Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

MLB Trade Deadline 2013

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

MLB Trade Deadline 2013

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 pm

First big domino falls today. Ricky Nolasco traded to the Dodgers for Steven Ames, Josh Wall, and Angel Sanchez. None are very big names, with Sanchez as MLB.com Jonathan Mayo's 8th-best prospect in the LAD system.

Might as well start looking at this thread. Barring an epic failure the rest of July, I'd imagine the Indians would try to be buyers instead of sellers, so there should be a good amount of rumors about them.

Bastian said last week that the front office seems to be focusing on a starter, while Castrovince mentions Norris, Samardzija, and Gallardo as possible targets.

Buster Olney also linked the Indians to Matt Garza negotiations in an ESPN Insider post.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: MLB Trade Deadline 2013

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:18 pm

I'm happy with most of those names if the deal doesn't include Lindor. Garza is a free agent after this season, so maybe he could come cheap as a rental. From what I've heard--I think from Castrovince--the Indians seem more interested in someone they can control past this year (Samardzija, Gallardo). In that case, the price (Lindor? Shudder...) goes up. I'm willing to include almost anyone in our farm system if the return is right, but I do hope they stick to their convictions and hold onto the guy who may very well be one of the top prospects in all of baseball by the end of the season. Problem is, of course, that none of our other prospects hold quite the same value in a trade.

Whatever happens, this promises to be an interesting month. Either way, I'd say we're guaranteed a bigger trade than Lars Anderson.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 pm

I'd rather see the Indians bolster the bullpen. Raffy Betancourt is out there (assuming he comes back healthy)
Toxicadam

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Toxicadam wrote:I'd rather see the Indians bolster the bullpen. Raffy Betancourt is out there (assuming he comes back healthy)

I really like Jesse Crain, Matt Thornton, and Matt Lindstrom from the White Sox. I'd be happy to get any one of those three.

I think they need two arms, a starter and a reliever, preferably left handed, or at least a RHP with decent splits v. LHB (Crain). They should get McAllister back around the DL and he's a good #3 if healthy.

Like Adverb said above, they're going to look for a guy who they control through next season. The FA SP crop sucks this summer and Kluber and McAllister probably are what they are. Bauer's their only hope for a rotation upgrade next season and that looks dicey right now.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Cubs now internally discussing signing Garza to a long-term deal. I think it's a bit of posturing on Theo Epstein's part. He knows the SP trade market sucks. Of course, the Marlins sold Nolasco for pennies on the dollar, so maybe that worries him a bit. In any event, it's an interesting development.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:21 pm

As quickly as Jon Heyman released his information, Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune still says Garza is likely to be traded as the two sides aren't close on Garza's value.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 2488.story
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Garza would be a half-year rental. Not sure who is going to sell the farm system to get him, unless they are willing to sign him to a fat extension....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/i ... lardo.html

Indians Focused On Garza, Gallardo
By Tim Dierkes [July 9, 2013 at 12:59pm CST]

The Indians seek a top-of-the-rotation type of starting pitcher, writes Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, and the pursuit has led them to focus exclusively on the Cubs' Matt Garza and the Brewers' Yovani Gallardo. Heyman notes that no deal is close on either front. The Indians have decent rotation depth, so they're not interested in lesser starters.

The Indians are on Gallardo's no-trade list, as first reported by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish in June. He could approve a trade to Cleveland, but it would represent an additional hurdle for the Indians and Brewers. As Brewers GM Doug Melvin explained to Anthony Witrado of Sporting News in June, "That Yovani is not a free agent like guys like [Zack] Greinke or Anibal Sanchez last year, he has more value than just two months of a rental, so the package from another team has to be something that will wow me." Gallardo is under contract through 2014 with a club option for '15.

Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reported earlier today that the Indians and Rangers "are known to have strong interest" in Garza. A Garza trade appears to be a question of "when," rather than "if." I imagine the Cubs' focus in Garza talks will be on pitching, and I would guess they'd bring up names like Danny Salazar, Carlos Carrasco (optioned to Triple-A today), and even Trevor Bauer. The Indians also seek bullpen help, notes Heyman, a need that the Cubs could accommodate.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Yeah if its for some mid level prospects im fine, but i dont see them moving Lindor for either anyways. Maybe Naquin in a deal for Gallardo but if Melvin insists on Lindor it wont happen.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Cubs now internally discussing signing Garza to a long-term deal. I think it's a bit of posturing on Theo Epstein's part. He knows the SP trade market sucks. Of course, the Marlins sold Nolasco for pennies on the dollar, so maybe that worries him a bit. In any event, it's an interesting development.

But you have to remember, they're the Marlins. With a trade you either get prospects or $$ and Miami, as they always do, chose the $$ when they had LAD take on Nolasco's whole contract.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Yeah if its for some mid level prospects im fine, but i dont see them moving Lindor for either anyways. Maybe Naquin in a deal for Gallardo but if Melvin insists on Lindor it wont happen.

I have to assume that unless the Dodgers call discussing Clayton Kershaw's name, or the Phillies say "We'll give you Cliff Lee and cover half of his salary!", Antonetti has Lindor off the table.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:But you have to remember, they're the Marlins. With a trade you either get prospects or $$ and Miami, as they always do, chose the $$ when they had LAD take on Nolasco's whole contract.

Very true. I don't know how Jeff Loria sleeps at night.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:29 am

skatingtripods wrote:

On a giant pile of money?

The Indians are more than a SP or bullpen arm away from contending. Unless they can lock up a player that is an improvement for a few years, they should stand pat. Certainly any of their top 5 guys should be off the table.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 am

skatingtripods wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:But you have to remember, they're the Marlins. With a trade you either get prospects or $$ and Miami, as they always do, chose the $$ when they had LAD take on Nolasco's whole contract.

On 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, most likely.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 am

Erie Warrior wrote:The Indians are more than a SP or bullpen arm away from contending. Unless they can lock up a player that is an improvement for a few years, they should stand pat. Certainly any of their top 5 guys should be off the table.

Antonetti was on with Hammy yesterday and he said that they weren't giving up anything substantial for a rental. They're in the market for a player they'd control through at least 2014, preferably longer.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:09 am

skatingtripods wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Yeah if its for some mid level prospects im fine, but i dont see them moving Lindor for either anyways. Maybe Naquin in a deal for Gallardo but if Melvin insists on Lindor it wont happen.

I have to assume that unless the Dodgers call discussing Clayton Kershaw's name, or the Phillies say "We'll give you Cliff Lee and cover half of his salary!", Antonetti has Lindor off the table.

I agree......Tony Lastoria said soemthing on twitter that he would prob only be on the table for Stanton(in terms of realistic targets)
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:10 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

On a giant pile of money?

damn you beat me to it
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 am

skatingtripods wrote:

OMG CLAYTON KERSHAW IS AVAILABLE!!! LET'S GIVE THEM PHIL HUGHES AND OUR MINOR LEAGUE PITCHER THAT THE ESPN PEOPLE LIKE!
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Pabo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:58 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:...

Antonetti was on with Hammy yesterday and he said that they weren't giving up anything substantial for a rental. ...

The Indians don't have anything substantial.
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Pabo wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Antonetti was on with Hammy yesterday and he said that they weren't giving up anything substantial for a rental. ...

Lindor, Naquin, Salazar, Frazier(cant be traded though), Ramirez, Paulino, Brown, CC Lee, Moncrief, Wendle, etc....Im pretty sure they have substanial ammo
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Pabo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
Pabo wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Lindor, Naquin, Salazar, Frazier(cant be traded though), Ramirez, Paulino, Brown, CC Lee, Moncrief, Wendle, etc....Im pretty sure they have substanial ammo

Yeah. Write those guys' names down somewhere and put them in a time capsule. Come back in five years and tell me about their careers.
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Pabo wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

I hope you never get too close to a cliff's edge..... based on your posts in general, you're liable to jump off!
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Pabo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
Pabo wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

I hope you never get too close to a cliff's edge..... based on your posts in general, you're liable to jump off!

Don't worry. I'm not suicidal. I am a harsh critic of the Indians because they have made me that way. I choose to look at them objectively.

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Pabo wrote:
Yeah. Write those guys' names down somewhere and put them in a time capsule. Come back in five years and tell me about their careers.

Now you are going away from your original point. Them being good 5 years from now means nothing in terms of your original comment.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby pup » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:01 pm

How exactly is those guys will suck because previous guys picked by different people sucked, um, objective?

No clue if those guys will be great, good, or bad. But objective analysis is not what it appears you are doing.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Pabo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
Pabo wrote:

Now you are going away from your original point. Them being good 5 years from now means nothing in terms of your original comment.

Every team in baseball has a dozen or so guys they hold in high regard (at least outwardly). Those players you mention don't give the Indians some ultra-unique bargaining chips that other teams are drooling over. I suppose Lindor would have some value, but I don't honestly think this team is loaded with interesting prospects, except in the eyes of the Indians PR machine and their pollyanna fans.

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Nobody said loaded and you are dead wrong in your assessment. They have enough substantial pieces that teams would be interested in. Any "OBJECTIVE" fan would know that.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:08 am

I suppose Lindor would have some value, but I don't honestly think this team is loaded with interesting prospects, except in the eyes of the Indians PR machine and their pollyanna fans.

Lindor is universally regarded as a top 10 prospect in all of baseball this year. Some people are talking him up as #1 overall next year. Regardless of your stance on prospects, that's an asset.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Pabo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:31 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
I suppose Lindor would have some value, but I don't honestly think this team is loaded with interesting prospects, except in the eyes of the Indians PR machine and their pollyanna fans.

Lindor is universally regarded as a top 10 prospect in all of baseball this year. Some people are talking him up as #1 overall next year. Regardless of your stance on prospects, that's an asset.

Lindor was 28th on Baseball America's list early this year. I don't think that qualifies for top 10. But regardless, I take back everything I said based on Salazar's first two innings. This guy is the shizznick!!! I am officially on board!!!!!!!

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Shouldn't have used the word universally. Keith Law had him #7 (already said he'll likely be #1) and two guys from fangraphs had him 8 and 9 and have said he's likely #1 next year.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Jason Parks had Lindor 10th on BPro's top 101 list.

Also have to consider that he's just in Single-A, which likely affects his ranking. Smaller sample sizes and such.

Parks's top 10 was Profar, Taveras, Cole, Bundy, Wheeler, Fernandez, Myers, Buxton, Walker, Lindor. Most of those guys started the year in Triple-A, are there by now, or have already made the bigs. Understandable that Lindor would be rated below them.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 pm

I see...a harsh critic...but objective about it.

Where's the ignore button?

/Salazar looked so good today I'm thinking we found our starter. We still really, really, really need a LOOGY. I'd be happy to never see Hill again.

Edit: with Salazar and Zach back do we move KaZmir to the pen?
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 pm

bookelly wrote:I see...a harsh critic...but objective about it.

Where's the ignore button?

/Salazar looked so good today I'm thinking we found our starter. We still really, really, really need a LOOGY. I'd be happy to never see Hill again.

Edit: with Salazar and Zach back do we move KaZmir to the pen?

Highly doubt Salazar sticks around. They'd rather monitor his innings in a low stress environment. That being said, he could make a start in September.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:54 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

I agree......Tony Lastoria said soemthing on twitter that he would prob only be on the table for Stanton(in terms of realistic targets)

That statement is hilarious on so many levels.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 am

Pabo wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

Lindor was 28th on Baseball America's list early this year. I don't think that qualifies for top 10. But regardless, I take back everything I said based on Salazar's first two innings. This guy is the shizznick!!! I am officially on board!!!!!!!

In the midseason rankings, Lindor is 5th on BA's list. On BP/Parks' list, he's #4. I think that qualifies for top 10.

You're offering precious little fact or analysis to this conversation. Lots of exclamation points though, which I suppose is something.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:13 am

Insider article, but the teaser is all we need to know.

Buster Olney reports that the Indians and Cardinals are once again talking about an Asdrubal Cabrera trade.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster- ... st?id=2382

The Cardinals have tons of pitching.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Insider article, but the teaser is all we need to know.

Buster Olney reports that the Indians and Cardinals are once again talking about an Asdrubal Cabrera trade.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster- ... st?id=2382

The Cardinals have tons of pitching.

Cut and pasting some relevant snippets here:

Sources say there has been more discussion about a possible swap that was talked about in the offseason: the Indians’ Asdrubal Cabrera to St. Louis.

It’s unclear just how far advanced these talks are, whether it’s more conceptual or internal at the moment, and undoubtedly, it’s a deal that would be more easily done in the offseason, with more time.

But it’s a situation worth watching, because it could be an in-season match that could make sense for both teams. For St. Louis, Cabrera would represent an upgrade at shortstop: He’s 27 years old and a switch-hitting, two-time All-Star with power and experience. Cabrera has a .725 OPS and has demonstrated the ability to play multiple positions, which is why the Yankees have asked about him repeatedly. He could play shortstop, yes, but also third base or second or even first, so if the Yankees needed to fill in for Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez or Robinson Cano -- depending on developments ranging from injury (Jeter and A-Rod) to PED suspension (A-Rod) to free-agent departure (Cano, perhaps), Cabrera could step in. Cabrera makes $6.5 million this year, and will earn $10 million next season, before becoming eligible for free agency.

The Indians are positioned to consider trading him, because if Cabrera were swapped, they could cover his departure in the short term with Mike Aviles -- and, of course, star prospect Francisco Lindor is climbing through the minors as the long-term solution; he’s hitting .307 in high-A ball this year, at just 19 years old.

The Indians presumably would require at least one really good prospect in return, somebody close to the big leagues, and the Yankees don’t necessarily have a lot to choose from at the top of their system. But the Cardinals do, particularly with their pitching; they have what is regarded as the best farm system in the game, and they are loaded with great young arms -- Shelby Miller and Trevor Rosenthal already have graduated to the big league level and presumably are not available, and Carlos Martinez and Michael Wacha are top arms in the minors, among others. (Martinez, by the way, was just called up to work out of the St. Louis bullpen, as Derrick Goold writes.)

-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 pm

I'd take Wacha and a decent ceiling reliever prospect for Cabrera. Doubt Miller and Rosenthal are even discussed.

There can't be too much these two teams don't know about this deal. It was discussed at length last offseason, so we're familiar with what they have, have probably scouted those guys throughout this season, and they know Cabrera's strengths and weaknesses.

Admittedly, I don't know the Yankees system like I know STL's, especially since I wrote that Should We Trade Cabrera to St. Louis article before the season, but I'd rather send him to STL.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:24 pm

You have to admire the way St. Louis runs their organization. They are typically in contention while having a top 5-10 level minor league system, practically every year.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:34 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I'd take Wacha and a decent ceiling reliever prospect for Cabrera. Doubt Miller and Rosenthal are even discussed.

There can't be too much these two teams don't know about this deal. It was discussed at length last offseason, so we're familiar with what they have, have probably scouted those guys throughout this season, and they know Cabrera's strengths and weaknesses.

Admittedly, I don't know the Yankees system like I know STL's, especially since I wrote that Should We Trade Cabrera to St. Louis article before the season, but I'd rather send him to STL.

Forget Wacha. Two words: Carlos Martinez. Might be too late though as he was just called up to pitch out of the pen and I'm sure St. Louis knows what they have in him. If they Indians are smart they'll start by asking for Rosenthal and "settle" for Martinez.

Per BP:
Scouting Report: Martinez has always drawn considerable praise for his exceptional fastball. He consistently sits in the 94-97 mph range with his four-seamer and has regularly touched 99 mph in the past. Even his sinking two-seamer has excellent velocity, sitting in the 92-93 mph range and touching 95 when he wants a little more. Martinez likes to attack with his fastball and shows the ability to move it around the zone when he doesn’t overthrow. To back up up his fastball, Martinez offers both a very good curveball and changeup. His curveball will occasionally work as a plus pitch with tight rotation and good depth.

As if that weren’t enough, Martinez’s changeup could be a second legitimate plus-plus offering. He has tremendous arm speed when throwing it, affording him excellent deception. Martinez routinely throws strikes with all three pitches and over the last two seasons has developed his ability to work outside the zone and make the “pitcher’s pitch.” If the Cardinals decide to keep Martinez in the bullpen long term, he could become an All-Star-level closer. But many scouts still believe Martinez has a future as a no. 2 starter in a championship rotation.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:49 pm

I'd take either or. I think Wacha's a safer kind of guy, especially because he's a definite rotation fixture. Martinez definitely has more upside than Wacha. I'm a little bit worried about the bullpen projections and he's probably a much higher injury risk than Wacha. You can always find bullpen arms (see the Steve Delabars and Cody Allens of the world). Quality starters are harder to find. If Martinez can stay a starter, great. But I'm not convinced based on what I've read. I don't know if the Indians would be either.

Let's put it this way, either one is an upgrade and I'd be happy to acquire them at the expense of our final year and two months of Cabrera.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:57 pm

The only issue I'd have with trading Cabrera is whether you could find a quality bench guy to take Aviles' spot there.

You look at this year and their offensive numbers are similar. You look at career numbers and their numbers are similar. AsCab has sizable advantage in OPS+ but...

Defensively their numbers are also close and both are actually + defenders.

Bottom line is I simply (I I I, IOW MY opinion) don't see a huge difference after watching Cabrera get fat and lazy in the second halves of seasons and spend a lot of time in the three hole over the years with meh production. Cabrera's prone to moodiness and whining at times (and maybe Aviles is too but I haven't seen it as much).

I know Cabrera has a couple ASGs to his name but in some ways that's more a reflection of the lack of talent around him in some years.

I just wouldn't be bothered by AsCab being dealt. But my preference would be for a non-midget pitcher :thumb up:

Every guy 6'0 and under who can throw hard is likened to Pedro. Still waiting on Pedro.

With Aviles and then Lindor in 2015 (hopefully) I don't think you miss a beat at the spot.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:49 pm

peeker643 wrote:The only issue I'd have with trading Cabrera is whether you could find a quality bench guy to take Aviles' spot there.

Exactly what I brought up earlier with somebody. Gotta find a good backup SS because Juan Diaz ain't gonna cut it. Preferably a plus defender with 3B capability too. I don't care if he hits. Just needs to be able to pick it. And not be John McDonald.

Wonder what Oliver Perez + Brendan Ryan would cost from Seattle...
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:53 am

Sometimes I wonder what this team looks like if they had traded Cabrera for pitching, played Aviles at short and kept Choo to play right field.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:13 am

Matt Thornton traded to Boston for Single-A OF Brandon Jacobs, ranked the 11th best prospect in Boston's system by MLB.com.

The White Sox fire sale is on. Time to go get Jesse Crain before someone else does.

Also, this deal, in a way, sets the Oliver Perez market.

On Jacobs:

According to MLB.com's write-up, the young man once recruited to play football for Auburn has "considerable raw tools" but has struggled with plate discipline. If he can control the strike zone more and become efficient, the write-up continues, it's still all there for Jacobs to become an impact bat playing an outfield corner.

We've gotta have a guy like that lying around somewhere in the system.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:19 am

MonCrief or Myles
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:12 am

Besides Lindor we surely have a plethora of infield prospects. Aguilar? Rodrigez? Paulino? Somebody may bite on those guys. Paulino in particular is a nice catch.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Anyone else a tad worried that Lindor's promotion--though well-deserved--may also have been timed to showcase him in the higher-profile and more competitive AA level for trade purposes? Or is it just "his time?"
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Anyone else a tad worried that Lindor's promotion--though well-deserved--may also have been timed to showcase him in the higher-profile and more competitive AA level for trade purposes? Or is it just "his time?"

His time. Can't do much more in the Carolina League than he's already done. Natural progression. Play out the year in Akron. Start in Akron next year, move to Columbus about this time in 2014. Compete for Indians Opening Day roster in 2015.

Again, it has to be a serious impact player for us to move Lindor. Even with somebody like Cliff Lee, I think the Phils would have to cover a serious chunk of cash for Lindor to be included, if at all.

I wouldn't worry. Lindor's about as untouchable as they come. The Indians were willing to move Pomeranz because his command and control didn't project well to the bigs. So far, those concerns have been validated. Lindor's a different story.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Agree with Adam in that it's a natural progression and a move made while his confidence in High A is elevated as well.

I would agree with Harry if the point is that it doesn't hurt his marketability in terms of the move right now. Just in case anyone wanted to knock the Indians socks off with an offer.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Is Cliff Lee an option? or is his salary out of our range?
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB