Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

81 game mark grades.

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

81 game mark grades.

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 am

Offense :B
Starters: C+
Defense: A-
Bullpen: C-
Bench:A++
Manager:A+

The Bunny reasons why?

Offense: They've hammered the ball, yet they go quiet when they see a guy they haven't seen before. And then they go deadly silent.

Starters: A few of them get there...and then they fall back. Masterson is special if can figure it out. So is Kluber, so is CarCar, so is Ubaldo... A ton of promise...C+ is a 6 game over .500 team. B would make us contenders. They need another arm. Seattle anyone?

Defense: That outfield is awesome. Infield, who care's when they hit like that.

Bullpen: Need that loogy. Hill is not the answer. Nor is Hagadone.

Bench: Best in MLB.

Manager: Best in MLB. :cheers:

/had a few but this needs to be diss,,,dicu...talked about.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: 81 game mark grades.

Unread postby 1Perry » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:32 am

Francona has had a big hand in making this one of the best (if not indeed the best) benches in baseball by keeping them involved on a regular basis.

Then again when they perform the way they have it's hard to not let them have regular playing time.

Heck, Gomes Aviles and Raburn are better than what the team had as starters many times the last few years.

I guess 7:41 is east coast time or you've started awfully early.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Santana and Reynolds/Chiz bring the defense grade down to a B by themselves even with Gold Glovers at every other position.

The Tribe is now tied with Detroit for the Central lead. That makes the overall grade an A, especially considering the difficulty of the schedule so far.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:52 pm

My biggest concern is that while we can beat the lesser teams, we struggle with the elite. I'm not sure our rotation is good enough to win a playoff series as it stands. I think they need to go after a starter, but everyone will be asking for Lindor....
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby 1Perry » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:02 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:My biggest concern is that while we can beat the lesser teams, we struggle with the elite. I'm not sure our rotation is good enough to win a playoff series as it stands. I think they need to go after a starter, but everyone will be asking for Lindor....

I think they are good enough to win a series when they are good enough to win a series. Unfortunately they aren't consistent enough to count on that.

On the other side the offense seems to be able to hit the best pitchers. As has been noted, it's the unknowns they have problems with.
Last edited by 1Perry on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Forgot a category

Speed - A-

It's so refreshing to have an Indians team that has team speed almost all the way through the lineup. Remember the days of Garko, Victor and Hafner hitting back to back?

That being said, our infield defense is pretty suspect at time. I get this feeling it's going to really come to bite us in August/September when each game becomes critical.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:25 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:My biggest concern is that while we can beat the lesser teams, we struggle with the elite. I'm not sure our rotation is good enough to win a playoff series as it stands. I think they need to go after a starter, but everyone will be asking for Lindor....

well if its a trade for an impact starter its either going to be a Lindor headlined package or a Naquin and Dorrsys Paulino headlined package and would prob have to include jose ramirez in either as well. Pick your poison I guess.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:50 am

To get a guy like Iwakuma we'd need to give back Carrasco, Paulino, and a guy like Salazar. Maybe even Wash. We are pretty set for the next few years position wise at the bigs in terms of contracts.

I only use Iwakuma because that is the type of guy I'd like to get.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:21 am

bookelly wrote: Maybe even Wash.

Hes hurt again. Nobody wants him right now
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 am

bookelly wrote:
I only use Iwakuma because that is the type of guy I'd like to get.

Only 2 guys I would trade Lindor or a lot of our upper tier players for, Cliff or Price.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:41 am

Is no one going to grade the FO? Like 1Perry said, our bench guys are better than the A-team that was out there some of the past years. Dolan lets a few moths escape his wallet while giving money to Antonetti, and Chris made some better choices this year in spite of less seeming to be available when we went into the off season. I remember back in December when they first traded Choo for Stubbs and the mood was "well, we got our 'one' this year". But...then the FO signs Swish! What, money thrown at a known player? Lots of money? For four years? Maybe five? But the surprises large and small were still coming. Myers - meh. Raburn - meh. Then....Michael Freakin' Bourn?

I know a couple of those were minor league with ST invites, but they did end up on the club. Or, in Myers' case, on the DL. But what was an interestingly different off season has, so far, resulted in a VERY interesting first half.

We're a small-market team with a small-spending owner, but in the end I think the FO deserves a B+ but an A for effort!
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 am

Agreed. Chris did a great job. Except for Myers (and he could still be our BP guy that we normally would have get in a trade - if only he were a lefty) Antonelli did a fantastic job. I was looking at the OPS+ for each of the bench guys; Yan 126, Raburn 144, Giambi 108, Aviles 96. That's one hell of a bench and Chris deserves credit. Add in Tito, Bourne, Reynolds, Allen, Albers, and Nick...that's a damn fine offseason considering last October we were face to face with a total re-build.

One other guy who deserves mad credit is Callaway. The development of Kluber and Zack is amazing. And you see Justin maturing into a legit ace, while Ubaldo throwing strikes. One blemish is Bauer, but that kid is too smart for his own damn good. Jury is still out on Carrasco...but he's good enough that he can be included in a package for that arm we need to make a serious push.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah he has recovered a little from some bad offseasons with a very good one this yea...problem is what really helped him was more $. No guarantee he gets that financial boon again, so im a little skeptical for next offseason, but I do like the guy. So yeah midseason for him A, but he still has alot more work to do(understatement of the year) He needs an A for a full year not half of one.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:26 pm

B+ for being in a tie for first place. They slumped and righted the ship, but they could very easily have another swoon in them. I don't believe in the bats, very streaky and unreliable.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:29 pm

First place now boy. Tigers lost
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:10 pm

I give the team a flat A. They are much better than I thought they'd be and being the number one basher, I have to give Ubaldo full credit this year. If you had told me he'd be capable of pitching 5 or 6 every game and giving the team a chance to win pretty much every single start I take it with open arms. I honestly can say nothing bad about him. He's been a really good 4 or 5 starter which is what we need from him. As far as Stubbs, I'm still not a fan, but as a 9 hitter he's fine. Plays good D and runs like a deer. I accept what he is as well.

For the long haul I still think Detroit has too much starting pitching for us to win the division and getting a wild card will be extremely rough as well with the two teams in the west and the plethora of teams in the east. I don't see playoffs for this team.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby Pabo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Kipnis B-
Masterson C-
Gomes C
Albers D
Santana D
Everyone else F
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB