Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best Live Band Show

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Best Live Band Show

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:57 pm

On the serious side,

Three River Stadium

Faith No More
Metallica
Guns-n-Roses

It was Epic (pun intended) That was a week before the famous non-show in Montreal where Hetfield got burned.

Honorable mention: Def Leppard and Billy Squier at Blossom. Not a bad concert, and an all-out fuckfest on the lawn.

Monsters of Rock at the Rubber Bowl was great, other than getting hauled out with heat exhaustion. I still swear it was heat exhaustion...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:16 pm

danwismar wrote:Saw the Dead many, many times....always an event.

Stadium concerts in the 70's were amazing...and planned badly. Most people I ever saw there ...and they never allowed this many people in there again...was the 1974 show...maybe the greatest ever concert for me...in order...Jesse Colin Young, Santana, The Band, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. The entire field area was packed...and down front (stage was set up behind centerfield fence, essentially in the bleachers) where we were, it was packed elbow to elbow. Then the 75,000 or so seats were also probably 90% full, so I've always estimated there were at least 125,000 people there.

My then-girlfriend-now wife left early in the afternoon to go find a ladies room, and got back about three and a half hours later. Most people on the field just pissed where they were. Nice. If I recall, I took some hallucinogen I bought there.

Best shows outside of that for me...Jefferson Airplane, Allman Bros (twice), Stones (Rubber Bowl '72 w/Stevie Wonder opening) The Who, Eagles (at least three times), Byrds, Neil Young (at least 3-4 times), Dead (double digit times),

Best live act/stage show...for energy and fun...no contest...The J.Geils Band

That's fucking impressive, Dan. You and Bill Walton! Who knew?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Stadium concerts in the 70's were amazing...and planned badly. Most people I ever saw there ...and they never allowed this many people in there again...was the 1974 show...maybe the greatest ever concert for me...in order...Jesse Colin Young, Santana, The Band, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. The entire field area was packed...and down front (stage was set up behind centerfield fence, essentially in the bleachers) where we were, it was packed elbow to elbow. Then the 75,000 or so seats were also probably 90% full, so I've always estimated there were at least 125,000 people there.

My then-girlfriend-now wife left early in the afternoon to go find a ladies room, and got back about three and a half hours later. Most people on the field just pissed where they were. Nice. If I recall, I took some hallucinogen I bought there.

Best shows outside of that for me...Jefferson Airplane, Allman Bros (twice), Stones (Rubber Bowl '72 w/Stevie Wonder opening) The Who, Eagles (at least three times), Byrds, Neil Young (at least 3-4 times), Dead (double digit times),

Dan wins.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

Dan wins.

Yeah he does. Holy shit. Nice work Dan. :thumb up:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:52 am

probably saw Dan at Dead shows in Richfield. In fact I may have sold him a liquid cheese, grilled cheese sammich for a buck after the show.

Early 90's after the Dead became an "in" thing to do, shows at Buckeye Lake were really good. Opening acts (seperate years) included Traffic, Sting, and the Violent Femmes.

only draw back was out of the near 100k, 99,000 reaked of patchouli. Add that to mid summer heat, vegan lunch smell, port o pots, and 100+ types of weed in the air and well...
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:57 am

comish wrote:CLUB MTV #1

Tone Loc came from under the stage in a freaking bottle.....good stuff

:salute:

did Milli Vannili's cd skip for you during their performance? ;-) ;) :wink:

same summer I believe as the LL COOL J show when Slick Rick ruled until Big Daddy Kane picked up the mic and stole the night.

Loc woulda been shoved straight back into that btl faster than Barbra Eden trying that before BDK hit the stage.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:05 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Dan wins.

Yeah he does. Holy shit. Nice work Dan. :thumb up:

Not even close. Not surprising though.

Dan, do you recall when Woodstock was approaching? Was it something you considered attending?

Also, do you (or anyone) recall attending concerts in the old Arena?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:09 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:Opening acts (seperate years) included Traffic, Sting, and the Violent Femmes.

Saw the Femmes twice, very good live show. Both of those were clubs, though, not sure how they'd translate to a bigger venue.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am

I prefer smaller venues. I've been to Ozzfests and other giant outdoor concerts, and it's not my thing. The sound is rarely as good as you get in a club. Ozzfests just flat out suck, waiting through 50 shitty mallcore bands like Slipknot, System Of A Down, and a gaggle of other raprock trash to get to the actual metal bands.

That said, I still wish I had caught Pink Floyd at the Shoe.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Cease » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Worst show: Bob Dylan at Allstate Arena (CHI) 2000? I walked out on a personal idol.

Best show: 1) I'll cop out and go with PJ at Soldiers in '95. 2) Tribe/DeLa at the Agora in '94 3) I enjoy Phish shows, especially when camping is involved.

Biggest surprise: Vanilla Ice at Have a Nice Day Cafe in the Flats '99. His "hard core" ban was ill, so he got a local DJ and rapped his hit(s) for 3 hrs., long after everyone left, he was inviting people up to pass the mic. Stayed until everyone who wanted to trade versus did so. Lot of respect for the dude after that. He could have cancelled or mailed it in, he gave us our $6 worth.

Had tix to GD Richfield Fall '95., Jerry died in August. Bummer.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Helmet in the early-mid 90's was always a must see...

now I gotta go home a pull out Meantime for the weekend
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:07 pm

No to your question about Woodstock, Greg. I was still in high school, ('70 grad) and in athlete/student mode..very straight...could count the beers I drank before college on the fingers of one hand...OK, maybe two hands. I had never laid eyes on pot in high school, let alone smoked any.

Despite the Dead fandom, I never had to travel far to see them....never out of state as far as I recall. Public Aud, and the smaller Public Hall downtown, Blossom, Coliseum...I did go to Buckeye Lake once to see them in the early 90's. Always hated the smell of patchouli, (and of Dead Heads in general)

Remember once when I was, I think in my 20's...in a conversation about Dead Heads...I volunteered "I'm a Dead Head"...and the guy said, "No you're not...you have a job".

He had a point, and I never made that claim again.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Cease wrote:Worst show: Bob Dylan at Allstate Arena (CHI) 2000? I walked out on a personal idol.

Best show: 1) I'll cop out and go with PJ at Soldiers in '95. 2) Tribe/DeLa at the Agora in '94 3) I enjoy Phish shows, especially when camping is involved.

Biggest surprise: Vanilla Ice at Have a Nice Day Cafe in the Flats '99. His "hard core" ban was ill, so he got a local DJ and rapped his hit(s) for 3 hrs., long after everyone left, he was inviting people up to pass the mic. Stayed until everyone who wanted to trade versus did so. Lot of respect for the dude after that. He could have cancelled or mailed it in, he gave us our $6 worth.

Had tix to GD Richfield Fall '95., Jerry died in August. Bummer.

I believe I have the Bootleg of the PJ Soldier Field '95 show. VERY Jealous. I'll have to dig through my "Magic Box" of bootlegs to know for sure (I have a couple hundred bootlegs between PJ, OLD Metallica, DMB, Phish and Foo Fighters).

Watching Club Shows of Reel Big Fish in the Late '90s was a highlight of the times for me. Those guys knew how to put on a show. Then I saw them in 2004 and they were down to about two original members and it just wasn't the same.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 pm

Damn you guys make me feel young. :lmfao:
Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 am

I imagine Pearl Jam's show at Wrigley Field last night was epic. Delayed three hours due to bad thunderstorms, they still came out and played a full set deep into the night.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Bonnaroo 2007, probably the best lineup for that festival to this date. I'm not listing all the great acts there, but Rodrigo y Gabriela were unfucking real the first night of the show. Day 2 was a blur for me but had Tool, DJ Shadow, Aesop Rock, Cold War Kids, The Black Keys, Paolo Nutini and Kings of Leon. Easily the best live show I've ever been to, though I don't remember half of it (seems like 60 years ago not 6).
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Bruce Springsteen at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. No opener, and the fuckers rocked all night. Full of energy. I bet he couldn't pull that now.

As a non-redneck teen in the early 80's, Bruce was our voice. The Boss. The River and Born in the USA (albums) defined that generation. Like the grungers in the 90's.

What a night.

RIP Clarence Clemens.
Spin

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 am

peeker643 wrote:I 'saw' Dylan, Petty and The Dead at the Rubber Bowl in 1985. I remember not a thing except they hosed people off who were on the field because it was about 15* hotter than it is today and that it's inadviseable to eat those candy dots stuck to paper strips at any Dead show.

Man, once the chemicals wore off I thought I was like on a box car to a Japanese prison camp. It was that hot.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 am

IDK from "best".

Among the most interesting experiences were seeing Black Flag in Kent at JB's in the early/mid 80's. Rollins was pretty new to the band I think and he tried to pull himself up to the drop ceiling and he ended up tearing part of it down. Which meant everyone else started doing same and the aluminum and tiles got stomped into coat hangers and dust. I probably have latent lung cancer from all the asbestos.

I used to write concert features for a short lived free fishwrap in Cleveland and got comped quite a bit, so I was lucky to see alot of band break in the early to mid 90's. Also had a college buddy who worked for radio 1 before going to ATL when the mergers started and got backstage a bit. Got to meet the Beasties on the Check your Head Tour and was expecting all you saw in their 80's videos. What I got as Mike D reading the WSJ checking on his portfolio and them drinking Evian.

He does some cheesy stuff, but I never saw Adrien Belew put on a bad show. Never gets mentioned when people are having their obligatory great guitarist conversations but dude was really talented, esp with King Crimson.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am

jb wrote:He does some cheesy stuff, but I never saw Adrien Belew put on a bad show. Never gets mentioned when people are having their obligatory great guitarist conversations but dude was really talented, esp with King Crimson.

This.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 pm

OK, it came to me...

In the 90's there was this thing called "The Escape From NY Tour". It was at nautica on the river, I forget what its called now. But it was a quad billing of The Ramones on one of the last tours before Joey got sick & died, Debbie Harry, The Tom Tom Club and Jerry Harrison. The lats two acts are Talking Heads without Byrne. It was the musics I'd grown up with a few years earlier and I was into Harrison's solo work with Casual Gods. The three heads members also did a set together. Listening to the Ramones just blast through their anthology is just not anything I'll ever forget, and after having seen them before I brought the cotton for my ears. Even Debbie Harry was good signing old Blondie stuff but her voice was pretty rough live.

That's probably the one if I had to recreate only one I'd want to see again.

Saw Byrne & Eno there the next summer and that was up there as well.

I did forget about the crash of the 9 inch nails fans storming the pavillion at Blossom at the original Lallipalooza. I think that must be what it would have looked like being rushed in a pitched battle. Looked like the zombie scene in Jerusalem in WWZ.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Cease wrote: 2) Tribe/DeLa at the Agora in '94 3)

Very, very jealous. Hip hop at its peak IMO.
jb

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:29 pm

jb wrote:OK, it came to me...

In the 90's there was this thing called "The Escape From NY Tour". It was at nautica on the river, I forget what its called now. But it was a quad billing of The Ramones on one of the last tours before Joey got sick & died, Debbie Harry, The Tom Tom Club and Jerry Harrison. The lats two acts are Talking Heads without Byrne. It was the musics I'd grown up with a few years earlier and I was into Harrison's solo work with Casual Gods. The three heads members also did a set together. Listening to the Ramones just blast through their anthology is just not anything I'll ever forget, and after having seen them before I brought the cotton for my ears. Even Debbie Harry was good signing old Blondie stuff but her voice was pretty rough live.

That's probably the one if I had to recreate only one I'd want to see again.

Saw Byrne & Eno there the next summer and that was up there as well.

I did forget about the crash of the 9 inch nails fans storming the pavillion at Blossom at the original Lallipalooza. I think that must be what it would have looked like being rushed in a pitched battle. Looked like the zombie scene in Jerusalem in WWZ.

Nautica used to always put together good bills for a time

Echo and the Bunnymen / New Order/ Gene lover Jezebel was another outstanding show

and I was waiting for someone to bring up the original 'palooza.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Saw Belew once, in a band he called The Bears. 3-piece band- admired him a lot; just not my thing really. Loved Talking Heads, but he was way in the other direction from my taste. No real melodies, IIRC.

Speaking of 3 piece bands, one guy I forgot who just rocked was Johnny Winter. I'd see that again.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:10 pm

I see nobody is fessing up to seeing Winger. I could swear I saw Cinderella and Ratt at some point but fuck it all if can't remember. If so they need to go in my Meh category.

First, I cannot go against Eoy here. Tool hands down, and I missed out earlier shows, the first time I saw them was 2010, right as we were about to move to Orlando. I remember walking out with my 13 year old thinking what the fuck just happened. An Aenima encore does strange things to the mind. That and seeing 46 Or 2 with all the different time signatures coming together, live and sounding so perfect. 2011 they came to UCF, twas fantastic.

Near the top
Rush - Irvine, 2008
Page/Plant Reunion Arena can't remember what year
Neil Young, Reunion 1990? ,
Slipknot SD Viejas,
Aerosmith in SD amphitheater, and
Deep Purple - Richfield, 87 I think?

Entertaining but not otherwise memorable mostly all around NEOhio
Tom Petty, Mellencamp, Van Hagar, Stones, Pink Floyd, Motley Crue/Whitesnake, The Cult/Billy Idol

Red Rocks Denver shows (both good)
Joan Jett/Robert Plant
Brian Setzer/George Thorogood

Acts I plan to make it a point to see :
System of a Down
Pearl Jam
Tool
Foo Fighters

Meh Shows
Creed, INXS -> (WMMS freebie)

Acts I wished I'd caught but not sure I'd pay big bucks now
Bob Seger, Metallica,