Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Whither Cultural Critics?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Whither Cultural Critics?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:54 pm

jb wrote:No no no a thousand times no.

Taste is always informed. Taste always inplies perspective. These can not be parsed as such.

How did you know to love the first book you ever loved? You didn't have to run through the entire Western Canon before re-reading everything and then deciding what was good and what wasn't, did you?

I'll just assume we're talking about different things, somehow, because as far as the thing I'm talking about goes, you're dead wrong.

:gah:
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:00 pm

:wow:
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Yeah but bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 pm

"It seems to me that a good formula to test the quality of a novel is, in the long run, a merging of the precision of poetry and the intuition of science. In order to bask in that magic a wise reader reads the book of genius not with his heart, not so much with his brain, but with his spine. It is there that occurs the telltale tingle even though we must keep a little aloof, a little detached when reading."

-Nabokov

"EMBRACE THE TINGLE, JB"

-Me
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Reading what the shithead AV Club has to say about anything is a waste of time. I'm capable of seeing a movie or show and deciding on my own if I enjoyed it or not. The hipster needs to be told what other hipsters are into, less they lose their hipster status.

I shit on the AV Club and the slits that work there.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:03 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Reading what the shithead AV Club has to say about anything is a waste of time. I'm capable of seeing a movie or show and deciding on my own if I enjoyed it or not. The hipster needs to be told what other hipsters are into, less they lose their hipster status.

I shit on the AV Club and the slits that work there.

Music and movies are so subjective that it isn't really worth the effort to read what are so called expert opinions on them, many people listen or view for different reasons for starters.

I can understand a critic with time in the business and that might understand lazy directing or lazy casting etc. But critiquing such work in general is disingenuous and subjective in and of itself.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:30 am

FUDU wrote:WHY READ QUALITY, INTERESTING WRITING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT MAY TEACH ME SOMETHING ABOUT SAID ART OR PROVIDE A UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE WHEN I CAN SHOOT CANS PRACTICING IN MY BACK YARD AND WATCH NANCY GRACE TO GET MY DEFENSE IN LINE!!!#$!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Fuck your AV Club, you're always looking for some hipster shit to pimp around here. You act like you're so cool for finding it, like you're fucking Indiana Jones or some shit. Then once "your thing" gets too popular you distance yourself from it and bag on other people for enjoying it.

Please, someone explain to me why I should give one fuck about anything the AV Club has to say. Just one fuck.

AV; "That episode needed better writing, I could write better, these writers suck, writing writing writing writing writing, plot, blah it sucks. Where's my skinny jeans and my awesome Thundercats belt buckle?"

Ugh.... it's probably like the Slugline office in House Of Cards.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Talk about not knowing what one is talking about and eieio walks in the room, how ironic.

Has anyone ever been as wrong (and as often) about trying to represent what others think or do than him? LOL, um no.

Is there anyone more in need of intellectual validation than this schmuck, JFC.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:11 pm

I most certainly didn't find The AV Club until it was extremely popular CDT. I mean, it's owned by The Onion, man that certainly is a new hipster thing!

And hijacking this thread to go all hipster bashing is whatever. Why not, ya know?

BTW: I'd laugh if you ever saw what some of those guys look like. I mean Todd VanDerWerf is a hilariously pudgy and homely dude that wouldn't know fashion if it kicked him in the face. This isn't about hipster anything, I've been reading reviewers since I was a little kid, same as many here/in this discussion. It's not your thing, fine. Move on instead of creating a grounds for racist schmuks to shit all over.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 pm

I like the AV Club. Visit regularly. Full disclosure, I think I first saw it when e0 posted one of Todd's mad Men reviews, which are the best I've found. He's a great writer/reviewer of other shows as well. Never found anything particularly hipsterish about anything there. And I haven't been one to shy away from busting e0s balls about being a hipster.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Also, I counted yesterday and I've seen 43 of the Best Picture no
Nominees. More than I thought it would be truthfully. Turned out I'd seen virtually all of them for the first 5 years and only a handful from the second 5 years. The drop off Kind of coincides with having kids. Imagine that.

It also probably coincides to the rise in more /varied really good TV and DVR service somewhat. On any given night now I'm far more likely to be catching up on TV than throwing in a bluray. I'm still not sure how I actually feel abou hat development.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:38 pm

And hijacking this thread to go all hipster bashing is whatever. Why not, ya know?

I know, right? That's why I did it.

BTW: I'd laugh if you ever saw what some of those guys look like. I mean Todd VanDerWerf is a hilariously pudgy and homely dude that wouldn't know fashion if it kicked him in the face.

I don't care. My mental image is what I go by.

This isn't about hipster anything, I've been reading reviewers since I was a little kid, same as many here/in this discussion. It's not your thing, fine. Move on instead of creating a grounds for racist schmuks to shit all over.

I deeply apologize for my AV Club bashing and interrupting this thoughtful and fully intelligent discussion on the movie review process. I will indeed "move on", since you asked so politely and you are a master of this tactic yourself.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:40 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Also, I counted yesterday and I've seen 43 of the Best Picture no
Nominees. More than I thought it would be truthfully. Turned out I'd seen virtually all of them for the first 5 years and only a handful from the second 5 years. The drop off Kind of coincides with having kids. Imagine that.

It also probably coincides to the rise in more /varied really good TV and DVR service somewhat. On any given night now I'm far more likely to be catching up on TV than throwing in a bluray. I'm still not sure how I actually feel abou hat development.

That's fucked up, bro. You can't decide between watching TV or a Bluray? That's a King Solomon like dilemma.

I hope it works out, Hoss.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I will indeed "move on", since you asked so politely and you are a master of this tactic yourself.

I don't shit all over people having actual discourse. Though I know it could appear that way since actual thought out discourse here is incredibly rare.

I am impressed you have a mental image of people who do nothing but watch TV/movies and have done so for most of their lives that highlights them as high fashion hipsters. I mean, people that rarely leave their homes (especially TV writers) are exactly the type of person I see as high society hipsters!
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:33 pm

One more post. And it's about the original topic. When I said that I like smart people write about hinge I meant that simply. Those who pointed out that the author was making a fairly obvious point are right, but it's a point that I hadn't actually given any real thought to before reading. I think a lot of good writing is like that, takin somewhat obvious ideas and writing a clear and concise explanation I that idea.

Maybe I like that because I struggle with that. I'm not clearly articulate. Nobody ever seems to know what the fuck I'm talking about.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:34 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I'm not clearly articulate. Nobody ever seems to know what the fuck I'm talking about.

It's their fault mother, just know that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Also, I counted yesterday and I've seen 43 of the Best Picture no

All that is accurate, and then throw in that Hollywood went from 5 best picture noms to 9/10 about that same time, which means you've got twice the number of films you're lukewarm about watching to watch. Even in my film school days when I tried to watch all the best pic noms, I'd probably not have found the energy to watch the many hipster sonnets.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:40 am

I don't shit all over people having actual discourse.

Are you serious?

You just did this to FUDU in the Zimmerman thread. I remember all caps was being more than once.

Though I know it could appear that way since actual thought out discourse here is incredibly rare.

So..... if a discussion doesn't meet your standards of "thought out discourse", then it's fine to shit all over it?

I am impressed you have a mental image of people who do nothing but watch TV/movies and have done so for most of their lives that highlights them as high fashion hipsters. I mean, people that rarely leave their homes (especially TV writers) are exactly the type of person I see as high society hipsters!

Okay.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:46 am

If you had spent 11 years reading FUDU you would have done the same. I take a seniority mulligan there, as he, a proven and documented black hater that loves shooting guns is commenting in a thread doin FUDU; he is a mod of his own private version of the WWR and anytime he posts here I will rip into him for being what he is, a racist chunk of white trash the West Side has to live in fear of. You know, the type that doesn't have a college degree yet works in robotics and tells you about The Law, all the while toting a shitty 9MM and driving a dart?

That said, you actually consider that a good thread? LIke really? SO MUCH I LEARNED FROM THAT!!!! NANCY GRACE IS GEEZEZ!

Fuck FUDU, fuck you for bringing him to this thread and fuck FUDU's mom for making him.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 am

I think FUDU has a .357.

Fuck FUDU, fuck you for bringing him to this thread and fuck FUDU's mom for making him.

You should do drugs or something. Very angry.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:24 am

PS: The Av Club guys and another ten guys that are worth reading all left their jobs and started a movie review website.

http://thedissolve.com/

The guys can write and the site is pretty. Beyond that it's up to you!!!

http://thedissolve.com/features/the-con ... -characte/
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Lord Jeezus, I believe I'd shoot myself if that were my job.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:28 am

You mean you wouldn't be interested in having to watch Computer Chess?

http://thedissolve.com/reviews/56-computer-chess/
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If you had spent 11 years reading FUDU you would have done the same. I take a seniority mulligan there, as he, a proven and documented black hater that loves shooting guns is commenting in a thread doin FUDU; he is a mod of his own private version of the WWR and anytime he posts here I will rip into him for being what he is, a racist chunk of white trash the West Side has to live in fear of. You know, the type that doesn't have a college degree yet works in robotics and tells you about The Law, all the while toting a shitty 9MM and driving a dart?

That said, you actually consider that a good thread? LIke really? SO MUCH I LEARNED FROM THAT!!!! NANCY GRACE IS GEEZEZ!

Pathetic, not to mention factually wrong on almost all counts, but keep your projections coming, its what you do.

FUDU

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture