Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs / NBA 2013 Free Agency

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs / NBA 2013 Free Agency

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Thought I'd create a new thread just for FA, so we could leave the draft thread just for the draft.

Chris Grant indicated that the Cavs would be quite active in FA and/or possible trades. So far, its been pretty quiet. I'm glad they seem to be in the mix for Greg Oden. If our docs check him out, he's worth a gamble. However, they say the Heat and Spurs are a step ahead of the Cavs.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Cavs / NBA 2013 Free Agency

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:33 pm

O.D. the Heat & Spurs are miles ahead of the Cavs. ;)
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Big East basketball can't catch a break.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:25 pm

pod2dawg wrote:O.D. the Heat & Spurs are miles ahead of the Cavs. ;)

Ha ha! Agreed.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 pm

For some reason they're pursuing Earl Clark. Maybe it's because they're thin at power forward with only Thompson and Bennett. I'm not counting Kevin Jones.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Prosecutor wrote:For some reason they're pursuing Earl Clark. Maybe it's because they're thin at power forward with only Thompson and Bennett. I'm not counting Kevin Jones.

Aside from the fact that AV is really a PF as well.
Earl Clark - another household name in the NBA.
Do you think that this is one more sign of of a possible trade of TT or Andy?
OldDawg

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 am

The Cavs free agency thread is an annual favorite of mine.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:22 am

OldDawg wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:For some reason they're pursuing Earl Clark. Maybe it's because they're thin at power forward with only Thompson and Bennett. I'm not counting Kevin Jones.

Aside from the fact that AV is really a PF as well.
Earl Clark - another household name in the NBA.
Do you think that this is one more sign of of a possible trade of TT or Andy?

Yes.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 pm

leadpipe wrote:The Cavs free agency thread is an annual favorite of mine.

Too bad it's not like the old days with those Daugherty/Price teams and those LeBron ECF/NBA Finals teams. When premier free agents were flocking here like the salmon of Capistrano.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Can anyone explain to me what is going on with the Cavs free agency and what is with Grant's current infatuation with undersized PF's/4's?

Why do we need another PF as opposed to a real 5, 3 and backup PG?

Anyone know anything about this?

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Can anyone explain to me what is going on with the Cavs free agency and what is with Grant's current infatuation with undersized PF's/4's?

Two possible explanations:
1) The 2013-14 roster is nowhere near finalized. Perhaps a free agent or two to come, probably at least one "blockbuster" (and I use the term lightly) trade to come. I sorta think that Bennett's penciled in as the starter at PF, but the back-up is yet to be determined.
2) The FO doesn't feel that any of the PFs have the talent to be 40-minute guys and is hoping that Roker will use them as match-ups and game situations dictate. And good luck with that.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Lead and Peeker tell the sad truth. No one in the NBA clique of quality talent is coming to Cleveland via free agency. Go sign someone like Al Jefferson or AI2 and find yer team a forever 5 seed. The potential Clark signing seems like the move before a possible trade. Trade and the draft is the only way this team builds.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Supposedly the Cavs see Clark as a 3?
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... earl-clark

With an obvious hole at small forward, the Cavaliers will attempt to fill it with free-agent forward Earl Clark.

According to the Sporting News, Clark has agreed to a two-year deal worth $9 million. The second year on the deal is reportedly a team option.

The Cavs' roster is an interesting mix-mash of forwards with new No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett and third-year power forward Tristan Thompson. Clark is more of a stretch 4 but can certainly slide over to play small forward.

Clark, 25, averaged career highs of 7.3 points and 5.5 rebounds in 59 games last season

Edit: With this signing. 1) the Cavs have reported that season ticket sales for the 2013-14 season have surged and 2) Dan Gilbert has reaffirmed his commitment to Cleveland fans that the Cavs would win the NBA Championship before LBJ does.
Last edited by OldDawg on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldDawg

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Two year deal with the second year a team option. Still sandbagging for next year like they should be.

Also, Golden State is on the horn as we speak trying to unload 34 mill in expiring contracts to clear cap room for Howard. We should be all over that to get draft picks.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:47 pm

AI to Golden State. GS sent Biedrins/Rush/Jefferson to Utah for some draft picks, although I haven't seen which draft picks as of yet. For taking on 24 million in salaries, you'd have to think they got a decent hall.

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA

Andre Igoudala has reached agreement with Golden State on a four year, $48 million deal with the Warriors, league source tells Y! Sports.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:53 pm

This apparently gives room to offer Dewey, though Howard reportedly (at least at 5:52 Twitter time) narrowed his choices down to LA and Houston.

By clearing those bodies maybe they have more to offer in a S&T with LA, but I am curious as to what they'll do with that cash if Howard is not interested.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby JJN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Denver refused to S&T Iggy for 1st rounder. That'll show'em!
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:08 pm

I guess Dewey chooses Houston. All over twitter. Sam Amick scoops?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby JJN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Horford/Asik watch begins NOW!
JJN

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Josh Smith to Detroit lol
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Welcome Jarret Jack (or is it Jarrett)
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Jack looks like a nice pickup. They committted to him for three years and signed him the instant he became available. He's a 45% career shooter and 36% from 3-point range. Last year in the playoffs he averaged 17.6 ppg on 50% shooting.

When the Warriors beat the Cavs in Cleveland on Jan. 29 he went off for 26 points and 12 assists in 36 minutes of action. Obviously that left an impression with Chris Grant.

Good job by the Cavs. I liked Livingston but he was limited offensively. He got a one-year deal with the Nets. Even after playing pretty well for the Cavs last year nobody wanted to give him more than a year. I'd say they upgraded the third guard position by trading Livingston for Jack.

Adding it up so far, on the front line they replaced Speights, Miles, and Kevin Jones with Clark, Bennett, and Varajao, assuming Andy stays healthy next year. That should be a huge upgrade, but it's highly dependent on how well Bennett plays as a rookie and whether Andy can avoid another major injury. Zeller should also be improved in his second season, and TT could take another step forward, especially if he continues to gain confidence in that 15-foot shot.

In the backcourt I expect Waiters will be better in his second year and they've replaced Livingston with Jack. So the top three guards should be better as a group. It remains to be seen who they get to replace Ellington and Boobie, assuming they both leave.

They're not done, but I like the moves they've made so far.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:34 pm

dmiles wrote:Welcome Jarret Jack (or is it Jarrett)

You don't know Jack!
OldDawg

Unread postby JJN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:21 pm

Jack's contract is 4yr/$25M, but the 4th is a team option. Really like this signing. Jack is a borderline starting guard and we got him at a good price.

Not thrilled with the Clark signing at 2yr/$9M when Dorrell Wright, who is a better player went for 2yr/$6M.
JJN

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:32 am

One correction to my previous post. The PD is saying the Cavs will pick up D.J. Miles' team option and he'll be back next year. They will also have TT playing center against opposing small centers and backups.

They have a lot of flexibility with Varajao, Zeller, and TT capable of playing center. TT, Bennett, and Clark can all play power forward, not to mention Varajao. That leaves Gee, Clark, and Miles as SF.

No big scorers or shot blockers, but a lot of guys who can run on that front line. Combine that group with a backcourt of Kyrie, Waiters, and Jack and we should have a team that can put the ball in the hole pretty consistently. But with Mike Brown as coach they'll be spending 90% of their practice time on defense, so maybe we won't see much offense after all.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:38 pm

dmiles wrote:I guess Dewey chooses Houston. All over twitter. Sam Amick scoops?

Yep ,and Woj has another bad day being wrong.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:39 pm

JJN wrote:Jack's contract is 4yr/$25M, but the 4th is a team option. Really like this signing. Jack is a borderline starting guard and we got him at a good price.

Good signing. Exactly what they needed roster-wise and he can still contribute.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Prosecutor wrote:On

They have a lot of flexibility with Varajao, Zeller, and TT capable of playing center.

yep, after Side Show Bod invarably gets hurt they can suck in quite a few different ways.
jb

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:19 pm

JJN wrote:Horford/Asik watch begins NOW!

Asik asks to be traded. The Rockets say no plans to do so.
http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/07/rocke ... t=uk_t2_a3
OldDawg

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Any risk to a one year deal?

Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine

Update on Cavs' pursuit on Andrew Bynum: ESPN sources say Bynum scheduled to be in Cleveland today for face-to-face recruiting sitdown
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:26 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:Any risk to a one year deal?

Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine

Update on Cavs' pursuit on Andrew Bynum: ESPN sources say Bynum scheduled to be in Cleveland today for face-to-face recruiting sitdown

I understand that a one-year deal seems safe. But with a one-year deal, what do you expect?

1) That he does well: he helps to get us in the playoffs and out of the lottery and then he darts after that one year because he becomes a desired commodity in the NBA.

2) That he does poorly, and we cut him loose after one year. But we are likely out of the playoffs and in the lottery.

In either case, he's gone after one year. But the Cavs don't want his salary on the books in 2014 when LBJ becomes "available."

I don't understand contracts, but can you add "team options" on extra years on a one-year contract?
OldDawg

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Bynum is looking for a multi-year contract. Chances are, some goofy GM will elect to roll the dice and offer it. Hope it isn't the Cavs -- unless it is extremely incentive-laden past the first year.

Guy has to prove his enthusiasm and dedication -- not to mention staying power -- is worth big bucks. He hasn't yet.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:55 pm

OldDawg wrote: But with a one-year deal, what do you expect?

We're Cleveland.

You expect:

1) Bynum to play an entire 82-game season, besting even Dwight for top center play in the NBA. What knee problems?

2) Kyrie to fracture his vulva in the third week of the regular season, when we're battling with Miami for the top seed in the East. He's in & out of the lineup for the entire season, but misses the playoffs, which we barely make as an 8 seed.

3) Dan Gilbert to spend all four games of our first round sweep bouncing his eyebrows and winking at LBJ.

4) Us to let Bynum walk in free agency to free up cap space for LBJ, and Bynum to spend the next 5 years as the NBA's top center.

5) LBJ to go to LA.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:03 pm

jerryroche wrote:Bynum is looking for a multi-year contract. Chances are, some goofy GM will elect to roll the dice and offer it. Hope it isn't the Cavs -- unless it is extremely incentive-laden past the first year.

Guy has to prove his enthusiasm and dedication -- not to mention staying power -- is worth big bucks. He hasn't yet.

It's already been put out there that the Cavs are only willing to sign him for one year so it looks like Bynum is going to listen to any team showing interest.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Bynum is a great player when he wants to be...which is about 1 out of every 34 games. But hey, if Gilbert wants to waste his money thats fine by me.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:46 pm

If they sign Bynum, I believe an injury pool is in order.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:05 pm

If the Cavs are making any of their current plans around wooing LBJ in 2014, they deserve to get buttfucked again when they get buttfucked again (this statement brought to you by Pilot Flying J).

When Decision 2 Electric Boogaloo comes down, this time I will point and laugh at any Cavs fan that's mad at LBJ again.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:05 pm

leadpipe wrote:If they sign Bynum, I believe an injury pool is in order.

Toughest odds to bet: Number of total minutes that Kyrie AND Bynum are on the floor at the same time.

Over-under is 12.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Hikohadon wrote:If the Cavs are making any of their current plans around wooing LBJ in 2014, they deserve to get buttfucked again when they get buttfucked again (this statement brought to you by Pilot Flying J).

When Decision 2 Electric Boogaloo comes down, this time I will point and laugh at any Cavs fan that's mad at LBJ again.

What's the ole saying?
Screw me once, shame on LBJ. Screw me twice, shame on me.
OldDawg

Unread postby JJN » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 pm

You can sign Bynum for multiple years with no issue. We will still have plenty of cap space should we want it, and there is a provision in the CBA that allows for a team to waive a player with no cap hold if they are waiving that player for a medical condition that they knew about at the time of the signing (how the TWolves got rid of Brandon Roy this year). Bynum would qualify for that provision, so if his knees continue to be a problem, he could be waived and his cap space would be cleared.
JJN

Unread postby pup » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Guess i am missing the negative side to signing Bynum. He wants to play on a one year deal, of course you take him. He sits out 60 games, so be it.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:32 pm

pup wrote:Guess i am missing the negative side to signing Bynum.

My first Haiku

Potential all star
No heart No minutes Big bust
Millions dollars lost
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 pm

LOL, people complaining about potential one year deals.

Hilarious.

It's a gamble but newsflash, outside of getting LBJ to want to come home the Cavs are never getting a FA that isn't a gamble and Bynum is really effing good when healthy.

I mean fuck, why didn't they just go get Dewey!

Keep bitching about nothing, it suits this forum.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 pm

I mean this is the organization you're talking about attracting FAs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... um=twitter
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Wait, screw Bynum, DeJuan Blair is a FA JB! Your boy can come home!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 pm

OldDawg wrote:
pup wrote:Guess i am missing the negative side to signing Bynum.

My first Haiku

Potential all star
No heart No minutes Big bust
Millions dollars lost

So.

Lets count on Andy to stay healthy instead!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:18 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--cavs-make-andrew-bynum--24-million-offer-015715453.html

Two years with a team option for the 2nd sounds pretty perfect to me.

But...

"For the Cavaliers, the possibility of a Bynum reclamation project taking shape in Cleveland, coupled with All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving, could be the cornerstones of a recruiting pitch to bring back LeBron James in the summer of 2014."

We'd have enough leftover cap room with Bynum's $12mil still on the books to offer LBJ a max deal next summer?

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 pm

HoodooMan wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--cavs-make-andrew-bynum--24-million-offer-015715453.html

Two years with a team option for the 2nd sounds pretty perfect to me.

But...

"For the Cavaliers, the possibility of a Bynum reclamation project taking shape in Cleveland, coupled with All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving, could be the cornerstones of a recruiting pitch to bring back LeBron James in the summer of 2014."

We'd have enough leftover cap room with Bynum's $12mil still on the books to offer LBJ a max deal next summer?

Only guys on the books for guaranteed money after this season are Jack at his $6M or whatever it is (hopefully they frontloaded the deal this year) and Kyrie, Thompson, Waiters, Zeller, Bennett, and Karasev on rookie deals. Varejao, Gee, and Clark all have team options. Comes out to about 33 mill and the current NBA cap is around 58 mill. So yeah, they wouldn't be able to pick up a $12M Bynum option and get LeBron if Bynum returns to form. But you can always move young guys to make room, they're all at reasonable numbers on their rookie deals.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 pm

I was thinking that a one year would make a lot of sense. If they end up amputating his leg then no big deal. If he revives his career, he's a free agent and you it lose him, and that's the chance you take. But you can sign LBJ* if he decides on a return, and aren't you allowed to go over the cap to sign your own free agent? Not sure how that works.

*im no longer qualifying every mention of LBJ with "I don't actually expect him to come back" because I'm tired of writing that, and it's stupid to have any discussion of FA or 2014 without acknowledging.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Andy has a $4MM buyout next year, Earl Clark isn't guaranteed, Tristan Thompson could become expendable very quickly, etc.

The Cavs could make the necessary money if they wanted too.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA