Text Size

College Sports Arena

2014 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2014 Recruiting

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Jamarco Jones moves Urban one step closer to solving the offensive line situation.

For those lamenting the quality of the OSU class so far,, here are the rankings of commits in the Scout 100 and 150:

35 Webb
47 Berger
52 Jones
59 Campbell
84 Hubbard
98 Holmes

133 Trout
140 Booker

For comparative purposes, UM has #7, #28, and #94 in the top 100
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:31 pm

danwismar wrote:Jamarco Jones moves Urban one step closer to solving the offensive line situation.

For those lamenting the quality of the OSU class so far,, here are the rankings of commits in the Scout 100 and 150:

35 Webb
47 Berger
52 Jones
59 Campbell
84 Hubbard
98 Holmes

133 Trout
140 Booker

For comparative purposes, UM has #7, #28, and #94 in the top 100

how many of the top 25 have comitted? Many or do they generally w8?

JJ disses UM. Never thought Sparty had a real shot. Nice.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Sparty finished in second, he was real close to a lot of their recruits. UM is the one that didn't have a shot.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Sparty finished in second, he was real close to a lot of their recruits. UM is the one that didn't have a shot.

Ah. ironically I was in Chiago 2 weeks ago. Meantt to get on the orange line to midway and got on green instead. Realized it about 2 seonds after the door shut. Waited at the stop to return overlooking JJ's HS.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Here are some links for you, jb

You can look at all the top kids by position, or overall...

http://www.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&yr=2014

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... -3202/2014

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Footba ... HighSchool

---

Then some national kids who are (or were, before committing elsewhere) considered at least in some way "prospects" for OSU:

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=9&c=4&yr=2014
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:47 pm

OSU climbing in team recruiting rankings for 2014:

24/7 Sports: (OSU #3)

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Footba ... amRankings

Scout.com (OSU #3)

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=9&c=14&yr=2014

Rivals.com (OSU #8)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... 14/all/all

All three services have OSU above UM, for the moment.

These rankings surprise me a little bit...this early. With guys like McMillan, Lattimore and possibly a couple more blue-chip OL's and one or two top DL's as well yet to commit, I wouldn't have expected them to be ranked this high...yet.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:10 pm

This class is very much underrated too. There are some guys in this class that are much better than their 3* ranking.

Dylan Thompson is the perfect example. As tight as the Buckeyes numbers are this year, as loaded as the Buckeyes are on the DL, Meyer and Co. still let this kid commit months and months ago even though they were in on some highly rated guys at the same position. He was clearly a plan A option.

This year's class is not going to be as good as 2013's (by rankings and flash), but it is lining to be a very strong class. If they finish with 2-3 of Eluemunor, Knox, Mavety, Prince and McMillan/Lattimore then this class will be an excellent compliment to 2012 and 2013 and really leave this team open to work any positions they want in 2015 as they should not have any crisis positions.

We may be a bit spoiled by the 2013 class, which I think is the kind of class that is the foundation of a couple of years of dominance. That class is JUST STACKED. Some of those guys are going to have to washout because 23 guys from a single class cannot possibly all make an impact at the same time, but there is not a guy in that class that I am disappointed about bringing in. Seriously, NOT ONE.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Pretty crazy to me Scout has Paris Cambell that high. Kid is incredibly physically gifted but he's coming in as a WR and can't run any routes yet. I think he'll end up a four star pretty unanimously, but until he puts in more work at WR he's a serious project.

That said, someone with his physical gifts at 15 is absurd. If he ends up 6'2" or taller as he very well could OSU has their tall WR.

Either way, until teams start filling up looking at team ratings is pointless. Rivals takes the top 20 ranked commits and compares them, which is the ideal number to me. Scout takes 25, 247 around 20 IIRC. Until everyone starts getting up in numbers ratings are far more about quantity than quality (UK having the #1 class w/ Rivals for a bit of time recently because they have 18 commits).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 pm

furls wrote:We may be a bit spoiled by the 2013 class, which I think is the kind of class that is the foundation of a couple of years of dominance. That class is JUST STACKED. Some of those guys are going to have to washout because 23 guys from a single class cannot possibly all make an impact at the same time, but there is not a guy in that class that I am disappointed about bringing in. Seriously, NOT ONE.

And they finally got a punter!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
furls wrote:We may be a bit spoiled by the 2013 class, which I think is the kind of class that is the foundation of a couple of years of dominance. That class is JUST STACKED. Some of those guys are going to have to washout because 23 guys from a single class cannot possibly all make an impact at the same time, but there is not a guy in that class that I am disappointed about bringing in. Seriously, NOT ONE.

And they finally got a punter!

Yeah, I am really excited about that punter too. He is supposed to be just awesome. I don't know if I am just drinking the Kool Aid or what, but he looks pretty impressive in that youtube video kicking the ball (with no rush).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:07 am

I just like the punter because he's not a pussy like all the rest of 'em.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks Dan!
jb

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:04 pm

JB,

Hopefully McLaurin's performance in the SPARQ prelims puts your mind at ease about the kid:

4.41 Laser timed 40
42.1" vertical leap
41' power ball

I couldn't find his shuttle score, but the top 2 numbers should be enough to put your mind at ease. Those top 2 are probably in the top 10 at the event which is a "who's who" of HS stars.

Curtis Samuel has put up some stupid times too. 4.36 40 and a 41" vertical.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Yeah, he's third in qualifying scores right now and will end up in the finals tonight.

Looks like Speedy Noil (WR out of LA) has a legit shot at breaking Mitchell's record from last year.

Booker ran a 4.53 today and the top WR/Athlete target Samuels ran a 4.36. Urban likes speed.

One thing to keep in mind with these scores is that they use that stupid ass pad to test verticals so they are fake as hell.

Full scores will be out tonight.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Oh yeah and Paris Cambell at 15 whole years old:

4.41forty
40.5 vert
4.16 shuttle.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:42 pm

The principle of operation for that pad is not an issue, so it is hard to understand why it is not accurate. The theory is that if you know the acceleration due to gravity (constant) and the hang time you can calculate the height. I agree though, those numbers always seem to be high. I think those numbers are best used as a comparison from one athlete to another. Ranking 1st, 2nd or 3rd (etc.) is still impressive.

Something else to pay attention to at The Opening is the height/weights. They actually measure and weigh the kids there (impartially) so now you can actually see how big the kids are.

Booker's 4.53 is ridiculous. Good LB size too at 6'3" 212. Based on those numbers, I think there is a shot that he does not become a LEO like I had always assumed. I thought he was already 225-230, I think he gains 20-30lbs which makes him ideal LB size.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:43 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh yeah and Paris Cambell at 15 whole years old:

4.41forty
40.5 vert
4.16 shuttle.

Yeah, those numbers are RIDICULOUS for his age. He is over a full year younger than most of the guys he is competing against.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Spence runs around a 4.5 too....

And remember all those Florida LEO's?

This is the era of the Urban speed LEO. And Booker's problem at LB has been a lack of instincts (same reason Marcus got himself moved). Now if he gets there and it all clicks, he could stick at LB. But, well, we're on year four of hoping for the same from one Mr. Curtis Grant. LB is one position where just being physically awesome can't get you anywhere. Same reason we need to see Mike Mitchell and what his natural instincts are.

Anyhow, kids have learned how to manipulate the vert pads, which is the key issue. I do agree though, rankings are always rankings. My only point was don't go looking at these way better than NFL Combine verts and thinking humans just took the next step in our evolution.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:50 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Spence runs around a 4.5 too....

And remember all those Florida LEO's?

This is the era of the Urban speed LEO. And Booker's problem at LB has been a lack of instincts (same reason Marcus got himself moved). Now if he gets there and it all clicks, he could stick at LB. But, well, we're on year four of hoping for the same from one Mr. Curtis Grant. LB is one position where just being physically awesome can't get you anywhere. Same reason we need to see Mike Mitchell and what his natural instincts are.

Anyhow, kids have learned how to manipulate the vert pads, which is the key issue. I do agree though, rankings are always rankings. My only point was don't go looking at these way better than NFL Combine verts and thinking humans just took the next step in our evolution.

Agree with all of it. Funny you mention Mitchell. I am nowhere near as high on Mitchell as many others. He is an awesome athlete but I don't see those instincts and that "flow to the play" that you see out of the great LBs. He is the anti-Kyle Berger.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:26 pm

I have no idea about the technology on the vertical jump measurement, but McLaurin put up a ridiculous 44'8" tonight to win the vertical by a pretty wide margin. I believe I heard his shuttle time was 4.04. That and a 4.40 40 time ought to put to rest the concerns that he was an afterthought and a Plan B type, no? They say the hands are excellent too...kind of important.

Slightly concerned about Webb's 40 time (4.67?), but they say he is so impressive in coverage that no one is worried about timing him.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 pm

danwismar

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:22 am

I agree you can manipulate the jump pad by bending your knees as you are coming down essentially taking more time to land and tricking the pad into thinking you jumped higher. However, my son has been to multiple combines with both juimp pads and the pole where you hit the stick things and if done correctly I think the jump pad underestimates vertical.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 am

In order to be considered a valid jump you have to come down straight legged. I think where it falls apart is that when you jump, you launch from the balls of your feet how with your feet extended so you are on your toes. When you land, you land straight legged, flat footed on your heels, so without some correction, the pad will overestimate your vertical by the change in height from your "tip toes" to flat feet which would be 5ish inches. Now as I peruse these combine numbers from the opening, subtracting 5" seems to make the numbers correlate much more with expected values.

McLaurin for instance, drops to a 39.8" vertical which seems much more plausible. I would expect at one of these combines that just a handful of guys would barely push 40". Even that correction doesn't really work though because it would effectively assume you are accelerating upward at the same rate as the acceleration due to gravity. The jumpers acceleration is a function of his power (work/time), so the more powerful the jumper the higher, the higher the acceleration, the lower the correction factor would have to be.

I am surprised that they don't have a vertical sensor that just measures the distance between the jumper and the ground and measure the maximum difference. That would be the most accurate.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:29 am

Oh yeah, in the end it doesn't matter if the jump is 35", 40", 45". Terry McLaurin's was the second highest recorded out of 168 of the country's best athletes. He clearly belongs in that group of elite athletes and that is all you can really glean from these events. You also get real 40 times as they are impartial, laser timed 40s and real height weights.

My general rule of thumb for non-national level combines is to add .2 to any reported 40 time and subtract 2 inches of height. If a player is listed below 240lbs I subtract 15-20lbs and if a player is listed over 310 I add 15 lbs. I have found that to be really accurate.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 am

Per Derek Young of Scout, Jermaine Eluemunor will be making his decision this Friday (July 5th). Most insiders are predicting a flip to OSU.

247sports has him rated as the #1 JUCO OT and the #2 JUCO overall.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh yeah and Paris Cambell at 15 whole years old:

4.41forty
40.5 vert
4.16 shuttle.

There's some interesting stuff going on with Campbell's recruitment. Word is the OSU staff doesn't see him as a running back, and they worked him out as a receiver in camp. Having watched that camp and having seen his hands in that workout, Bill Greene said he wouldn't trust him to hold his cell phone, and with his skill set, he should try to play corner. Campbell has said he wants no part of playing defense.

The kid is 15, and I wouldn't write off his ability to play receiver after one session, but like I said, it could get interesting.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Yeah, he's a three star WR recruit that is raw as hell at the position. He's in no way an RB at OSU. His hands are raw and his route running is raw, both of which can (and I expect will) improve, considering he never played WR before this camp season and he's only 15.

That's why I was shocked to see Scout with him in the top 100 prospects. The kid is a hell of an athlete, but he has a ton of development ahead of him. That said, it's not out of the realm he ends up a 6'3" 4.4 WR and shows better hands/routes once he gets comfortable and stops pressing.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:00 pm

The McLaurin kid sounded like a winner during his interviews as well.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:23 pm

FWIW: this is the list of guys Givler says spots will be held for till signing day if need be:

Damian Prince
Curtis Samuel
Raekwon McMillan
Glenville Kids
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:09 pm

That plus one OL and maybe the right DT would basically finish the class.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:14 pm

ROFL, like dying, at 247 having Booker as the #16 prospect in the country.

I swear sometimes they really, really, really obsess over 40s.

He's a borderline top 100 guy and no one from Ohio that Scouts would argue that, but #16 in today's rankings.... WOW. I mean no one who has ever watched him and Raekwon play has thought they should be ranked together.

That combined with their continued refusal to bump up Webb annoys me. Way too much 40 time emphasis.

See also Paris Cambell at 119 and Marcelys Jones somehow being ranked higher than Trout by 100 spots.

Here is Givler, a guy who only does Ohio and does the hell out of it like Greene's new 2014 Ohio Top 100:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ohiostate/footb ... /rank-3350
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 pm

I see what you are saying, but I think Givler's list is garbage. 247 dropped Marshall 50 spots last year after his bad 40 in the Opening last year (supposedly there was some issue with the starter that caused it to be a 4.66).

At least part of the reason Booker jumped was he was supposedly very impressive in 7 on 7s in coverage, some of the reporters said he was scary good in coverage. My biggest concern with Booker has always been that I don't love guys that play LB in HS that we try to project into DEs, they are different positions (obviously) and this camp tells me (based on Bookers now accurate measurables 6-3, 216 and speed/quickness) that Booker has the right tools to stay at OLB. He doesn't look as instictive as McMillan and especially Berger, but he is more athletic than both. Booker graded out as one of the fastest most athletic LBs in the country and showed good coverage skills, he should have gotten a bump.

FYI, they also gave Terry McLaurin a healthy bump too. Pretty sure that one was warranted too, and is not related only to a 40 time.

Their reluctance to bounce Webb is just stupid. He has been the DB MVP at damn near every camp he has been at this year. He is probably second only to Jabrill Peppers among DBs this year.

Givler is the only person in the universe that likes Snodgrass more the Kief. Mikel Horton, the 5th best player in OH this year? Ferns above Berger? Horton above Campbell? for a guy that only does OH, I don't think that he does it very well.

Parris Campbell at 119 is weird and I don't know what to think of it. Based on athleticism alone he is a top 50ish player, but he is changing positions in college. The kid is among the most athletic guys in the country at 15 years old, but he, like Jalin Marshall, is going to be doing something totally different in HS when he moves out to WR. I don't hate the 119.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Jalin came out at the UA game and shut everyone up though, Paris has really struggled to catch the ball at all of his camps.

And I implore you to watch Booker again and tell me he is a top 20 prospect. You've seen it and commented on it here, don't change your tune because he flips his hips well in 7 on 7s. Booker was MADE for camps and guys like him will always show well, that needs to be taken into account and stupid things like putting him as a top twenty prospect should never happen.

What do you have issues w/ on Givler's list though? I'm not sure where you could have issues especially since around number 10-40 are separated by a hair because Ohio is loaded w/ those high three low four guys this year that are really hard to separate.

Givler and Greene when it comes to Ohio Football shit on everyone else, by MILES. And Givler hit as many camps as anyone this off-season.

I'm fine with 247 but there lack of an Ohio guy combined with there speed obsession makes for some crazy over and under rankings.

Givler has seen Kief at three camps this offseason and he has been the third best Ohio WR at all of them. he doesn't necessarily like Snodgrass more but thinks they are both around the same. He doesn't like either of them to be honest and didn't think either were OSU worthy. He's been adamant about that and has given both about ten shots to change his mind. OSU offering both and then hardly recruiting them seems to back this train of thought up. It's well known OSU didn't push for Kief at all. Givler says Kief consistently doesn't run clean routes and doesn't show nearly enough agression going after the ball for a "bigger slower" WR type.

As for Horton, kid's film is awesome. He's just nowhere near and OSU fit. He blew away the camp circuit this summer after putting together a really nice film. Watch it and then go read the reviews from the camps he hit.

I can sort of see your point on Berger/Ferns. He honestly on differentiates them right now on Kyle not having the capacity to really put much more size on whereas Ferns can still grow and had equally solid showing at camps. Kyle's ceiling is as a 220 OLB, Ferns could be a 245 MLB. And again, this is a post summer ranking, senior films will change a lot. Givler openly said he understood questions on that one though.

BTW: He was the first person to start talking up Berger last year.

Paris is a guy everyone on earth thought would come out and get the fourth star this off-season and he has, frankly, struggled at every camp he has been at. Givler and Greene have both watched this (see Dan's post above) in person and neither would put him above 10-11 until his senior film comes out. Ranking Paris that high when he is struggling, badly, to do anything at his college WR is fools gold, both on the Scout and 247 National staffs.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Good sources at Rivals reporting Thomas Holley has a top two of OSU and PSU, the ND talk is bogus.

I still have no idea wtf this class is going to look like.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:43 pm

247 guys seem to think that the staff may shift to a "best available player" kind of mindset to finish the class outside of a couple guys that have locked down spots (McMillan, Lattimore, Samuel, Prince etc.). How do you turn Holley down, particularly when he is an excellent prospect at a position of need. The class is getting pretty full and they still have a ton of ridiculous options.

As for Booker, I am not blown away by 40s, see my numerous posts expressing concern over Mike Mitchell's lack of read/react. I was always concerned about Booker's ability to stay at LB and his ability to be a good OLB. He showed a lot of those skills I doubted in the camp against elite talent. Is he top 20? I tend to doubt it. Top 50? Probably, but you could make the case either way. It comes down to whether you like guys like Berger/McMillan who flash amazing insticts or guys like Booker that flash unreal athleticism. In the end, it is a great problem to have. If Dante Booker is your worst LB prospect in a class (I still have no idea what they are going to do with Hubbard), you are doing well. I absolutely love Berger and McMillan. Booker showed that he has amazing upside.

Also notice that I did not bat an eye at McMillan running slower than expected 40s. He plays faster than his 40 (just like Sabino played slower than his). McMillan is still the prize, I don't care what the stopwatch says.

Kief is a better player than Snodgrass and a better prospect. Will he succeed at 'Bama? The odds on Snodgrass doing well at UK are much higher because they are swimming in two different pools. I don't love Kief or Snodgrass as OSU prospects, but OSU would have taken Kief.

There are a shitload of Ohio guys at 247, it may not come out in the rankings because they have a lot of national guys too, but they have a lot of good Ohio guys: Duane Long, Mark Porter and Bill Kurelic to name a few. Porter is a part-time contributor over there who also runs "Scouting Ohio." I will say that their national guys like JC Shubertt are speed (40) obsessed. You will get no argument from me. I generally try to stay away from "This guy is clearly the #3 RB." None of them are clearly anything. They are either outstanding, excellent, very good, good or projects to me. Honestly, I think that 247's composite ranking is the best of all the rankings because it uses Scout, Rivals and 247.

So to split the LBs out: I think McMillan and Berger are both Outstanding to Excellent. I think Booker is an Excellent Prospect. I doubt that any service thinks as highly of Berger as I do, but I don't care. I think he is the kind of LB that constantly underrated in OH. Its hard to say what Booker will be, but he clearly has the tools. It is much easier to see the future for McMillan and Berger.

I have seen Horton and I don't like him. I don't think he is OSU caliber. I am sure he will get a lot of carries at UK, but I don't like his ceiling. I am not a fan.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 am

The thing with Booker that bothers me is a severe lack of instinctual LB play on film, way less than even Mike Mitchell.

When you are in a 7 on 7 setting, can run and know you just have to focus on two or three pass reads you don't have to absorb and react at all like a true LB does.

As I said, I like the kids physical potential, but this is a kid on film that consistently shines only when attacking Marcus style. At the end of the day meh, but an LB shooting up like that due to purely a single camp is absurd to me. A skill position would at least have shown a lot more true football play. Regarlless, he's a top 100 kid at least and we all can agree on that.

Horton just reminds me a lot of the kid from Warren last year that went to UM and in a down year in Ohio that's a fine prospect.

The Kief stuff, we'll just agree to disagree. I never wanted to touch him with a ten foot pole. At least Snodgrass has pure physical talent, Kief is flat slow. That said, Givler has openly said there is very little difference in terms of them and their rankings.

And yeah, no one can argue that 247's composite ranking is the best ranking out there, by far. Even if it includes ESPN....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:05 pm

One last thing on this:

I find it HILARIOUS that Rivals bans all other sites from their camp circuit and top 100 camp and The Opening in turn bans their national team. It leads to some awesome discrepancies just based on performance. Jalyn Holmes is the perfect example, he went up to the Rivals Camp with pretty much the same O-Line group and was phenomenal. A couple of weeks later he didn't have the greatest camp in Oregon. He ended up going up w/ Rivals and down with 247...

Just absolutely absurd the two biggest camps in the country have so much influence that crap like that happens. And the prospects eat it up so much it'll keep happening as long as Rivals and 247 are the king dogs.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:51 pm

SEC! SEC!

Adam Kramer ‏@KegsnEggs 28m
lol RT @TigerBaitWill: Sister of top OT Cameron Robinson of West Monroe LA, transferring from McNeese to Alabama after avg 1.6 pts & 2.5 rebs.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Nothing to see here. Did his mom get a six figure job in the AD?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:05 pm

furls wrote:Nothing to see here. Did his mom get a six figure job in the AD?

pffft. Massillion Washington perfected that in about 1935 (adjusting for inflation).
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:46 pm

jb wrote:

pffft. Massillion Washington perfected that in about 1935 (adjusting for inflation).

And Iggy's still doin it now.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
jb wrote:

And Iggy's still doin it now.

You couldn't have any less idea what you are talking about if you tried. And never forget, your HS wet dream for a smart kid like you would have been to suit up for Chuck Kyle.

Best thing after the Mooney mollywhomping inflicted at CBS was all these MV resident Mooney fans on call in shows asking "how does a roster of white kids with 20 of 22 starters actually looking like the student body composition end up being that good?" like it's not possible.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

^fanboy
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:57 am

e0y2e3 wrote:^fanboy

Damn straight.

"Ties".
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Raekwon McMillan junior highlights...Buckeyes still lead for top LB out of Georgia...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-nw56SARY4

stay till the end for the clips of him at running back....scary

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:39 am

Reminds me of Katzenmoyer.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 am

furls wrote:Reminds me of Katzenmoyer.

Except when Ignatius was hanging 300 second half yards on him in the championship game.

(That's for Eye ;-) )
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:44 am

Biggest thing that strikes me about that Raekwon tape is that when he meets RBs inside the tackles he actually wraps up and tackles with proper form.

Gets low, head to chest, rolls his hips, the whole nine yards. Not exactly something you see everyday these days.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:03 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Biggest thing that strikes me about that Raekwon tape is that when he meets RBs inside the tackles he actually wraps up and tackles with proper form.

Gets low, head to chest, rolls his hips, the whole nine yards. Not exactly something you see everyday these days.

The other thing that strikes me about a McMillan tackle is that the Running back is knocked backward. He is not a drag down tackler. Like I said, he reminds me of Katzenmoyer. The crazy thing is that it seems like OSU has been recruiting him forever, yet he still has a senior year to play. When you watch that film, physically, he looks like Andy Katzenmoyer as a freshman. I firmly believe that McMillan could start in the SEC this year. I think he could probably take Curtis Grant's job right now. Its not like Grant has a death grip on it.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:05 pm

This is going to be his sixth or seventh trip to OSU this weekend.

For real, this kid has come up from Georgia that many times already (and this weekend his whole family is coming with him).

And let's see if Meyer's comments on Grant yesterday pan out first, I'm praying they do. He had some extremely high praise for him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena