Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Orange Is The New Black

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Watched the first several episodes of this last night on Netflix - very solid show, funny. If you liked the first couple seasons of Weeds (which I did), this should be right up your alley.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 pm

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
User avatar
gotribe31
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:54 pm

He's right about the bingeing, I meant to watch one episode last night and ended up watching 5. And those puppies are 50 minutes each.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 am

I binge watched House Of Cards and Hemlock Grove (LOL). Was never into Weeds, so i'll probably skip this one.

I made it 5 episodes into the 1st season of Newsroom before I decided I didn't really like it. Daniels and Waterson were great, the rest of the cast and their story lines just didn't do anything for me.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:36 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I made it 5 episodes into the 1st season of Newsroom before I decided I didn't really like it. Daniels and Waterson were great, the rest of the cast and their story lines just didn't do anything for me.


That about sums it up for me also. Too... soap-opera-y.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 am

Hikohadon wrote:Watched the first several episodes of this last night on Netflix - very solid show, funny. If you liked the first couple seasons of Weeds (which I did), this should be right up your alley.



Into episode 3.

It's good.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I made it 5 episodes into the 1st season of Newsroom before I decided I didn't really like it. Daniels and Waterson were great, the rest of the cast and their story lines just didn't do anything for me.


That about sums it up for me also. Too... soap-opera-y.


Agree. I made it through the whole 1st season. The good parts and Sorkinesque speeches and such made the rest of the of the bullshit tolerable. But just barely. All of the love triangle stuff is just...ugh. Just stop. Stop it.

I've seen the first episode of season 2, and I keep finding something else, anything else, to watch rather than the second episode.

On Topic - OITNB looks like something I will definitely check out. I've heard good things.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7739
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:00 pm

OT

I watched the entire 1st season of Copper and enjoyed it. I'm a fan of the time period and the setting of Five Points is hard to beat. The story gets a little goofy and tries to be too clever at times, but it's a fun show. The acting is good and the set pieces are great. Currently getting caught up on season 2.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:26 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I made it 5 episodes into the 1st season of Newsroom before I decided I didn't really like it. Daniels and Waterson were great, the rest of the cast and their story lines just didn't do anything for me.


That about sums it up for me also. Too... soap-opera-y.


Agree. I made it through the whole 1st season. The good parts and Sorkinesque speeches and such made the rest of the of the bullshit tolerable. But just barely. All of the love triangle stuff is just...ugh. Just stop. Stop it.

I've seen the first episode of season 2, and I keep finding something else, anything else, to watch rather than the second episode.

On Topic - OITNB looks like something I will definitely check out. I've heard good things.


In this franchise, The Sorkian speeches ARE the bull shit.

maybe I'be just aged since the start of TWW that much?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:OT

I watched the entire 1st season of Copper and enjoyed it. I'm a fan of the time period and the setting of Five Points is hard to beat. The story gets a little goofy and tries to be too clever at times, but it's a fun show. The acting is good and the set pieces are great. Currently getting caught up on season 2.


Plus Donal Logue if I'm not mistaken, correct? Is it on Netflix?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7739
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:23 pm

jb wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I made it 5 episodes into the 1st season of Newsroom before I decided I didn't really like it. Daniels and Waterson were great, the rest of the cast and their story lines just didn't do anything for me.


That about sums it up for me also. Too... soap-opera-y.


Agree. I made it through the whole 1st season. The good parts and Sorkinesque speeches and such made the rest of the of the bullshit tolerable. But just barely. All of the love triangle stuff is just...ugh. Just stop. Stop it.

I've seen the first episode of season 2, and I keep finding something else, anything else, to watch rather than the second episode.

On Topic - OITNB looks like something I will definitely check out. I've heard good things.


In this franchise, The Sorkian speeches ARE the bull shit.

maybe I'be just aged since the start of TWW that much?


But they're still fun to listen to.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7739
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:47 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:OT

I watched the entire 1st season of Copper and enjoyed it. I'm a fan of the time period and the setting of Five Points is hard to beat. The story gets a little goofy and tries to be too clever at times, but it's a fun show. The acting is good and the set pieces are great. Currently getting caught up on season 2.


Plus Donal Logue if I'm not mistaken, correct? Is it on Netflix?


Logue is in season 2. The cast is all pretty good, except for Annie.

And yes, it's on Netflix, but if you have TWC On Demand it's free on the BBCAmerica tab with the current season 2 episodes.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:20 pm

motherscratcher wrote:On Topic - OITNB looks like something I will definitely check out. I've heard good things.


Well, if you've ever wondered what Donna's (That 70's Show) boobs look like, you have to wait about 5 seconds into the first episode to find out.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:On Topic - OITNB looks like something I will definitely check out. I've heard good things.


Well, if you've ever wondered what Donna's (That 70's Show) boobs look like, you have to wait about 5 seconds into the first episode to find out.


Actually, I have wondered.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7739
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:On Topic - OITNB looks like something I will definitely check out. I've heard good things.


Well, if you've ever wondered what Donna's (That 70's Show) boobs look like, you have to wait about 5 seconds into the first episode to find out.


Actually, I have wondered.


Who hasn't?
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:On Topic - OITNB looks like something I will definitely check out. I've heard good things.


Well, if you've ever wondered what Donna's (That 70's Show) boobs look like, you have to wait about 5 seconds into the first episode to find out.


Actually, I have wondered.


Who hasn't?


Johnny Weir
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7739
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 am

I extended my Netflix a month after canceling it to watch this. If it sucks I'm personally holding mother responsible.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby jb » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:07 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I extended my Netflix a month after canceling it to watch this. If it sucks I'm personally holding mother responsible.



being serious, arguably the best character development in this sort of thing I've seen in a while. Overt and formulaic in the character development but done very, very well.

Just my opinion, man.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I extended my Netflix a month after canceling it to watch this. If it sucks I'm personally holding mother responsible.



I'm through five episodes; it's good. As jb said, very good character development.
Fuck the Browns...
User avatar
rebelwithoutaclue
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Under them Skies of Blue
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:57 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I extended my Netflix a month after canceling it to watch this. If it sucks I'm personally holding mother responsible.



being serious, arguably the best character development in this sort of thing I've seen in a while. Overt and formulaic in the character development but done very, very well.

Just my opinion, man.


I think they could have gone formulaic. From a lot of the first impressions, you think "OK, this character is this" and then they develop and surprise you. A lot of them I assumed I knew what role they would play, but they switch back and forth from good to bad and back again often enough that you aren't sure what to expect. Even with the main character, who I am getting more and more convinced is nuts.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Orange Is The New Black

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:31 am

Finished up the season tonight, fucking GREAT ending. Can't wait for Season 2, though it'll probably be a letdown. Props to this show, though. Big surprise how good a Netflix series can be.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin


Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests