Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Blue Jackets Off Season Thread '13

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Blue Jackets Off Season Thread '13

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 am

Draft order for the lottery teams was decided last night, and as to be expected the CBJ ended up with the 14th pick in the draft. Colorado won the Lottery , and the Florida Panthers will be picking second.

I don't pretend to know much about hockey prospects, but its pretty much assumed that picks 1 and 2 this year will be some combination of Seth Jones (D) from Portland, and Nathan MacKinnon (C) from Halifax.

Jackets have two other 1rnd picks, and are in need of scoring, scoring, and more scoring. If the Kings , and Rangers are early outs in the playoffs, those could be two additional picks could be pretty low as well.

What would be a better scenario for the CBJ going forward: Use all three first round picks, or try to trade all three to Florida and take MacKinnon?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Blue Jackets Off Season Thread '13

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:12 am

If the Jackets package picks to move up, I'd have to think Aleksander Barkov would be the reason why. He's Finnish and Kekalainen has seen a lot of him. He's the top-rated European skater in Central Scouting Bureau. You won't have to move into the top 3 to get him. He's a big kid, 6'2", 205, had a tremendous World Junior tournament, which is a tournament that draft-eligibles usually struggle in (Seth Jones did). Nearly a point per game in the Finnish league is very difficult to do. He's playing against grown men at 18 and having success.

You could probably package 14 + the higher of LA/NYR + a 3rd or something to move in there and get him.

If they keep 14, Ryan Hartman could be on their board. He played for the very explosive Plymouth Whalers of the OHL and was one of the two draft-eligibles on the US WJC team. He's got some skill (60 pts in 56 games), plays with some grit (120 PIM in 56 games). Also a great two-way forward.

One guy to watch is Mirco Mueller. He was Ryan Murray's defense partner in Everett of the WHL. He's the 9th-ranked North American skater. I don't think they'd go defense, but it's something to keep in mind.

Ryan Pulock is a name mentioned in one mock draft. Heavy shot, plays a physical game. But, again, a defenseman. Davidson and Kekalainen built the Blues from the net out, so they could go with a defenseman with the 14th pick. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, as I think their D still needs help, even with Murray in the pipeline.

Anthony Mantha would be an interesting player. He's 6'4" 190, so he has a frame to grow into. It's hard to put a lot of faith in scoring totals from the Quebec Major Junior League, but he had 89 points, 50 goals, in 67 games. Big guy with a scoring touch? Can't argue with that.

Marko Dano may be another name for one of their late firsts. He's played in two WJC tournaments already and has played in the pro leagues. He had a great showing for Slovakia in this year's WJC.

Personally, what I think you see is the Jackets move into the 4-6 range or keep all of their picks. Davidson and Kekalainen are probably asset-minded guys, meaning that they want to take as many players as possible and see who pans out. Kekalainen's area of expertise is scouting, so I'd expect the Blue Jackets to have a very good draft.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Suicide rate going to jump in Toronto if they don't win this in OT.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 am

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/92989 ... cket-sales

"The team says it has seen a 13-percent improvement in season-ticket renewals from one year ago, when the Blue Jackets were coming off perhaps their worst season in the NHL and sold around 7,000 season tickets. The team has sold almost 1,000 new season-ticket plans including fans who upgraded to larger packages."

So excitied for next year to start when you hear things like this...
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Jackets are going to get screwed in the Bobrovsky sweepstakes. The KHL is knocking on his door. He's going to win the Vezina. Teams are going to give him offer sheets because he's a RFA.

They're going to wind up paying this guy a ton.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 am

Yeah, so hockey doesn't suck...
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:30 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Jackets are going to get screwed in the Bobrovsky sweepstakes. The KHL is knocking on his door. He's going to win the Vezina. Teams are going to give him offer sheets because he's a RFA.

Bob wins the Vezina. The longer he waits to sign a contract, the bigger it gets... I think ultimately the KHL pays him and he is well-recieved over there.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 pm

kman_holla8 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Jackets are going to get screwed in the Bobrovsky sweepstakes. The KHL is knocking on his door. He's going to win the Vezina. Teams are going to give him offer sheets because he's a RFA.

Bob wins the Vezina. The longer he waits to sign a contract, the bigger it gets... I think ultimately the KHL pays him and he is well-recieved over there.

I don't think the KHL will be anything more than a decoy. He doesn't really want to play over there. This is the ultimate league in the world and he just won the award as its best goaltender. He wants a fat contract in North America and he'll get it.

Just another bargaining chip for his agent.

I fear the Jackets will overpay him, but it's not like they're in any cap trouble.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:48 am

That's true, I guess there aren't too many guys who leave in there prime to play in KHL. But how high of a priority do you think it would be to trade for MAF @$5.5 mil for 2 yrs or (*gulp Luongo $9.5 mil til 2022) if bob were to sign somewhere else?
kman_holla8

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:05 pm

kman_holla8 wrote:That's true, I guess there aren't too many guys who leave in there prime to play in KHL. But how high of a priority do you think it would be to trade for MAF @$5.5 mil for 2 yrs or (*gulp Luongo $9.5 mil til 2022) if bob were to sign somewhere else?

What I think happens is that somebody gives Bobrovsky an offer sheet and the Jackets match it. Bobrovsky is a restricted free agent, so the Blue Jackets, conceivably, could let Bobrovsky walk and pick up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks if they didn't want to match the offer sheet. The way it works is that the Blue Jackets would have to make a "qualifying offer", which, I believe is his previous season's salary + 10%. Then they retain his contract rights. Any team wishing to sign Bobrovsky would give him an offer sheet. The Jackets would have the option to match. If they don't match, they get compensated by draft picks.

I don't envision that happening, but it's another option.

I don't think MAF or Luongo would be options. When Davidson was in STL, he plucked two backups, Brian Elliott (OTT) and Jaroslav Halak (MTL), and they turned into one of the best goaltending tandems in the league. I really think you'd see Davidson go out and grab somebody's backup and see what he could turn them into. Howson did the same thing with Bobrovsky right before the lockout and it obviously panned out extremely well.

Ultimately, I think they sign Bobrovsky for somewhere between 4.75-5.25M. I think it's a little bit of an overpayment, but nothing that's going to handcuff them in the near future. They also have the option of an amnesty buyout on Umberger or Wisniewski, which I think should be seriously considered and would free up a lot of cap space, so much that overpaying Bobrovsky wouldn't matter.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:59 am

Can't believe Chicago came back with a finish out of a video game. What a series, with Ot's and one-goal games, and the president trophy winning team winning the cup. Fantasic games in nba and nhl, in last couple days have been great theatre.
kman_holla8

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:20 am

As expected St. Petersburg (KHL) has offered Bob $10 mil a year. They also essentially offered him the starting goalie position on the Russian National Team for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Tough if not impossible for the CBJ to match financially. Now the only question is does he want to play for the best league in the world, or is he home-sick and wants the money.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am

Govbarney wrote:As expected St. Petersburg (KHL) has offered Bob $10 mil a year. They also essentially offered him the starting goalie position on the Russian National Team for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Tough if not impossible for the CBJ to match financially. Now the only question is does he want to play for the best league in the world, or is he home-sick and wants the money.

Impossible to match financially. You can't put roughly 1/6 of the cap in one player. Kekalainen admitted as much. Said he would match any NHL offer sheet, but he can't match the KHL.

If he walks, I have the utmost confidence in Davidson and Kekalainen to find a goaltender. They'll also increase their focus on Oscar Dansk, currently playing for the Erie Otters in the OHL, and Joonas Korpisalo, who is still playing in Finland. One of those two, at worst, should be a high quality backup.

When I was shrugging off the KHL possibility, it was because I never figured an offer this year would come around.

It's up to Bobrovsky now. There's no way you can hate on the CBJ organization if they let him walk.

CBJ also have PLENTY of trade ammo if need be. Three first round picks, some quality RFA players, and a few prospects with some trade value.

CBJ may make an offer sheet to a RFA goaltender or try a young backup like Matt Hackett, Michal Neuvirth, or Jake Allen.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:34 pm

CBJ just re-signed Anisimove to a three year deal. Love this move , solid center, and only 25, aside from the draft picks he was my favorite part of the Nash deal.

I have faith that Davidson could find a replacement for Bob if the need arises , but I really hope we don't have to go down that road, losing the Venza award winner would be a real blow to the otherwise great attitude surrounding this club since Davidson and Jarmo took control.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 pm

3.283M cap hit for Anisimov. That's a pretty good deal for his skill set.

I wouldn't lose sleep over Bobrovsky. Did he play well? Absolutely. But he doesn't really have a big track record of it, but is going to get paid like he does.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:16 am

Getting Arty back was a big win. He's a player, works hard every shift and he scores in the clutch.

I want Bob back very bad, but I don't want to see the franchise handcuffed to giant contract for a guy with one great year under his belt. Mason did that, and it didn't turn out well.

If he wants to play in the best league in the world, for a team on the rise, he'll stay here. If it's about the money, he'll go back to Russia.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 am

He will immediately become the LBJ of Columbus ( All be it on a much smaller scale ) if he bolts for Russia.

If the KHL is able to pull this off it will be a major victory for that league , and help to further legitimatize it as competitor with the NHL. I used to think that the a typical KHL would struggle in the AHL, but now I am not so sure.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:39 am

Filatov and Zherdev soured me on Russians. Wastes of picks.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:55 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Filatov and Zherdev soured me on Russians. Wastes of picks.

And that was before the KHL was even in existence.

Like I've insinuated, I think Bobrovsky played over his head last season. He'll want top five goaltender money and he's not worth it. If he goes back to Russia for 10M and a spot in Sochy, which is a big deal since the Olympics are actually in Russia, I can't blame him in the slightest and most Jackets fans should understand it as well.

I just want to see a quick resolution.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:20 am

If he leaves, i'll take it as him wanting money in his home country, rather than playing at the highest level in the best league.

I would be disappointed, but not angry. If he wants to not try and live up to his potential, that's fine. It's his career and legacy.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Contract extension for Todd Richards through the 2014-15 season.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:If he leaves, i'll take it as him wanting money in his home country, rather than playing at the highest level in the best league.

I would be disappointed, but not angry. If he wants to not try and live up to his potential, that's fine. It's his career and legacy.

Agreed, even if he gives us a hometown discount to 7 or 8mil a yr...

tripods:
CBJ may make an offer sheet to a RFA goaltender or try a young backup like Matt Hackett, Michal Neuvirth, or Jake Allen.
Do you think Davidson has any interist in 33yo Dan Ellis (2.73gaa), or has said he perfer younger players?
(Neuvirth already re-signed with WSH in late April 2013)
kman_holla8

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:51 am

kman_holla8 wrote:tripods:
Do you think Davidson has any interist in 33yo Dan Ellis (2.73gaa), or has said he perfer younger players?
(Neuvirth already re-signed with WSH in late April 2013)

I think Davidson looks in the 22-28 range. Brian Elliott was 26 (signed for 600k! after refusing qualifying offer from COL). Jaroslav Halak was 25.

Didn't realize that about Neuvirth. I doubt it would stop Washington from dealing him, though. They've already got Braden Holtby and they could use a veteran backup that he could learn from.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Hearing BoB is on the verge of signing a 2 year contract with the CBJ.
No word on figures yet. But I am sure since its a shorter contract it will be a nice cap hit. But at least we wont get burnt if last year turns out to be a flash in the pan.

Heard that earlier this morning that CBJ where on the verge of trading him. Guess that didnt sit to well with Bob.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 pm

AHAHA! Suck on that KHL. Worthless league run by murdering mobsters and people who blow Putin. Russia sucks.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Govbarney wrote:Hearing BoB is on the verge of signing a 2 year contract with the CBJ.
No word on figures yet. But I am sure since its a shorter contract it will be a nice cap hit. But at least we wont get burnt if last year turns out to be a flash in the pan.

Heard that earlier this morning that CBJ where on the verge of trading him. Guess that didnt sit to well with Bob.

Who said that? Darren Dreger of TSN tweeted earlier that Bobrovsky wanted 6M per and the Jackets were looking around the trade market.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Clay Hall has been reporting it's all but a done deal for an hour or so now.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:52 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Govbarney wrote:Hearing BoB is on the verge of signing a 2 year contract with the CBJ.

Who said that? Darren Dreger of TSN tweeted earlier that Bobrovsky wanted 6M per and the Jackets were looking around the trade market.

Aaron Portzline "... Told #CBJ deal with Bobrovsky is for two years. Expected to be completed today, perhaps before the #NHL draft begins at 3 p.m ..."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:13 pm

I like the Rychel pick over Mantha. Maybe i'm insane with Mantha's goal scoring ability. But Kerby fits the Jarmo Jackets better IMO.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Well Jarmo said he wanted a power forward who can score, so he went out and got the best one available.
The $5.3 cap hit is actually about $600K less then I thought we would have to spend, so I am happy about that. Still it's a lot of money for a guy who has had his issues with concussions. But whatever , it's a huge offensive upgrade, probably gets us at least a 7 or 8 seed, and he is only 28.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:06 pm

With the assist going to the Columbus Zoo.

JD and Jarmo are just killing it.

Come get some.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I like the Rychel pick over Mantha. Maybe i'm insane with Mantha's goal scoring ability. But Kerby fits the Jarmo Jackets better IMO.

Been out of town, haven't had time to respond to any of this.

1. I'd prefer Rychel to Mantha, too. More complete player. Have to be careful with QMJHL stats. There's no defense in that league. Goal scorers like Mantha tend to float or be lazy in their own zone.

2. Bobrovsky - glad they got it done and didn't overpay too bad, mostly because of the length. I like the short term. If Cinderella turns into a pumpkin, they're not on the hook for long.

3. Horton's a big-time free agent move. That sends a clear message about guys wanting to play in Columbus. He'll miss the first half of this season with shoulder surgery, but he'll be a tremendous addition when healthy. Big body, scorer, good in his own zone, knows how to win. Nice pickup.

4. Jarmo and Davidson have been great so far. Some power moves and they're sending some strong signals to other FAs, the team, and the fans. Good stuff.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 pm

skatingtripods wrote:3. Horton's a big-time free agent move. That sends a clear message about guys wanting to play in Columbus. He'll miss the first half of this season with shoulder surgery, but he'll be a tremendous addition when healthy. Big body, scorer, good in his own zone, knows how to win.

You really think he will miss half a season? I keep hearing it will just be TNG camp.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:With the assist going to the Columbus Zoo.

JD and Jarmo are just killing it.

Come get some.

If Cleveland had Jack Hanna, Lebron would still be a Cav.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Govbarney wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:3. Horton's a big-time free agent move. That sends a clear message about guys wanting to play in Columbus. He'll miss the first half of this season with shoulder surgery, but he'll be a tremendous addition when healthy. Big body, scorer, good in his own zone, knows how to win.

You really think he will miss half a season? I keep hearing it will just be TNG camp.

Recovery time is 4-6 months.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Govbarney wrote:

Well, not the entire first half, per se, but through December is what the reports are. It's a major procedure. With a long-term commitment, they're certainly not going to rush him.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to The Neutral Zone