Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Salazar starting on Thursday

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Salazar starting on Thursday

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Probably doesn't deserve it's own thread but I didn't know where else to put it..... Indians have made it official that 23-year old Danny Salazar will start on Thursday against the Jays and RA Dickey.

100K to just 23BB in 76IP (61H, 3.08ERA) at AA/AAA this year..... big arm but has been on an 80-85 pitch count in the minors after some early season shoulder stiffness.

Bit of a push to see him in MLB on that pitch count but, better to hope for 4-5 solid innings out of him than settle for the inevitable 4 innings of crap from Bauer/Carrasco.

It may be a case of he's very much in the shop window with the Indians looking to make a trade for a starter, Salazar is a guy that could be highly sought after.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Salazar starting on Thursday

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Good luck, kid.

Everything I've read profiles him as a back-end of the pen guy because he's got a smallish frame and they're not sure he can withstand pitching in the rotation. Terrific stuff, so maybe that'd be a good fit for him.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Yeah, he probably profiles as a back-end guy down the road due to a TJ surgery in his past and the pitch count restrictions, but I'm really looking forward to watching him pitch.

He's a guy by stats alone that I've followed since his DSL days in 2007 when, along with Elvis Arajuo, I picked him as a guy to follow. Sadly, Arajuo hasn't had the same development curve, in some part due to injury. But, it's always great to see a guy you've followed for the best part of 6 years make it to the majors.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:34 pm

If he can give them five solid innings I'm sure they'll be happy.

God, our bullpen is crap. Rich Hill is dogmeat. Tonight he walked a left-handed hitter who came around and scored the go-ahead run. Smith came in and just imploded - walk, single, hit batter, single.

At least Vinnie looked pretty good. Maybe he's coming around.

Bring up C.C. Lee.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:11 am

In Joe Smith's defense, it was his 4th straight day pitching - not an ideal time for him to be on the mound.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 am

Hope Trevor Bauer got the message and the wake up call. Pedigree got him his chances. Prolly gonna actually have to earn the next one. As Corey Kluber shows, Tribe don't ultimately care where you came from. Just get here and get better.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

There was no game post for yesterday, but anyone surprised to see Esmil Rogers actually looking like a half-way decent back-end type starter? No wonder Toronto was willing to part with a couple of major leaguers for him.

As for today, I don't see how our bullpen doesn't get chewed up further unless we are making a roster move to bring up a pen arm.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:54 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:In Joe Smith's defense, it was his 4th straight day pitching - not an ideal time for him to be on the mound.

A little 20/20, though I said it last night at the game, you have to live and die with Hill against Arencibia there. Bonifacio and Kawasaki coming up, Smith would be working on his fourth straight day. Have to leave it up to Hill.

They were caught in a horrible situation yesterday. Preston Guilmet's first career appearance with 2B & 3B and two out. Not ideal, though he was impressive. I also think Guilmet should have been left in to face Bautista and Encarnacion the following inning. Why burn Pestano in that spot if Smith is essentially unavailable and you're not going to use Perez? Not like we were protecting a lead. It was a tie game. I get that it was a "confidence building" appearance for Pestano, but when the bullpen is that taxed, that's not the spot to play mind games.

I'll give Francona a little more leeway for yesterday since the bullpen was wrecked and you'll be lucky to get five or more from Salazar today, but Masterson shouldn't have faced Bonifacio. He had his chance to get out of it and walked a .111 hitter. Go to Hill or even Albers in that spot against Bonifacio. Either one is a better option than Masterson at 115 pitches and clearly fighting it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 pm

That changeup to Reyes was nasty.

I've already got an unhealthy obsession with this kid.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:26 pm

skatingtripods wrote:That changeup to Reyes was nasty.

Home on my lunch break. All of his change ups have been nasty, especially when he can run it up there at 97. If he has those two pitches, he may not need a third to be an effective starter.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Looks like a split-change. Man, that is a plus-plus pitch. He's shown pretty good command with the fastball as well. Good life, good explosion. Waiting to see him mix in the curve and slider, even if they're just for show.

Kid punches out the side hacking in the 2nd.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 pm

Hafner getting injured by the pitching machine (HBP in foot) makes the second 2012 Indian to get hurt by a machine this season. Casey Kotchman ran into a pop up machine earlier this year.

Somehow seems fitting.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 pm

The scoring officials these days are pussies. That is absolutely an error; routine grounder.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:44 pm

There's the slider from Salazar. A little late movement at 86. Nearly a whiff.

Comes back with the gas at 98. Little bit flatter of a changeup.

Chisenhall out there without sunglasses. Four clouds in the sky. Lets pop up fall, becomes a walk.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:40 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:That changeup to Reyes was nasty.

Home on my lunch break. All of his change ups have been nasty, especially when he can run it up there at 97. If he has those two pitches, he may not need a third to be an effective starter.

It's funny, coming into 2013 his slider was his best secondary offering. Changeup was flat and inconsistent. This year, it's been the opposite. Almost like he worked exclusively on the changeup this offseason at the expense of the slider.

Both pitches flash plus. If either remain consistently plus and the other can be consistently above-average, he can stick in the rotation. If not, he'll be destined for the bullpen. Gotta have 3 pitches to consistently get MLB hitters out.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Gotta have 3 pitches to consistently get MLB hitters out.

Percentages favor starters with 3 offerings but it's not always the case. Randy Johnson was a 2 pitch pitcher. Bartolo Colon has thrown just his fastball 85% of the time this year. Shelby Miller has thrown his fastball/curveball 96% of the time this year.

Guys can succeed with 2 pitches. Will Salazar? Who knows. I only saw the first two innings and don't remember even seeing a slider thrown. All I know is he made some guys look like fools today off just his fastball/changeup combo. Nasty, filthy stuff. Reminded me of when a young James Shields used to carve up the Indians while with the Devil Rays, only Salazar throws harder.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Guys can succeed with 2 pitches. Will Salazar? Who knows. I only saw the first two innings and don't remember even seeing a slider thrown. All I know is he made some guys look like fools today off just his fastball/changeup combo. Nasty, filthy stuff. Reminded me of when a young James Shields used to carve up the Indians while with the Devil Rays, only Salazar throws harder.

When the PITCHf/x data comes out, I think we'll see 6-8 sliders mixed in. I didn't see any curveballs, which he supposedly throws. I did see a couple straight changes that didn't dive like the split-change. Looked like there were some fastballs at 93-94 that had a little comeback run. That along with the 95+ straight four-seamer.

Seemed to me like he threw five pitches. Two, four, split-change, straight change, slider. Two plus offerings with the four and split-change. Serviceable straight change and slider. Don't think I saw enough two-seamers to evaluate, but it's an extra wrinkle. That's my amateur opinion on his pitches. Doesn't jive with the scouting reports I've seen, but I was watching pretty closely.

I don't think it's the stuff or the repertoire that project him to the pen, I think it's his size and durability.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:38 pm

When the PITCHf/x data comes out, I think we'll see 6-8 sliders mixed in. I didn't see any curveballs, which he supposedly throws. I did see a couple straight changes that didn't dive like the split-change. Looked like there were some fastballs at 93-94 that had a little comeback run. That along with the 95+ straight four-seamer.

Yeah I taped the game and am gonna watch it when I get home. It will be interesting to see how he attacked the hitters the second time through the lineup. If he can maintain the fastball and changeup as borderline plus/plus pitches, he'll only need to show a 3rd/4th pitch to keep guys guessing.

And to your other point, he did seem slender out there. He's listed at 6'0 190 but didn't look 190, maybe 175. He's only 23 though so time will tell if he can add some extra weight. Definitely has the stuff.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Thank God, albeit about 7 years late, the Tribe seems to be running some ARMS out there, instean of Jeremy SowTrablaffy.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:43 pm

leadpipe wrote:Thank God, albeit about 7 years late, the Tribe seems to be running some ARMS out there, instean of Jeremy SowTrablaffy.

LOL.

The soft tossing lefty era, forever burned into the minds of Indians fans everywhere.

To be fair though, they tried some arms during that era, like Ferb Cabrara, ROCKER! and Fausto!

Those arms just really, really blew.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Thank God, albeit about 7 years late, the Tribe seems to be running some ARMS out there, instean of Jeremy SowTrablaffy.

LOL.

The soft tossing lefty era, forever burned into the minds of Indians fans everywhere.

To be fair though, they tried some arms during that era, like Ferb Cabrara, ROCKER! and Fausto!

Those arms just really, really blew.

Soft tossing is one thing. Soft tossing your highest draft picks is another.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:59 pm

But Jeremy Sowers threads were some of the greatest in internet history, regardless of the board they were posted on.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 pm

You guys had to enjoy the propenents comps of TOm Glavine and Jamie Moyer when talking those guys though.

That was always my favorite. They'd compare our stiffs with 2 of maybe the 4,000 or so that never did. But we were lucky enough to have the 3rd & 4th in our system...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Salazar got screwed by the ump in the 6th. The ump failed to call a 3rd strike on Thole to lead off the 5th on a pitch that was CLEARLY a strike... not even borderline. Almost right down the middle. Thole then gets a cheap hit, the first hit off Salazar. Then two outs later, Thole comes around to score when Bautista gets the 2nd hit off Salazar... However, had Thole been appropriately called out on strikes, the inning would have been over and Salazar would have had 6 no-hit innings in his 1st ever start.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:03 pm

OldDawg wrote:Salazar got screwed by the ump in the 6th. The ump failed to call a 3rd strike on Thole to lead off the 5th on a pitch that was CLEARLY a strike... not even borderline. Almost right down the middle. Thole then gets a cheap hit, the first hit off Salazar. Then two outs later, Thole comes around to score when Bautista gets the 2nd hit off Salazar... However, had Thole been appropriately called out on strikes, the inning would have been over and Salazar would have had 6 no-hit innings in his 1st ever start.

That call was beyond belief. Yan looks back at the ump with a clearly WTF? look you can see through the mask. Even Thole was shaking his head.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB