Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs / NBA 2013 Free Agency

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Cavs / NBA 2013 Free Agency

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--cavs-make-andrew-bynum--24-million-offer-015715453.html

Two years with a team option for the 2nd sounds pretty perfect to me.

But...

"For the Cavaliers, the possibility of a Bynum reclamation project taking shape in Cleveland, coupled with All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving, could be the cornerstones of a recruiting pitch to bring back LeBron James in the summer of 2014."

We'd have enough leftover cap room with Bynum's $12mil still on the books to offer LBJ a max deal next summer?

Only guys on the books for guaranteed money after this season are Jack at his $6M or whatever it is (hopefully they frontloaded the deal this year) and Kyrie, Thompson, Waiters, Zeller, Bennett, and Karasev on rookie deals. Varejao, Gee, and Clark all have team options. Comes out to about 33 mill and the current NBA cap is around 58 mill. So yeah, they wouldn't be able to pick up a $12M Bynum option and get LeBron if Bynum returns to form. But you can always move young guys to make room, they're all at reasonable numbers on their rookie deals.

Well you are clearly forgetting about minimum salary roster holds and draft pick holds, both of which can be significant.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:41 pm

I don't see the downside with a one year Bynum deal either, even if he won't grant a 2nd year team option. That could be a hell of a trade chip in February if he starts playing well again.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Wouldn't they have to still choose between Kyrie & Bynum the next summer, though?

Tough to sell "come join Kyrie & Bynum" if that's the case. Unless Big Dannypants would really be open to paying luxury tax, no?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Kingpin74 wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--cavs-make-andrew-bynum--24-million-offer-015715453.html

But...

"For the Cavaliers, the possibility of a Bynum reclamation project taking shape in Cleveland, coupled with All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving, could be the cornerstones of a recruiting pitch to bring back LeBron James in the summer of 2014."

We'd have enough leftover cap room with Bynum's $12mil still on the books to offer LBJ a max deal next summer?

Only guys on the books for guaranteed money after this season are Jack at his $6M or whatever it is (hopefully they frontloaded the deal this year) and Kyrie, Thompson, Waiters, Zeller, Bennett, and Karasev on rookie deals. Varejao, Gee, and Clark all have team options. Comes out to about 33 mill and the current NBA cap is around 58 mill. So yeah, they wouldn't be able to pick up a $12M Bynum option and get LeBron if Bynum returns to form. But you can always move young guys to make room, they're all at reasonable numbers on their rookie deals.

Well you are clearly forgetting about minimum salary roster holds and draft pick holds, both of which can be significant.

So barring trades, they shouldn't be doling out any more guaranteed salaries for 2014-2015 if they want to offer LeBron the max? Seems like they have 20 mill or so of room as it stands now.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:47 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Wouldn't they have to still choose between Kyrie & Bynum the next summer, though?

Tough to sell "come join Kyrie & Bynum" if that's the case. Unless Big Dannypants would really be open to paying luxury tax, no?

Why Kyrie has a $7mm Team Option?

The cap space is the trick, NBA holds roster spots at $2MM and you have the mandatory draft holds, but if they could clear Andy out and dump the Clarks and Gee's they'd be real close to getting LBJ (one more contract to move) and nowhere near the luxury tax.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Is it not still standard operating procedure to offer your star on a rookie deal a max contract when he becomes a RFA? Or rather, during the season before the offseason in which he's set to become a RFA?

Or is my timeline off?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 pm

The good thing is any contract they may need to move is either for one year or a reasonable rookie deal.
Kingpin74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:01 pm

The extension kicks in after the fact though. Extensions are still, you know, extensions. And he'll be a smaller max.

All this likely means is goodbye Tristan, and Jack's contract is up once Waiters is due a raise.

Regardless it'll be tight in terms of the luxury tax for any small market team to ever have three max guys. See also OKC already blowing it up and Memphis. The Cavs were always going to have serious money choices to make in the near future anyhow.

But yeah, that lock-out that has done nothing to slow down NYC, Brooklyn and LA from spending and has screwed the mid markets sucked.

The standard 25% rookie extensions were around $13MM, which isn't that bad this year. The biggest question becomes if Kyrie stays healthy enough to get the the bigger extensions http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q58
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:The good thing is any contract they may need to move is either for one year or a reasonable rookie deal.

After GS just dump $24MM in terrible contracts attached to useless players for the price of a few draft picks anything can happen.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:18 pm

pup wrote:
OldDawg wrote:
pup wrote:Guess i am missing the negative side to signing Bynum.

My first Haiku

Potential all star
No heart No minutes Big bust
Millions dollars lost

So.

Lets count on Andy to stay healthy instead!

1) Andy belongs to us now. Injuries and all, he is ours. Bynum is not

2) I would actually like signing Bynum. You asked about the downside. Ask Philly. The downside, if your Dan Gilbert, is the possibility of spending millions of dollars with no return. And the possibility that those millions could have been spent elsewhere. Hey, that's easy for me and you. Its not our money. Me... I'd be happy with the gamble and would be keeping my fingers crossed.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:20 pm

The downside is the alternative, which is the corpse of Elton Brand and the Cavs current back-up plan.

At least AK47 still has some skills.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:25 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The downside is the alternative, which is the corpse of Elton Brand and the Cavs current back-up plan.

Cmon... no hope held out for the resurrection of Oden?!?! At least Bynum has actually played in some actual NBA games.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:26 pm

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-cav ... r-1.411629

"As expected, Bynum did not work out for the Cavaliers on Monday. But the medical staff was able to examine his knees, a league source told the Beacon Journal, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the negotiations."
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 pm

OldDawg wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:The downside is the alternative, which is the corpse of Elton Brand and the Cavs current back-up plan.

Cmon... no hope held out for the resurrection of Oden?!?! At least Bynum has actually played in some actual NBA games.

You clearly didn't read Woj's piece.

Also, isn't Brown one of the biggest MettaWorldPiece fans in existence? Wouldn't be shocked to see him come in on a one year deal with an option as well since he's in the process of being amnestied.

He's a shell of what he was but it can't hurt to have a title winning vet leader around for a year, especially one that is really close with MB.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 pm

I really don't get what the Hawks are up to btw. They have Horford who is one of the best two way centers in the league, just got Milsap on a great contract and now are offering Bynum? Milsap can't play a lot of minutes at SF, this has been proven over and over again. Add to that Dallas only have ~9mm right now and the situation is certainly interesting. Cabs definately have the most money to play with but that second option year may be a hang up for Bynum.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Big_Lu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Grow up people...Cavs suck, Indians suck and Browns suck. You all post these what if's and maybe and how about this or that...keep dreaming as a championship (or even making the playoffs) will NEVER happen in Cleveland.

If you think that your comments mean anything to anyone, once again grow up! You are not the owners, coaches, managers, players so I caution you to NOT quit your day jobs! lol

What a bunch of losers. Oh by the way, if you think for even one minute (most of you don't think that long on these forums) I will see your replies, once again keep dreaming!
Big_Lu

Favorite Player: Omar Vizquel
Least Favorite Player: LeBron

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:04 am

Big_Lu wrote:Grow up people...Cavs suck, Indians suck and Browns suck. You all post these what if's and maybe and how about this or that...keep dreaming as a championship (or even making the playoffs) will NEVER happen in Cleveland.

If you think that your comments mean anything to anyone, once again grow up! You are not the owners, coaches, managers, players so I caution you to NOT quit your day jobs! lol

What a bunch of losers. Oh by the way, if you think for even one minute (most of you don't think that long on these forums) I will see your replies, once again keep dreaming!

Since you won't read the reply...

Who pissed in your bowl of Alpo today?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:12 am

Big_Lu wrote:Oh by the way, if you think for even one minute (most of you don't think that long on these forums) I will see your replies, once again keep dreaming!

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:28 am

Big_Lu wrote:Grow up people...Cavs suck, Indians suck and Browns suck. You all post these what if's and maybe and how about this or that...keep dreaming as a championship (or even making the playoffs) will NEVER happen in Cleveland.

Yeah, having normal discussions about a hobby is way worse than taking the time to troll people who have normal discussions about a hobby. And I thought all three teams had the title in the bag next year and that all key decision makers for those teams hung on every word we typed. So thanks for setting us straight there. We'll just have to hope that the Cavs can someday muster up enough strength to prove you wrong and be one of the 8 best teams in the 15 team Eastern Conference again. They've only done it like 17 other times in their history, so it'll take a heroic effort.
Kingpin74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 am

The fuck was that?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
OldDawg wrote:

You clearly didn't read Woj's piece.

Also, isn't Brown one of the biggest MettaWorldPiece fans in existence? Wouldn't be shocked to see him come in on a one year deal with an option as well since he's in the process of being amnestied.

He's a shell of what he was but it can't hurt to have a title winning vet leader around for a year, especially one that is really close with MB.

The piece where woj states that Andrei Kirilenko and Elton Brand are our back up plans? Yes, but my jest was that we'd pass on Bynum due to his injuries and take Oden, who has had worse injuries.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:14 am

motherscratcher wrote:The fuck was that?

Not unlike Big_Lu's common interjection. Of BL's total posts in 2+ years, here are the other 5 posts that relate to sports...
Big_Lu wrote:(Jan 24, 2011) Can you say Clay Matthews III? The guy is a beast...and great eye candy! ;-) ;) :wink:
Big_Lu wrote:(Oct 16, 2011) Dazed and confused...
Big_Lu wrote:(Jul 29, 2011) Fukudome sucks like the rest of the team...not apologizing for comment either...he brings nothing to this team but a last name that can be used to voice what I think of the Indians' management/owners...
Big_Lu wrote:(Jun 28, 2012) Seriously? What a horrible pick at #4...
Big_Lu wrote:(Apr 25, 2013) That blows...Weeden blows...the whole team blows!

A real finger on the pulse guy.
OldDawg

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 am

Big_Lu wrote:

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:59 am

What's with the 2nd year offer? Is it possible they are front loading year one?

I think Bron is a long shot but you gotta at least play that lotto ticket.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:41 am

Can't frontload that much anymore.

And the second year is a team option, so I have no idea what your asking? And as already covered, they'll have to dump Andy, Gee, Clark, Kevin Jones, etc and Thompson to get another max spot next year. No big loss.

And even if they don't get Bron next year, there are enough FAs they'll get someone.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 am

The Cavs are pushing Andrew Bynum to either accept or reject a two-year, $24 million offer laden with incentives.

The second year is a team option. The Cavs have begun to engage Andrei Kirilenko and Elton Brand in deals that could cause them to move on, and surely this article by Adrian Wojnarowski is one way for them to let Bynum know about that. The incentives appear to be reasonable items relating to games played and minutes, but the takeaway here is that the Cavs want to put him on a decision while Bynum and his agents are trying to find a one-year big money deal. Jul 9 - 1:13 AM

Source: Yahoo! Sports
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 am

Duplicate post deleted.
Last edited by Prosecutor on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 am

http://hoop76.com/opening-pandoras-boxes/

Check the last couple of paragraphs. The Cavs have access to the medical reports on his surgery (or surgeries) in March. They also examined his knees yesterday and they're offering him a two-year incentivized deal up to $24 million. Looks like they expect him to be good to go.

What concerns me is that he weighs 285 pounds and has had chronic knee problems since he was a teenager. And it's still an 82-game schedule with another 20-something playoff games if all goes as planned.

Guess we'll know soon how this shakes out.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:00 am

Eat shit and die fuckstick. Every detail you just posted has been mentioned in this thread at least twice or is common knowledge, so once again thanks for the perspective.

Also managed to leave out the whole team option part of the deal, which is the key to it and stuff.

Fucking waste of bandwidth.

Since your back I'll return to retirement though, I'm sure you and OD will have all kinds of fun working your way through NBA contracts and the CBA together. Not posting on a board where I am forced to read you, period.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 am

Keep at it, Prosecutor. I'm pretty sure he's finally warming up to you.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:49 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Eat shit and die fuckstick. Every detail you just posted has been mentioned in this thread at least twice or is common knowledge, so once again thanks for the perspective.

Also managed to leave out the whole team option part of the deal, which is the key to it and stuff.

Since your back I'll return to retirement though, I'm sure you and OD will have all kinds of fun working your way through NBA contracts and the CBA together. Not posting on a board where I am forced to read you, period.

C'mon, eye, how did I get tossed into this. I've been minding my p's and q's around here, mind 1 1/2 spats with you. And by the way, the bandwidth wasted is virtually negligible and momentary. Server memory space wasted is more permanent.
OldDawg

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 am

The thing you have to remember about e0, OldDawg, is that he has the short memory of an All-Pro NFL Shutdown CB.

As quickly as he forgot how much he appreciated your Eddie Murphy in the Nutty Professor comparison, this too shall pass. Really. No matter what "this" is. Did you blunder with a "the reason is because..." in place of the proper "the reason is that..."? Did you smear poop on his doorknobs?

The severity of the offense is basically irrelevant. Tomorrow is a new day.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:31 am

I don't have anything to post right now but I wanted to put something on the board just to try and keep Eeyore "retired" as long as possible. Consider it a public service.

With respect to Bynum, the name Courtney Brown keeps popping into my head everytime I read about an extremely talented athlete who's undergone multiple microfracture surgeries at a young age.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:32 am

HoodooMan wrote:The thing you have to remember about e0, OldDawg, is that he has the short memory of an All-Pro NFL Shutdown CB.

As quickly as he forgot how much he appreciated your Eddie Murphy in the Nutty Professor comparison, this too shall pass. Really. No matter what "this" is. Did you blunder with a "the reason is because..." in place of the proper "the reason is that..."? Did you smear poop on his doorknobs?

The severity of the offense is basically irrelevant. Tomorrow is a new day.

Did you just change your favorite player to Big_Lu?
OldDawg

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Eat shit and die fuckstick. Every detail you just posted has been mentioned in this thread at least twice or is common knowledge, so once again thanks for the perspective.

Feh. You hating Pros is common knowledge and has been mentioned in this thread at least twice, so this post would also qualify as a waste of bandwidth.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 pm

From ProBasketBallTalk:

I think some team is going to give him a max or near max deal — around $15 million a year for two or three years, with options, and with what is known as an Exhibit 3 exemption, commonly called the prior injury exclusion. Basically, it lets a team list a variety of pre-existing conditions where they can waive him and let him go if he doesn’t play due to them. It gives a team protection against what happened to the Sixers this year with Bynum.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/andrew-bynum-to-have-both-knees-operated-on-done-for-season/comment-page-1/

I apologize in advance if the Exhibit 3 exemption is common knowledge on this board.

If the Cavs could use the Exhibit 3 exemption on Bynum, why have an incentive-based contract? Just give him a normal contract and if he can't play due to a pre-existing condition, then waive him. Or can a player refuse to sign unless the team agrees not to use the Exhibit 3 exemption?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Big Lu is like a machine gun. A machine gun firing bullets of truth and logic.

He plays chess, you play checkers and you ain't gonna sink his battleship or pass go, suckas.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Pros, maybe if you quote some of his favourite sources like Mike and Mike, Chuck Galetti, Bruce Drennan, Mary Kay, RCF posters, Sam Amick and the Bleacher report he will un-retire.

So far he hasn't said anything today about the "stupidest post ever" or "tired of arguing with Fu*ks" so he probably won't retire too long this time.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Thomas Moore has a column on the home page about the risk involved in signing Bynum.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-cavaliers/4-cavs-archive/11241-is-andrew-bynum-really-the-answer-the-cavs-are-looking-for

He makes the point that in his seven-year career Bynum has played in only 61% of his team's games and has not played a full season since '06-'07.

I'm not sure how many knee surgeries he's had in all.

Moore also discusses the immaturity issue that has cropped up from time to time, including the time he got ejected from a playoff game for flagrantly fouling a point guard because he was scoring too many points.

He agrees that the only risk in signing Bynum is losing money on an unproductive player, but then asks why not spend the money on someone we know will be productive. He doesn't bring up any names, but we've heard two possibilities so far.

I just think that based on Bynum's having had so many injuries at such a young age he's highly unlikely to play 150 regular season games or even close to it over the next couple of years. His most recent knee injury occurred while he was bowling.

But Grant is making a legit offer and he's seen all the medical reports. And Bynum does not want a two-year deal with incentives - he wants to be a free agent this time next year. Which tells me he's confident he'll make it through this year healthy and perform at a high level.

Philly rolled the dice on him and lost. Somebody will roll again this year, only with less to lose than Philly did. It will be interesting to see who it is and whether the bet pays off.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 pm

One last thing, since we're now up to 5,000 words about nothing on this page written by a cunt it's well documented doesn't watch actual basketball games, then I'll return to last season's no reading or posting in this shit-hole (I though the off-season would be safe, but I was wrong):

Which picture is Andrew Bynum Pros? And for 1,000 bonus points since you want to talk about immaturity issues, what "Point Guard" did Andrew Bynum clothes line in 2011 that is a HOFer and who coached Bynum the next year?

The only thing worse than reading your sample size bullshit during the season is watching you post WORDS AND WORDS AND WORDS about players you have never seen from articles you find linked already in this thread.

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 pm

It's legit depressing that RCF now shits on the quality of this place and Cleveland.com is close.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-cavaliers/cleveland-cavaliers-1.275356/source-cavs-make-bynum-two-year-offer-push-for-fast-answer-1.411629

"As expected, Bynum did not work out for the Cavaliers on Monday. But the medical staff was able to examine his knees, a league source told the Beacon Journal, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the negotiations."

PREPARE FOR DEEPER INSIGHT:

Prosecutor wrote:http://hoop76.com/opening-pandoras-boxes/

Check the last couple of paragraphs. The Cavs have access to the medical reports on his surgery (or surgeries) in March. They also examined his knees yesterday and they're offering him a two-year incentivized deal up to $24 million. Looks like they expect him to be good to go.

What concerns me is that he weighs 285 pounds and has had chronic knee problems since he was a teenager. And it's still an 82-game schedule with another 20-something playoff games if all goes as planned.

Guess we'll know soon how this shakes out.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 pm

But...

ULTIMATE INSIGHT!#%$!!!! FORTHCOMING!$%!%!!!!

Prosecutor wrote:
The Cavs are pushing Andrew Bynum to either accept or reject a two-year, $24 million offer laden with incentives.

The second year is a team option. The Cavs have begun to engage Andrei Kirilenko and Elton Brand in deals that could cause them to move on, and surely this article by Adrian Wojnarowski is one way for them to let Bynum know about that. The incentives appear to be reasonable items relating to games played and minutes, but the takeaway here is that the Cavs want to put him on a decision while Bynum and his agents are trying to find a one-year big money deal. Jul 9 - 1:13 AM

Source: Yahoo! Sports
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm

JJN wrote:You can sign Bynum for multiple years with no issue. We will still have plenty of cap space should we want it, and there is a provision in the CBA that allows for a team to waive a player with no cap hold if they are waiving that player for a medical condition that they knew about at the time of the signing (how the TWolves got rid of Brandon Roy this year). Bynum would qualify for that provision, so if his knees continue to be a problem, he could be waived and his cap space would be cleared.

I READZ THREADZ!!!!!!

Prosecutor wrote:From ProBasketBallTalk:

I think some team is going to give him a max or near max deal — around $15 million a year for two or three years, with options, and with what is known as an Exhibit 3 exemption, commonly called the prior injury exclusion. Basically, it lets a team list a variety of pre-existing conditions where they can waive him and let him go if he doesn’t play due to them. It gives a team protection against what happened to the Sixers this year with Bynum.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/andrew-bynum-to-have-both-knees-operated-on-done-for-season/comment-page-1/

I apologize in advance if the Exhibit 3 exemption is common knowledge on this board.

If the Cavs could use the Exhibit 3 exemption on Bynum, why have an incentive-based contract? Just give him a normal contract and if he can't play due to a pre-existing condition, then waive him. Or can a player refuse to sign unless the team agrees not to use the Exhibit 3 exemption?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Thomas Moore has a column on the home page about the risk involved in signing Bynum.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-cavaliers/4-cavs-archive/11241-is-andrew-bynum-really-the-answer-the-cavs-are-looking-for

He makes the point that in his seven-year career Bynum has played in only 61% of his team's games and has not played a full season since '06-'07.

I'm not sure how many knee surgeries he's had in all.

Andrew Bynum has bad kneez!!!@$! YOU DON'T SAY!%!%!%

Prosecutor wrote:Moore also discusses the immaturity issue that has cropped up from time to time, including the time he got ejected from a playoff game for flagrantly fouling a point guard because he was scoring too many points.

ANDREW BYNUM GOT EJECTED FOR A CHEAP SHOTZ AGAINST AN UNNAMED HOFER, I WATCH BASKETBALL!!!!

Prosecutor wrote:He agrees that the only risk in signing Bynum is losing money on an unproductive player, but then asks why not spend the money on someone we know will be productive. He doesn't bring up any names, but we've heard two possibilities so far.

ELTON BRANDZ FOR THE WIN!#%!%!%!% (Hint: He's included in my list of pictures captain yeast infection

Prosecutor wrote:I just think that based on Bynum's having had so many injuries at such a young age he's highly unlikely to play 150 regular season games or even close to it over the next couple of years. His most recent knee injury occurred while he was bowling.

But Grant is making a legit offer and he's seen all the medical reports. And Bynum does not want a two-year deal with incentives - he wants to be a free agent this time next year. Which tells me he's confident he'll make it through this year healthy and perform at a high level.

Philly rolled the dice on him and lost. Somebody will roll again this year, only with less to lose than Philly did. It will be interesting to see who it is and whether the bet pays off.

More, Bynum was injuredz!$!$!! Grant saw medical reportz%@%@E% Somebody will role the dice!$!!

INSIGHT
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 pm

The Cavs got a look at Bynum's knees the other day but he didn't work out. Word on the street is they offered him a 2 year deal (2nd year is a team option) in the neighborhood of $24 mil.

I don't know. He's good wen healthy but he hasn't been healthy much. His knees make me nervous. What do you guys think?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:25 pm

staypuff marshmellow guy
Bernie
Stock photo

Awesome, fortunately no emo's this time around!

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:27 pm

motherscratcher wrote:The Cavs got a look at Bynum's knees the other day but he didn't work out. Word on the street is they offered him a 2 year deal (2nd year is a team option) in the neighborhood of $24 mil.

I don't know. He's good wen healthy but he hasn't been healthy much. His knees make me nervous. What do you guys think?

When did all that shit happen? I didn't even see it. You got any links?

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:staypuff marshmellow guy
Bernie
Stock photo

Awesome, fortunately no emo's this time around!

Two Cabs though.

I'm out

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:The Cavs got a look at Bynum's knees the other day but he didn't work out. Word on the street is they offered him a 2 year deal (2nd year is a team option) in the neighborhood of $24 mil.

When did all that shit happen? I didn't even see it. You got any links?

Dont feel bad. I really got my finger on the pulse.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA