WR George Campbell who decommitted last month).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena