Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Wrigley; any tips?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Wrigley; any tips?

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Work trip to Chicago next week, and will have a chance to catch a game at Wrigley on Monday. I've never been; anyone have any tips/suggestions? Where to sit (bleachers?), where to go before the game, etc?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Wrigley; any tips?

Unread postby aclayman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:39 pm

If you want to save some money, stroll up to a scalper around the second inning and you'll get a pretty prime seat for chicken feed. That stadium sells a lot of tickets but they aren't exactly filling it up on a Monday.
Wrigleyville itself is actually a disappointing douche haven for the most part. Unless you're all about rubbin' shoulders with the bros, you could venture a little out of the way to Lincoln Square (different from Lincoln Park) or something for a more pleasant atmosphere. Then again, the Wrigley sports bars might not be too bad on a Monday, especially with nothing much else going on.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:52 pm

For a real Chicago experience you should have lunch in Cabrini Green and then walk to Wrigley from there...

:salute:

Seriously, if you get off the train at Wrigley there are plenty of places to have a burger and beer or whatever you want.

Once in the park, try not to touch anything with your bare skin.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Wear a Cardinals jersey with a White Sox hat and start talking smack, then urinate on Harry Carey's statue.

I haven't been down there in years, but there are plenty of bars surrounding the area. I'd take the L since parking in that area is very hard to come by and/or extremely expensive. You'll get to mix with the sea of humanity. Took the L down to US Cellular (then Comiskey) years ago to watch the Tribe. Someone had smeared feces on several of the seats. Oh yeah, it was 90 degrees. That was a fantastic 30 minute ride in a packed train car.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

peeker643 wrote:For a real Chicago experience you should have lunch in Cabrini Green and then walk to Wrigley from there...

:salute:

Seriously, if you get off the train at Wrigley there are plenty of places to have a burger and beer or whatever you want.

Once in the park, try not to touch anything with your bare skin.

How bad could it have been there? JJ Walker and his family and friends looked like they were having fun. Good Times!

CG is mostly gone now, razed several years ago along with the Robert Taylor homes across the way from US Cellular.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Before/after the game Murpheys Bleachers is the place to have a few beers. If you take the red line train and get off at Addison take a right after you leave the train station then take another right at the first street you come to and Murpheys will be at the end of that block on your right.

If this is your only time at Wrigley you may want to take in the game in the bleachers if you are interested in the social side of the game more then a serious game experience. You seem like a serious fan though so maybe you would prefer something behind 3rd base. I agree with the previous advice to wait until after the game starts and find a scalper.

By the way Peek, Cabrini Green has gone the way of the dinosaur and James Evans himself and is no more. Redeveloped that whole area for the Yuppies.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks guys (except Peek, of course). Tickets are crazy expensive online, so will probably just try to wait and snag them after the 1st pitch. I'm excited to finally see Wrigley.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:09 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Thanks guys (except Peek, of course). Tickets are crazy expensive online, so will probably just try to wait and snag them after the 1st pitch. I'm excited to finally see Wrigley.

Are you looking at second-hand sites or directly from the Cubs? I don't think Wrigley is sold out, you might be able to get decent seats directly. I'd rather do that so you can get there early, have a beer and a dog and walk around the park....
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:14 pm

I thought tix were very reasonably priced via the cubs team link. IDK.

It is literally a park in a neighborhood. Take the red line El at least 90 minutes early and just explore & enjoy.

It is a wonderful experience where baseball is enough.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:21 am

Bleachers are not a must your first time. Great impression is walking through tunnel to seats on the infield.

Should be tix on the street. The 2nd inning deals are very real on a Monday night. I'd drop a line to anyone personal connects up there, they'll know someone trying to unload Cubs tix this season.

Cabrini Green is beautiful this time of year, I'd recommend getting a reservation, tho.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:04 pm

He's going there to kill some radical Kuwaiti prince who happens to be in town buying $20,000 suits, watches, and sex slaves.

Good for you, Al, twist the garrote once for me.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB