Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 pm

I'll believe he hit a two inch growth spurt when hell freezes over.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I'll believe he hit a two inch growth spurt when hell freezes over.

Two inches. My God just think of it. 2 more inches would make all the difference in the world.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 am

All this TT vs Vala talk.
Did someone cue up "Groundhog Day?"

And I mentioned yesterday what some of you guys are saying... I though Crabbe was a steal in the 2nd round. He wouldn't have been a terrible pick at 19. Some folks had him going in that range if I recall. You want to give Kyrie room to operate? then put a few very good shooters on the floor with him
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:44 am

It could have been:
Bennett (PF)
Karasev (SF)
Crabbe (2G)
Withey (C)

That's not chicken poop for one draft in a bad draft year.

I know Withey isn't the answer to the promised land but he might be a serviceable backup post. For a 2nd round pick, he's a good post / rim defender. Both Crabbe and Withey were projected first rounders. I know we didn't get the post answers some Cavs fans wanted (Noel, Len) but some help is better than none. Going back to what Eye thought were two needs, a rim defender and an elite perimeter defender. The Cavs must have valued the latter with Felix.

And the Cavs saying they don't want 4 rookies on the roster... I get that, but you figure in the fact that you'll have at least one bust of the four that you cut loose, then you still have possibly 3 potentially serviceable rotation guys.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:07 am

This is bizarre:

Coveted UNLV power forward Anthony Bennett is taking a similar route to the pros as Cavs sophomore Tristan Thompson. Both are from Brampton, Ontario. Both transferred to prep schools in the States – first out East and then on to Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nevada. Both were one-and-done in school before declaring for the NBA Draft.

Maybe the Cavs should assign a scout full-time to Brampton, Ontario.

For the second year in a row the Cavs use their top pick on a fat, out-of-shape guy. At least this one was a starter in college and worked out for the Cavs prior to the draft. I guess the idea is that fat guys who can score can be transformed into buff guys who can score (see Barkley, Charles).

Woj had a bad day. First he tweeted that Bennett would drop, possibly all the way to #10, then he messed up his reporting on trades.

One thing that became clear is that none of these reporters had a clue as to how the draft is going to fall out. Bennett to Cleveland? Zeller going before Nerlins? I don't think anybody prominent even suggested either of these might occur.

Grant says they didn't make the final decision until less than 24 hours before the draft and there were some spirited debates involved. I thought that shows how close the decision was. Pluto says it came down to Bennet, McLemore, and Len. If he's correct, Noel wasn't even a finalist, but most of the media had the Cavs taking him. Turned out he wasn't even a top five pick.

In retrospect, the media in general was pretty useless leading up to this draft. The NBA teams do a great job of preventing leaks. Either that or none of them decided who they wanted until the final day. Maybe the CIA could use their help with information security.

I thought Hnat's column on the home page shed some light on why they took Bennett.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-cavaliers/4-cavs-archive/11224-its-always-obvious-in-hindsight
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Yeah, hugely bad day for Woj, he didn't know the Cavs pick like no one else in the world, made a typo that everyone else in the industry reported in the six seconds it was out there and he messed up on one trade.

All while nailing every single other thing that went down on literally the craziest draft in memory.

Guy should quit his job, he sucks at it.

Go back in the fucking hole you've been living in shit eater.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Quit his job? Just because he got "overwelmed" on draft day and couldn't get those keystrokes to work correctly and misreported a trade and thought Bennett might be the 10th player picked? I think that's a little extreme. We've all had a bad day at the office.

However, thinking there was a realistic chance Bennett could drop all the way to #10 makes me wonder just who his sources are. Surely none of the NBA GM's expected anything close to that, right? Who was he talking to?

Nothing against the guy personally, I was just using him as an example of how little even the most tuned-in reporters know about what these teams are thinking. However, ignorance doesn't stop them from churning out millions of words about what they think is going to happen. Hey, if they were paying me I'd do it, too. Nothing like getting paid for guessing. Great work if you can get it.

If Grant was telling the truth it seems the Cavs were a house divided on who to take at #1. If there was animated debate going on at midnight on Weds as Grant says, and if three players were under consideration, then there was no organizational consensus and it came down to Grant to break the tie. It will be interesting to see if he turns out to be right.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:12 pm

According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:23 pm

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Welp, I am once again retiring from this forum, shit-heel isn't worth the calories burned to read his retarded ramblings.

And Woj's sources on Bennet were most probably right, the issue is no one outside of the Cavs war-room knew what Cleveland was doing. Jason Lloyd (the reporter that Cavs feed info) said they made the final call 15 minutes before going on the clock. So if most of the GMs (Woj's sources are all in front offices) thought Bennet was lasting till ten that says a lot about the gamble Grant just took.

Now, go fuck yourself with a barbwire baseball bat troll. Only you could come in here and bitch about the best news breaking reporter in sports having an error out there for roughly sixty seconds on Twitter.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Prosecutor wins! In the 1,284th round via TKO.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby smalls1129 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:05 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:A 6'8" center combined with a 6'7" PF is asking to lose games and a lot of them.

And if you think TT is a good defender you are insane. I do agree Zeller hurt things and that is a variable at play, but he was gawd awful at defense last year.

For what its worth, I've heard TT's had a growth spurt and is closer to 6'10" now. I'd have to hunt down harder evidence, there's pictures of him next to SSB that supposedly show this.

Yea please hunt that proof down because a quick google search pulled up literally nothing... And that would definitely change the situation.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby JJN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:43 am

Looks to be about 6'10. He was 6'8.75" at the Combine with 7'1.25" wingspan. For comps, Al Horford was 6'9.75" with a 7'0.75" wingspan. Despite being shorter, TT already has a 1.5" standing reach advantage while Horford has somewhere between half an inch to an inch more vertical leap.

If TT has bulked up as well (which I heard somewhere was going to be his focus this offseason), then he could absolutely play center for decent stretches. If Brown can prevent our guards from being a seive and maybe slap a pair of nuts on Zeller, that should help TT out a lot defensively.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby JJN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:11 am

Speights - GONE
Ellington - GONE

Well, at least Ellington wasn't given the $3.1M qualifying offer. We also have to decide on CJ Miles, who has a $2.25M team option. If we decline it, we should be just right around $30M in committed salaries when you add in the new draft picks.

I'm hoping we plan on going the same route the Mavs did this year, and just sign a bunch of vets on 1 year contracts, unless we can find a someone worth locking up (Splitter?). The opportunity to take in LBJ or throw a max contract at Paul George is something that I think we need to hold on to unless we can score a stud somehow.
JJN

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:24 am

If they decline the team options on Andy and Gee in 2014, they'll only have about $19 million committed between Kyrie, Waiters, TT, and Zeller. Add another $8 million or so for the three guys they drafted this year and they're under $30 million going into 2014, assuming they don't sign anybody to more than a one-year deal this year.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

Could they sign a significant free agent this year to a long-term deal with most of the money front-loaded in a signing bonus and/or a big 2013-14 salary with minimum salaries from 2014 on, thereby adding another key piece while conserving future cap room?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby JJN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:09 am

We could offer a poison pill contract similar to Houston's deal with Asik. This would reduce our 2013 and 2014 liabilities.

Another option would be something like Nick Collison's contract extension, where the Thunder gave him a huge payout in the first year, and only a few mil per for the rest of the contract.
JJN

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Meh, athletic 7 footers that can defend, have soft hands and can run the pick and pop are one of the hardest things to find.

Truth.

If vala ever is that in all phases I may move to your position.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:28 pm

OldDawg wrote:All this TT vs Vala talk.
Did someone cue up "Groundhog Day?"

And I mentioned yesterday what some of you guys are saying... I though Crabbe was a steal in the 2nd round. He wouldn't have been a terrible pick at 19. Some folks had him going in that range if I recall. You want to give Kyrie room to operate? then put a few very good shooters on the floor with him

I'm trying to put that out of my memory, but I'm wichu.

I don't get it at all.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:31 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Now, go fuck yourself with a barbwire baseball bat troll.

OMG that would hurt really, really bad. I wonder if one could even exevcute that on self. You'd hav eto have the self-control of that crazy monk that looked like Sting in that dan Brown movie about the Vatican with Tom Hanks horribly miscast. I forget what it was called. But Tom hanks as Mister Action-Adbeture guy was a joke, even if he were to grow two inches.

Anyway, that would hurt, so I don't understand why anyone would....

oh. O get it now.

never mind.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Prosecutor wrote:If they decline the team options on Andy and Gee in 2014, they'll only have about $19 million committed between Kyrie, Waiters, TT, and Zeller. Add another $8 million or so for the three guys they drafted this year and they're under $30 million going into 2014, assuming they don't sign anybody to more than a one-year deal this year.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

Could they sign a significant free agent this year to a long-term deal with most of the money front-loaded in a signing bonus and/or a big 2013-14 salary with minimum salaries from 2014 on, thereby adding another key piece while conserving future cap room?

Start the Dewey watch now!!!!

:pigs:
jb

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:47 pm

I would think Nikola Pekovic is worth a big frontloaded offer, but do we even have enough minutes now with Bennett in the fold? Beyond him and maybe Tony Allen for a reasonable price, sit on the cap room for 2014 and maybe even collect some more assets by taking on one year deals from teams trying to shed salary (i.e. Dallas with Marion).
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby JJN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Casspi - GONE
JJN

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:I would think Nikola Pekovic is worth a big frontloaded offer, but do we even have enough minutes now with Bennett in the fold? Beyond him and maybe Tony Allen for a reasonable price, sit on the cap room for 2014 and maybe even collect some more assets by taking on one year deals from teams trying to shed salary (i.e. Dallas with Marion).

Why would we want to take on any one-year deals? So we can try and sneak into the playoffs next year? We'd be better off losing to get the higher pick. Besides, the only guys who are going to sign a one-year deal are players that nobody will offer a multi-year deal to.

What they should do is sign a guy who can play and is in the prime of his career to a multi-year deal that's severely front loaded so they have the cap space in '14 to try and bag an elephant. I don't know if that's possible, but it would be nice to add a useful piece for several years while maintaining the ability to go get a major player.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Why would we want to take on any one-year deals? So we can try and sneak into the playoffs next year? We'd be better off losing to get the higher pick.

Ahh! Then mantra of the Cleveland fan. We are months away from the season and already talk of tanking. I don't disagree, but its sad that what drives us is ping pong balls. Every year. Ping pong balls. Someday, it will end. And when it does, Kyrie will takes his talents....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
OldDawg

Unread postby JJN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Barring another season of catastrophic injuries (which is a whole other can of worms), I don't think we can afford to tank again. Yes, next year's draft is loaded beyond loaded, but it is also really really deep, so even if we make the playoffs, we will still get some premium talent. As of right now, it looks like Wiggins might be the only superstar talent, but there are probably up 10 star level players at the top of this draft.

Cauley-Stein is currently projected around 15, and Alex Poythress (who could have went late lotto this year) is currently sitting at the end of 1st round. No matter where we draft, we should be able to get a talent. No need to tank. Only real problem is that it is very weak for centers and PGs, and very stacked 2-4.
JJN

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 am

JJN wrote:Looks to be about 6'10. He was 6'8.75" at the Combine with 7'1.25" wingspan. For comps, Al Horford was 6'9.75" with a 7'0.75" wingspan. Despite being shorter, TT already has a 1.5" standing reach advantage while Horford has somewhere between half an inch to an inch more vertical leap.

That pic was what I was looking for. Thanks!
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am

OldDawg wrote: Someday, it will end. And when it does, Kyrie will takes his talents....

... to the Cleveland Clinic?
jb

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 am

jb wrote:
OldDawg wrote: Someday, it will end. And when it does, Kyrie will takes his talents....

... to the Cleveland Clinic?

Ha
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 pm

OldDawg wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Why would we want to take on any one-year deals? So we can try and sneak into the playoffs next year? We'd be better off losing to get the higher pick.

Ahh! Then mantra of the Cleveland fan. We are months away from the season and already talk of tanking. I don't disagree, but its sad that what drives us is ping pong balls. Every year. Ping pong balls. Someday, it will end. And when it does, Kyrie will takes his talents....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I wasn't implying they should tank. I consider tanking to be when a team trades productive players for future draft picks in an effort to lose games the following season. The Cavs won't be doing that and I wasn't saying they should.

They should stay the course, which is to collect talented young players and develop them while increasing the number of wins each year. I don't see them giving any one-year deals to 30-somethings just to try and add a few wins and reduce the playing time of the young guys they're developing.

They do have to get to the cap floor, though, so maybe they would give out a couple of one-year deals just to get to the floor while avoiding any long-term commitments.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby JJN » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:07 pm

If the team doesn' get to the cap floor, the money that it would require to reach the floor is divided between the players on the roster. You end up having to pay, but you don't actually have to add players, you just have to make it up in additional "bonuses" to your roster.
JJN

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Keep it muted if yer around sensitive types.

https://vine.co/v/haVPXTjW0v7
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:17 pm

T'Wolves just signed Kevin Martin and Chase Budinger. Throw a max contract offer sheet at Pekovic for the hell of it. They'll still more than likely match but will have to do some wiggling to do it.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:01 pm

They just need to renounce Kirilenko and they'll have no issues with signing Pek and filling out a roster.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA